supernal

Terrenus / Fracture AMA 2.0

47 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

Where can I learn more about shifting loci and amnesia mists?

All of that and more are tracked in the canon update thread. Given the short summary nature of it you can probably work through all the existing canon update thread to log items of interest in less than half an hour. There was a previous canon thread too so depending how old the events it may require a little more back tracking 

Regards to the events you’ve mentioned in specific a lot of them I’ve personally managed and have tracked in the last post of my database thread. So this can be a little shortcut 

Also the news from the symposium on page 2 of the roleplay news board goes into more detail on the enrele and loci front 

If someone were to put forth plausible theories of magic to be considered as possible canonized content on a national level, how would they officially do this in character (who would they present the ideas to, what sort of trials would the theory need to undergo, how radical could the idea be if it held firmly to the Laws of Magic, how contrary to other theories could it be while remaining true to the actual laws.)

What would you expect of the content creator other than following the guidelines for canonized content creation (and even in this case, what extra information would you expect?)

Does the shifting of power scaling between the Shawnee region and the rest of (as of now) Fracture affect the capacity and output of Industrial Magitech in the same way that it does with "character" power scaling (ex. would a generator that creates electricity be dampened to a lesser state outside Shawnee, and if so would the capacity be less, the output maximum be less, possibly both (would it be harder to power it to it's max, could it exceed a limited output by combining it with another source) even though it's more of a magic machine than a spell of sorts.)

Does the shift in the arcanosphere influence the ecosystem (Changes in wildlife, flora, perhaps climate changes or the like.) and would it cause shifts in the power scale of things already influenced by the arcane (like Espers, Golems, Undead or the like?)

Who's they? They could present it to a research center. The specifics of the institute and the trials they run would be the legwork of the content creator.

Ideally, the theory would be explained to us beforehand or posted in User Lore, and we could talk about it in a concrete way. It's hard to pin down what might be too radical or contrary about a nebulous topic.

The power scaling primarily effects individuals. Industries operate at a level of complexity and economy of scale that they have access to methods that an individual wouldn't. Machines also have higher tolerance levels, whereas individuals melt or go mad. An airship won't fall out of the sky, but a wizard isn't levitating 100 people either, regardless of whether it's a robot wizard or a zombie wizard.

There are always effects on the ecosystem when a natural resource increases in scarcity. Players can encounter these effects without needing a list of possibilities. We aren't going to write specifics, such as the change in water surface temperature in the wetlands leading to a decline in a particular species of beetle that resulted in new migration patterns of an avian predator, therefore. . . Nah.

I’d like to add to desolate’s great reply and say that the IC will likely parallel the real world like something being a hypothesis and being subjected to peer review, but that unlike some other things on the site the OOC mechanic won’t be automatic. That’s to say that there’s no “do x and y and you get z” type of workflow for additions to magical laws. You can introduce whatever you’d like as a hypothesis for story’s sake but for a blanket law it would require that me and desolate approve the law ooc first and foremost. And while open to getting suggestions down this vein I’ll say upfront, so there’s no misleading expectations, that we’re more likely to reject than approve additional laws unless we feel there’s real value to adding it 

Snippets of a PM convo with Voldemort on converting an out-of-site character to a Fracture native. Quotes are modified for brevity:

1 hour ago, Voldemort said:

Essentially, there’s aspects of the character I’d like to keep, and would like your input to see if we could make it somehow fit in Fracture. 

1. Arthur is from a culture of warrior mages who travel about forming “Bonds” with would-be employers. A Bond is basically a magical contract that enforces the terms of a job on both ends. Anyways, Arthur is an outcast from this society, but I still need to know where I could place them geographically. Originally, I had them living in a mountainous region. I was thinking maybe somewhere in the Blaurg mountains since it’s near enough to Blairville. Your input would be greatly appreciated.

2. Arthur is a jaded war veteran in his mid thirties. He became an outcast from his culture after a Contract that involved a full-scale war. I was wondering if there were any wars 10-15 years in the past that Arthur could be a veteran of. He definitely doesn’t have to be an important figure in said war effort. After all, I’m far removed from storylines like that. But just a historical event where I can say, my character was there and he did stuff. 

3. After the war, Arthur began his studies at a university. Though while completing his post-graduate studies (thesis, etc), he acquired a mysterious medium (basically Lovecrafty stuff) and used it in experiments on himself. This act places a monstrous curse on Arthur which he’s able to stop from totally taking over his body, but not before it irreversibly changed him. In short, playing with bad juju gets him expelled. I was wondering what University would be best, since Arthur was basically in a multi-disciplinary program for wizards. And I was also wondering what would the implications of being expelled and being caught with esoteric magic would be?

1 hour ago, supernal said:

1) Blaurg mountain / the ouread are a perfect pick for what you've got in mind. Blairville is a magical locus for the continent and can be used as a handy rationalization for all sorts of stuff. It makes sense. If you wanted to push on this a little bit I'd say consider the wastelands, pre-glacier. There are mountains ou in that desert too. Shawnee was a wealth of concentrated magic and I could see a tribe or society forming along its ridge. Dead Peaks was a notorious magical dead zone so I could see the same forming along its fringes, maybe using contracts as a more reliable / costly form of magic given the conditions. Just a few more options to consider there

2) There are a few large scale events that happened in that time span that could explain a conflict he was involved in - most notably the cold snap, and the maddening mists events. As far as proper wars go two big ones are the Terrenus v. Genesaris conflict prior to the nations reaching an armistice (I got tired of massive scale wars being the perpetually central conflict, esp. as the forum grew) and the Siren Menace, fighting some kind of magic-work gestalt underwater sirens (the person that made them made them a bit of a mess) that wanted to overtake the nation. There was also the crusades near / at 0 AO, which is outside of your target time range but may make for an interesting note regardless. And of course there's the countless mid-scale conflicts of all the crazy cults and mad scientists and revolts here and there. I can go into more detail in the one that interests you most

3) Gaian Academy. You can find the link to it on the landing page. It started off as just a place to teach Gaian clergy about general magic but it's now a renowned research university, so you can imagine it going through several iterations to get to that point and Arthur fitting himself into one of those stages as his history dictates. As far being caught with, instead of esoteric we'll say illegal since that makes answering easier, magic then it depends on what he's doing with it but I think the Safeguard act should give you a pretty good idea. You can find this on the landing page too with a CTRL + F. I can link you to it if you'd like but am hoping I've laid everything out so as to make it easy to find if someone points the way

From a PM

7 minutes ago, Meraxa said:

On a similar note actually, since this would overlap into your territory of things, but how would you say the Gaian Faith/Terrenus/Fracture at large have dealt with the existence of beings like the gods of Renovatio on like, a theological level? Do they regard them as 'gods' for their people but not true gods as Gaianism defines such? Do they think such 'gods' are demons playing pretend? Or is there a potentially more complex answer?

4 minutes ago, supernal said:

Essentially henotheism. A recognition of a physically incarnate being or its avatar capable of wielding beyond mortal abilities, perhaps even worthy of respect, but not of worship. The “one true god” is Gaia (life), even tho there are at least two other beings on a similar level of existence (space and time). That’s for the Gaian faithful 

Citizens of the continent may hold this view and / or become converts and / or hold alternate religious views (per bar chart I put up a short while ago) 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.