supernal

Terrenus AMA 2.0

1 minute ago, Die Shize said:

Got it. And I assume that "automated wagon" is just that: a wagon that can be driven in a similar way that a car can, maybe most closely compared with an original automobile?

Just want to get a clearer idea of what these contraptions are, and I can wing the rest as you're permitting. Forum searches led to Pasion's asking about it in the original Terrenus-AMA but there wasn't much expanded questioning.

On that note, I might try to site-search her IC and she if she might have detailed said wagon so I can inspire myself.

Correct

Essentially in the same way an “automobile” can range from an original ford to Tesla S, the same way an “airship” can range from dirigible to jet engine, an “automated wagon” is the top level / parent class of vehicle and you are responsible for the additional detail as to where in the spectrum that lies 

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Correct

Essentially in the same way an “automobile” can range from an original ford to Tesla S, the same way an “airship” can range from dirigible to jet engine, an “automated wagon” is the top level / parent class of vehicle and you are responsible for the additional detail as to where in the spectrum that lies 

Excellent.

Also, I knew I remembered an image somewhere!

Casper

Spoiler

bJKgPCc.jpg?1

(helps me if no one else)

6 minutes ago, Flame Hero: Endeavor said:

Where can I find sentient dragons (not the rider ones)? Am I allowed to steal a dragon egg? 

Where can I find cats? 

What drugs are legal in Terrenus? 

1. If it isn't in the creature codex then you're making it up. Stealing a dragon egg sounds illegal so I'll say it's illegal 

2. Anywhere it makes sense to find them in terms of climate I guess. Probably not underwater unless there's some kind of underwater cat you want to make up

3. That's a complex answer that varies on things like where you are (cities or wilds), who you are (which cultures you belong to, what fantasy race your character may be), if it's medicinal or recreational, etc. I don't really feel like coming up with a list to account for all the potential complexity so I'll say use your own country as a guideline. Things like caffeine and tobacco and alcohol are probably fine most of the time and things like heroin and crystal meth probably aren't most of the time; mix and match for all the potential fantasy drugs you can make up for yourself

The outcome of this sounds serious.

I'm guessing that this is what is mentioned in the lore page of Last chance, in a few lines about a beach battle taking place?

Spoiler

News

A brief but intense skirmish took place on the southern beach of Last Chance which saw thousands of criminals and hundreds of soldiers dead, basic weapons strewn all about the sand and shallow ocean water, and put the citizens of both halves of Last Chance on edge. 

I didn't read the roleplay itself (probably won't honestly but wow what a wrap, dang) but I imagine that the city is still 'suffering' from this raid? The people, the infrastructure, maybe the economy, some other elements? To this or that degree?

We've talked before about how, ehhh, shall we say thoughtful I can be on factoring details in...buuuut it's just that this raid sounds serious and I want to make sure that I'm not totally ignoring any obvious after effects about half an OOC (IC?) year from then that, well, might be serious after effects!

If you guessed that this is to do with my quest, you guessed right, and I plan on it being present day.

Italics!

The battles were mostly taken away from civilians - the most intense fighting were on the beach and in the prison. If I don’t remember wrongly, there were some peripheral damage to civilians, and some destruction in the market, but those areas didn’t suffer major damage. Injuries and deaths were mostly limited to military/security persons and the invading forces. For the civilians it was likely mostly psychological damage, especially family of the affected Last Chance security forces.

The prison infrastructure was decimated, mostly.

Ah, that had been fun 😛

Edited by jaistlyn

1 hour ago, jaistlyn said:

The battles were mostly taken away from civilians - the most intense fighting were on the beach and in the prison. If I don’t remember wrongly, there were some peripheral damage to civilians, and some destruction in the market, but those areas didn’t suffer major damage. Injuries and deaths were mostly limited to military/security persons and the invading forces. For the civilians it was likely mostly psychological damage, especially family of the affected Last Chance security forces.

The prison infrastructure was decimated, mostly.

Ah, that had been fun 😛

So where are the prisoners now lol? I imagine that Last Chance is still keeping jails!?

1 hour ago, jaistlyn said:

Some of them were freed by LoD and went with them (including Djinn’s worm guy), and I would suppose the rest were moved to another jail? Not too sure about that detail.

Wayl, unless an official response declares something...official...then I'll interpret it as one of those "details" that probably doesn't have a big enough lore/actuality impact to mean much.

I mean, unless Last Chance is back to being overrun by criminals, and I'm quite sure that it is not, then I reckon that it's still got a prison or two or three or four to house inmates.

oh and uh THANKS MA'AM 'PRECIATCHA AND ALL YER HELP HOPE TA SEE YA ROUND DESE PARTS WUNNA DESE DAYS HAVE A GUDDUN NOW YA'LL COME BACK NOW YA HEAR!?

Edited by Die Shize

13 hours ago, Die Shize said:

The outcome of this sounds serious.

I'm guessing that this is what is mentioned in the lore page of Last chance, in a few lines about a beach battle taking place?

Reveal hidden contents

I didn't read the roleplay itself (probably won't honestly but wow what a wrap, dang) but I imagine that the city is still 'suffering' from this raid? The people, the infrastructure, maybe the economy, some other elements? To this or that degree?

We've talked before about how, ehhh, shall we say thoughtful I can be on factoring details in...buuuut it's just that this raid sounds serious and I want to make sure that I'm not totally ignoring any obvious after effects about half an OOC (IC?) year from then that, well, might be serious after effects!

If you guessed that this is to do with my quest, you guessed right, and I plan on it being present day.

Italics!

1) The last post of the roleplay thread provides a long and short summary so you can get a good idea of what happened, and who did what, without having to read the roleplay itself 

2) From the canon update thread: https://www.valucre.com/topic/40460-updates-canon-and-general/

Without quoting the whole paragraph, the relevant portion is: "So if things get blown up (or burned down, or infested with a zombie virus), anticipate that they'll get fixed even if players don't actively roleplay this. 1 month (OOC or IC) is the average repair time."

3) This is especially relevant since we now have a (relatively new) timekeeping mechanism that dictates a new calendar year around June. So if you were making a thread in "present time", 5 months later, you can anticipate that most of the damage (which as jaistlyn pointed out was kept outside of the city / civilian life itself) has been mitigated or repaired. There's likely (as jaistlyn said; I should come up with an acronym for this) enduring psychological damage from people whose relations did die or who were close to the "war zone"

Given the type (civilian) and number (I can't recall but it may be in the summary; it wasn't a huge fleet or anything) there's some nuanced detail here that is relevant. Like it could be that they took a dozen and a few are from a mom and pop shop that now has to declare bankruptcy. It could be that they were all from some large merchant company that is now having to invest in making new ships which brings down their profit margins and means they are no longer dominant in the sector. etc etc etc. Those are all the things which I leave to players to explore basically, beyond the fact that Z happened to X of Y (or some sort of algebra). It wouldn't be deeply affecting the overall megacity's economic health though

4) Because we have a timekeeping mechanism in place you can also fluidly place your storyline inside of any point of the timeline. So if you don't place it in present time, and instead place it directly after the raid, then the circumstances will be entirely different and that's a totally valid option for you as a player 

5) Last Chance still has jails. You can think (I think) of Last Chance as a sort of fantasy Detroit. It's still a (mega) city. It still has people, law enforcement, civil services, and so on, it just also has a considerably-above-average crime rate. So Last Chance still has many jails. The prison infrastructure which was decimated here was for one of those jails

Here is the relevant snippet from the lore page: "With Terrenus penology skewing towards rehabilitation rather than deterrence or retribution and treating most criminal offenses as mental health issues, the megacities also have a larger distribution of minimum security prisons for non-violent offenders. Minimum security prisons populate the city at the ratio of 1:15 compared to libraries, hospitals, and schools."

So they should have multiple jails of varying security levels and believe the raid only affected one maximum security jail for a prison break arc. If all the jails were messed up (which I don't believe is the case) they would likely be held underground via geomancy until the jails were rebuilt

Edited by supernal

38 minutes ago, Flame Hero: Endeavor said:

Asking here since is probably a better place to ask.

I was thinking Arashi could be some sort of military-funded experiment by the Terran military or something along those lines. Wanted to ask if that was a possibility

I've given this some thought and am going to have to pass on it. But I know that @The Alexandrian's paramilitary character is also involved in genetic / biological experimentation, this might be a match made in heaven, if you don't want to make up some readymade corp for reference 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.