Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend Season 3

((With his skill set, @supernal, Dayo Tanaka doubles as an info broker. To facilitate that IRL, I'll need information. ?))

A man steps out from a portal from his homeworld to this one, one foot stepping on grass and the other on the wooden floor of the Tavern of Legend. Stepping through the back door, he reveals himself as a dark-skinned muscular man, seemingly human with blindfolded eyes. The full natural-haired blind man appears to stand still, taking stock of his surroundings, one hand in his business pants pockets and the other scratching his full beard. Without turning in their direction, he 'sees' the pair currently conversing with that old and bitter drunk in the corner.

'Poor man.' Dayo thinks to himself as he starts to walk forward, smoothening his waistcoat and formal clothing. A man has to look his best, after all. Zell's seen their fair share of the darkness life offers, and Dayo is no different, being an ex-marine of the Yikashiman army who's seen his fair share of death and loss. Though not to the degree of Zell's experiences, it's enough that Dayo can relate with the man, even though they'd not had much chance at a discussion since he started work three days ago

Pushing that thought out of his mind, the calm and subdued man calls out to Otto and waves in greeting, smiling at the giant of a man while making his way to the bar. One would notice that even though he appears to be blind, he moves as though his eyes function perfectly. In truth, they do, for what he lacks in physical sight he makes up for with his other senses - physical and spiritual - as well as his liquid manipulation powers. Air contains water vapour, a fact which he uses to his advantage, greatly increasing his detection range. Combine that with 30 years of training and you have one who has no need for eyes in most situations.

"Happy New Year, friend. I'll take it from here." He says to the bartender currently on duty, himself picking up a napkin and starting to wipe the bar countertop. "Zell has takers?" He asks, gesturing towards the duo sitting at the old drunk's table.

@Kelenon @Syxanthie

Edited by Bohemian Eagle

Halfway towards Zell Bleidd fell back, turning to the still loitering Otto she clearly indicated that he was to bring another drink to Zell's table. The hand gestures were simple and universal, followed by her placing her index finger to her lips to ask he do this quietly...What quietly meant to Otto however remained to be seen. She returned her attention to the table just as Ben was suggesting Zell's solutions might not be found at the bottom of his glass. She felt the older man prickle and shot Kraft a cautiounary glance. She had been about to add a softer touch to the conversation when, she froze mid-step, muscles snapping taught, every hair on the back of her neck stood on end. Her instinct to flex her forearm and allow a blade to drop into her hand, held in check with conscious effort. The shift in atmosphere seemed to have passed by everyone else, exhaling with a slow measured breath, she resisted the urge to turn around instead, focusing her other senses behind her listening for the sound of boots on the ground, the sound of weapons being unsheathed or armour creaking, but it never came. Instead the casual footsteps of someone apparently familiar with the surroundings, male, physically tuned and....there is something else she can't quite place. Either way he is no threat in this place so she allows herself to relax, and focus on the current situation.

She takes a seat across from Zell and waits until he is looking at  her, he is drunk and tired, she has to focus hard to remain seen, all the while his alcohol dulled senses his are encouraging him to forget her everytime his eyes are drawn elsewhere. She hopes once she has a pint of ale in her hands he might be able to focus long enough to explain what it is he needs their help for.

" We hear your having some problems, we think we might be able to help, but we can't do that if you won't tell us what it is."

"Say you'll take the job first..then the details" the mans eyes narrow. 

Not 'so' drunk then. retorts the Koi'arii.   apparently not Bleidd utters under her breath in slight amusement.

She turns to Ben and shrugs " Its neither here nor there to me, I have no place else to go and little better to be doing, this seems as good a place to start as any."

Turning back to Zell she nods. " very well, I'm in, now...the details.

@Kelenon @Bohemian Eagle

Edited by Syxanthie
Copy paste spacing issues./tags

Dante stares at the Tavern and examines it closely. 'I traveled to a bar and got this? What is this?' He sighs and shakes his head as he walks through the doors and stops to stare. 'I think I was misled.' He slowly finds a table to sit at by himself and waits for one of the waitstaff to come see him. A few minutes goes by and he's already resting his head on the table feeling the effects of the lack of alcohol in his body already. 'Hold out Dante. The alcohol's coming. It'll be here soon. Pay with the little money you got and maybe you can find some job to do. Just maybe someone has need for an athletic man who can beat people to a bloody pulp.' He then looks back at the bouncer and sighs. 'Maybe not.'

A waiter comes by. With a knowing smilie they put down the cheapest booze they have.  So that maybe Dante can make it through the rest of his day. 

“ You know coffe works better than Alcohol right? Just saying dear. Now what can I get you, and what can you afford?” 

There was always a need of Brutes in Val. Maybe not ere but everywhere. The more violent factions would probably love someon they could control with a simple drink. 

In the mean time a heavily clothed fellow with a protective mask and helmet walked up to him. And absolute beast of a body. But the real father was the heavy tank on his back. It was bigger than he was and something, sloshed inside. If one spotted the tube no doubt you could figure out what this safety hazard was. With a cherry

” Hello!” To open up the man followed up. 

“ How are you today?”

10 hours ago, ODSTDRAGON said:

A waiter comes by. With a knowing smilie they put down the cheapest booze they have.  So that maybe Dante can make it through the rest of his day. 

“ You know coffe works better than Alcohol right? Just saying dear. Now what can I get you, and what can you afford?” 

There was always a need of Brutes in Val. Maybe not ere but everywhere. The more violent factions would probably love someon they could control with a simple drink. 

In the mean time a heavily clothed fellow with a protective mask and helmet walked up to him. And absolute beast of a body. But the real father was the heavy tank on his back. It was bigger than he was and something, sloshed inside. If one spotted the tube no doubt you could figure out what this safety hazard was. With a cherry

” Hello!” To open up the man followed up. 

“ How are you today?”

Dante sees the alcohol and pays the exact price as he knows what it is. He nods to the waiter and shrugs. "Without alcohol I might as well be drunk." He opens the bottle and starts drinking the booze happily. After he gets about halfway he looks at the masked man and stared. "I'm good. I got my booze in hand and now all I need is to find a job involving strength. Don't even care if it involves pushing a car or something simple like that. Just need a job."

Pavle smilies under his heavy equipment “ Well that works out perfectly!  I need someone who is free to carry soemthing heavy! I can but I don’t really want to give up my weapon and it’s needed for the  job anyway. So I’ll give you some of my pay,alright? Does this sound fair?” He reaches over offering his gloved hand. 

She had been traveling now for several days. Every day that she moved forward she doubted her steps even more. At the last way station they assured her that this was the way, this was the proper path. However, wasteland had turned to ruins which had turned into a dark and twisted forest. The gnarled boughs above her and to her sides were unsettling. They dripped with grayness, and were set into a fitting of dark that molded around their arches and threatened to come across her path and suffocate her. The footway in front of her wasn’t wider than a deer path, and occasionally she lost it in the grassier parts. The only thing that comforted her was that there was a lot of earth here. Where there was earth, there were plants, and plants she could trust.

Currently, she moved at a consistent pace. It was a five day hike they said. No more than five days. However, night had already fallen on the sixth day and the Tavern of Legend was still nowhere in sight. Perhaps this was the joke. Perhaps it was just that - a legend, and she had been sent on her way after a wild goose. Perhaps this was just their way of having fun with her, casting her out and having a laugh of it in the process at her expense. She furrowed her brows. How could she have been so stupid. And now she was deep in the forest, it was already dark, and none of these trees looked like a safe place to make camp. 

A lump was growing in her throat as she was feeling sorry for herself when suddenly she stopped short. She barely understood why herself when, in the silence of her stillness, she heard it again. There were voices in the distance. Was that even laughter? She pressed on with renewed determination to reach her destination. It must be close now. She was almost breaking into a jog when the path she was on took an abrupt turn and opened up into what she might have even been considered a modest clearing. She grinned. She had made it! She ran across the opening in the trees, pausing just for a moment to study the great (from her perspective of the momentous nature of the moment) door of the Tavern of Legend. The dark, weather mottled door, and its unassuming metal hinges and handle are possibly the most beautiful thing she had ever seen. She reached upward to grab at the door handle that is just about over her head, and without hesitation, pushes her way in.

Once inside, however, her smile fades and she reconnects with how small she is. She is only a little over three and a half feet tall, and everything in here seems particularly big. The vaulted ceilings rise high above her, and she is staring at the criss-crossing of the rafters. They are like a glorious spiderweb. The warm glow of lamplight fills the room, and seems to amplify the din of laughter and boisterous dining. Aletheia is enthralled. Everyone here seems so happy, full of life, and even those who do not seem happy appear at  least larger than life. She is enraptured until she gets checked in the back. Someone had walked into the Tavern and, shockingly, had not seen her. She moved forward now, much more cautiously, and hugging the wall. A man standing just a few feet from the entrance had seen her though. He fiercely eyed the leather satchel she had at her side, the strap going across her chest to her opposite shoulder. He grunted, and tapped a sign on the wall proclaiming the No Weapons sentiment. 

Now, Allie is probably the last person in this tavern who you honestly need to worry about having a weapon. Even if she did have a weapon, what was the actual threat? Would she annoy you to death with paper cuts? Nevertheless, she scampered over to the man, digging through her satchel to bring out a small knife. It filled her hand and might even have been too big for her, but would have been small to anyone else. She reached up and placed it on the counter. The man nodded, and stowed her possession away and in its place gave her a small circular disc. It was a coin, but not a coin. She examined it carefully, flipping it back and forth, studying either side. “Thank you,” she told him - but he paid her no mind. 

She sighed, and moved on slowly, staying close to the wall. As she passed, she studied the people present. There were styles and species here she had never seen before. There was a small part of her that thought she might be going mad. Before leaving her small village she thought of other races almost as myths and legends. Sure, she knew they were not. However, she had never seen them and they were so far removed from her small farming village. Plus, being the only mixed breed there, she was used to towering over everyone else. But now she was the one who was small - so, so small. 

She may be tiny, but she did not have the proportions of a child. She was an adult by any standard, having lived for 22 years. She looked like a miniature human woman - except that her skin was strangely pale, and her nose a little too dainty and with slight upturned tip. Plus, there was something haunting about her eyes. They were just a little large, and her irises were disproportionately large - and charcoal gray. The same dark silver as the overall hue of her hair. Her hair had many different shades in it. There were dark, charcoal strands, plus creamy white ones, and some a chestnut brown.  Her features did not make her look otherworldly however, just youthful and maybe a little mystical. 

The whole way she crept, all the way to the back of the tavern. She avoided eye contact, and quickened her pace anytime she thought someone may have caught on to her presence. She clutched tightly to her leather bag. She knew one thing for certain - she was out of place here.

There was a barstool towards the end of the bar, and she decided this would be a good place for her because she felt like it offered more isolation, and therefore more protection than sitting at a table. She stared at the stool momentarily before clamoring up on top of it. After all, they were about the same height. Once on top, her feet swung freely off the stool, and she could barely get her elbows onto the bar top, but she made it. She glanced warily down the bar, she hoped the bartender would not neglect her order due to her stature.

(Edited 'cause my word processor does weird autocorrect things)

Edited by MacBeth

17 hours ago, ODSTDRAGON said:

Pavle smilies under his heavy equipment “ Well that works out perfectly!  I need someone who is free to carry soemthing heavy! I can but I don’t really want to give up my weapon and it’s needed for the  job anyway. So I’ll give you some of my pay,alright? Does this sound fair?” He reaches over offering his gloved hand. 

Dante looks at his beer and then the man's gloved hand. He quickly grabs his booze and downs it as quickly as he can. After he finishes his booze he wipes his mouth on his flannel sleeve and grabs the hand, shaking it. "Alright. Where we going and what am I lifting?" He then stops a second before realizing something. "What's the weapon for now?"

Ben was more skeptic. In his opinion certain places to start could point you to swift end. Being a hothead and taking random job just because none alternative was available at the time, especially from a guy that apparently tried to trick them into taking it before telling the details seemed like a rather poor idea. 

With this attitude of yours its no wonder that no one has solved your problem yet. What's stopping us from quitting the job after you tell us what is it about?

That I'm not telling you a shit unless I hear a magical sentence "I'm in". - Zell replied.

Silence has fallen over the table during which Ben wondered how to talk down Zell and Zell stared longingly at his empty glass. One would say it lasted infinity long unless Otto came and released the tension by bringing them bottle of bourbon in one hand and two glasses in other. Ben reached for a bottle, and filled everyone glasses. He noticed that more and more people entered a tavern and he suddenly realized that it got dark outside.

All right - Kraft started and took a sip from his glass. - We already knew your problem had something to do with bandits robing merchants on trail so we're not going to drop this job just because we are afraid of getting our hands a little dirty by eliminating them. But if you tell me, after I agree to take part in this, that there is... I don't know... a hundred of them? Then whatever promise you'll gonna force on me you can't expect me to keep the promise, right?

Zell who was busy with his glass during this speech sighted - And why would I do that? Hells takes me, if I knew you are going to complain that much I wouldn't bother talking to you. No, it's nothing the two of you can't handle so stop bitching and tell me if you take this job or not.

Ben remained silent for a short while and nodded affirmatively.

Great. Come now, I'll tell you what needs to be done, but not here. You can never be sure who's listening... Aaand take the bottle! - Zell got up and headed tavern doors. Ben unwillingly followed him with glass in his hand. 

(OOC: I think we can continue this in another thread from now on)

@Syxanthie 

Pavel  nodded and give a vigorous firm shake.  The gloves were thick, and smooth. Very clearly meant to protect from very intense heat.  He took a moment to look over the ither’s Shoulder. Was that a tiny woman he just saw?  

“ Oh you’ll be helping me with a few coffins, bodies Sarcohphogus, and some tombstones!” It was like he was beeming with happiness luckily ther was no trace of Malice or malicious intent. 

“ So we are going to be getting into a tomb. I’ll get you a gas mask. But we’re doing spring cleaning. Making sure the contimination is gone.” 

He pats the heavy tank on his back. 

“ This is for the job it is also because I can not be seperated from my weapon. It can be physically taken form me. But from the day we are born we are handed out weapons, without fuel mind you,  it’s how we’re raised.  Anyway come on I think I’ve spotted someone else who should join us.” 

The large Pavle got up  and walked towards Allie. Or where he thought she was. In a tavern full of people it was quite hard to keep up with and find such a small one.   Eventually he and Dante if he came with him found her at the bar.

” Hello there miss! Can I intrst you in helping out on an adventure?”

Dante heard what he'd be helping with and shrugged. There was no sense in him questioning if this was also grave robbing but considering the man didn't have a backpack or anything to carry stuff with that was probably out of the question. Finally deciding to take in his surroundings and get a feel for the place which caused him to find a no weapons sign. He nervously chuckled and walked over to the area where he turned weapons in and pulled out his combat knife, sheathe too, before putting it on the counter. Someone took his knife and gave him a... coin thing. Dante examined the little coin looking object and shrugged. 'Probably like a locker key or something.' He pocketed the coin into his flannel pocket before walking to his employer who's now at the bar counter talking to some child, or at least what Dante thought was a child because upon closer inspection it was just a very small woman. Out of courtesy for the woman he buttoned up his flannel halfway seeing as how he only wears the flannel. He didn't want to appear disrespectful if his employer wished to hire the woman.

The bartender at first looked at her only through the corner of his eye. He was polishing some glassware, and the look on his face at such a small lady at his bar grew more incredulous, and perhaps even a little curious. She made uneasy eye contact with him, and he put the glass down. Allie’s face suddenly began to feel hot, and she knew that she was flushing. As the man moved in her direction, she put her face down and looked at her lap.

“Can I help you, miss?” he said. Gruff, but aware of who he was speaking to.

She hesitated, rummaging through her leather satchel. “Yes, can I have some ale? The smallest one you’ve got. And some stew if you have it.” She dumped a handful of coins on the bar counter. A couple of them were pretty large. “Will this be enough?” She looked up at him inquisitively.

He grabbed three or four of the medium sized coins before telling her, “you should put the rest of those out of sight.” He turned away from her, and she hurriedly swept the rest of the coins in her bag. Truthfully, she didn’t know how much she just paid. He could have swindled her or given her a bargain, and she would have been none the wiser. Her home village did not deal much in currency. They were all farmers, and tradesman, and so they dealt in barter and traded favors. The coin she carried now were among her mother’s possessions when she passed. When she left the village, or rather was cast out, she knew these coins would be valuable so she packed them and a few other items she thought would be important in her leather bag. She did not know much about the outside world, but she knew it required money and oftentimes violence.

The latter part concerned her. She shifted her attention away from the bar and watched the crowd. There were a lot of low conversations in corners, at tables. She suspected many of these conversations were plans hatching, and negotiations. How many, she wondered, of these conversations involve plans of violence? She grimaced slightly at the thought. She closed her eyes for a moment, and rubbed her face with her small hands. She was not cut out for this. She has come too far. She should just go back. But she could not — she knew that. The bridge to her old life had been burned, it had been burned for her. Now, the only option she had was to move forward.

The bartender returned now with a brandy snifter, two-thirds full with an amber liquid topped with modest foam, and a large mug full of stew. The barkeep must have been a very good one. Instead of giving the dainty creature a large soup spoon, he laid down a sugar spoon next to her meal. She nodded her appreciation, and lifted her glass with two hands, tenderly - like one might hold a warm cup of tea. Taking a couple sips, she pursed her lips. It was not bad - but it was not the fresh flowing stream water of her home country. Once, however, she heard a tale from one of the Sprite-men in her village. He had been traveling, and told the children of the village stories of how to never drink sitting water from which you did not know the source, and when in doubt, drink ale.

“Hello there, Miss!” Came a voice from behind her. It might as well have been a gunshot. She jumped, nearly spilling her drink as she went in for a third swig. Blinking back confusion, she put down her glass, and looked at two companions who had come over to this corner of the bar. “Can I int’rest you in helping out on an adventure?” Her eyes widened. One, they were addressing her. She fought the urge to panic. Secondly, they were such strange creatures. One had a box on his back that Allie swore she could probably live in. She hoped it was not his intention to make her live in that box. And the other had clothing that was woven in such strange patterns. 

Her breathing began to slow as she studied their faces. Her eyes narrowed and she glanced from one to the other and back again. One was fiddling with buttons on his shirt. There was something so strange about the pattern of his shirt. The other seemed to be waiting for a response from her. Perhaps, she began to entertain the idea, these men were not out to mean her harm.

“An adventure?” She questioned, “What kind of adventure? And what do you want me to do with it?” Her small voice may have had a tinge of the defensive by the time she was done. She grabbed her bag, feeling at the contents through the leather, only to remember she already checked her knife at the door. She did not actually think she could defend herself against these two men, but having her knife gave her a small feeling of security. The man’s posture did not speak of ill-will, so her shoulders relaxed a little. “I mean,” she said, more quietly now. “I don’t know that I would be of much use.” She bowed her head a little, slightly ashamed of her panic and apparent uselessness. But she still indirectly watched these two - who were they? And why would she be of interest to them?

To anyone Normal Pavle very much appeared to be a monster, the tank on his pack screamed danger to any with a acute sense of smell. People treated him like the reaper or death itself showing up at the door. Instant terror. 

Born and bred for one thing, to play with the fire, their Baptisms were brutal and born of the human saying, “Baptism by fire.” The tank sloshed when he bent over or tried to turn around. It’s walls were thick, concrete and titinum were used to reinforce  the tank. It would be pretty hard to penetrate and further more could be used as a blunt weapon should one be able to wield it. 

His clothes were thick and protective of the elements. Thick gloves, that were smooth and made his hands appear large, if he intention to grab her, she’d have no better luck against a gaint. The tank ran connected to a curious device, a gun like thing probably something she wouldn’t be use to.

However the most terrifying part  was his face. The top of his head was hidden by a helmet and he wear a mask. Finally there were googles that all but made his eyes nonexistent if you couldn’t see through them. Then a heavy respirator that covered his mouth and mask.  The fumes would not reach his lungs.

”Well you look like you need something to do. And you seem so jittery! Relax we won’t hurt you, or I won’t I’ve just meet my other friend here!” He motions to the Flanne dressed Dante. “ Anyway were going to a tomb to do some work. We may need help getting in and you look like you need some friends. I see this helping us all. I’m getting paid, not like I’d have much use for it. But more importantly a place to stay the night and things to drink and eat. All you have to do is be able to carry your own weight. And no I won’t force you to help carry the bodies.”  

He spoke of it so casually. As if she were a friend, but more over he mentioned bodies like he was use to this business. It didn’t help he was huge in height even campared to a normal human being. 

Dante watched the two talk and decided to take himself to the bar. He had money for one more bottle of the cheap stuff. While intently listening to the two he waves over the bartender with money in hand. "Whatever's cheap and alcoholic." Slowly he puts the money on the counter, grabbing the bottle once it gets placed in front of him. He pops off the top and turns to the woman. "Big man is just needing a few people to do some cleaning of a tomb. I'm just here to be the muscle. I pick things up and move them elsewhere. And to think of it one way, you're small and will probably useful for going places we can't. Him and I are probably gonna be the heavy lifters while you do what you can. So all in all, you'd probably get paid, if you want to, for doing very little." 

Dante slowly drinks his booze and looks at Pavle. "Where is this tomb and how are we getting there?"

Her breathing was still a little heavy while she waited for them to give a satisfactory explanation for what they saw in her. She hoped that it was not anything nefarious. Certainly there were others that would have been much more up for that purpose. She glanced around the tavern once more and confirmed that yes, there were many others much more qualified for these tasks than she would have been.

“Well you look like you need something to do.” The first one said, before continuing. As he spoke, she looked up to study him. His height made it so she did not really get a good look at him until now. She was getting bolder, and sitting up a little straighter, not averting her eyes as much. His attire, the utilitarian nature of - was it armor, Allie wondered. The tank he carried, the mask and goggles on his face; they were so outlandish and so far from what the young woman was used to that it was almost easier to accept than anything else she had encountered on her journey. Come to think of it, Allie thought, it was starting to feel like she was was in a dream. She rubbed her forehead again, maybe she was starting to feel a little light headed. She really needed to eat her stew. 

He looked menacing. A stark juxtaposition against the half-sprite’s small frame. Somehow though, his friendly tone made it so the tension began to fall away from her shoulders. But she had to keep her wits about her, Allie thought. She couldn’t let her guard down. She listened patiently, he seemed to be offering her a job. She began to think this might be fortuitous. Until, wait —

“Did you say bodies!?” she squeaked.

Just then the one wearing the flannel spoke up. Allie’s eyes were wide as she listened, and she didn’t say anything at first.

She supposed cleaning out a tomb couldn’t be that bad - could it? She was sure she’d regret thinking that. But, at least the bodies were already dead. What were they cleaning it out of, she wondered. She wasn’t ready to ask that out loud, however.

She nodded slowly to herself, and turned to take a couple spoons of her stew. This could be the opportunity she needed. She didn’t have a family anymore, she didn’t have a village. She needed to make a life for herself now, and learn how to survive in the wilds of Valucre. She took another couple spoons of her stew, but still looked between the two men with a thoughtful expression on her face.

“Yes,” she said with perhaps some curiosity in her tone. “Where would we be going?” She then realized what she said, and lowering her eyes continued, “If I do go with you.” The truth was the man with the tank was spot on. She was very frightened in this new world she found herself in, and she really could use friends in this world. Gainful employment and some income would also be very, very useful. The coin in her bag would not last forever, no matter how much their actual value was. Plus, she wagered, this task in front of her might teach her marketable, practical skills. She would also be lying if, deep down, there wasn’t part of her that maybe wanted a little bit of an adventure.

“And,” she spoke up, with curiosity in her voice. “What are your names?”