Acies ab Vesania

Tavern of Legend Season 3

The portal was an interesting experience for Wendin to say the least, one moment he was on earth fleeing for his life and the next, he just wasn't. After taking stock, his belongings came with him and everything seemed to be in order , he wandered a bit before finding the dim path to the tavern. He arrived in time to see sparks fly from a generator outside the shack.  He shouldered his bag, the leather creaking slightly in protest but it would hold.  "Ahh crap" He muttered to himself  "New guy in town, and the generators fried"  he shook his head "Just my luck" 

"Yes, we might get blamed. The inhabitants might try to kill us for itThe voice in his head mused 

The thought sent a chill up his spine, he paused and the hairs on his coffee colored skin stood up in response.  He took a deep breath and brushed his arms down over his jacket to soothe them. Removing the thong from his revolver out of instinct. "Sure hope not" he said as he resumed his approach to the shack. 

To say he jumped out of his skin when the loudspeaker on the ship above blared would be an understatement. His heart rate increased and adrenaline reflexively filled his veins. Collecting himself he couldnt help but stare, intrigued by the craft as it ascended and sped off into the distance.  He couldn't help but pause, looking at this shack and busted generator, then back to where the craft had been 

"We are definitely not in Kansas anymore Toto" He muttered to himself 

"I have a proper name you know, and it isn't Toto"  The voice responded to him 

"Yea i know" He chuckled "and ill never say it out loud spirit" he said resuming his walk to the door of the shack, the lights now dark as night. 

"Lets see whose home shall we" 

The barmaid at the counter picked up Ira’s coin from the table. “I guess might as well, eh? Before the water gets cold? Or we may have to get a mage to cook the water for us, old-style.” She shrugged, then started preparing the beverage.

As Wendin neared the door of the shack, it suddenly opened, almost hitting him in the face. “Oh, I’m so sorry. Didn’t expect someone to  be there.” Out came a scruffy blond man in his mid-twenties carrying a lantern. “Welcome to the Tavern of Legend, though it’s probably not very welcoming right now.” He pointed to a sign next to the door that was hard to make out in the darkness. The words were clearly meant to light up, when there was power. “That says weapons at the counter, but we’re making an exception right now. I’m just heading to the generator to see what’s wrong with it. Come on in, the rest will get you settled while we try to fix the problem as soon as we can.”

If Wendin stepped into the tavern, he would be surprised that the interior was much larger than what the shack looked like from the outside. It was not a luxurious establishment, but it was comfortable enough, and it was a relatively busy night, with customers gathering round to talk about the sudden happenings, what with the alien invasion and the blackout. Someone had started the fireplace, which gave them some light at least, and also warmth, since it was a cold night. 

He tilted his hat to the man with the lantern "No worries, no harm done" looking inside, his eyes adjusting to the darkness he could see that it was much larger inside than it appeared  nodding to the sign he said " an exception? expecting some trouble? Maybe thats what those sparks were that i seen walking up" He gestured to the back of the shack "After you, an extra pair of eyes and ears never hurt anything, especially when there's trouble" 

The door to the shack opened, and inside walked a young and weary half-goat half-man, wearing a large backpack and a broadsword stained with dried blood hung over his shoulder. He stood still for a moment, taking in the dingy establishment. It was dark, but he could make out a couple of maids(?) and a strangely dressed man. Usually, he would have shown interest towards the strange man, but right now he didn't care. All he wanted then was some hot food and a soft bed to take a long sleep in, after properly bandaging the giant cut across his left arm.

Spoiler

My first post! Did I do that right? There's a lot on this site to take in.

Edited by reverentsatyr

“Sparks?” Fjorn asked. “Well, that is highly unusual. Perhaps not more unusual than the alien who just dropped by, but still. Come, we shall see what is going on.” He led the way towards the magitech generator, which was situated off to the side of the tavern, in a smaller building. “We are in neutral territory, if you know,” he explained to Wendin along the way. “We are not serviced by the three continents of Terrenus, Genesaris or Renovatio, that’s why we have our own generator. Luckily, we do have our contacts, and this generator is built by one of the most renowned engineers in Terrenus - he’s also a professor at the Gaian academy. And that’s why it shouldn’t be failing..” 

Fjorn produced a key from his pocket, and fit it into the lock. A turn, and a click. He put his hand on the handle. “Ready?” He asked. Just then, the screeching and creaking sound of metal emitted from inside the building.

-

“Come in, come in,” Vaddock, the bartender, said to the goat-man. “We’re open, though unfortunately the power is down right now. From the flicker of the fireplace, he saw the newcomer’s bleeding arm. His tone turned cautious. “Did you meet with some trouble on the way here?” he asked.

"Terrenus? Genesaris?  Renovatio? Three continents?  Where i come from there are seven" he shook his head talking as they walked around the building "Im from a place called earth, then a portal brought me here. Are you familiar with it at all, better yet is there anything i should be aware of while im here?" gesturing to his revolver "im assuming this still works since i saw a freaking spacecraft a few moments ago, but im pretty sure the person entering as we were departing was part goat so im not sure what to expect to be honest with you" as they approached the generator shed, the man placing the key into the lock  "Ready?" he repeated back to the man quizzically, he paused hearing the screeching and creaking inside the shed, his instincts kicking in causing him to squat slightly in case something came barging out at them "Ready as a P.I. from earth can ever be i suppose" nodding his hat 

What the hell is that guy talking about? thought Penrod. Then he addressed the other man's question. "You could say that. I'm not having a problem with the law, but I've been on the run. I really need to tend to my arm. Does this place have any..." His mouth dropped open at the sight of the tavern revealed within. It was huge, but did Penrod not just walk into a rusty shack? He was used to seeing unusual things in his time, but this... was beautiful.

”Earth, like the ground? I assume you mean something else. Well, outsiders arriving here are not anything new it all. It is why this tavern exists. Somehow most newcomers find their way here. We don’t know how you can get back, but at least we can provide you with information about Valucre - maybe it will help you find a way back, or maybe you’ll have to settle here eventually.”

”Better yet is there anything i should be aware of while im here?"

”Yes,” Fjorn said, pointing at his gun. “If that is similar to what I’ve seen before, it may not work properly here.” Gunpowder was an unreliable substance on Valucre. (Read link here) Fjorn passed him one of his daggers, hilt first, before he kicked open the doors. It was darker inside than outside, and it took a while for their eyes to adjust to the darkness. A small figure, half their height, was crouched in one of the corners.

Spoiler

OOC: Feel free to push the story onward! Describe the small figure, describe the room, anything. Wing it!

-

The tavern was much larger on the inside than it seemed on the outside, but it was shrouded in notable darkness. The magitech power had gone out, and that was why Fjorn and Wendin had gone to  investigate the generator. 

Vaddock was not entirely satisfied with Penrod’s explanation. Even if it was not the law, it could be any number of things. But he had the feeling that Penrod wasn’t a bad person. “Take a seat, and we’ll see to tending to that wound.” He procured a lantern from the counter, lit it and placed it on the table. He then went to the back to retrieve bandages. Injuries were not an uncommon sight within the tavern, and they stocked plenty of first aid supplies.

Penrod gratefully tugged off his backpack and sank into a chair, taking in the tavern. It was still dark, but his people's native magic granted him special sight, a good deal better than other races. He saw someone in one of the corners, but decided to ignore him.

"So, how much for one night?" Asked the satyr as he reached into his pack and pulled out a small pouch stuffed with gold, and took out a few pieces. His gold were the shapes of studded hooves. "I know the currency is much different around here, but I've experienced that any form will do for most people, as long as it's gold."

Penrod looked at Vaddock for an answer, but realized with a shock of horror that he was peering curiously at the small glass flask of floaty black liquid, poking out from other contents and belongings. Penrod slowly closed his pack, repeating, "How much for a night?" He asked the question steadily, but his heart was hammering. If the man before him knew what the black liquid is, and what it can do, then the tavern might not be a safe place to rest after all. He did not need more people tracking him down, seeking the very thing that Penrod swore to protect and keep from groping hands.

OOC question: I still know very little about the lore, so I just totally made up this satyr thing. Is that alright, or is there already lore about the race that I need to follow?

Wendin nodded in appreciation taking the dagger from the man, readying it just before he kicked the door in.  "Not much for subtley eh?" He joked.  The room was dark and musty. His eyes quickly ajusting to the darkness, he reached into the room with his senses. What his eyes missed at the moment his nose and ears didnt.  He heard a soft muttering, rythmic , repetitive. He could smell the grease and oils it was covered in. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness a short figure, maybe 3 feet tall was crouched in the corner clutching somthing metallic and whispering somthing.  Wendin approached cautiously , looking around the shack containing the now powered off generator. He noticed that there was a bit of metal bridging the gap between two conduits bearing blackend marks on it. "Well i found where the sparks came from, our little friend here caused a short" turning his attention to the figure it was now eyeing him cautiously, still muttering to itself and the piece of metal it was holding. Its hands blackened from the burst of electricity but it seemed ti be suffering no other outward effects from it.  He squatted slightly , tucking the dagger into his belt and holding his hands palm out to the creature. "Heyy there, its ok nobodys here to hurt you, whatcha got there?"   The creature tightened its grip at first before showing them after a period of time. Wendin, turning back to the other man "any idea what that is?"

Ira and Aidan sat at the table drinking their tea tolerating the lack of power, when he saw the others burst in. This seemed to happen pretty frequently at the tavern, and Ira had been there frequently enough that he had gotten used to it by now. One of the newcomers was clearly a man, but had no visible weapons and seemed to be dressed in a very peculiar outfit. 

"Maybe he is a merchant, and disdains fighting" he thought. Either way, it wasn't really his business.

The satyr he recognized instantly for what it was. He had heard about them before, but couldn't recall ever actually being introduced to one. He was thinking that the satyr's affairs were none of his business either until he saw the gold that he carried. At that, he picked up his ax and shield, and heard the clunk of his armor hit the floor as he walked over to them.

"Greetings. What brings you here?" @Dresdnd @reverentsatyr

Vaddock looked curiously at the gold pieces out of Penrod’s wallet. “That’s pretty intricate. I’ve never seen anything like it before. We usually charge one gold piece per night. I suppose I’ll take one of your gold,” he said.

Spoiler

Terrenus/Fracture currency system:

Copper, silver, gold, and platinum are the most common precious metals traded and used for purchase. Value is determined by weight and type, not by design or origin, allowing travelers and immigrants from other countries to more easily integrate.

1 oz of Tin = .25 USD

1 oz of Copper = 2 USD

1 oz of Silver = 10 USD

1 oz of Gold = 50 USD

1 oz of Platinum = 100 USD

1 oz of Rhodium = 500 USD.

Vaddock spied various other unfamiliar knick knacks in his bag. “Where are you from, if I may ask? Most people foreign to Valucre came here accidentally, but you look like you came here on purpose. We have Waygates in the Tavern that can bring you to any of the major cities, so if that would be convenient for you, just ask.” Vaddock looked up at Ira, who must have caught his words about the Waygates. “The same goes for you too, if you have a particular destination in mind.”

-

Fjorn mock-flicked his hair at Wendin’s joke about his lack of subtlety. He held the lantern up to the corner that the creature was hiding in. It - or she - could be described as a small human, almost a halfling of sorts, and was more scared than aggressive. Fjorn scratched his chin, trying to remember the name of its species. “You’re, a- a.. an Ulway?” he asked. The Ulway looked up at him, then nodded slightly. “Well, you’re a long way away from home,” he said, then turned to Wendin to explain. “Ulways are a tribal race in Terrenus. They are a semi-hivemind, so it is strange that she would be alone.” 

The thing in her hand was an irregular shaped object, dull orange in colour. “Ercaniron,” Fjorn sighed. “A magic destabilizer. Luckily, it’s not at its most volatile stage. I can restart the generator, but we have to get that rock away from here first.” When the Ulway heard that, she muttered a string of unintelligible words that was vaguely Terric, then hugged it close to her body.

“Well, or get her away from here. If we can coax her into the tavern, we can figure out what to do. It’s warmer there too.”

Wendin nodded as the man explained the situation at hand.

"Maybe we should kill it, just to be safe. It'd be quick, painless...mostly." the spirit in his head voiced.  Wendin shook his head slightly ignoring the naagloshii.

"Well if shes a long way from home, shes probably hungry and tired." then somthing he said rang into thought "Volatile?" He repeated "and you want to bring it into the super tavern back there?"  He gestured with his thumb. Then realizing he may as well be in wonderland here he shrugged "well you'd know better than i would" turning to the little ulway "Well how about it? Would you like to come in and get bite to eat and get warm?" He said Still squatting to her level so as not to seem threatening. Stepping aside slightly so she wouldnt feel crowded 

"Yes invite the midget with a bomb into the house, great idea nimrod"  The naagloshii spoke to him . Wendin sighed slightly cautious of his surroundings , he waited for the little ulway to make its decide "nobodys going to harm you little one" his blood ran cold for a moment. Little one is a phrase the naagloshii used often, why had he used it just now. His brow furrowing slightly in thought.

Edited by Dresdnd

Penrod, feeling quite exhausted and still nervous about his black liquid, decided to answer both questions directed to him all at once. "Greetings. I'm just on the move from some... thieves. Err... they lost a big gambling game to me and they're trying to kill me for their gold back. And I had no idea this place existed until now, I'm just looking for places to lay low for a night of two." Thieves? Really? My blind granny can see through that lie. Thought Penrod, but he was too worn out to care at that time. He tossed one of his coins into Vadock's hand.

“There isn’t that much concentrated magic in the tavern. We’ll just have to make sure she stays away from the Waygates. It doesn’t look like she’s gonna let go of that thing, and I would rather not just chase her away.” Fjorn explained. Wendin was gentle with the creature, and that left Fjorn with a good impression of the newcomer. When this was done, he would make sure to sit down with Wendin, give him a proper rundown of the ins and outs of Valucre.

The Ulway shied away at first, retreating into her corner, but then she took a tentative step towards Wendin, then another. Whereever Wendin moved, she would follow him cautiously, hugging the Ercaniron ore close to her body. “Go on ahead, I’ll just be restarting the generator, and I’ll join you in a bit. If Vaddock asks, tell him I told you to take her in.”

-

“Well, I’ll take your word on that,” Vaddock said to Penrod, not entirely convinced, but not wanting to turn away a customer. “We’ll get the room prepared, but do you want something to drink for the moment? Unfortunately we have no hot food to serve you while the power is down, but a strong brew or tea is not beyond us.”