DoomSparkles

K-Drama: Cyberpunk edition

The day was cold. Flurries of snow filled the air and fell down on the electrical city below, trickling down into the neon lights that flooded everyone's vision. The town was crowded, despite the cold weather, with people bundled in their coats and scarves pulled up to their noses shuffling their way to their destinations. The bustle wasn't an extremely loud one, but it was what one would expect for a city this size. Though through the city's vast labyrinth, there sat a boy in a wheelchair. He was bundled up with his scarf pulled up to his ears and struggled to push himself along up a multi-leveled ramp. Puffs of smoke billowed from under his scarf as he finally reached the top, covered now in a coat of sweat. He took a moment to catch his breath before pushing himself to the door of the complex. He dug around inside his coat pocket before pulling out a card and touching it to the sensor, unlocking the set of doors. He sniffled from the cold and stuffed away the card before sluggishly heading in. The wheels slid inside of the room, the doors slowly creeping closed behind him automatically. He shivered from the cold, rubbing his arms in attempts to warm himself. 

Once sufficiently warmed, he pulled down his scarf to show his urban breathing mask. His appearance was much more clear under the white lights of the college dormitory. He had messy, black hair that was littered with a layer of white snow and blueish-green orbs. His ethnicity seemed Asian: more specifically, Korean. He brushed the snow from his hair and rubbed his hands together, warming his freezing fingers. He seemed young, in his 20's perhaps, but still had a youthful look about him with his somewhat large ears and smooth, pale skin. 

He should really be getting to his dorm... He would need to study for his exams and start dinner for his brother. With a deep breath, the male gathered his strength and headed down the corridor towards the moving walkways. The windows here extended high over his head. It reminded him of the hospitals...hanging high over the city in their tall white buildings. He studied the city with its hologram advertisements and neon lights. This was nothing but a typical day...but he enjoyed looking out on the city from the glass windows. There was something about it that made him think of jellyfish in a tank.

The walkway ended and his chair rolled off the belt and into the main lobby where he found the elevators. He hated how far away his dorm was from his classes. He missed how his brother used to teach him at home. Though it wasn't as though he and his brother could complain; they were going to school for free after all. A little inconvenience was to be expected he supposed. He pushed the button for the upper level and waited for the room to come down the glass tube. He had to admit, these facilities were pretty advanced and nicely kept. Much better than the apartments his brother and he came from. The big city was a change too, but he was slowly getting used to it. The elevator made a soft ding, and the doors slowly opened. Wheeling inside, he pushed his desired floor and watched the doors slowly close.

Turning towards the glass wall, he gazed out onto the city again. His brother was in that far building... He said he had to go in for a few more tests, something about scanning over his optic nerves worked...Or was it the nerves in his brain? He could never get it right...His brother was always the one who understood all the biology and medical terms they slung around. But said he would be home in time for dinner. He always made it home for dinner somehow. A smile softly crept to his lips as he remembered how his brother would come into the room, panting and out of breath from whatever silly errands he had to do that day. His blue eyes tired and blond hair all in a mess, but once he was home, that goofy smile spread on his lips. He would laugh, rubbing the back of his head with some excuse of how he ditched early to come home, or how he "got done testing early". No matter what had happened that day, he always felt better when his brother came home.

The doors opened and he snapped back from his thoughts. He rolled himself inside of the halls and in front of his dorm room. His hand dug into his jacket for his key card...but his hand came back empty. Fear gripped his chest. Did he...? Did he drop it? He swore he just had it. It had his picture on it with a chip inside meant to open his door easier. His brother was the only other one who had a key. He couldn't bother him with anything more... He had dropped his whole life for him. Besides, he checked his phone. 16:07. His brother wouldn't be back for a few hours. The male ran his small, stubby fingers through his hair and groaned. Perhaps he had left it in the hallway...? Or it had fallen out on his way through the doors.

@Skyscraper

A box dropped somewhere in the hallway, the items it contained rattling about making quite a loud clatter. A short, skinny girl kicked it aside and picked up a small object, examining it carefully. "Kayleb Chuu..," She mumbled quietly, flipping it over and rubbing her thumb over the small photo, "Hmm." She looked up, and slid it inside her pocket, picking back up her box and heading straight to the North wing to her new dormitory. She walked slowly, looking out into the large windows showcasing the beautiful city in which she was raised, its familiarity comforting, and counted the details. "Fourteen women with children..," she said quietly, "five with husbands, two with wives, six alone...," she bit her lip while observing and looked closer, "seven people homeless in sight.. three sonic blue buildings, one yellow, the majority gr- no, dark blue..., and is that fifteen ads? I think so, alright so fifteen ads this afternoon." 

Satisfied with herself, she scurried past a few people, muttering "excuse me,"  a few times before accidentally bumping into a boy in a wheelchair. Immediately recognizing him as Kayleb, she broke into a run and yelled, "SORRY!" Before turning a corner and disappearing. She looked around, understanding she was mostly alone, and and dug through her pocket until she found the card. She threw the ID into the air and it began to hover and glow. 

"Research Kayleb Chuu," she said quietly, watching her device do her work quickly as it picked up a couple files about a boy who was in a wheelchair. He was attending university with his brother on a previously organized financial aid situation. She emailed herself some of the data quickly, making note of his ID number and pressed the power button. The card dropped swiftly back into her hand, and with an accomplished grin, she slid it back into her pocket, seemingly unnoticed. 

@DoomSparkles

Edited by Skyscraper

Kayleb sighed and began his trip back towards the elevator. However, he was interrupted by a girl with a box. He hardly had time to throw on his breaks before she bumped into him. He looked up and saw her face. She was a very pretty girl. He hadn't hadn't her around before, not surprising. He only got out for school and short trips with his brother. His heart seemed to pound out of his chest from the start of being ran into. Reasonable enough he guessed, she was carrying something. Maybe she didn't see him. The halls were pretty spacious though... when he opened his mouth to say something she suddenly seemed like she saw a ghost and bolted screaming an apology. He was very confused...

The card looked very boring. A regular white and blue card with his picture. But was awkwardly large, larger than an index card even. It contained medical information it about how to treat him should he have one of his fits, emergency numbers, his address, the university logo with a circle around it, and the coded panel. There was little she could pull from the card. Any attempts to further research his "financial assistant" pulled up with an error. Any normal means of research didn't pull up so much as a wiki of the organization. There were several lines of blacked out boxes of information. The only lines that were clear were simple information about him. Eye color, hair, height, weight, and a note about his physical health of his struggle with walking. He was to be given access to the side ramps on the buildings and handicap areas due to his inability to use his legs. His parent's information was also blanked out. The only tab of interesting information was: "Due to unfortunate circumstances XXXXXXX will be providing Mr. Chuu and his brother with a full ride to Universal Technology University" and one other interesting bit. It looks as though the university was looking for an assistant to help the lad get around the campus due to a problem with his lungs.

He slowly began his trek towards the elevator once more. He knew he had it at the door, it had to be in the building. He would just...calmly retrace his steps and everything would be fine. He hoped. The male looked pretty devastated at the loss of his key.

Edited by DoomSparkles

She turned around, once again setting her dainty little box by the wall, and approached the guy. Reluctantly, but surely, she dealt with her worry about being yelled at and calmly tapped him on the shoulder. 

"Hey," she said quickly, fumbling inside her sweatshirt for the key card. "I - erm, I think that this is yours?" She gestured out her hand for him to take it and continued on with her apology. "I kind of, well, I took it. I mean I knew it was yours, It was more like borrowing?" She explains quickly, scratching her head, "I was gonna give it back -- I was just..borrowing it. For purposes..," she inhales deeply, trying to avoid eye-contact and looking everywhere but at him. 

"Anyways I'm really sorry, I am. I just thought you looked interesting I guess... and sorry about bumping into you earlier..it was kind of rude. Sorry. I guess I sort of come off as a naturally rude person huh?"  

@DoomSparkles

Edited by Skyscraper
sorry for the late reply!

Kayleb looked back with confusion. It was that girl from earlier. He blinked and turned his chair around to face her. Eyeing the card, his brilliant blue eyes lit with excitement as he snatched it from her hands. "Ooooooh my God thank you," he said with the biggest sigh of relief he could manage through his mask. He hugged the key to his chest and listened as she went on.

He furrowed his brows with confusion. The key only worked with his finger print. It wouldn't open any doors otherwise. He looked over the card then back to her. "Why would you need to borrow it...? This card isn't exactly useful to anyone unless I'm having an attack," he asked, rather confused about the whole situation. She wanted to know more about him? He was interesting? Perhaps she wanted to know why he was in a chair. That's probably what she meant. He doubt she knew him from anywhere, or at least he couldn't remember ever seeing her. She seemed very awkward. He could relate to that. "D-don't worry about bumping into me, it happens. Not exactly very tall in this thing." He gave an obvious gesture to his chair. He didn't seem disfigured. In fact, he appeared very normal besides the mask that muffled his words a bit. Although his legs seemed very still and dead. If one were to ask him, he would reply they felt like they went to sleep and never woke back up.

Edited by DoomSparkles

She laughs, looking down at her feet shyly and then back up at the random spots she was staring at above him. "Yeah haha, sorry about that," she apologized, finally looking at him. She fiddled with her fingers and she tried to figure out what to say. "I like to know things I guess? I like to know the details, and I picked up the card and wanted to know who it was -- I probably should of jut given it to you though. Sorry about that...," she trailed off, wandering her eyes back to her box and down the corridors. "It probably doesn't make any sense." 

Her pink hair was chopped short right above her shoulders, some strands covering her tired pale brown eyes accompanied by dark eye-bags. She tucked part of her hair behind her ear and adjusted the height of her jeans before continuing on, "I'm Faye by the way. Faye Jaimee." 

She was correct about that. He couldn't understand what she was going on about. He was just a boring cripple. He wasn't even that smart. His brother was the real smart one, he wanted to be a neurologist and this school brought him that much closer to it. He was glad that he was able to get into such a great university with the partnership they got, and a full ride at that. He just couldn't believe it. It seemed too good to be true, but here he stood--well not stood, figuratively he supposed.

He snapped out of his thoughts as she introduced herself. "Ah, my name is--well, I suppose you already knew my name from my card, but it's Kayleb. Kayleb Chuu. I live here in the dorms with my brother, Gabe. Are you...finishing up moving in?" he asked, gesturing to her box.

(( jesus really sorry i didn't reply! im super late)) 

"Oh," she said looking down at her box, "This? Yeah.., still moving in. Almost done though," She adds, flashing a smile. Faye quickly looks down the hallway and waves to her roommate walking into their dorm.

She's nice, but she hopes that it won't be too difficult to live with her. Her box consists of the basics. Some toiletries,  a stuffed animal, an alarm clock, and a necklace. She can't really think about another conversation topic, and really should be getting to her dorm but she finds him so interesting for some reason. She wants to know more about him. "Where's your brother?" She asks, trying to subtly pry.