A Case For Journalistic Integrity

Genre:

Western/Dieselpunk/Fantasy

Norkotia, Terrenus

Idea Info:

Okay ladies and gentlemen, this is going to be my first open RP set in a city that I’m building-up. Since the location is my creation, I’ll be GMing the plot and controlling most of the NPCs. I only need one other writer as a minimum, but I’ll take up to three. This is not first-come, first-serve. I would like to canonize this thread if it actually happens, so I reserve the right to deny people based on their posting reliability, writing quality or character choices. (Makes me sound like an ass, but would like to make this a quality thread.)

Also, I’d ideally like for you to read up on Norkotia before signing on, but I’ll give a brief summary of what the place is like so you know if you’re interested or not before wasting time reading the whole article:

Spoiler

Norkotia is a relatively sparsely populated city that serves as the central hub for a confederation of smaller towns connected by rails and roads. The terrain is flat and mostly made of fields and farmland, with occasional tree groves and a few low hills. There is a large lake that borders the Northwest edge of the city.

The culture resembles the Midwestern United States for the most part, with some elements of the Wild West as well. Technology ranges from about 1900-1980 in level. The people have virtually no knowledge of, or use for, magic, which has resulted in a fossil fuel-based economy. Because they are culturally opposite of most of Terrenus, the people in this isolated region are wary of the rare outsider who passes through.

One other thing, and this is fairly important, is that magic is severely weakened in the area. If your character uses magic, expect to only have about 20-25% of your normal power level. I will enforce this, since I’d like to make this RP canon for my city/faction’s progression.

Now that that’s out of the way, here’s the RP’s story premise:

The recently elected chairman of the Norkotian council is exceptionally unpopular with the current ruling elite. The chairman’s supporters suspect that the media is collaborating with corporate and political leaders to unfairly undermine the new regime. Now, a few months after the election, several shady characters have began moving about the city, seeking criminals, transients and foreigners for a secret mission. Indications are it involves breaking and entering a facility to steal something, but details are kept vague until the prospective burglars were willing to commit to the mission. Once they have committed, they will be given a mission briefing from an individual over a voice recording. It will then be explained that their task is to break into the headquarters of the Norkotian News Corporation, the city’s largest media conglomerate, and search for any information that would implicate the news media giant of collusion with other entities. The facility has no magic barriers or high-tech devices, but it is guarded by private security guards and is of sturdy construction. It is preferred that the burglars accomplish their goal undetected. Payment will be less substantive if no incriminating evidence is recovered. The PCs will be paid in the form of unmarked silver bars.

The RP can either start at the secret assembly point where the PCs receive their briefing, if people prefer that to be on-screen. Alternatively, this can be skipped and the players can start outside the NNC building and start the burglary right off the bat. As I said, I will GM the NPCs and will try to describe most of the settings and scenarios. If you decide to create a local character, run it by me first, but I generally expect everyone will be providing "foreign" characters.

I'm probably forgetting some piece of information, so keep an eye on this post in case I edit new things in. And be sure ask if any of you have any questions. I've never officially created an RP or GMed an actual plot on Valucre before, so bear with me.

Edited by Tyler

hey cool i actually specifically made a burgular type character not too long ago and right now am finishing up an art heist thread with him. so this would be a perfect next job for him. i'm pretty new to the forum but if you check my posting history you can see that i haven't missed a turn yet so i like to say i'm pretty reliable. my character uses bard magic and has botany and herbalism knowledge for when his magic isnt of any use so i think he would do alright in that kind of element, and would be very interested in exploring it too as a curiosity 

do you want to see my character?

9 minutes ago, scrivener said:

hey cool i actually specifically made a burgular type character not too long ago and right now am finishing up an art heist thread with him. so this would be a perfect next job for him. i'm pretty new to the forum but if you check my posting history you can see that i haven't missed a turn yet so i like to say i'm pretty reliable. my character uses bard magic and has botany and herbalism knowledge for when his magic isnt of any use so i think he would do alright in that kind of element, and would be very interested in exploring it too as a curiosity 

do you want to see my character?

I just read the profile from the link under your profile. Definitely works for me, though just so you know, Norkotia is pretty far inland (between Hell's Gate and Blairville in Terrenus). Just so you know for the sake of your personal character canon. Also, I was going to say that I would like to see good punctuation and grammar, but your character article is well-written and looks good, so I think we won't have any problems! (Sorry, I'm a OCD Grammar Nazi sort.)

Anyway, you're in!

7 minutes ago, Diremast said:

Should you find it acceptable, Jeremiah Jackson would surely be up for it. 

Reading now. Okay, yeah. Looks good to me. You're in too!

I'll accept one more person.

Edited by Tyler

Just now, Diremast said:

Cool! Just tag me in the thread. :3

I will when it goes up. It'll be a while before I make the actual RP thread, which will also buy a little time to see if a third person wants to enter or not.

Just now, Tyler said:

I will when it goes up. It'll be a while before I make the actual RP thread, which will also buy a little time to see if a third person wants to enter or not.

Alright, no rush! 

I probably won't be posting until at least tomorrow, but in order to start formulating my opening post, I need to know which option you guys prefer. Would you rather start with an on-screen briefing sequence, or would you rather just skip ahead to where you're about to actually break into the place?

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I probably won't be posting until at least tomorrow, but in order to start formulating my opening post, I need to know which option you guys prefer. Would you rather start with an on-screen briefing sequence, or would you rather just skip ahead to where you're about to actually break into the place?

I'm fine with both, but think it would be cool to get some IC information about the heist. 

I will attempt to create the opening post tonight. If someone else wants to sign on before we get too far, I'll let them in, but once the briefing is over I'll close recruitment and request this thread get moved in to an OOC section.

Okay guys, thread is up. You're both tagged, but here's the link anyway:

I generally imagine neither of your characters have meet before tonight, unless you both wish to work that in somehow. I at least imagine they were recruited separately though.