Dizzy00

Quest of Babdol

Carol looked back at Tsidia, the new dragons that she met. She waved her over, wishing that as many people could join the quest. "Hey, come over here! We are forming a party." Carol could not help grinning, as the quest party started to grow.

@Tsidia, the mind player

@Dizzy00

@Ellipsis

She greeted Nat. Carol gathered a small crowd with the end of obtaining a job. She acknowledged the members with a nod and slid the ring into the lining of her skirt. It was likely that this small piece of jewelry was involved in her murder. She needed to find out what had happened. Even if she distrusted these people, the corpse was in dire need of silver, and she could see that the abilities of the individuals would make them invaluable as a team.

" Carol," she whispered walking up to the woman," I need help."

She showed her the ring which had been cloaked in the dress earlier, " I recognize this thing, it- I think it belongs to the Coucy's house. Help me get to them. " 

The slimy little creature hissed in frustration at being thrown outside the bar. It snuck back in as soon as the door opened and climbed the rafters to watch the Coucy dismantle the ring from her skirt. 

Smart girl, it thought. The animal sent a pulse through the air. 

Back at the dilapidated Coucy estate, an older man in a ruffled blue suit felt a pulse in his imitation of the Coucy family ring. He stared at it disbelieving. 

That bitch, he whispered.

"Bring back, the ring"  he ordered the creature.

Tsidia blinked at the sudden invitation. After brief consideration, the ness slithered her way to Carol. "Is it really that simple to you?", she snorted. Well, it wasn't like the dragoness had anything better to do anyway. "Count me in", she chirped and nuzzled between Carol's legs. Soon, she was wrapped around him like a cat. Only the tip of her tail was sticking out.With raised eyebrows, Nat could only watch in abject disbelief.

Their party grew instantly, and by a degree he hadn't expected. He eyed the dragoness in particular, a glint of mirth in his eyes. "Welcome." He says, giving her a nod and a healthy respectable distance. It wasn't that he was scared. It was more that he just didn't want to die, and she seemed the sort that could make that happen. His hand absentmindedly came to rest on the hilt of his blade, a weapon that was crafted with fine attention to detail. Though all that mattered little if you didn't know how to use it.

"So, where is it we're going?"

1 hour ago, Dizzy00 said:

She showed her the ring which had been cloaked in the dress earlier, " I recognize this thing, it- I think it belongs to the Coucy's house. Help me get to them. " 

Iani had been listening with half an ear since others had taken an interest in the dead woman, cringed. A low chuckle seemed to emenate from his coat pocket. One of the many magic phrases that triggered his curse had been uttered by someone he had just spoken to: 'help me'. He didn't need to check his journal; he knew that a new directive had been inscribed in its pages. One of these days, he'd have to get around to clearing out some of the smaller problems so he'd once again have the option of ignoring it. Live and learn. Procrastination kills.

At least it wasn't getting him into some kind of hellish dragon war this time. Silver linings, and all that.

"Ok, great, a murder-mystery-slash-revenge thing. Count me in. I was getting bored here anyway, what with all the food I could eat, alcohol I could drink, and beautiful women throwing themselves at my bed. Pshaw. Who can live that way, really?"

He tipped his hat towards the group. "Iani, at your service." A loud bleat sounded from behind him, at floor level. A brown and white pygmy goat stared up at him, seeming mildly offended. "Oh, and that's Crucible. Don't worry, he's house trained, and doesn't bite. Well... no, we'll just stick with that. Doesn't bite."

Carol looked at the dead woman, listening to her as the dragoness wrapped around her legs. She stared at the dead woman when she finished, confused at was going on. "Who is Coucy?" she asked, stumped by the ring. Carol knew that this is what their quest would be, to find Coucy and return the ring. She took a sip of her tea, and glanced at the new members of the party that joined in. 

The critter glistened coal red then settled back to black. He started down the column closest to the dragon's tail, then poised itself on her fins. The critter hid a soft deformed body under its lobster-like shell he poked his head out from under it and formed a small slit for a mouth. It had little sharp teeth and an ugly deformed tongue which it used to lick and anesthetize a spot on her scales. Then, it dug its feet and head into her scales like a tick, camouflaging like a wart.  

" I don't remember, but Babdol...I think that's where I lived." 

The dead woman felt a shiver run down her spine. She glanced around her cautiously. A strange warmth spread from her column to her hands, but with no immediate threat, it suppressed itself. 

After being welcomed to the party, Vince took an empty seat and listened. After a few minutes of listening, He learned that this undead girl has a ring and she has to bring it back to somebody called "Coucy". She also remembered living in a place called "Babdol".

Vince himself doesn't know where Babdol is so he asked, "You know where Babdol is, right?".

"Babdol sounds..." ominous, "familiar, but I don't-" The words got stuck in her throat. 

She gritted her teeth and motioned for the bartender. He attempted to compensate the initial awkwardness with speed. He read her gestures and returned quickly with a quill and parchment paper. He smiled too widely and returned too quickly. The corpse glared at him less harshly this time. Partially because she was too excited with her idea: to write. It would return the part of her voice that actually mattered. She wrapped a scrap of the dress against her finger's bones for grip. 

She set the quill against the bandage scribbling furiously then handing it to Carol triumphantly. 

I can't remember where it is

The meaning sunk in, I can't remember Babdol...Or anything else for the matter, she thought scornfully. With that, she jabbed the ring onto her bandaged finger. She was gonna find this place. She printed two identical notes, handed one to the new member unceremoniously. Then, with great cordiality, crouched in front of Tsidia extending the parchment sideways so she could see it better.

In crisp delicate cursive, she'd wrote, Would you take us to Babdol

She, of course, meant flying.

Edited by Dizzy00

Tsidia was watching with a half-open eye, but there wasn't much she could do. The dragoness seemed to restart and boot up only when needed. "Babdol", what was that? Judging by the way of writing, this had to be some kind of place. For the first half, however, she needed few seconds more. Did they expect her, a dragoness wild from nowhere to be their guide? She barely found herself in the tavern, let alone a world she wouldn't visit all that often. Tsidia sat herself on her hinds. She shook her snout in protest, didn't bother to make a sound.

Then her eyes widened a little. She watched as a strange female made a motion to her back. Her wings closed out of her instinct, pose shifted to a defensive one. She would have snarled but reduced herself to a displeased growl. To ride a dragon was one of the highest honours. It was something most friends would dream of, let alone strangers she just met! Tsidia tilted her head to the woman, with the look of 'over my dead body'. Even if she could be persuaded, the ness was just too damned light. She could barely hold one person. Taking three would be a suicide.

Preserving her dignity, the ness lowered herself back to the ground. She once again curled over Carol's legs and closed her eyes. She was back to being a kitten.

Carol looked at the dragoness' motions. She knew what they meant, and understood the fact that a dragon may not want to be rode on. Carol chuckled a little, and looked back at the dead woman. "It seems that we won't have to be flying on her." Carol tried to move, but the dragoness was to heavy. She pointed towards an old man, someone who had a nice carriage. "He has a carriage which can take us to an old friend."

Vince looked at the carriage Carol was pointing at. "We could use that, right?". He read the note which the dead woman had given him. "But you don't know where Babdol is..." he trailed off and scratched his head. What should they do? Where is Babdol anyway? While Vince was thinking, he noticed an obsidian ring inserted in the dead woman's finger. He went up close and inspected the ring. "What's this ring for anyway?"

Iani sighed. He'd hoped he wouldn't have to use his cursed compass, being that it was both unreliable at dramatically opportune moments and tended to draw more questions than he wanted to answer. But if nobody knew where they were going, and this quest was going to clog up his damned journal until it was done, the choice was actually fairly easy.

The panther-kin reached into his coat and pulled out the battered, impressively complicated-looking navigation device.

He fiddled with it, turning the outer edges to line up an array of arcane symbols. The needle spun for a moment, then pointed to the door leading out of the tavern.

"Awesome," he muttered. "So you're gonna be like that today, huh?"

She scowled at Carol.  It was humiliating enough to ask a ness for a ride without someone laughing at the failure of the endeavor. She picked herself up while the others contemplated new methods of transport. Carol was the first one to point out the carriage. She felt a tingle of relief, and jealousy. 

Vince checked the note she'd gave him earlier,  "But you don't know where Babdol is..." 

No, she shook her head solemnly. 

"What's this ring for anyway?"

This ring? she thought, rotating it on her knuckles, that is a very good question. She shrugged, pulled it off to let him inspect it. She Drew it back once to emphasize it's importance, then let him have it. 

Tsidia remained stationary until obsidian flashed in her eyes. 'Is this what all this is about?' she asked herself and shook her snout. The dragoness let go of her victim and instead shifted closer to holder of a strange compass. Without Harry, she wouldn't be able to read the runes covering it. Before she knew it, Tsidia was wrapped around Iani. Her tail coiled many times over her arms and legs. The ness left enough room for her new carrier to move around as she wished. Tsidia shouldn't be a burden. She was light enough to be able to fly, after all.

Carol looked at the ring, quite stumped by it. She pondered about its importance, if it had some sort of power. Carol went towards the man with the carriage and engaged in conversation with him. The two spoke awhile, Carol trying to rent the carriage for a cheap amount. 

"10 credits!?" Carol shrieked dumbfounded at the high price. "What if I just bought all of the horses?"

The man pondered for a moment, interested in getting a deal. "Two for each horse," he said, warily stating a price. 

Carol decided that was still too much. "What about half a credit for each?"

The man wouldn't take the price. "Too low, one and a half?"

Carol knew she could get it lower. "Three quarters of a credit each"

The man shook his head. "No." Carol started to turn back and walk away, not wanting to deal with the man anymore. "Ok, ok! 1 credit for each horse, with saddles included!"

Carol's face grew a big smile. 

"Deal."