Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend Season 3

IZemira had barely adjusted to her seat, her lips grazing the rim of the cup, when the bartender,  curiously, asked for her to check her armor. Personally the paladin felt like this was a bit too much. Studying the blue coin she'd received with her eyebrows slightly furrowed in perhaps contempt, she parted her lips but then she changed her mind and shook her head.

"My armor stays near me," she murmured, glancing briefly at the woman. Zemira wondered where she came from, although she doubted that she would be able to relate with her background, like this man. She couldn't imagine working like this, serving beverages and possibly food, to people who could easily get it themselves. She'd been taught that killing corrupt creatures was more than useful, since you rid the world of one menance at a time. But the young girl wasn't disgusted of his work, just knowledgeable of what was needed and what was not.

Considering her own past, which wasn't very "exciting", in the term, Zemira mused about what she should tell this man who liked a little spice in his life. Tapping her now empty cup against the counter, the paladin said, in a thoughtful manner, "Um... you could say that where I came from I was raised as a child to be focused solely on what I'm doing today, "fighting evil monsters" and trying to keep peace, but...sometimes..." She paused, rubbing the back of head nervously. "Sometimes...well, everyone views the world in their own way, which includes who is the monster and who is the hero, and sometimes when I look into the eyes of the allies of my enemies, they look at me as if I'm the monster, slaughtering their friends like a maniac with no mercy..."

Realizing that what she said could make things be taken the wrong way, she quickly added, "And their are different monsters, the ones that live within everyone that makes them become something they'll regret, and I'm not sure if ten year old me was prepared for that..." She tried not to think about the vile things people did that could amount to them being woret than an actual evil beast. She almost took another sip from her cup before realizing it was empty.

Staring at the bottom of the cup in blandly, she said, "My name is Zemira. Ywain." Maybe she shouldn't have offered her surname but it was already out there. Besides no one here would here of her again, most likely. She eyed the bartender.

A human girl of small build, yet curiously tall, stood on shaky legs in front of the tavern door, hand hovering, ready to open. 

"This is dumb," She told herself. "Why are my legs shivering? They shouldn't even be able to do that anymore..." She mused, thinking about the impracticalities of her limbs. "It isn't cold out. At least.. Not for me. I'm wearing my nice, comfy jeans. My favorite red T-Shirt isn't dirty for once. Why am I like this?All the way here, her legs had felt heavy- but, might I clarify, that was actually totally normal. You see, a large portion of the girl's body had been replaced with mechanical prosthetics, and both of her legs were essentially giant, moving hunks of metal- but she'd gotten used to the weight over the years. She'd been in far more dangerous situations than this. Knife fights, muggings, wrestling with bears- ....  wait, what?

But this? This was kid gloves. Why was she so terrified? "So." She thought. "So. So what I haven't talked to another sentient, well meaning being in... Uh... Years? So what if I have to walk into a den of said sentient, probably well-meaning beings? I can do this. This is nothing. Haha! Yeah! That's right! I can-she stopped short of swinging the door open. "HHHHHH IM GONNA DIE" Sliding down into a sitting position against the door, she rocked back and forth, holding her head in her hands- one metallic, and one organic.

Edited by Higuu

"That sounds like a tough job."

Jestan admitted. He was empty handed now, all of the mugs and flasks cleaned and dried, and the tavern having shifted from the chaos of the morning to the lull before the lunch rush supplied him with an ample strip of time to focus his attention on this patron in particular.

Not just in what she had to say, but in the way she said it, the hollow tone wrapped around her words which reflected outwards a certain hollow quality she felt inside, the distance which glossed her eyes . . . he could tell that this all weighed on the woman, deeply.

"Jestan." The bartender gestured to himself when she busied herself with speaking into her cup. He was glad that she was looking down a well of water rather than one of whiskey. The way he heard it told, drink helped one cope, but not in a healthy way, and more often than not it just masked the pain while also making it worse.

"You're not ten years old anymore though, right?"

She had young features and a petite frame, and for the moment that the thought was alive in his mind that she was only very shortly removed from what sounded like a great deal of trauma terrified him.

"Just because things used to be a certain way doesn't mean that's the way they have to continue to be. Not matter how long things were done one way, they can always be done another. You can always make the choice to start making different choices. It isn't about trying to erase the past or anything like that, just, I guess, about trying to do the things that makes you the kind of person you don’t' mind being."

@Zemira Ywain

She sat, muttering, rocking back and forth, her fingers pressing hard and harder- "What'll they think of me? I'm a freak, an oddity. There's nothing natural about me. Why am I here again? Christ, why did I come? I don't need anything. I could just leave and go back to my clearing. I don't need to be here. This isn't right. I can just live in the woods. I have everything I need. I can go. Yeah, I can-

she stopped, feeling a trickle run down her scalp. She'd been so distressed that her nails had dug into her skin, causing her to bleed. Pausing, she slowly drew her hands away from her face, looking at the crimson liquid. ".... What?".... I.. I need to calm down..." She stayed sitting, her back to the door, staring at her fingers.

Edited by Higuu

Half-lidded and as blue as they were cold, annoyed, and disinterested, a pair of eyes glanced down at the mess of a girl blocking the entrance to the tavern. They belonged to a small girl who looked no older than 12 and couldn't be an inch over 4'10. She also looked to weigh roughly 90lbs, but like her age, this was a miserable deception. The frills of her black and white serving dress fluttered as she placed a single shoe on the amputee's right shoulder. A quick shove, one that was almost gentle sent her sprawling to the left of the tavern door, giving the tiny bartender space to open it.
"Pull yourself together. You're blocking the entrance." A voice like ice, frozen and uncaring came from porcelain lips. With shockingly vibrant blue hair done up in a ponytail and pale, flawless skin, the girl looked and sounded every bit the part of a doll. With a quiet grunt she grabbed the bleeding woman by back of her shirt and with what seemed to be little effort dragged her, metal bits and all, across the threshold and up to the bar where she shoved the girl onto a stool.

After walking behind the counter with a certain grace that a trained eye could point out as coming from a martial background, a hissing sigh rang out from her chest. All that the patrons on the other side of the bartop could see of the girl was the white bow holding her hair in place. She was too short to even see over the counter. A brief sapphire light flashed, painting the ceiling for just a moment before fading, and suddenly the girl's chest and head popped out above the bar. A pair of blocks seemed to have grown from the soles of her shoes, giving her enough height to do her job properly.

She looked to Jestan and gestured with her jaw to the tavern's exit. "Your shift is over." short and blunt. She didn't ask for any details, the tab, anything. Simply ushered the man out of her way. With a nod of the head, he acknowledged what the new bartender said. He leaned over the bartop, holding a hand close to his lips. "Keep your head up, Miss Ywain. Rainza here can probably relate to your troubles. She'll be a better listener than I am," he assured, before smiling and whisking his way through the employee exit.

"Rainza", the new barkeep said, jabbing an index finger at her own face. This was said to no one in particular, she seemed to be introducing herself to everyone present. "Can I get you something to drink or eat?" she asked both Zemira and the idiot who had drawn her own blood, looking from one to the other. Her eyes came back to the girl with prosthetics and stuck to her. Sighing once again, she continued. "...and some bandages?"

@Zemira Ywain @Higuu

Edited by Avvercus

Shocked at the ease of which she was picked up and dragged, she stays silent and unresponsive. When she is roughly shoved down onto the stool, she jolts back into reality, and starts mentally hitting herself. "Of course someone would get pissed! You don't just sit in front of a tavern door and block it! That's so dumb! Dumb!She wants to be pissed, but the girl is to thank for bringing her back to reality. 

The metalized girl shivers, looking around. "W-what?" Looking at the girl, she fixes her posture a bit- still slumping, but not as much. She seems fairly tall for a nineteen year old girl. Glancing down at her hands, she blows out a small puff. "Oh.. Yeah, sorry about that." She twines her finger together, messing with them unconsciously. "Bandages?... I.. Dunno?... Yes?.. Please." She gives the girl a sheepish grin. "I.. Didn't mean to be in your way.." Her face is downcast.

"I, uh.. Can you get me, um.." She pauses to think. "Wait... Am I even allowed to drink?..." She looks around, face reddening. "Well.. Uh.. Food..." A hesitant moment. "What.. Do you serve here?" and she takes a deep breath, her color increasing, before she asks the next question.  "A-Ah.. Well.. What type of currency do you take here, again?" She starts to mumble, her back sliding into an even lower slouch, her fingers starting to dance around each other. 

"I.. Should have enough for whatever... But.. I might not have the proper type.. But I can.. Can.. Get you something else... As payment.. O-or do something.. Or.. Uh.. Trade.." She trails off. Her fingers are locked together, the knuckles on her human one white, quiet sounds of metal clicking on metal. Shakily, she pries her fingers open, and coughs into her metal fist. She looks at it, then back up at Rainza. "Uh.." Her eyes start darting about, and the color in her face drains. "Y.yeah.." Anxiously, she fidgets in her seat, and locks her eyes onto a grain in the wood of the counter.

Rainza raised a brow, seeming to stare into her customer's very soul. The bumbling, clumsy, nervous wreck type. She clicked her tongue instead of shooting off a string of biting words. This job was going to test her patience, as it should. She was basically shoe-horned into it by that damn mage. But, she understood the reason. She was to learn better people skills. Mainly, amiability.

"Stop. Deep Breath. Think. Speak when you figure out your intentions. Tripping over your own tongue makes you look weak, and weak is not something you want to be in this world," she said slowly, in a more neutral tone. Her poise and manner of speaking didn't match the child-like voice. It was like a woman much older was trapped inside. Her eyes stayed on the girl while her hands moved. A clean, heavy-duty wooden mug was filled with milk and slammed down on the bar in front of nervous-girl. This one was annoying enough to deal with sober. There was no way she'd give her alcohol unless it was specifically requested.

A hunk of fresh bread joined the milk. An easy meal, soft and filling. "Show me what you have. We accept all currency here. Exchange rates vary. If you don't have enough... I have a task you can take care of that will also get you a room for the night."

@Higuu

She starts to stutter, then bites her tongue. "This girl.." Her thoughts are wild, crazy, and jumbled. "What? How can she...? How?.. Confidence? Wish I had that. But weak? Nah. Not weak. I'm not weak.. Am I? I mean, I guess I could be.. With people..

Who is she anyways?" 

She raised her gaze, and looked at Rainza. A look of confusion spreads over her face, overtaking her nervousness. "Uh," she shifts, taking her pack off of her shoulders. "Where.. Am I, again?" Digging around in her bag, she pulls out a couple coins. Odd- they don't seem to be anything you've ever seen before. Engraved with detailed pictures of dragons and strange lettering, they seem to be made of several different types of metal.

"And..." She pulls out a thin, red, leather-bound book and a pencil. Opening the book reveals many more pages than visible on the outside. She flips to an empty one and starts writing something on it, glancing between it and the girl. "I'm sorry, but do you think you could get me.." She twirls the pencils in circles, a thoughtful expression on her face. She makes a tch sound and slams the pencil onto the counter. "Crap! I forgot!"

She flips several pages back, and starts scanning. She seems to be tuning out the world.

Her expression changes, but you can't place it. 

"Okay. I probably don't have enough for this, so I'll do whatever task you need me to." She circles something on the page. "Do you have this?" She spins the book around and points to the circled word- It's some cheap type of wine. If you look elsewhere on the page, it's all sorts of weird, random listed items. You don't know what it's for. "I kinda actually really need this exact thing right now, so I'll do near anything right after- uh..." She looks around. "And.. A little soon, please?" She cringes, realizing how odd she must sound.

@Avvercus

Edited by Higuu
I screw up on stuff :/

Rainza's eyes narrowed, growing more and more irritated as her customer prattled on. Finally, she slammed her fist on the bar, with far more force than her tiny arm should have been able to generate.
"Enough. Eat. Talk after. This tavern is special. You have as much time as you need here. Rushing is unnecessary." She commanded cooly, staring the girl down.
She ducked under the bar suddenly. Things being rummaged through could be heard for a moment before her head popped back up. A map was produced, slammed down next to the bread.
"The world is called Valucre. You're in the tavern of legends," She Informed gruffly. Immediately afterwards, the girl turned and and disappeared through the service doorway behind the bar. A great deal of banging, crashing, and swearing could be heard for several minutes before Rainza returned, her dress disheveled and her expression somehow more sour than before. She set the bottle, notably more gently than the other things she'd set before the girl, into the bar. Her fingers were iron-clasped around the neck of the wine.
"Your name?" She practically demanded. If her customer attempted to take the bottle without giving into that demand, she'd fine the bartender's grip unyielding.

@Higuu

"A-Ah.. I was rude, sorry. I'm Keira. Keira... Schall.. " She's taken aback by the show of anger. Extending a hand to shake diplomatically, she gives a small, apologetic smile.

"Yours was.. Ranz.." Muttering underneath her breath, she says to herself, "No, that wasn't it.. That sounds like a dude's name.." She looked up again. "Or... Am I close? Sorry, I have pretty bad memory problems. Some short-term things just.. Go." A laugh. She gestures towards the bottle.

"And I, uh, don't intend to fight you for that bottle, not really.. And it may sound odd, but I... Don't need to drink it, either, if you're worried about me getting drunk." She withdraws her hand, unconsciously making snapping motions with her thumb and forefinger, but no noise is created. After a second of thought, she talks again.

"I.. Don't think I can even get drunk, anyways, now that I think of it..." She glances towards the bottle again, and extends a hand.

"May I have the bottle, please? It would be better not to spill it in here." She offers no explanation as to her "in here" specification.

@Avvercus

Edited by Higuu

With lightning quick reflexes, Rainza grabbed the extended hand. It was odd, the way she took it, wrapping her palm around the girl's metallic thumb at first as her knees bent slightly and her feet spread out barely wider than a shoulder's width. Her eyes shut and she let out a sigh before slowly releasing the thumb and shaking Keira's hand normally, standing up straight, and relaxing her pose.
"Rainza. Just Rainza."
Amiable. Be amiable. She isn't a threat. No more misanthropy. Amiable.
As she let go of Keira's hand, letting the cool metal slip from her deceptively delicate digits, a small smile graced her lips.
"Stop apologizing. Relax. Here," she pushed the bottle towards her patron, letting go of it.
"If you make a mess you're cleaning it. As for your task," She continued, tapping the map with one finger, "you're going here, to the Haunted Glen in Terrenus. All you need to do is locate a Luxcil tree. Easy to find, they glow. Purple flowers grow from their bark. These do not glow. I need 10 of them, intact. Simple, yes? If you have questions, ask," Rainza explained, opting to omit quite a bit of information. Part of her job was to ensure that those who came here were ready to venture out into the world. She was not gentle about it.

@Higuu

Edited by Avvercus

Keira shoves the bottle in her backpack. She makes no comment about the odd reaction to the handshake, nor does she ask any further questions. She also grabs the hunk of bread and throws back the glass of milk, downing it all in one drink. She shifts uncomfortably for a second, and then stands up. "So, I leave now?" She says energetically, ready to go.

If you look closely, you may be able to see that her earlier injuries are already gone- but the blood is not.

Without waiting for much of a response, she heads for the door, stumbling around tables and chairs, and awkwardly opens it. When it's half-open, she turns back and waves at Rainza, silently mouthing the words "thank you". Her pack is still open as she leaves- and her book falls away from her as she steps outside. Clicking the door behind her, she never realized the absence of her most valuable possession.

She is most likely sprinting blindly down the first road she sees- she hadn't even taken the map with her.

Idiot.

He felt sun rays warming his face and started to shiver. Ben opened his eyes only to close them immediately after it turned out that his face was directed right towards the blinding sun. He felt cold and had a headache. Other thing he noticed was the fact, that he was lying on something uneven.

- What the hell, why am I lying? - he asked himself and tried to get up.

With some effort he managed to get back on his feet and looked around for his hat. It was a bit farther away. Ben picked it up and put on his head. Hat brim protected his sore eyes from sunlight. Then he tried to get his thoughts together but severe headache successfully prevented him from doing this - he felt like he had a strong hangover yet he couldn't remember drinking the other night. He leaned on something that happened to be a low fence and raised his head a bit. He stood in front of something that looked like a pretty average village shack. A range of welcoming scents coming from inside attacked his nostrils as he breathed in the cold air. As he was convinced that he ended up in front of someones door he decided to get inside and ask residents for food and maybe even a drink - if it really was a hangover only a fair mugful of ale could save him from his misery.

Without further thought he marched through the door opening his mouth in order to greet whoever might have been inside only to freeze on threshold with not the wisest expression on his face. The interior felt like completely detached from reality - ordinary shack happened to be an extraordinary... tavern?  

Edited by Kelenon

(OOC: Sorry for the delay there @Kelenon.)

Ben was just standing there, minding his own business with slack-jawed adoration at the Tavern's stunning architecture. Was it really his fault that the spot onto which he found himself rooted just so happened to be the main entrance? The avenue by which the milling patrons of said Tavern made their way into and out of the establishment?

Maybe, maybe not. Regardless of philosophical questions of blame, the fact of the matter is that Ben was blocking the way. It took less than a minute for the man to be reminded that though many things come to those who wait, the ripest fruit is left for those who hustle; a hand came down heavy on Ben's shoulder, guiding him in, and then pushing him out of the way.

That hand belonged to a man whose skin was nearly black. More than the melanin-rich of a people grown in a land of searing suns, this was nearly aphotic, as if it drank in the light around the man and made the ambiance a negligible shade or two darker. He was otherwise humanoid, with familiar features; long red hair woven into braids reached down to his shoulders, and grey eyes with no pupils stared at Ben as the man, carrying a barrel on one shoulder, addressed him.

"You stand like frog. Open mouth, for catching of flies, yes?"

The man laughed but his laughter lacked contempt or derision. He was amused and meant to include Ben in his amusement.

"Come in. Is better all way in."

(OOC: @supernal : no worries, I just misunderstood the NPC request thread. As you can see I'm not responding that fast too)

Still a little confused Ben allowed to be moved aside. He realized how dumb must he have looked like and decided to act casual. He had no idea where he is and what to do anyway so he decided that it would be best to get on the good side of dark skinned individual and gather some information.

"Pardon me, It was a long night of physical entertainment if you catch my meaning." - he lied smoothly and followed coal-skinned guy deeper inside - "Also my first time here. Hell takes me if I expected this place to be that huge. I'm Ben by the way. You?" -

As it started to get warm he felt that back of his coat is wet, probably from lying on bare ground. He kept in memory to find later a place to dry it off.