supernal

Terrenus AMA 2.0

18 minutes ago, supernal said:

Auranite is a crystal. It’s hardness / durability is measured on the Mohs scale and, depending on flaws, around the same hardness as a ruby or diamond. It has high hardness but low toughness. It isn’t shatter proof and can be shattered with a hammer (not recommended)  

As to whether it can withstand a bullet or a bash will depend a lot on how the particular thing you’re smashing is structured and how thick the material but generally speaking that should give you an idea of what you’re working with 

So, as an addition to that earlier question, can Auranite be melted down and blended into an alloy with another material, like Uru for example? Obviously it'd probably be a long, difficult process with those two particular materials, but I'm sure someone, somewhere would be able to do it, providing it is possible and Auranite doesn't just explode when you try to combine it with other elements.

4 minutes ago, Tyler said:

So, as an addition to that earlier question, can Auranite be melted down and blended into an alloy with another material, like Uru for example? Obviously it'd probably be a long, difficult process with those two particular materials, but I'm sure someone, somewhere would be able to do it, providing it is possible and Auranite doesn't just explode when you try to combine it with other elements.

I’m not a <whatever you need to be to answer this question with confidence>, but a quick search revealed a concept known as a metal matrix composite, with this example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymalloy

With that as a viable proof of concept and the condition that it isn’t something easily or casually accomplished, I’m fine with the idea of auranite being used in an MMC. I’d also say that it would have to be <100, maybe even <90, energy saturation for the crystal if you want it to be stable enough to work over like that 

Edited by supernal

7 minutes ago, supernal said:

I’d also say that it would have to be <100, maybe even <90, energy saturation for the crystal if you want it to be stable enough to work over like that

You're meaning that less than 100%/90% of the of the crystal absorbed magic energy at the time of smithing, right? (sorry, probably a dumb question, but I wasn't entirely sure what you meant there)

Just now, Tyler said:

You're meaning that less than 100%/90% of the of the crystal absorbed magic energy at the time of smithing, right? (sorry, probably a dumb question, but I wasn't entirely sure what you meant there)

Correct. At max or near max capacity it’ll be too unstable to smith, essentially 

1 minute ago, supernal said:

Correct. At max or near max capacity it’ll be too unstable to smith, essentially 

Gotcha. The smithing will be done off-screen, but I imagine the crystals wouldn't be near that level of capacity when the process begins.

Not lore-related, but I hope this is the appropriate place to ask: how'd you do the formatting of the location links on the Terrenus Landing Page? The list of location links are laid out in multiple columns but they adjust depending on the screen width, and I can't figure out how to do it so far with tables.

On 12/9/2018 at 11:30 AM, Csl said:

Not lore-related, but I hope this is the appropriate place to ask: how'd you do the formatting of the location links on the Terrenus Landing Page? The list of location links are laid out in multiple columns but they adjust depending on the screen width, and I can't figure out how to do it so far with tables.

Close enough! 

So I actually didn’t do the table formatting. @desolate did so I’ll tag him to see if he can help out.

Are you able to just copy my table and keep that formatting?

I believe King was able to do it or close enough by using google sheets perhaps 

17 hours ago, supernal said:

Close enough! 

So I actually didn’t do the table formatting. @desolate did so I’ll tag him to see if he can help out.

Are you able to just copy my table and keep that formatting?

I believe King was able to do it or close enough by using google sheets perhaps 

I tried copy-pasting it but it just came out as a regular center-aligned list 😕

Terrenus' location link list (that alliteration lol) appears to be five columns on my laptop and one column when viewed on mobile. Genesaris' location link list uses an RTF tables, similar to the what I use for the Veluriyam Empire article, but on mobile the tables keep their column number and squish the text into very hard to read lines.

I'll wait for desolate's explanation though, thanks for the tag!

So, I just experienced something that may be relevant. I've been using an HTML-based table that I copy and past from a google document, into an HTML viewer, then onto Val from there. Generally it always came out fine, but I always used only Firefox for it all. Due to some circumstances on my work computer, I recently tried it on Chrome, and it did not work correctly. So I went back and did it again in all Firefox, and it went back to working just fine.

(For reference, look at the first page (Chrome) and the second page (Firefox) of this thread.)

I don't know if this will be relevant to @Csl's inquiry, but maybe browsers might be affecting things too?

@Csl do you know any html? They aren't really tables, each of the columns are <div class="section"> s. If you know html, you can right-click on the editor, go to Inspect, and then edit the html. Otherwise, Tyler is right, Firefox's copy-pasting works if you copy the Terrenus list. If you need more columns etc, I could possibly help you to create the skeleton to work off from.

8 hours ago, Tyler said:

So, I just experienced something that may be relevant. I've been using an HTML-based table that I copy and past from a google document, into an HTML viewer, then onto Val from there. Generally it always came out fine, but I always used only Firefox for it all. Due to some circumstances on my work computer, I recently tried it on Chrome, and it did not work correctly. So I went back and did it again in all Firefox, and it went back to working just fine.

(For reference, look at the first page (Chrome) and the second page (Firefox) of this thread.)

I don't know if this will be relevant to @Csl's inquiry, but maybe browsers might be affecting things too?

Hmm. I use chrome, but I'll try to use firefox to copy-paste the table. Thanks!

7 hours ago, jaistlyn said:

@Csl do you know any html? They aren't really tables, each of the columns are <div class="section"> s. If you know html, you can right-click on the editor, go to Inspect, and then edit the html. Otherwise, Tyler is right, Firefox's copy-pasting works if you copy the Terrenus list. If you need more columns etc, I could possibly help you to create the skeleton to work off from.

I do, actually 😄 I'll go ahead and try this. Thanks jaistlyn! ❤

8 minutes ago, Grubbistch said:

If technology in Terrenus is to the point of having computer technology, then would it be possible for someone to run a story doing something like trying to start up a business centered around an app or program one can use for their computing device? 

Absolutely. And I’d love to see something like that honestly. Just make sure that it solves a specific problem rather than being a panacea answer for any and everything 

Yeah I've been thinking the same thing. Medieval fantasy only satisfies for so long before you just want to do something more modern fantasy. I was thinking something like a budgeting application using artificial intelligence to help organize finances and find you good deals in local businesses and such. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.