Kalmuli

The New Queen in Town

The invitation to sit in the seat of the crown...

Well she hadn't done this in awhile.

Kalmuli stared at herself in the mirror, her hair having been brushed and polished to a perfect coif and her bare skin exfoliated until she was smooth as a baby's ass. She exhaled, looking herself over in the polished glass. No mirrors. At least they had listened to that request and either covered them up or switched them out. Kalmuli heard a light tap on the wood door, one of the servants coming in with the gown she was supposed to wear for the ceremony and the announcement. She smiled politely, approaching in her unabashed nudity and accepted the help to put it on. It had a silk slip underneath but her shoulders and drapery were sheerer. Kalmuli adored the feel of the lighter fabrics on her skin compared to her heavier mage robes. 

Looking at herself in the mirror, letting them pin a collection of emerald and gold flower pins in her hair and drape some long chains of jewelry that shimmered. Looking at herself in the polished metal, she admired the work they put into preparing things and excused them so she could get herself collected. Large crowds made her anxious. In her vision, she saw all of the threads that composed everyone in a jumbled heap. It took a lot not to want to sort them out but that usually ended up in a blood bath. Kalmuli drifted to the speech she had written and rewritten. Oh sure she could talk in front of a small crowd of students....but this was a kingdom. Someone else's kingdom. A kingdom full of expectations of the mysterious mage and fortune teller who was to sit on the throne in place of another elf who was currently pregnant. 

Kalmuli folded up her speech and slipped into the bosom of her dress. 

Another knock and it was time to go. 

There was a small processional that would go with her. Someone to hold the train of the gown while it fluttered around. Kalmuli let her mind wander around while she was given an arm and lead up to the stage where she would take the oath under the Scarlet Kingdom to perform her duties until it was time to step down. Then she knelt and there was a small, thin crown put on her head. Not as brilliant as the first Queen herself but enough that was enough to acknowledge the title and her position. Rising up, she was announced the title.

"Presenting the Queen Regent of Altissium! Kalmuli---wait, last name?"The announcer questioned and Kalmuli just shook her head. 

Stepping forward, she would give the speech she had scrawled away in her bosom. 

"Ladies, Gentlemen and those of the sea! Thank you for those beautiful ceremony to welcome me into your city. It wasn't long ago that I took on the challenge of bringing Predator's Keep back to it's glory after ruin. To be recognized for such a humanitarian effort and extend that assistance out to Altissium is an honor."She spoke to the court. "I look forward to working with the people and the mages of this city by the bay."

Once the short speech was over, it was like a weight was lifted off of her shoulders. For now. There was a reasonable feast, dancing and greeting that took her back to her younger days. Days of balls, dancing and courtly behavior that was womanly and welcome. The next couple of days after the ceremony was catching up on what needed to be done and expressing some ideas. Kalmuli expressed interest in the structures, including the Mage school that she wanted to check out their curriculum. 

A day later, Kalmuli was sitting in a meeting room with stacks of papers, waiting for any visitors or appointments that would distract her for a little while from sign, stamping and repeating. 

There came a knock on the door. On the other side, two men, one with shaggy dark hair and a beard that started from the hairline and made it's way to a goatee, to his side, a younger appearing man in light fitting half-plate mail wielding a solid kite shield and a longsword. The older man tipped back a water-skin while he waited for a response, there was a bit of shakes to him, mostly from anticipation.

"Oh..my god..relax, you look like an alcoholic looking for a new fix."

"Shut up, you don't.."

"You're really going to try and tell me I don't have any idea? Really?"

"Oh..yeah..sorry.."

"Just..ease up a bit man. You shouldn't have an issue with your nerves anymore, so just take it down a bit."

"Yeah but.."

"No but, really think looking shaky is a good way to look?"

"Haha, I suppose you're right."

"I am right, no center and focus yourself...god and to thing 'you' were a mentor.."

There came sounds of long breathing from the other side of the door as the older gentleman began to focus his mind and ease his nervousness.

Kalmuli raised her head up, her pet Peacock Cat raising it's head from it's spot on the windowsill behind her. She sat back in her chair, sighing and rubbing the back of her neck. There was a guard on the interior and another on the exterior, protecting the doors. Kalmuli would have rather have the solitude but having the extra protection was necessary. She was only a stand-in but she still held authority here. Rising, she gestured to her guard and he would step away from his post to open the door. He was large enough to block the doorway, looking to the two men who were outside. 

"Let them in. It's not like they can get past you and Herald outside."She said, getting up from her chair and shifting her gown about so she could move around the desk. She moved over to the couch on the right that was part of the informal meeting area. She sat down, giving herself time to stretch and make herself presentable. "Come in gentlemen."

The large guard sighed, stepping aside to reveal the two strangers outside of her office door and Kalmuli stood only to greet them, her familiar joining her around her ankles, winding through the sheer, slinky material of her gown before climbing on the couch to rub against her hip. 

The young blonde was the first to step in, ushering for his charge to enter. 

"Well come in you bundled mess."

From behind him a familiar face stepped in, the wanderer who had left in order to deal with the Ardesian fiasco. 

"Well, well. This is where you've been? How's the official life treating you." Makiel stood there for a moment, hands in his side pockets. He was still dressed in his usual tattered 'rags' of cloth. 

"If you don't sit I'm going to kick your ass to a seat." The younger man burst out, ready to raise his boot up to kick against Makiel's back side. "Christ you're like my father when he get's lust driven."

Makiel moved to sit on a nearby chair. He bore a few scars, the two most notable being scorch marks in the shape of bullet holes. Something was different about him, he seemed a bit more energetic, more free then before. Less laid-back as well, he bore a smile on his face and his eyes had lost some of their shine. They were a dull brown hue now. His body looked more tone as well, his arms and legs being slightly more muscular, however his guard bore far more muscle. "I'm going Len, calm yourself. Haha, you're too impatient."

The younger guardsmen shook his head. as he moved away from the two for the moment, taking a place by the door with the other guard. He shifted an elbow at the door guard. "Hey, take a breather, I can take post for a moment. Standing around all day is a bore as is. My legs can take some time for you." Though it was spoken lightly, his demeanor was that of a well hardened warrior. His appearance was a bit young, being on the upside of maturity for elves, however he bore a look that was shared by those who'd spilled blood on a regular occasion.

Kalmuli saw the young elf first, raising an eyebrow. She felt a resemblance somewhere with him and suddenly it clicked. He looked a lot like Aldorto some some unfamiliar traits thrown in there. The other eyebrow joined the other when Makiel came in, a smile spreading across her face. She wanted to throw manners aside and show him how much she missed him but with the guards in the room and the young guard with him...dammit she had to behave. "Makiel..."She said, easing into a spot on the couches that was closest to him and reaching over to gently take his hand.  He seemed different. Almost like the sluggish, cool nature he had before got an energy boost. KAlmuli looked him over but instead of chewing him out to find out what had happened with Aldorto, she beamed her usual smile.  "I missed you...though, I guess it's typical of Travelers to end up in one odd place or another."

She eased against the couch arm, leaning over and giving him a kiss on the cheek. "Though I have to say, I'm well settled here. For now. I'm just surprised I was known. It's temporary...more like a working vacation really."She said, reaching over and brushing her hand against his scruff. Kalmuli gave the guard a wave to dismiss him to stand outside while Len...which she assumed was short for Lenix, guarded the interior. "It seemed your travels have blessed you with some...changes."

Makiel sat back with a wide smile, "Thank you. I missed you too. I'm just glad I made it. Got worried I wouldn't make it out of there." He moved a bit in his seat to lean forwards. "Aldorto found you. He sent me out this way to see you, said you might like to see me...he also said something about going to see Ingrid for a while as well." He turned back to look at Lenix by the door, "You go.."

"I'm fine. Just don't forget I'm partially here on business." Lenix took off his shield from his arm and used it to lean on. "And trust me miss, there's nothing that 'can' get through this door with me guarding it." He spoke not in jest or in cockiness, when he spoke Lenix believe every word he spoke. He'd been trained that way, going through the rough training that his 'uncle' Darius had put him through to become a hardened warrior. This included many different styles of fighting with different weapons, including hand to hand, great swords, grand-clubs, war hammers, great axe's, axe, mace, sword, spear and shield techniques. Lenix was trained to identify weak points and to harness the areas he was strong in. Though he displayed much in the way of youth, he still bore the mark of great strength. He carried around primal essence as well, earth, fire, ice, wind, along with a bit of divine essence as well. Trained to fight as a one man unit. "I'm just letting you have your chat is all."

Kalmuli leaned a little closer when he did to listen to him speak.  She smiled, reaching over and patting his hand. "Of course I do. It's not just anyone who I would gladly see again."She said, easing up out of her spot. She eased over, slipping into his lap once Lenix was out of the door and settled herself down so they weren't so distant. She missed him and this was the easiest way to show it for her while being in this position. "Of course...They hit it off quite well when we were in Orisia. After you both left, she asked to perform the Archmage Exam."

She smiled, reaching to play with his hair and run her fingers along his beard. "She passed. She's been looking for work ever since. Part of passing the Archmage Exam is performing a pilgrimage for work. If Aldorto managed to track me down here, he'll be able to track her down while she's doing the Miracle Pilgrimage."She said, leaning into him and relaxing against his shoulder. 

There was something else a miss about Makiel, his essence pool was now primarily primal essence however there was some raw arcane in him now as well as more in his divine reserves. He flashed a smile as she moved to get more comfortable. "Aww, you're too kind. It's refreshing to see you smile again. I can assume this place has you stressed out some. Following protocol, holding face, dealing with less desirable folk with a fresh elm up the ass, it's gotta be draining." When she got situated, Makiel ran his hand against her back to rub and sooth some tension their might be. Jobs like this were stressful, he knew this, and having his memory back fully, he knew that feeling. 

"Trust me," Lenix pipped in from the far side of the room, "If it's a woman he's interested in, we all better hope nothing has hurt her or taken her into discomfort....I've heard that story told a few times...it doesn't end well." Once he finished talking, Lenix drew his blade to inspect it. It was a gift from Darius, improved by Kreigstad, and imbued with runes from old man Kotelek. Though it seemed stupid to inspect it as often as he did, if he didn't check it for dings, dents, dullness, or a slip in the runes, he'd walk into a bad situation one day. He was pragmatic by nature. "That said, I know he'll be fine. It's everyone else you'd have to worry about. Now that he's back in his body and gotten a new wind in his sails...yeah, not going to be a pretty sight for anyone foolish enough to try and tell him no."

Kalmuli could feel the change...but as far as how it much it changed him, she could only find out more in private. Right now the timing and the place just weren't right. She beamed a grin, relaxing into his touch. The constant bending over a desk with the paperwork and keeping proper posture was killer on her lower back and she groaned. "Trust me, I don't miss it."She sighed. "The current Queen Regent is pregnant...but I assisted with a major disaster in Predator's Keep. I thought it was a fairly low key project but it caught the attention of the Red Queen and ultimately, the Regent in this area."She said, raising her arms up and giving a long stretch. Her back gave an applause of cracks. "Believe me, after this I'm going to take my time and enjoy myself with a nice long vacation to the South Sea."

Lenix's comment made her furrow her brow a little. So the old Al was now running free. She managed a little bit of a smile but of course, she remembered how aggressive he had been coming out the first time. If he was trying to find Ingrid, there was something that he wanted...but Ingrid could hold her own. She proved that with the Archmage Exam. "Ingrid can hold her own. After all, to pass the Archmage Exam you've got to beat me at near full strength. That itself is a dangerous task."She said with a shrug.  "Considering now she's passed, how she handles herself is no longer my problem until it does."

Lenix chuckled, this responses bared no meaning to him but he took the moment to return back to his duties. He knew a few things she didn't and he would hold them at bay, as to not disrupt the situation. He took his place at the door, his eyes and ears keeping track of things as they came and went. 

Makiel felt along Kalmuli's spine, poking and prodding his fingers where he felt knots and rough patches. "I can get some of this tension out of you, thought you'd have to take a recess for a little while. Perhaps later in the day when you are not needed at post?"

Lenix scoffed once more, "I am not to be your guard all night, if you wish to stay then my boots are touching ground on the morrow, so you best be ready."

Makiel chuckled, "I don't think Salvine will try that a second time Lenix, you can relax. Besides you did give him the ultimatum so he can't do anything even if he wanted to."

"Don't count on that. He's resourceful, however if you think you can handle it without my help then I shall leave you to your devices."

Kalmuli sighed and grumbled when his hands found a few tender spots. She leaned into him, resting her head against his shoulder. She could live with this at least. Kalmuli looked up to Makiel with a tired smile. "I have a few hours of free time this evening once I finish the paperwork here. I'm afraid that would leave you quite bored though...but it isn't urgent. I should be able to take a break."She said, easing up off his shoulder.  "Of course I want you to say...but at the same time I don't want to keep you from anything important."

There was a purring chirp down by their feet, Kalmuli's feathered feline familiar looking up at them and hopping up to join them in the cuddle. "Alright, come here Klaue."She said, bringing it in the middle of them. "What do you mean by ultimatum? What on earth happened?"

Makiel looked over at Lenix who simply shook his head. "I'll let Lenix explain all of that. As for the free time, I'd be glad just sitting here keeping you company." His free hand moved to pet at the bird like critter who was in the room with them, "Besides I think your friend here could use some attention as well." 

Lenix did not turn back as he spoke, his attention was focused on guarding the place. "When our business has been addressed then we can speak of the actions that took place. I can only assume you have questions, however once you have the time and are ready I will explain." For a son, he had a very strong presence, it wasn't confidence but experience that spoke through him. He bore little in the way of scars, in fact he could only count a few, however the mental scars were greater, yet he would refuse the help of those whom could addresses it. His demeanor was to remain tough for the sake of strength. He would not drag someone else into his issues.

Kalmuli looked over to Lenix. Yes, he was still very much like his father. She smiled at the thought and reached her hand up to rub under Klaue's chin, making it purr and chirp. "I found him on my trip here when I accepted the assignment. Well...more like I gave him no choice but to come with me."She said with a chuckle. Kalmuli gave the animal a kiss on the nose. "He's become a good familiar though. Animals native to the area work best with the mana."

She looked back to Makiel and gave him a little kiss on the nose as well. "Though you managed to come all the way here to Altissium...What business is it that you need taken care of? I don't know too much about the area yet...but maybe there's something I managed to pick up just with all the meetings I've had so far."She said, slipping out of Makiel's lap and taking Klaue with her, stroking the bird-feline along it's spine and through it's plume of feathers. "Once that's taken care of, I can end my work for the day."

Makiel adjusted to sit comfortably in the chair once Kalmuli got up. "He's looks like a good breed. I might have to find a creature to bond with." Makiel stretched his legs, it had been a long trip.

"It's my business, and on that note, I came here to discuss a possible negotiation. A few of them to be exact, mostly involving your services as well as some more personal things that my father was interested in...for whatever reason that may be." Lenix leaned in the door frame, he was still alert. He shared some of his father's qualities but he appeared more solid, more headstrong, and disciplined...this was mostly since he didn't do well at putting up a guise or a facade to hide this information. "When you're ready to discuss it I'd prefer to do so in private." Lenix placed his sword back in the sheath then the sheath into a spot on his shield to house it along with what looked like a small sword in a pouch secured into the shield. "I'd rather not disturb your touching moment if you aren't finished."

Kalmuli tilted her head. So it was just Lenix that needed something...or maybe Makiel did as well? She mused at the possibilities. She thought about, moving back onto Makiel's lap and let Klaue slip onto his shoulders, curling up around him like a warm neck cushion. "I would appreciate a little bit more time...I realize you are in a rush but my mornings are relatively free. If you stay here in the Palace, it will make having an early meeting much easier. That and the breakfast they serve here is quite tasty."She offered. "Otherwise, there are several inns around the bay that will accommodate you. I'd rather if you both stayed though. Aldorto, Makiel and yourself have almost become like family around my home."

Kalmuli looked back to Makiel. "It'll give us much more time to catch up at least...And my room here has the best view of the sunrise."She hinted.