Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend Season 3

Rushing inside the warm Tavern;  Blackheart quickly found an empty table and sat down. He wasn't used to mingling with commoners. Grand balls and feasts were his things. He was a proper Lord after all. A Lord who knew what he wanted. Most of the time it was to make a deal with a duke or help an estranged noble for a favor. This time, however, it was for survival. "I wish Chester were here." Blackheart thought to himself

Ah Chester, how he was a good servant. A sharp young man, but a bit of a pushover. It didn't come as a surprise though; he was a hired servant with a troubled past. Something about his only sister who had died in a fire. She was his only living relative. It was a shame really, considering where Chester lived was  Blackheart property. Everything went down in value. But now wasn't the time to think about it. Blackheart was alone and without help.

Blackheart suddenly remembered he was hungry. Fumbling around his pockets he pulled out some paper money. He quickly realized he couldn't use it; for everything was being paid with gold. Desperate, Blackheart looked around the tavern and saw a peculiar sight. A small winged creature amongst the rafters. "Excuse me my petite friend, but could you help me? I left my gold pouch at my home and am in need of a meal."  

@Bella_Donna

Edited by Mr. Who

The tavern manager served the small pink brain on a small silver platter. He smiled half hospitable, half disgusted by the dish and served it in front of her with one of those large, thin, fancy forks rich people used to filet meat. She didn't return the smile; she glowered at him under her tangle of black slime-slicked hair, until he retreated hurriedly. She took the fork and dropped it pathetically. It was like trying to hold a stick with a second pair of sticks. She looked at Carol, too invested in the parasite to see. Iani, pretended not to look. Which was fine by her, the ordeal was upsetting enough without someone gawking at you while you ate.

She picked it up secretively and bit down. It was liquidy, some of the matter actually dripped down her chin. She didn't bother wiping the juice. She tipped her head and slurped the remains from her fingers until it was gone.  

She explained unapologetically, but not unkindly, in a hoarse and airy voice, "First time I tried them."

"Thanks," she said motioning simply at the panther. 

Her voice still hurt, but it had only been proper to thank Iani out loud. She didn't have that same respect for Carol, who was studying the critter with a gloved hand. She went over to her as dignified as a shambling corpse could afford and stared her directly in the eye, trying to say all she wanted with a simple hard look, Who are you?

As Bella flew down from the rafter,  the man realized that the creature was larger than he initially thought, only slightly smaller than the average human. She landed near the man, close enough for a conversation but far enough to avoid accidental contact. The last thing she want is to accidentally harm someone with her poison. 

After hearing the man's request, a worried look appeared on her face, for she did not have any gold on her either. "I'm afraid I can't help" she replied. "I don't have any gold either, although I can go and ask the others for help". 

"Oh, how foolish I must look! Forgive me for calling you petite; my eyesight becomes blurry when I have not eaten." Blackheart said jumping to his feet.

Quickly Blackheart grabbed his hat and bowed slightly. "Where are my manners? I have asked you for help without even introducing myself. I am Lord Blackheart. My titles are of little importance at the moment but rest assured you are in good company. Now, who are you? I will take any help you can give." Blackheart continued before sitting back down.

At this point, Blackheart would take any help he could. How he wished he could have eaten before finding himself in this realm. After all, he skipped lunch so he could eat as much as he wanted for dinner.

@Bella_Donna

The fairy bowed back.  "I'm Belladonna, but you can call me Bella", she said.  "I came here from a forest far away for an adventure".  She smiled, glad to have another friend.

"Now as for the help..." She looked around the tavern. "....I'll be back in a sec" she continued, going towards the other people in the tavern and asking for their help.

Tsidia decided to come out of her usual place when the aftershock of death and destruction reached far enough to affect her. The second she showed up in the open, all her muscles tensed up with a terrifying glare. “What… happened?”, she wondered.

Feeling like a hatchling, the dragoness lowered her tail and stepped forward. The deeper she went, the more it was getting to her – some kind of disaster smacked against her area. If she happened to find the one responsible for this, she wouldn’t be any caring or kind.

Tsidia walked with her snout pressed to the ground. She instinctively avoided the smoke. Wouldn't want to stain the pinks and purples dancing along her scales. After following the densest scent trail in the area, she found herself at the door. On closer inspection, it looked like a tavern. A bar in the middle of nowhere. ‘Priorities’, she said to herself and giggled.

Without hesitation, the ness pushed her claws on the door, did her best to not cut through it as they swung open. After taking a quick look-around, the ness settled her enormous tail on a free table and the rest of her form next to it.

After all, it was good to see a spark of hope in a place like this. After staring at the playing bands, she got infected with their artistic expression. Being in the clear, she drew her snout over the bar. She scanned for anything worth her attention.

Edited by Tsidia, the mind player

Bella was going around asking for help for the man when suddenly she heard the door swing open, loudly, as if pushed by a huge amount of force. She turned and saw a massive creature making her way into the tavern and towards the bar. She knew that the Dragoness wasn't an enemy, for the others in the tavern would've reacted aready. Still, she had some fear as she recalled the attack of the Dragonkin Cultist's army. Thankfully, her dragon claw necklace was hidden in her dress. She managed a smile and tried to overcome her fear.

Carol glanced up from the parasite to see the woman staring at her. She connected her eyes with her, and for a second or so the staring went on. Carol glance towards the door and headed towards it. With the useless parasite in one hand, she opened the door with the other. She tossed the black critter out, hopefully not disrupting the ecosystem. When she looked at it, it seemed rather harmless. All Carol got was a single vial of slim that the thing excreted, nothing she ever seen before. Carol walked back to the bar, and sat down next to the woman. 

"All taken care of," Carol said, but dribbled the words near the end of her sentence. She knew the glance that the dead woman gave her, but didn't know what to do. She decided to stare at her drink instead, the light from the ceiling shining through it. Carol closed her eyes to the sound of the march that was playing in the background, imagining the war again. She was stuck in her past again, remembering the events like they were yesterday.

Carol sat frozen, and all she could think of was the war of her original homeland.

@Dizzy00

@Raspberry LA

Edited by Pickled

There was no pomp and circumstance with Natheniel's arrival. Just a casual easement of the door hinges as he slid his way inside the tavern, the blacks and blues of his thin light weight plate armor glinting in the tavern torch light. Peeking out from behind a mask and under a hood were strands of long black hair and a pair of dark purple eyes. The eyes moved across those who currently occupied the space as his feet carried him toward the bar.

Pulling the mask down and hood back as he found a stool, Natheniel carried an easy smile underneath all that long black hair. He was clean shaven and looked younger than he truly was, but what did that really matter? "I'll have whatever's popular." He said as he sat down, shifting the sword at his hip in order that he be comfortable. The barkeep had obliged him quickly, much to Natheniel's delight. "Thank you." He then offers, paying the man.

Sipping from the mug of what tasted like a sweet mead, Nat spun in his stool and leaned back against the bar, elbows supporting him. He noted the dragoness with some evident curiosity, as well as several other interesting characters moving about. He seemed like an approachable sort of fellow, but minded his own business out of respect.

The new fellow that arrived seemed a little lost, seemingly not knowing what to do. Carol got up from her seat and approached the new comer. She sat next to him and began a conversation. 

"How are you liking that lard and dragon blood?"

@Ellipsis

Edited by Pickled

Nat's gaze flicked up at the approach of Carol, then down at the mug he held. "Is that what this is..." He says, trailing off and smiling lightly. "It tastes good. Does the dragon blood imbue any special powers?" He asks, though his tone suggests he is suspicious of the truth in Carol's words and finds it humorous. "I'm well enough." He shares with his new found co-bar-conspirator. "And yourself? Miss...?"

@Pickled

Edited by Ellipsis

"Miss Gershwick, Carol Gershwick. I am not too fond of titles however." Carol tapped the table and asked for some black rose tea, her favorite drink there. It reminded her of the sorrow of the world, but also the small hint of hope that it contains. She looks back at the man after taking a sip. "I'm am quite fine, really. Your name, if I may ask?"

@Ellipsis

"Natheniel. Or Nat. Not like the tiny insect. Just... Nat." He shrugged at his own words, as if he wasn't sure if he was getting his point across. No matter! "Good to hear, miss Gershwick. Glad that you are doing fine." He then eyed her tea with a subtle questioning look, but didn't inquire about it. "Been here long?" He then asks, as is required by unspoken bar etiquette. You should never be so rude to discontinue a conversation when there is none other to be had.

@Pickled

"Well I come and go, but I have been here for awhile. There was a battle about a week or so ago, fought in that." Carol paused, thinking of what else to say. The battle let her feel better, but she needed to be in constant battle. She looked through her bag and found a single leaf. Carol laid the leaf on the bar, showing Nat. "I was the medic. I healed the wounded. At least 10 people were lost." She glared at the new tavern worker, one that was the same species of the ones that fought. Carol had nothing against him, but looking at him reminded her of the experience. 

@Ellipsis

Edited by Pickled

"Battle? I am... glad that you survived it." Natheniel said with a genuineness to his words. Fighting, killing, it was all rather tiresome and led to nothing but more trouble in his mind. Protecting and healing on the other hand... "So you have some magical talent?" He asked Carol, gazing down at the leaf and wondering at the significance of it. It's not everyday someone just sets a leaf down on the table next to you. Was he expected to take it? Was she going to crush it up and put it in her tea? He surmised that it likely had to do with what she spoke of. It was perhaps a trinket in the arts of healing. Regardless of it's intended use, he did not touch it. He did turn to face her, however, taking another sip of his 'lard and dragon's blood'. By the celestials, he hoped she was joking about that. It tasted too good, and he didn't want to be known as the fellow who enjoyed lard and dragons blood.

@Pickled

Edited by Ellipsis