supernal

Terrenus AMA 2.0

I realize that the old AMA provided an easy means for members to ask me questions about Terrenus and get an authoritative answer, but I didn't put too much thought into archiving, and making it easy for members to find already asked and answered questions. Rather than backtrack the 50 pages of the old AMA, with some data that's sure to be outdated given the yearly changes Terrenus undergoes, I decided to start from scratch and make it easier on myself

The Terrenus landing page should be your main source of information. It covers the following topics: culture, language, magic, technology, communications, transportation, foreign relations, economy and historical periods. 

Questions (newer on top)

1. What is the hardness / durability of Auranite?
  2. Does creating new materials or items always require a dedicated thread?
  3. Has there been an exploration into the magic distribution canon event?
  4. Can members create their own exotic materials?
  5. Does Terrenus have any special or exotic materials?
  6. Can an ROE (rules of engagement) be forced?
  7. What position do church authorities take towards Unnaturals?
  8. How do I use the narrative damage system, or other dice/RNG systems in Terrenus?
  9. Can I canonize in a location in Terrenus not explicitly featured on the map?
  10. How is the Terrenus military affected by the changes to magical availability?
  11. What is the incentive for competitive vs collaborative roleplay?
  12. Is there a citizenship path?
  13. Does military service qualify me for the Gaian Academy?
  14. Can I surpass the power limit?
  15. Questions about transport speed, summoning abilities, and the power limit
  16. On the topic of magitech guns
Edited by supernal

So say that you have a thread that you want to canonize, and the act of canonizing it would create new opportunities for activity, however it isn't tied to an established location, what would be the best method for going about it?

The reason I ask is that the Wilds have a lot of land mass and features that aren't addressed with existing points of interest. There are mountain ranges, rivers, and islands. Someone might have a thread that if canonized could create new opportunities and impact existing locations, but may not want to go through the hassle of generating a new landmark. Is there a workaround for this, or are you basically stuck working in existing spots, unless you want to create a new one? (The issue is where would the thread be canonized too.)

45 minutes ago, Praetorian said:

So say that you have a thread that you want to canonize, and the act of canonizing it would create new opportunities for activity, however it isn't tied to an established location, what would be the best method for going about it?

The reason I ask is that the Wilds have a lot of land mass and features that aren't addressed with existing points of interest. There are mountain ranges, rivers, and islands. Someone might have a thread that if canonized could create new opportunities and impact existing locations, but may not want to go through the hassle of generating a new landmark. Is there a workaround for this, or are you basically stuck working in existing spots, unless you want to create a new one? (The issue is where would the thread be canonized too.)

The thread would be canonized in the nearest available landmark for its location, and the specific location can be specified in the short summary for the canon update and/or in the more detailed summary in the thread itself, where the opportunities would also get listed

To be more specific, practical, and to provide some exposition, could you explain how that impacts the destructive scale of items and equipment of the Terran military, such as their orbital satellites, aircraft, so on and so forth? 

Am I correct to assume that nothing breaks the glass ceiling of room destruction, or — ?

33 minutes ago, Roen said:

To be more specific, practical, and to provide some exposition, could you explain how that impacts the destructive scale of items and equipment of the Terran military, such as their orbital satellites, aircraft, so on and so forth? 

Am I correct to assume that nothing breaks the glass ceiling of room destruction, or — ?

It depends on who's controlling them. This is a limitation for the general populace. If you reference the canon defense team, you'll see that those players (and myself, above those players) have the ability to "interpret mild powers within reason": https://www.valucre.com/topic/35983-canon-defense-team/

I, and the canon defense team, have GM abilities over the whole of Terrenus that individual players who may be controlling military assets (such as regular members of the military acting in plots independently) or technology for their story purposes would not have

The cap is a general standard to provide a baseline. Storylines have exceeded the previous mild power cap of "building sized" destruction, as can be seen in the arc for the now ruined Biazo City

In regards to the canon defense team and to my understanding, they are restricted to the three bullet-point rules listed to justify intervention in threads, but also function autonomously and can enter threads arbitrarily, if they so choose, under their own interpretation. 

With that in mind, what incentive is there to contest Terran sovereignty through competitive Role Play while a group of people have access to resources and tech strictly prohibited to general population, who also possess GM authority? It would seem any success by an aggressor would be contingent on individual indulgence, which isn’t exactly success at all under the circumstance.

Mind, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does beg to ask if competitive Role Play, T1 itself, has grown obsolete in the face of greater necessity and desire for collaboration. I’ve seen this sentiment reflected throughout other boards, and see it rising in Terrenus.

I guess there is not much of a question here, but I’d like some thoughts on the matter.

30 minutes ago, Roen said:

In regards to the canon defense team and to my understanding, they are restricted to the three bullet-point rules listed to justify intervention in threads, but also function autonomously and can enter threads arbitrarily, if they so choose, under their own interpretation. 

With that in mind, what incentive is there to contest Terran sovereignty through competitive Role Play while a group of people have access to resources and tech strictly prohibited to general population, who also possess GM authority? It would seem any success by an aggressor would be contingent on individual indulgence, which isn’t exactly success at all under the circumstance.

Mind, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but it does beg to ask if competitive Role Play, T1 itself, has grown obsolete in the face of greater necessity and desire for collaboration. I’ve seen this sentiment reflected throughout other boards, and see it rising in Terrenus.

I guess there is not much of a question here, but I’d like some thoughts on the matter.

By design I try to incentivize collaborative role play over competitive roleplay (where competitive roleplay here means T1 per your definition). You can see this mind set of mine reflected in the fact that I stopped hosting and managing T1 tournaments myself, have implemented and currently use systems like TDS and MOBS to determine win conditions in Terrenus, and in Mild Powers have changed the default to MOBS from Chosen. If you want to use T1, it is up to you and the person you're fighting to agree upon it, any conditions or rules, any judges or further criteria, etc and so on. I stopped using it myself ages ago

That said, referring on your own experience when you mobilized to attack the land bridge, in the event of an agreed-upon competitive roleplay using something analogous to T1, I felt and would continue to feel comfortable meeting someone on the same terms and with the same power cap applying unilaterally. We even pared down to roughly the same number of troops. For another functional example the concept of orbital bombardment has always been a technical possibility but has only been used in the past several years in a single incident where someone more or less instantly ported a weaponized starship into Terran airspace

Edit - Since another member asked a question about forms of combat, it's worth reiterating here a line from the mild powers rule that I think shows the focus has always been on collaboration vs competition: "Combat is always optional and requires both declaration and consent. As long as it is stated and agreed upon by both players, any system can be used to resolve an in-character conflict. Examples of this include collaboration (staff recommended), coin flips, dice systems, and so on."

Edited by supernal

There are no incentives. The Canon defense team was originally intended to resolve issues in which a player strolls in wantonly kills everything in a display of absolute authority and total disregard.

In most instances where I've been involved it was to balance out one sided slaughters.

The underlying point of Canon Defense is maintaining lore integrity and giving Terrenus a fair shake. Rather than letting everyone portray it as a nation of incompetent Storm troopers.

The other issue that is frequently resolved, which relates to lore, is the difference between how players imagine Terrenus and what Terrenus is. A lot of people have applied high fantasy rules to Terrenus and assume that all guards are sword toating knights or archers and have nothing in terms of technology. 

Hopefully that clarifies the Canon defense aspect.

So after reading the laws of magic and looking at Bi'le'ah for a bit I have a bit of a hypothesis on why its all crazy. Basically there is a spell or enchantment all over the place, and through the Law of Chaos it has gone way past it's expiration date and is just making havoc everywhere. Now there's no conclusive proof on how long the energy source is gonna last (it would have to be pretty impressive to fuel something of that magnitude) so its safest to say it has access to some kind of renewable energy source that just won't quit. That leaves only two possibilities.

Either there is one massive spell that needs to be removed to stop all the craziness or there are multiple spells just going haywire. 

Would this be a fair hypothesis or am I just speaking nonsense out of pure boredom?

• Social impact: Ercaniron was first discovered in the Hidden Valley, and its presence is said to be one of the principal reasons that it is impossible to survey the valley through magical means. A large vein of it was later discovered in Yh'mi, and there are rumors that large deposits can be found in Bi'le'ah, though these rumors have yet to be validated

So yeah forget my earlier question this changes everything.

On 5/13/2018 at 5:32 PM, evil said:

Thoughts about Elven pseudo-supremacy in Genesaris?

None really

29 minutes ago, Grubbistch said:

With the decrease in the reliability of magically created energy sources, does that start to create a better market for non-renewable energy sources that would yield more energy than magic in its current state?

I haven't seen any such markets making themselves manifest. If you're saying you want to make or explore one then nothing stopping you from playing it out

Edited by supernal

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.