Someone.

New to Valucre

As the title implies, I am new to this website. I've been looking for a place to roleplay since some of the places I've been in have gone stagnant, and someone I knew found this website and recommended it for a few others. I've been roleplaying for two, going on three years now and look forward to interacting with this community.

Also, I'm still not really familiar with a lot of terminology, what kind of combat is the "collaboration" method?

5 minutes ago, Someone. said:

As the title implies, I am new to this website. I've been looking for a place to roleplay since some of the places I've been in have gone stagnant, and someone I knew found this website and recommended it for a few others. I've been roleplaying for two, going on three years now and look forward to interacting with this community.

Also, I'm still not really familiar with a lot of terminology, what kind of combat is the "collaboration" method?

Hi there

I don't want to immediately shuffle you off to a guide and make it seem like I'm not interested in helping you personally, which I am, but we came out with a new member guide last month that has gotten a lot of positive feedback and I think/hope that you'll find it useful as well: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/nux/new-member-guide/

Your specific question isn't answered in the guide but we do give a definition for it in the RP FAQ, which I can link you to if you'd like. I don't want to flood you with links either!

Collaborative: Choreographed to various degrees, from completely scripted to loosely plotted. Also known as "T1 Story", this requires only that players decide among themselves how combat should go

This is in contrast to competitive combat which seeks to "force" a hit on another player by means of a third party, whether that's a judge or a dice or stat blocks or whatever else the alternative system may dictate

Welcome to Valucre!

Edited by supernal

Yes, linking that would probably be very helpful, please do.

Also, I'm not sure if this is answered in the FAQ or if it's under collaborative, basically where the fight isn't structured in the slightest and everything goes as long as it isn't contradictory to the character's form, or predetermined limits. Characters should be using everything to their advantage, and you need to factor things in as well, like not trying to charge a spear wielder head on while wearing normal, unenchanted clothing.

Also, with the magic, are types that aren't mentioned allowed? Things like invisibility or anything else that screws with perception?.

4 minutes ago, Someone. said:

Yes, linking that would probably be very helpful, please do.

Also, I'm not sure if this is answered in the FAQ or if it's under collaborative, basically where the fight isn't structured in the slightest and everything goes as long as it isn't contradictory to the character's form, or predetermined limits. Characters should be using everything to their advantage, and you need to factor things in as well, like not trying to charge a spear wielder head on while wearing normal, unenchanted clothing.

Also, with the magic, are types that aren't mentioned allowed? Things like invisibility or anything else that screws with perception?.

Here is the RP FAQ: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/roleplay-faq

I think whether what you described is collaborative or not depends on your partner. It sounds like that could be competitive if you're trying to force hits or outmaneuver an opponent against their will, in which case the only thing that really matters is that you and your opponent agree that it's competitive and what the system to determine victory is or what victory means. "Everything goes" can mean quite a lot and is why administration wouldn't get involved in judging fights and things like that, you'd be responsible for your own judges

Also "types that aren't mentioned" is an umbrella of possibilities that I can't give a single answer to. Those are just general guidelines for that reason, rather than a 100 item list of what does and doesn't fly. Invisibility and illusion I can say are generally allowed types

12 minutes ago, princeben07 said:

There are things being reviewed and re-freshed with the Combat System here.....I'm SURE that you will find your way into it. Just have some fun!!!

Alright, I hope I will. Thank you for the response!

7 minutes ago, supernal said:

Here is the RP FAQ: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/general/roleplay-faq

I think whether what you described is collaborative or not depends on your partner. It sounds like that could be competitive if you're trying to force hits or outmaneuver an opponent against their will, in which case the only thing that really matters is that you and your opponent agree that it's competitive and what the system to determine victory is or what victory means. "Everything goes" can mean quite a lot and is why administration wouldn't get involved in judging fights and things like that, you'd be responsible for your own judges

Also "types that aren't mentioned" is an umbrella of possibilities that I can't give a single answer to. Those are just general guidelines for that reason, rather than a 100 item list of what does and doesn't fly. Invisibility and illusion I can say are generally allowed types

Thanks!

And it does mostly depend on the partner. If they're realistic about things it makes the whole thing a better experience but if they constantly evade, block, and deflect... It depends, like you said, but I have a feeling that at least among the people who do that kind of combat.

Thank you for the help! If I have any other questions I can't find the answer to, I'll probably ask.

I would say that combat is a very specific part of Valucre’s RP experience - I’ve been here three years and never engaged in competitive combat, always collaborative. However, there is a group of people who have lots of experience in competitive combat, and there are sometimes tournaments for PvP. 

There’s lots of topics and discussions on combat in here: https://www.valucre.com/forum/187-roleplay-discussion/

Anything that mentions T1 is combat related. You can look through some of the existing discussions to get an idea of how the combat culture is like on Val, or even start your own topic of discussion!

Hello Someone, nice to meet you.  😄

14 hours ago, supernal said:

I have a charrie that can become invisible, but he hasn’t T1 battled as of yet.  Also he’s muddy and stinky, which usually gives him away.  :P

Usually I discuss my characters abilities with other RPers to make sure they are ok with them.  If they say their charrie would be able to see past the invisibility, I’m not going to argue.  I’m fine with working together on it.  That’s just me though.  I think as long as communication is used everything can be worked out, within reason.  If you have any questions for me, or just want to chat, feel free to PM me.  

I hope you enjoy it here.  Welcome to Val.