Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend Season 3

The young elf sat heavily at the free table he noticed, and left his bag at his feets. This table was in the shadows of a corner, that is the reason why the elf chose it. He kept his black matte hood on, not willing to be noticed by the numerous group walking out of the tavern. After some time, a young barmaid who looked rather exhausted noticed him. He tried to make a presentable face and, raising his head, said, "Some whiskey and a complete meal, if you please." Taking the whiskey tumbler to his mouth, he listened a while to the ambient noise.As the waitress came with the meal, he asked her a bit about the tavern and the staff, but she was too drained of energy to participate to the conversation so the talk ended fast. Elwin glanced a few times at the crowd, looking for someone interesting or rather unwilling to bring attention upon him.

"

“It’s far easier asking a few locals closer to the bar if you really would like to know about the tavern.  Staff is normally busy around this time or so I’ve noticed. Course it stands to say I’ve not been here long myself, but long enough to notice the trend of this place” spoke a gentlemen off to Elwin left.

“Don’t mean to startle you at all. Just hard to miss someone who chooses to sit in the dark corner” He said with a chuckle before placing a half bottle of whiskey upon the table.

“Been a good looking crowd today so far, most in and out before they got comfortable it would appear. Few unique ones, think I seen one with a tail or a long belt. Could not really tell sitting where I am or to more honest, where we both find ourselves sitting now. I do have to say this position does help keep one out of the public eye if they like to relax in more..” a dagger suddenly lands in the table infront on the man. “..more interesting ways.” He looks up at where the dagger came from.

“Damn, I guess I own someone some coin. I thought that would have stayed there till I had to leave. Names Strycnine by the way, please have some of the bottle. Been waiting for someone to sit down at that table, had a feeling it would be interesting” added  Strycnine before leaning back in his chair as he brushed some hair from his face.

(Hope you don't mind @Asciax

Edited by Strycnine

Elwin threw a first rapid glance from under hiss hood at the man sitting not too far from him. It seems rather interesting indeed. He couldn't quite discern the man exactly and was hesitating to start the chat, but after all they are in the shadows. After emptying his glass in one shot, he looked into Strycnine's eyes.

"It's not the highest quality of whiskey around here but hey, it's neither bug juice. If you're willing to offer I am most happy to receive. You should consider taking a meal to go with your lucky bottle." Elwin remembered the not so distant days when he would only enjoy the finest liquors made by the fae in Karmathen. I am glad I still have something to drink when I'm drained. 

"Hey companion, what is the matter with this dagger if I might ask." Elwin knew it was not a miserable dagger you get for one silver coin at the corner of the street. The dagger had some sort of magical stones encrusted. Even though usually he would immediately recognize all matter relied to magic, he was getting drunk and the darkness was not helping him. 

@Strycnine

Edited by Asciax
I forgot to mention someone

“Oh nothing to special about it really, just something I got after a hunt. It’s a gift for bringing a nice size buck for a feast. I was simply enjoying getting it stuck up there.” Strycnine points to a noticeable mark in the cross beam above his head.

Gave them a gold piece to allow the mark, better safe them sorry and from what I’ve seen you don’t want to be on their bad side. They have this big guy that shows up when things get out of hand, tho him the smallest issue around here. In my travels, asking before something happens is a wise course of action. Those that notice tend to place bets on when it will fall, I was hoping it would have fallen at a more interesting moment but now is a good moment as ever. Now I don’t have to keep sitting here quietly.

He grabbed the bottle again and took a large swig.

“Oh the whiskey, true it’s not one of the best but I don’t want to draw someone’s attention with a good bottle. Might make people think I’m an easy target or have a good amount of coin to part with. “

In one swift non-aggressive movement, Strycnine grabbed the dagger and placed it before Elwin.

“Take a look but just watch out, one of magical thing I’ve noticed about it is that it never loses its edge so it’s always sharp. Makes gathering supplies off of a kill so much easier and the meat is perfect, well that and if I forget it some place or drop it. It always appears back in the sheath after I notice it’s gone, like is can hear me calling it. Not my choice of tools to have that feature, much rather have a few arrows do that. Would make hunting far more enjoyable, don’t have to spend a good amount of time looking for arrows. “

He looks around again before turning more to face Elwin “So, what brings you to this tavern? I only ask because sitting around is only fun for a length of time before the urge to do something presents its self.”

@Asciax

" It's quite a long story. I came here from Elendaron. There, I learned magic in my natal town, Karmathen. I was taught by an old fae. Even though I learned the basics and some deeper druidic magic, I seek more knowledge. This tavern seems like a good place to start looking for a mage. A bit of practice would also be good. In fact, it would be correct if I said I look for adventures." Elwin said part of his motivations, just enough to make an interesting story. He was pretty drunk and feared unwanted words to slip from his mouth. To rectify the situation, he discretely grabbed a potion from his bag and put a drop in his whiskey. This potion will soon act and make him completely aware of the environment. It was a powerful potion so a drop was enough.

"How about you, by what means did you come here?"

@Strycnine

Strycnine leaned back in his chair and looked perplexed a little.

“Well to be honest, I have no good reason to be at this tavern. Simply just found myself walking up to the door one day, never worked by a plan. Don’t really have a home per say either, just a traveler looking to see the mysteries of the world and maybe part of a discovery one day. I take the day moment by moment, hence how the conversation had started.”

@Asciax

Edited by Strycnine

Walking past the door, Theo heaved a sigh of relief as he entered the tavern safely. He had been walking a for a long while and soon his eyes had met this quaint little town from afar. It was good resting point for him at the moment so he had thought of taking a break. After leaving his home, he never realized how much he would miss it. He could still remember the times of his childhood. Sitting by the warm fire while his mother tell him of stories. Helping his father out whenever he makes weapons at the smithy. But alas, life seemed to have an unfavorable impression on the young Theo as tragedy happened and all that was left was him.

Shaking off those negative thoughts of his, Theo stopped reminiscing on his tragic past and forced himself to look forwards.

Cozy. That was the first impression Theo got from this tavern as he walked towards the counter. Merry men drinking and the local minstrel playing his own tune which made the atmosphere in this tavern all the more lively.

Sitting at the counter, Theo beckoned for the bartender to order some food. Taking out a sack of gold from his back pouch, Theo realized that he was starting to run low on his money. He had paid quite the expense to travel here, and now that he was about to order his lunch, he felt the weight on his gold pouch getting lighter and lighter. He needed to find a source of income fast.

After waiting for a while, his order was soon delivered to him and Theo indulged himself on the warm food.

"Oi fellas. Pardon me for intrudin'."

A young man with sandy brown hair had been bussing the tables just behind the one occupied by Elwin and Strycnine. He was mostly done clearing the dishes and stale mugs of all from the table but stopped when he caught wind of their concerns.

"Couldn't help but overhear a touch of what you was yawin' about. If you'd like I can ask the bartender to put some good whiskey for you in a cheap bottle. That way you don't rot your gut, and no one's the wiser."

The busboy dressed this up as a kindness, and in some small way it was, but for the most part he was acting in his duty as an employee of the tavern to try and get customers to part with a little more of their cash.

@Asciax @Strycnine

~~~~~~~~~~

"Cheapest thing we got on the menu is a bowl of vegetable stew. Comes with a decent enough mug of ale. Two copper."

A brand new patron of the Tavern, Theo couldn't have known that the bartender he was dealing with now was a stand-in while the usual one was on vacation. And what luck – Vaddock would have squeezed the poor lad for every tin and copper he had.

"I saw your face fall a bit when you started weighing your purse, is why I mention it. Hey, if you like, you can even work your meal off washing dishes for the night."

@Kilnareth

mJU9eVk.jpg
Terrenus Landing Page

Just as Theodore had a spoonful of warm stew in his mouth, hearing the man's words before him, he immediately gulped down his food in shock.

"Really? I won't have to spend a single copper?!" Theo quickly asked the bartender, who had suddenly become a saint in front of his eyes. It was true that he was running low on money, and the stew had already hurt his wallet a bit, but if he was given free food in exchange of manual labor, he would happily grab on that opportunity. Besides, it's not like he's not experience in doing household chores such as washing dishes. In fact, he would help his mother in washing dishes after dinner every time. Right now, this was like being given a piece of charcoal in the middle of a snow storm.

@supernal

Edited by Kilnareth

The bartender shrugged in response to Theo's question.

"So long as that appetite of yours concerns itself with soup and ale, then sure. Washing dishes ought to take care of it just fine."

The bartender used a rag to mop off the countertop and keep the rings of condensation from various mugs and bottles from drying off there. He used an entirely different rag to dry the inside of a row of mugs a dishwasher just dropped off behind the counter.

"If you want some meat in that stew you can clean the bathrooms. And if you've got a taste for some fancy liquor, I can oblige you, but there's some rats in the basement you'll have to run out of town. But hey, don't let me spoil your appetite. Eat up stranger. Where you from? Where you headed to?"

@Kilnareth

"I don't have any goal right now and just wandering aimlessly and nothing to my name at the moment so I guess I can take your requests and do the best I can." Theodore sheepishly smiled at the man, but behind the words that he said, there was a feeling of loss and melancholy.

"I'm just from a small farm that's west of Elendaron, more or less near Bunwei. Some... matters happened that lead me to leaving my home behind. Right now, I don't know where to go..." Theodore just stared at his meal as he tried to suppress his feelings and telling someone his sad story. After all, that would only leave a bad taste, right?

"Anyways..." Shaking off those deep feelings again, Theodore faced the bartender with a more jovial expression to rid of the negative thoughts. "I'll happily take on your tasks, even if it's just cleaning the basement of rats. They are after all unhygienic and would certainly not bode well for the wine if they were to prolong their stay in there."

@supernal

Edited by Kilnareth

"Ah well friend I'll tell you this much. It may seem dark now but if you keep on walking you'll get to where you gotta be sooner or later. The walk ain't easy but it'll get you there."

The bartender gathered up Theo's empty mug and bowl and dropped them into the container which had been used to deliver clean dishes. To those he added every dirty mug, glass, and bowl on the counter. As they kept talking, a busboy came from the kitchen, collected the dirty dishes, and took them to the back to get them clean.

"So you'll try your hand at rat-killin' eh? Good. It's just what we need. I'll take you down to the basement and you get your ass down there and clear 'em out. Don't care if you scare them or kill them or whatever you do, just get them out of here. Do that and any food or drink for yourself is free. Owner says that that he even has something extra for anyone that does a good job, but I'll keep that as a surprise for now.

The bartender, Gryn by name, led Theo away from the bar, through the main area, past the bathrooms, to a dimly light hallway which terminated with a descending staircase. From a chest at knee level Gryn handed Theo a torch and Firestarter.

"This here's the basement fella. Good luck."

And left.

@Kilnareth

Edited by supernal

Kyle walked through the door of tavern.. He looked around and breathed a heavy sigh. " I can rest now. Don't even know where I am." Kyle spoke to himself. He continued walking till he reached the bar. " Bartender, if you would give me some ale, I would greatly appreciate it." Kyle spoke in a relieved, yet tired, voice. He rested as the bartender got him his drink. Kyle smiled and took a sip from his ale while laying down his payment. 

Looking at the receding back of Gryn who made his way back to his station, Theodore couldn't help but look at his reward. A special brew that makes you strong? This was a first for the inexperienced Theo. Although he himself was a mere Novice in his skills as a Potion Engineer, he still had some knowledge on a few herbs that had the effects of regaining lost stamina and invigorating the body with a refreshing energy. Of course, he only knew and haven't tried one yet. As far as he knew, he had only managed to concoct a [Lesser Healing Potion] and that was only made after a dozen of failures.

Looking at the wine bottle in his hand, he had already recognized it as some sort of treasure. With only 10 swigs left 'til it's empty, it was wise for Theodore to save it in case of emergencies. After all, he was already given an additional reward of free food in the tavern provided that he was only restricted to cheap meals, but at least it was better than nothing.

Taking out his own waterskin from his pack strapped to his belt, he emptied what little water it had within and carefully replaced it with special wine. When he poured the liquid to the waterskin, the strong smell of the wine entered Theo's nose and slightly flinched, convincing him more of how potent this concoction was.

Feeling his waterskin gain weight and seeing the last drop of the special brew entering his waterskin, Theodore nodded in a sense of accomplishment.

This was his first job, and even though the task was very difficult, he endured it till the end and was rewarded generously. He was proud of himself, and hoped that his parents were proud of him as well as they looked over him from the Heavens above.

With that finished, Theodore finally entered the tavern feeling better than before.

"Hmm... calling this thing special brew is kind of a waste. Let's call it [Tonic of Vigor]."

Edited by Kilnareth