Tyler

Intimidation Game (OOC)

Okay, so this will be our OOC chat area for Mission 2. I will work on starting the RP itself once I have OOC chats for both missions up. Here's our cast for this one (this doubles as our posting order):

1. @Tyler as The Man in the Suit/GM/Narrator/NPCs
  2. @LightningBolt as Dahlia Gloomwood
  3. @Seraphina Jeanne as Hyeok Kyoungjong
  4. @Abigail666 as Persephone
  5. @PandaHat as Gisela Valance

If any of you have some questions, please ask so I can answer them!

Also, in case I don't do a good enough job of explaining it in the opening post, I imagine all of your characters were recruited as they were passing through towns or villages in the relative vicinity of Norkotia. So places like Hell's Gate, Langley Keep, maybe Blairville, and any number of unnamed towns in-between them all. If you guys are curious where Norkotia is on the map, it's situated on Sidereal Lake in Terrenus.

Edited by Tyler

I'd like to raise a question concerning Norkatia. As mentioned, magic isn't really abundant in the area and we'll only be able to use 25% of our character's magic. How about if we use magic to enhance weapons? Will the effects be weakened as well? How about using different things such as different substances that might boost one's magic? Will those be in full effect or still only 25%?

23 minutes ago, LightningBolt said:

I'd like to raise a question concerning Norkatia. As mentioned, magic isn't really abundant in the area and we'll only be able to use 25% of our character's magic. How about if we use magic to enhance weapons? Will the effects be weakened as well? How about using different things such as different substances that might boost one's magic? Will those be in full effect or still only 25%?

That is an excellent question! In a general sense, I imagine that within Norkotia (and it gets stronger the closer you get to the main city itself), all magic is essentially dampened. So not only is the ambient magic that can be drawn upon lessened, but also the general potency is weakened. So your magic sword is only going to be about 25% as powerful in its attacks, and if it has to regenerate from ambient magic, that's going to happen at only a 25% of normal rate. Likewise, if you drink some sort of magic potion, it will only function at about 25% capacity.

That said, I tend to imagine it's almost as if there there's a sort of invisible energy field around Norkotia, fading out the further you get into the outskirts. So for the sake of this RP, it might be closer to 30 - 40% capacity, since you all will be operating further from the city center.

Does that answer your question?

14 minutes ago, Tyler said:

That is an excellent question! In a general sense, I imagine that within Norkotia (and it gets stronger the closer you get to the main city itself), all magic is essentially dampened. So not only is the ambient magic that can be drawn upon lessened, but also the general potency is weakened. So your magic sword is only going to be about 25% as powerful in its attacks, and if it has to regenerate from ambient magic, that's going to happen at only a 25% of normal rate. Likewise, if you drink some sort of magic potion, it will only function at about 25% capacity.

That said, I tend to imagine it's almost as if there there's a sort of invisible energy field around Norkotia, fading out the further you get into the outskirts. So for the sake of this RP, it might be closer to 30 - 40% capacity, since you all will be operating further from the city center.

Does that answer your question?

Yes it does. Thank you for your time~

That raises a question on Magitech - particularly guns.

My characters uses a Magitech firearm that is basically a rune etched hammer that strikes a metal case with a rune on the back - that metal case is filled with mana, the two runes striking cause the mana to explode, firing the gun.

It otherwise works exactly like a gun, replacing gunpowder and primers with runes and mana - this would also be reduced by 25% in capacity, yeah? So from say 2200fps to like 1600fps?

4 minutes ago, Seraphina Jeanne said:

That raises a question on Magitech - particularly guns.

My characters uses a Magitech firearm that is basically a rune etched hammer that strikes a metal case with a rune on the back - that metal case is filled with mana, the two runes striking cause the mana to explode, firing the gun.

It otherwise works exactly like a gun, replacing gunpowder and primers with runes and mana - this would also be reduced by 25% in capacity, yeah? So from say 2200fps to like 1600fps?

It would be reduced to 25%, not by 25%. Meaning you'd be looking at closer to 550fps. Though, if the runes are magic too, that reduction could result in failure to fire altogether. Maybe he could elect to use local weapons for this mission? They won't be as good as his gun, obviously, being as he'll have a choice of bolt-action or lever-action rifles, revolvers or more primitive early semi-auto pistols, and early submachinegun models (think something like a Thompson or an MP34).

In theory regular firearms wouldn't work either - or at least not reliably.

While Norkatia is an independent city state within the borders of Terrenus, it is still on the continent. 

Due to the arcanosphere gunpowder is noted as unreliable - Hyeok is unlikely to bet his life on unfamiliar designs with spotty reliability; the manual of arms change alone would be a tall task to adapt to on the fly, potential failures at every trigger pull and then malfunction clearing or worse, total catastrophic failure means Hyeok would probably just relegate himself to a 'support' role.

I'll play the stealth character, when shit hits the fan Hyeok will find cover and stay there more then likely.

Is that cool?

Edit:

I noticed this is worded kinda uhhhh - aggressively; I'm by no means upset, I like the shift it makes for interesting roleplay! Just wanted to clarify, cause rereading it I kinda felt like it looked a bit dickish.

Edited by Seraphina Jeanne

1 hour ago, Seraphina Jeanne said:

In theory regular firearms wouldn't work either - or at least not reliably.

While Norkatia is an independent city state within the borders of Terrenus, it is still on the continent. 

Due to the arcanosphere gunpowder is noted as unreliable - Hyeok is unlikely to bet his life on unfamiliar designs with spotty reliability; the manual of arms change alone would be a tall task to adapt to on the fly, potential failures at every trigger pull and then malfunction clearing or worse, total catastrophic failure means Hyeok would probably just relegate himself to a 'support' role.

You are correct about gunpowder. I actually wrote that gunpowder article myself, so I'm quite aware of that limitation! However, Norkotian guns use a type of petroleum gel in place of gunpowder, thus the gunpowder limitation doesn't apply here. (Although the dampening on magic would technically reduce the gunpowder unreliability to 25% too, since it is magic that causes the unreliability.) So the guns will function about the same while using petroleum shells, just they won't make smoke and will smell like gas or diesel.

I noticed this is worded kinda uhhhh - aggressively; I'm by no means upset, I like the shift it makes for interesting roleplay! Just wanted to clarify, cause rereading it I kinda felt like it looked a bit dickish.

No problem! I love it that you are paying attention to the setting so closely! But so long as you are provided with petrogel bullets, you'll be able to use local firearms just fine.

Hopefully that whole thing was coherant, I was writing it while distracted.

Petrogel rounds sound interesting!

Do you have a write up on them anywhere? I'm an absolute detail nerd, I'd love to know how they achieve rapid combustion, how their structured, what kind of 'primer' they use, etc. 

You listed a Thompson and an MP34 as potential examples of similar weapons - would it be reasonable to assume firearm development is at about the level of the early 1930s? If so is an early 'battle rifle' acceptable? An early semi-automatic, like a ZK-391 or Meunier A6 or even a later Garand? 

Or would they simply be too difficult to acquire for a civilian? 

5 minutes ago, Seraphina Jeanne said:

Petrogel rounds sound interesting!

Do you have a write up on them anywhere? I'm an absolute detail nerd, I'd love to know how they achieve rapid combustion, how their structured, what kind of 'primer' they use, etc. 

You listed a Thompson and an MP34 as potential examples of similar weapons - would it be reasonable to assume firearm development is at about the level of the early 1930s? If so is an early 'battle rifle' acceptable? An early semi-automatic, like a ZK-391 or Meunier A6 or even a later Garand? 

Or would they simply be too difficult to acquire for a civilian? 

I haven't got a write-up yet, no. I do intend to with time, but for now, you can imagine the primer is fairly like a normal one (based on a quick look, they don't use powder, thus wouldn't be affected by the magic dampening) whereas the petrogel propellant acts about the same as a smokeless powder, but with no visible smoke (just some exhaust vapor) and a somewhat nastier smell.

As for the SMG/Battle Rifle question. Generally I was thinking Norkotia has some prototypes at a level of 1930s weaponry, yes. However I'm thinking actual battle rifles (stuff like Garands or BARs or STG-44s) have not been created. So to answer that question, I would say, no there aren't any automatic battle rifles available. The most common guns will be lever-action rifles, but bold-action rifles exist. SMGs are not as common and would have to specially provided by the employer, since civilians wouldn't have access to them yet.

I should mention I didn't mean select fire battle rifles. The following is not me campaigning to get to use anything, I just like talking about guns. 

I meant things like the Mondragon (1911), the RSC 1918, the ZH 29 (1929), and the Remington Model 8 (1905) - all of these are semi-automatic, large caliber 'battle rifles'. Normally magazine fed, some detachable, some not; all semi-automatic. 

They were a shockingly common thing Pre-WW2 that I think a lot of people assume didn't exist because most countries continued to use bolt action rifles; in part due to simple bureaucracy and often simply due to manufacturing costs. The Remington Model 8 for example was a popular, and common hunting rifle for its time. The ZH29 saw service by the Chinese National Revolutionary Army (Taiwan) in the lates 20s and early 30s. The Mondragon was around and Mexico's primary arm in WW1, as was the RSC 1917/18 for France. It should be said the aforementioned BAR was invented in 1918, it saw service in WW1.

Another example is you mentioned early semi-automatic pistols alongside submachine guns, and yet semi automatic pistols were basically a completed art before the Thompson was even invented - the Colt 1911 used the Browning tipping barrel design that nearly every modern handgun uses to this day. Before that things like the Colt Pocket Hammerless of 1903 was incredibly popular, more so then any revolver of its time for civilians self defense. 

I think a lot of people look at old pictures of police and WW2 and assume that revolvers and bolt actions were the peak, but by that point they were without question out-dated. Hell, by WW1 the revolver was out-dated without question. They remained common due to cost, bureaucracy and pure stubborn old men stuck in their way. 

This isn't me trying to argue my point, as I said - I just feel I might be able to add to the overall 'feeling' of Norkotia, as it strikes me as a bit of 1920s America in its vibe. 

I should mention I didn't mean select fire battle rifles. The following is not me campaigning to get to use anything, I just like talking about guns. 

I meant things like the Mondragon (1911), the RSC 1918, the ZH 29 (1929), and the Remington Model 8 (1905) - all of these are semi-automatic, large caliber 'battle rifles'. Normally magazine fed, some detachable, some not; all semi-automatic. 

They were a shockingly common thing Pre-WW2 that I think a lot of people assume didn't exist because most countries continued to use bolt action rifles; in part due to simple bureaucracy and often simply due to manufacturing costs. The Remington Model 8 for example was a popular, and common hunting rifle for its time. The ZH29 saw service by the Chinese National Revolutionary Army (Taiwan) in the lates 20s and early 30s. The Mondragon was around and Mexico's primary arm in WW1, as was the RSC 1917/18 for France. It should be said the aforementioned BAR was invented in 1918, it saw service in WW1.

Another example is you mentioned early semi-automatic pistols alongside submachine guns, and yet semi automatic pistols were basically a completed art before the Thompson was even invented - the Colt 1911 used the Browning tipping barrel design that nearly every modern handgun uses to this day. Before that things like the Colt Pocket Hammerless of 1903 was incredibly popular, more so then any revolver of its time for civilians self defense. 

I think a lot of people look at old pictures of police and WW2 and assume that revolvers and bolt actions were the peak, but by that point they were without question out-dated. Hell, by WW1 the revolver was out-dated without question. They remained common due to cost, bureaucracy and pure stubborn old men stuck in their way. 

This isn't me trying to argue my point, as I said - I just feel I might be able to add to the overall 'feeling' of Norkotia, as it strikes me as a bit of 1920s America in its vibe. 

First, you're awesome!

Second, the main reason I haven't incorporated such things into Norkotia, at least not yet, is partially since it's still moving into the 1920s/30s era, and doesn't yet even have a military (part of my long-term project and progression). So essentially while some things are in fact, far more modern, others are not. So the police still use revolvers and lever action guns, much like many U.S. police forces were still using them into the 60s. Also, I'm partially not adding certain types of weapons more for the aesthetic of it, if that makes sense. Is an M1 Garand better as an all-purpose rifle than a Springfield 1903 or Kar98? Yeah, but I just kind of find bolt rifles cooler, so I'm simply not going to have a Garand invented. Essentially as part of my creative license, I was planning on not using assault rifles, at least not until some time in the more distant future, and instead have Norkotia first move into the common bolt rifles and submachineguns, but from there advancing to merely better versions of those same types of weapons, rather than advancing past them. An automatic rifle will probably have to happen eventually, but at least for now I'm imagining they aren't common enough to be found in gun stores or even be available to government offices yet.

Basically Norkotia is still in a wild west/cowboy aesthetic, particularly in the outer towns and regions, but gets more modern closer to the middle of the city.

Edited by Tyler

I respect that - a creative variance to technology developing sideways of how the world did. 

On the note of lever guns, what pattern is common? Like a Winchester/Henry Bronze frame type? The later magazine Winchesters? Pistol caliber or rifle caliber? Edit: Oh, and what about shotguns? Are pumps around, or is double barrels?

Oh, and just because this thing cracks me up - I think you might get a kick out of this. the M1915 Gowell Automatic Rifle. A semi-automatic conversion of a bolt action rifle, of which there are many different kinds - this one is just well documented. I think it would be very cool if as Norkotia developed, rather then make stand alone battle rifles it simply updated and modified their old bolt guns. Plus, check this thing out in action, it's cool as hell!

Warning: High Res GIFs ahead.

Spoiler

lnvQ76b.gif

edyXzKH.gif

Edited by Seraphina Jeanne

18 minutes ago, Seraphina Jeanne said:

I respect that - a creative variance to technology developing sideways of how the world did.

Yeah, that's generally my idea. I also want to keep Norkotia fully analog, just finding more advanced ways to use it. No digitization. Likewise I'm considering never having them invent jets, but instead just inventing better and better piston aircraft, or even rocket powered airplanes (as the Axis had been testing such designs in late WWII).

On the note of lever guns, what pattern is common? Like a Winchester/Henry Bronze frame type? The later magazine Winchesters? Pistol caliber or rifle caliber? 

The Winchester/Henry designs are probably one of the common ones, though one can envision many variances. But for the sake of simplicity, you can imagine the Winchester 30-30, something like a Model 94, being the most typical. And you'd find them in both rifle and pistol calibers. I'm planning on the military eventually settling on a few specific calibers once they form. One will be the 30-06 for bolt rifles and MGs, though it will just be called a 30-Caliber. Also a 35 Caliber pistol, which function about the same as a 9mm, and be used in their pistols and SMGs. I'm not as good with guns as my dad is, so I'm generally wanting to keep things a bit more simple for the sake of the lore.

Oh, and just because this thing cracks me up - I think you might get a kick out of this. the M1915 Gowell Automatic Rifle. A semi-automatic conversion of a bolt action rifle, of which there are many different kinds - this one is just well documented. I think it would be very cool if as Norkotia developed, rather then make stand alone battle rifles it simply updated and modified their old bolt guns. Plus, check this thing out in action, it's cool as hell!

Warning: High Res GIFs ahead.

Hide contents

lnvQ76b.gif

edyXzKH.gif

What the heck. I have never seen this before! At some point I'm gonna have to show this to dad, he'll get a kick out of it! Or maybe he'll already know about it. I dunno. lol

Edited by Tyler