DarkHorse

Under The Hot Desert Sun

Khepri smiled as she saw the wall of fire raise out of the corner of her eye. Her shadow puppets cleared the way for her as she ran through the camp, following the noise of her name being bellowed. 

There, in the center of the camp he stood, bellowing her name in rage, massive sword above his head swirling in his anger. He was at least a foot taller than her already impressive height, his massive chest bared and upon his head was a shock of hair just as coppery red as Khepri’s. He was her twin in every sense of the word, down to the birthmark on the base of his spine, the only difference was he was male, and did not possess her magic. 

“KHEPRI!” He bellowed.

“Brother.” She said quietly to counter his bellow. 

“Call it off.” He said.

”You must pay for your crimes.” She said as they began to circle each other.

They moved with the grace of two large jungle cats, preparing to fight to the death. He lunged at her, she blocked him with her spear. 

“I freed you.” He corrected, countering the blow she attempted to land on him, they were warming up. 

“You stole me from my home!” She hissed, “You destroyed the temple, killed priestesses and erected a likeness of yourself in sacred ground!” 

He swung at her viciously and she blocked it, countering him with a quick strike to the knee. He leapt back, getting a small cut in the process. 

“You should be the mother of kings.” He said, “You were wasted on that temple that took you from your rightful family....Garr would have been a good match had you just let him break you.” 

With an angry hiss she leveled several more quick blows, swinging her double sided spear like a windmill she pushed him back, back, back until his heels dug in and he shoved her away with one powerful sweep. 

“Him, his entire garrison, his elite guard, and anyone else that wanted to have a try.” She said through angry gritted teeth.

”You would not break!” Her brother aimed a blow at her that she had to kneel and put her spear over her head to block, she could hear the wood creak from the blow. 

“Nor will I - “ She said, “Not for any man, not ever.” 

With a cry she leapt up and brought her sword down on the head of her brother, with a swift cut upwards he shattered the shaft of her spear in half, breaking it in two. Words no longer necessary between them, she fought like a Bezerker, tossing the spear shards aside she unhooked her short blades and hefting them in each hand continued to fight him, blow for blow. 

She knew that she could lay down her weapons at any time and he would stop, tend to her wounds and care for her. She knew that he truly did think he was doing what was best for her - he was her twin. But she tucked that into the back of her mind as she fought him, he committed a terrible crime and she was a servant of the Goddess above all. 

She ignored the sting of the blade as it sliced down her cheek, the blood running into her eye, she ignored the gash that ran along her arm and threatened to make her arm numb....she just kept fighting, her magic lending power to her swings, giving her energy, blocking out the pain. She remained oblivious to the fighting around them, only they two existed. 

She cried out as his sword swung low, catching her in the side, cutting through flesh, muscle and finally lodging in the bones of her ribs. His surprise at landing the blow, and being unable to remove his sword quickly and cleanly threw him off guard. Khepri, with an anguished yell, took the opportunity to cleanly and neatly slice her blade across his unprotected throat, his face still holding the shocked look as the head rolled to the side and away into the dust. His hulking form falling to its knees and then toppling over. 

She too fell to her knees, as they touched the sand the control she had over the shadows slipped and they consumed their hosts before disappearing into a pile of ash. She tossed her swords aside and with a painful yank, pulled her brothers from her side, pressing her hands to it to keep it from bleeding out. Her blank eyes stared at her brother’s lifeless form. She was a twin killer - and an upholder of the Goddess will. 

Scarlett, with blood splattered on her beautiful, unscathed body, watched the battle. She knew this was not her fight, though she desperately wanted to rip every organ from the man. Five men tried to take this as an opportunity to stab her. Unfortunately for them the inscribed runes on her blade glowed blood red, and her sword became two demonic blades, made from a strong metal that looked like magma. She sliced all their throats and blood spilled on her.

Someone from a distance away shot her with an arrow. It hit her back on her right shoulder. Her hair went up like fire as her wings came out. She looked the man dead in the eye. He dropped the bow in fear and started running. She flew directly behind him and stabbed him twice, in both lungs. Her blades cut through the bone and pierced the other side of his body. She was tired of these men and seeing that Khepri was now injured, she made sure to lay waste to the men around. 

She flew faster than they could react and cut them all down. When she was done, she was covered in blood, and her blades faded as she ran to Khepri, the arrow still in her shoulder. 

"Khepri! Can you hear me?"

She knelt down to her.

Edited by Trevor Wisegem

He didn’t know what was happening out there and his work kept his mind from it.  When the day was over the temple stood as a grand testimony to his ability to put together a building.

He used the remaining time to search the scriptures  to try and find out about the destroyed statue. Which he wasn’t willing to remove due to fear of a cure or some holy wrath washing over them. 

He did not find out about it and so what was the be the master piece of the temple was left unfinished safely, he’d need the remaining Preistest to try and help him figure out the final piece.

The sounds of Sei puffing out air could be heard through the now silent camp. Bits of limbs were stuck in the barbs attached to her, her tusks stained red and her sides heaved from exhaustion. She began rifling around in the sand and digging in search of water. All movement seemed to cease, and the desert sand curled around them as a light breeze kicked it up. 

"I can hear you -" She said through gritted teeth, "But I may not in a little while..." 

She groaned and staggered to her feet, red dripping from under her hand that she had pressed there. She unraveled her head wrap and used it to clean away some of the blood to see how bad it was. The gash was deep, revealing some of the chipped ribcage beneath, shit, it was likely going to leave a scar, especially with what had to happen next. 

"You are going to have to burn it closed." She said, "I will hold the skin together if you will burn it for me. That should stop the bleeding until I can get back to the temple." 

She noticed the arrow sticking out of Scarlett's shoulder, "You have been stuck too, can you not feel it? Burn this closed and I will pluck that out for you."

She grimaced as she pinched the skin closed around the wound, her waist and pants stained a deeper red.