Valucre
  • Announcements

• Paroxysm

Contact between members and staff   04/20/2018

Valucre.com and Valucre’s official email address (Valucre@gmail.com) are to be considered the only credible contact between members and staff. If you are contacted by someone, or a group of someones, dubiously representing themselves as staff outside of Valucre.com, you should private message @supernal and @desolate. Additionally, if your account is to receive administrative action, or you are the subject of a report, staff will contact you through forum, email, or through the forum's warning system, not off site services such as Discord or Skype.
HotPizza

It Came From Outer Space! [Quest Complete]

[offtopic]This is literally a thread that involves the pest extermination of an (alleged) extraterrestrial hamster of unusual size. While the concept is both silly and almost to ridiculous to be true, the creature is apparently very real and has already caused significant injuries- it's best to get this thing rid of before it causes more harm, particularly irreparable harm.[/offtopic]

Note from the Tavern Caretaker

[Note]As this is a level 0 quest, it has a requirement for 10 posts, with an additional two posts required for a fourth member.  As a level 0 quest, this has the standard Tavern of Legend word minimum (20). This is not an overly challenging quest.[/Note]

The path to the farm is as described by the farmer. Reaching the farm is easy enough, and the stroll through the country side rather nice even. Once you arrive at the farm in question, you find yourself greeted by an odd musky odor that is not quite like anything you have encountered before. After just a little poking around, you can uncover the location of the hamster with ease- it is sitting the middle of a corn field, eating entire corn stalks and not yet ready ears of corn. The damn thing really is the size of a grizzly bear. To be honest, it's still absolutely adorable, but those teeth are scary...

Credits to Acies

The farm might be a way off from the Tavern of Legend, but it was not that far away from the famous Tavern. Besides, Farmer Bill had described the easiest route to his own farm. Which meant that Haru had no reason to take as long as she had done. Especially for a wannabe adventurer like her, who sought and would eventually have to wander the world, and in the process travel great distances in effcient ways.

And yet...

"Well, here we are now!" Haru exclaims as soon as the farm came into view.

"About time already!" scolded Tachi.

"What do you mean? I couldn't have arrived any earlier."

"Yes, you could. You slowed down to admire the scenery of the countryside."

"I appreciate the beauty of nature!"

"And many times you stopped the cats, dogs, horses, deer-"

"Give me a break! You know I love animals!"

"Which would be much less of a problem, if you weren't on your way to help a poor farmer with his-"

That was when the strench hit them.

Edited by HotPizza

"Argh!" Haru flinches in disgust. "What is that smell?"

Tachi, however, was not quite as disgusted. He poke his nose in the air and sniffs around himself, all mouse like. "It's... a unique one. Somewhere between a hamster and a gerbil, but obviously not either."

"A hamster and a gerbil, huh? This smell must be coming from the giant space hamster that Farmer Bill was talking about, then." Haru thinks. "Well, if I'm going to fight a big smelly monster that probably has never taken a bath in its life, I need to be prepared."

Haru digs into one of the leather pouchs on her belt. From the pouch, she takes out a cotton handkerchief, one that is a plain green. She wraps the handkerchief around her nose, pulls it behind her ears, and ties the corners up at the back of her head.

"Breathing might be a bit harder with this, but it beats having to take in a horrible smell that will only get stronger the closer I am to that hamster."

Tachi shrugs. "I'm fine with it myself."

"To each their own. I had better get going." With that, Haru heads down to the corn field.

Edited by HotPizza

"What are these crops?" Haru asks as she heads into the vast corn field. "I don't think I have seen any fruit or vegetable like it before."

"It's corn, Haru." Tachi answers. "Speaking of which, I haven't been in a corn field for quite some time." As Haru approaches one of the many corn plants in the field, he pokes his mousey nose up in the air and sniffs a few times. "The corn here sure smells sweet, and..." he sniffs some more. "Delicious
..."

Haru passes by a corn plant with a particularly large corn, ripe for the eating. As she does so, Tachi turns his head around to face it, his little nose wriggling. The next thing Haru knew, Tachi had taken a big leap off her left shoulder, and landed on the ripe corn he was eyeing.

The plant bends and sways under the force of a mouse, even a small one, suddenly landing on its corn. Once it stopped swaying so much, Tachi begins nibbling away at its kernals.

"Mmmm, glad to eat some good raw corn after a long while."

Haru turns around and laughs as he ate with gusto. "That good? No wonder the giant hamster landed from space, to feast on the corn here."

Tachi stops shovelling corn kernals in his mouth. "Mmh mmm mmf mmhm!" He swallows the corn already in his mouth. "Oh right, the giant hamster eating the crops here! Better get back to work." With that, he hops back on Haru's shoulder.

"And you scolded me for stopping to pet the cats," Haru teased, and they continued their search for the hamster.

Sure enough, they found signs of the giant monster.

Haru comes to a thoroughly destroyed part of the field. Here, the soil is bare of any plants, let alone corn stalks. Instead, crushed corn cobs of a variety if sizes and ripeness lie along the soil, bare of any corn kernals. The soil itself is riddled with empty holes, and loose bits of dirt around each hole.

"Tachi," Haru asks. "What do you suppose those holes are?"

Tachi hops off Haru's shoulder onto the ground, and examines the holes. "Looks like entire stalks got yanked right out of the soil." Tachi hops back onto Haru, lwaving dirty paw prints on her yukata. "This must be one hungry hamster, to eat even the unripe corn... and entire corn stalks."

"I had better get ready, then." Haru flicks her right wrist, causing a calligraphy brush to slide out of her long sleeve and into her right hand. With a quick swipe, she drenches her brush in an ink pot she had hung on her belt.

She first tests out her brush, by painting a squiggle in the air in front of her. The ink from her brush suspends mid-air for a moment. The ink then disappates into the air.

Satisfied, Haru then holds out her left hand, and uses her brush to paint a circle of ink around her left hand. 

As soon as the circle is complete, the circle of ink suspending mid-air around her hand turns into a large, round wooden shield.

Holding tightly onto her shield, Haru cautiously walks forward, her shoes stepping in between crushed corn cobs.

Edited by HotPizza

As Haru walks on, she starts to hear rustling sounds, followed by loud chomping and chewing.

"We must be really close now." Tachi has dropped his voice into a whisper. "Walk slowly. Try to be quiet, and sneaky."

Haru turns her head around to glare at Tachi, as if he was out of his mind. Before she could open her mouth, however, Tachi speaks up again.

"I know, I know. You don't think you're the sneaky type. But you have been sneaky before. It is why you're free to do what you want now, right? I'm sure you can do it again." 

Haru's face relaxes as she nods. She starts to walk forward slowly, as her wooden sandals make only minimal noise against the soil beneath. Most of the noise she makes are drowned out by the giant hamster, which is making no effort to be quiet.

The path of bare soil and broken corn cobs turns to the left. As soon as Haru makes the same turn, she comes to face a huge, curled-up lump of matted brown fur. It is tearing up entire corn stalks, and shoving them down its curently hidden mouth.

"The hamster has yet to notice us. If you can sneak up a bit further, you could get the first strike on i-"

Unfortunately, Haru steps on a half-broken corn cob, breaking it fully and making a sharp SNAP! sound. The giant hamster's ear twitches, and turns around to face Haru.

Edited by HotPizza

Haru find herself face-to-face with the giant hamster. Its face is badly distorted, most recognisable as a monstrous version of a hamster. It eyes, small and beady compared to the rest of its body, are bloodshot. Its mouth dirty with bits of corn stalks and full of crushed corn cobs. Its whole body heaves with every breath.

It opens its mouth fully, exposing its huge sharp and dirty yellow teeth, and lets out a huge roar in Haru's direction. The roar is loud enough to knock Haru off her feet and onto the soil beneath her, while chewed-up corn stalks and crushed pieces of corn cobs fly from the hamster's mouth to pelt Haru.

All of that, plus the horrendous smell coming from the rodent's mouth that a mere handkerchief could not handle, are enough to make Haru daze. Not a good thing to happen to her, especially at the moment when there is a really angry giant hamster that has no concept of holding back, right in front of her.

"Haru, Haru? Are you okay?" Tachi shouts at Haru, as he grabs her cheek and starts shaking rapidly. Tachi is but a small and weak mouse, with little in the way of pretty much anything that could help with what amounted to an angry monster.

Meanwhile, the hamster crouches down low, its body almost flat against the soil. If Haru weren't dazed, she would have felt the intense stare of its bloodshot eyes.

"Haru, Haru! Hurry up, it's about to atta-"

It made a leap into the air, diving straight for Haru.

Edited by HotPizza

"HARU!"

With Tachi's final shout, Haru is suddenly taken out of her daze. Right away, she sees the hamster's sharp teeth heading directly for her. With little time to spare, she quickly raises her large wooden shield in front of her. It was not a moment too soon, as the hamster crashed its head against the very shield that Haru had raised only a split second ago.

The force of a giant hamster the size and weight of a grizzly bear, slamming onto a small and young woman, caused both of them to barrrel down the bare soil. Two long lines were carved in the loose soil as Haru was forced across the field. 

When Haru and the hamster finally slide to a stop, the latter begins to rear up and prepare for another vicious attack. However, Haru is now prepared. When the hamster bares its sharp teeth and tries to strike Haru's head with its own, she rams the side of her heavy round shield right into the hamster's right cheek.

Taken by surprise, the hamster screeches loudly in pain and falls back on its hind legs. Knowing that she must seize this brief moment of opportunity, Haru immediately gets back up on her two feet and dashes out of harm's way. She runs towards the rest of the corn fields, where the corn stalks are still standing up, and in a rustle disappears among the tall plants. By the time the giant hamster recovers from Haru's shield bash, she is well hidden in the field.

While the hamster might have had its jaw dislocated, it is still very much alive. Haru has to deal with it properly.

Edited by HotPizza

As Haru walks on, she starts to hear rustling sounds, followed by loud chomping and chewing.

"We must be really close now." Tachi has dropped his voice into a whisper. "Walk slowly. Try to be quiet, and sneaky."

Haru turns around to glare at Tachi, like he was out of his mind.

"I know, I know. You don't think you're the sneaky type. But you have been sneaky before. It's why you're free to dp what you want npw, right? I'm sure you can do it again."

Haru pants heavily as she continues to run through the field, the tall corn stalks providing some cover from the angry giant hamster. However, these corn plants also block Haru's view of the hamster. 

"Haru, I don't think we can hide from that monster for long." Even as Tachi speaks, Haru's speed means he has to cling onto her shoulder for his dear life.

"After a while, it's gonna notice a bunch of rustling corn plants, and then it'll attack."  Tachi dodges a corn stalk that nearly knocked him off Haru. "What are you planning to do now?"

"Can't," Haru manages to gasp as she puts all her energy into running at full speed. She barely has any spare breath. "Talk."

"Oops, sorry. I feel we should-" Tachi cuts himself off. Was that a glimpse of a large silhouette among the corn stalks? It flits here and there, it's hard to tell. 

"Oh no, I think I see the hamster coming from the... the right!" He looks around in panic, knowing that Haru can't afford to do it herself while running at full speed. "Behind you! Wait no, in front of y- WATCH OUT!"

Out of the corn stalks, the giant hamster has once again taken a leap at Haru.

Edited by HotPizza

Due to Tachi's warning, Haru raises her wooden shield against the hamster. This time, the rodent had taken a somewhat unexpected direction. Its huge body slams through the right edge of her shield, splintering off a good chunk of wood.

The hamster lands behind Haru, its right cheek now riddled with spinters. Haru turns around to defend herself, but could only turn halfway before the hamster. It immediately launched another attack at Haru, its mouth wide open. As it flew past Haru, its teeth cut through her yukata, and tore through the skin of her right shoulder. 

Haru let out a scream as the monster's huge sharp teeth left a long, bleeding wound on her arm. Meanwhile, the hamster had flown through the air, and back onto the large patch of bare soil that's devoid of all plants.

"Owww..." Haru turned her head to examine her own wound. Tachi scrambled to take a look as well. 

"It's okay, Haru. It looks bad, but you'll be fine," Tachi assures her.

"Thanks, Tachi. Honestly, I should've expected to get hurt in a fight." Haru looks over to the hamster, not too far away. The giant ball of fur was standing still, catching its breath.

Haru raises her brush, wincing against the sharp pain caused by her.

"Haru, slow down, you're hurt."

"No, no. I'm making my move while that monster's down."

Edited by HotPizza

In one smooth stroke, Haru draws a straight line of ink in the air. The line immediately turns into a gleaming sword that floats in the air. 

With her right hand, Haru lightly gestures towards the hamster, and the sword follows her subtle instruction. It flies up to the rodent, and then makes a large sweeping strike along the hamster's huge rear end.

A loud, high-pitched scream rang through the field as the hamster rolled onto its back, taken both by surprise and by pain. 

"Nice! Good job, HaruuuuuuUUUU!" Once again, Tachi finds himself clinging onto Haru's left shoulder for his life, as Haru dashes at the hamster at full speed. She runs past the corn plants, and back onto the patch of bare soil. 

Haru focuses on the giant rodent, currently a ball of fur that's writhing in pain. While running towards it, she swings her round shield backwards to gain momentum. As soon as she's in range, she begins pummeling the monster before her with all that she's got. A ram into its left shoulder, dislocating its joint. A slam into its right cheek, breaking its jaw even more. With every bash, more and more wooden splinters bury themselves in the monster's skin.

Before long, the monster lets out one final scream. It then flops onto the soil, motionless.

Panting heavily, Haru sticks her shield in the soil and rests on it. Tachi, who had let go of Haru just before she started beating up the monster, slowly walked on the soil and towards Haru.

"Woah. You were... brutal."

"So was-" Haru stops to catch her breath. She pants for a while, before taking in a deep breath and letting it out. "So was the monster."

"You have a point." Tachi cautiously approaches the body of the monster, and examines it for signs of life. "It's fully dead, Haru. Wanna do the thing?"

"Sure." Having finished catching her breath, Haru gets her shield off the ground and walks to the monster's body. With her brush, she paints a square on the monster's fur, and fills it in neatly. Upon lifting her brush, small pink flowers sprout upon the square, then spread across the entire body. A flurry of pink petals float into the air, leaving behind thin air where the body was just now.

"It's done," Haru announces. Tachi hops back onto her shoulder as she turns around to leave. "I'm sure Farmer Bill will be glad to hear his crops and farmhands are safe from the monster now."

Edited by HotPizza

Indeed, Farmer Bill is mighty pleased by the development.

"Ah, thanks so much! Now I can get back to tending my crops without having to worry about oversized varmints trying to take off my limbs."

The excitable farmer enthusiastically shakes Haru's hand, professing many more thanks.

"Ah, 'fore I ferget, here's the promised seeds. They're interesting, but no use for a simple man like me. Perhaps they'll be of more use to an advenchurin type like yerself."

Bill hands over the pouch of offered seeds, adding a quick warning, "Be sure to keep those dry now. I accidentally dropped one in my outhouse, and I still have to pee around the weeds, ha!"

Reward: The farmers got this weird batch of seeds that, when wetted and tossed onto the ground, instantly spring up with a thick, difficult-to-manage burst of foliage. They only have enough to give each person a one-time use, which will cause plants to sprout and spread in a 10' radius. It is not impossible to get out of it, but it will slow enemies down significantly

Quest Complete, Thread Closed.