jaistlyn

[OOC] Night of Terror - Knoles

Introduction

Spoiler

Background / Story

Help! 

Due to events near the Anima Imperium (a lab built within the wilderness in the east side of Terrenus) a flock of malevolent spirits had constructed organic bodies for themselves using the materials of the earth. These organic golems/zombies are now heading towards the innocent and peaceful town of Knoles:

On 5/14/2018 at 11:13 PM, Roen said:

The Grotesqueries stopped milling around the facility in their placid indifference, and moved as one, chittering in their foreign, alien tongue. Mandibles clicking and limbs quivering with renewed hunger, they all turned in unison in the direction of the village not so many miles away, and like some great hive of insects, moved through the nighttime storm in its direction. Horror profligate, they would descend on that nameless, hopeless town, and if left unchecked, butcher and devour the inhabitants and increase their numbers.

If no aid is given to the town, it would be a massacre indeed. Thus, if any adventurers are in the area, here's your chance to be a hero! Perhaps you sensed the storm brewing over the horizon, or saw the flashes of lightning nearby and heard the unnatural screams of a demon. Either case, you are making your way towards it when you come across the predicament of the town: Strange, bug-like creatures have overrun the place, and the inhabitants have either fled, or have holed themselves up in the town square. They are defended only by the town's small force of armed guards. Most of the people, including the children have been gathered into the Town Hall, and that is where most of the guards are placed. The rest are spread over the buildings around. The situation is dire.

I will be playing as Hedia, the mayor of the town of Knoles, who does not have any combat ability, but will help in other ways.

What

Bug-like zombie-killing RP that uses a board, rules and die rolls.

Objective

Kill all the bug-like zombies (144 initially, but they can Turn those they killed into one of them!), thus saving (hopefully most) of the people.

Number of players

Excluding myself, ideally 5, but it can probably work for 5 to 6 heroes. This is a strict number, because I did a (very brief) test run of the mechanics with myself using 5 hero tokens, and it's balanced for that. (warning, not fully tested though, but fun enough in my brief test!)

Skip time

3 days. Note that consistency in this RP is very important. If you are skipped for your turn, I will help your character make actions and rolls (rolling the dice and making an IC post is separate, as I will explain in the mechanics). Participating in this RP is an agreement to that. It'll be like someone leaving the board game table, and someone else filling in so that the game can go on.

Who can play?

If there is more interest than spaces available, I may have to pick people who I know are consistent, or who can proclaim that they will be consistent. 

Player character death?

Won't happen, unless you want it to. That said though, your character can be momentarily incapacitated, meaning you could lose turns.

What happens if all players 'die'?

I really really hope this doesn't happen, but if it does, it means that the town of Knoles is annihilated.

Mechanics

This is a long section, so if you hate board games or rules, you may want to move on. But if you've read to this point, you should be somewhat interested, right? Here's an image to entice you before I delve into the rules.

3JLVIsr.png

Rules

Spoiler

Turns and Rounds

There are 5 entities in this game - Heroes, Guards, Mayor (Hedia), Zombies, and Turned. In each round, every unit will have a turn, and they can each choose from a set of actions. The sequence of turns are: Heroes, Guards, Mayor (Hedia), Zombies, and Turned. Each player decides their action and makes their die roll before describing the results IC. After all the players had a turn, I will make the moves and rolls for the guards and Hedia. @sorainvoked will be helping me to control the zombies and their rolls, to eliminate any biasness from me (I want Knoles to survive! T.T) In the players' next turn, they can describe as much or as little as they wish of what their characters would have seen from their POV. I will mainly be writing in Hedia's perspective IC.

How do I make a die roll?

Online, physical die, anything. Just post the result OOC, and have integrity!

Starting point

Heroes start in one of the red squares. Hedia starts in the Town Hall.

What is M, W, C?

Man, Woman, Child. Together, they are referred to as the commoners. There's not much difference between M, W and C except to give a flavour for IC descriptions. Will you be guilty if the children are killed in the town hall? 

List of actions for each entity

Spoiler

Action - Heroes (HP 20)

- Move up to 3 squares (any adjacent squares including diagonally. No moving through buildings or other units.) - let me know which square you're moving to! OR

- Use 2 movement to give an item to an adjacent player OR

- Use 2 movement to retrieve an item revealed by Hedia in one of the buildings OR

- Use 2 movement to use a healing item on self, other players or Hedia.

THEN

- Attack Zombies or Turned for 1 to 6 damage (d6) (*Note, extra rules for ranged attacks below) OR

- Revive another player for 1 to 10 health (d10) (*Note, revived players lose their turn for that round) OR

- Make a search for an item (die roll)

No movement may be made after attacking, reviving etc.

Action - Zombies (HP 1)

- Move up to 2 squares OR

- Attack for 1 to x damage (dx, x being number of zombies in the unit) OR

- Kill 1 to x (dx) commoners (Men, Women or Children) when they are in a building, causing them to become Turned.

No other action can be taken after moving.

Action - Guards (HP 3)

- Attack Zombies for 1 to x damage (dx).

- Stationary unit, does not move.

- Cannot be healed.

Action - Turned (HP 0.5)

Turned are commoners killed by the zombies, and will turn into zombies themselves in 2 turns. 

Heroes can choose to use their attack to completely kill them before they become zombies, e.g. by severing their heads (if it doesn't weigh on their conscience!). Since the Turned cannot react, each 1 damage point will kill 2 Turned.

Turned zombies cannot act during the turn that they are awoken.

When Turned become Zombies, they will spawn in the buildings they are killed in. If the building is fully occupied, subsequent Zombie units cannot spawn until a square is cleared in the building. 

Action - Hedia (HP 20)

- Move up to 3 squares. Hedia is scared of the zombies so she will not enter a building that has a zombie in it, or a zombie adjacent to its entrance. AND

- When in one of the buildings (including Storage), search for an item (d3, >1 = success), if successful roll a die to determine the item to be revealed. If unsuccessful, Hedia will try again the next turn.

- Item that is revealed will stay in the building until one of the heroes enter the building and retrieves it.

- If Hedia has revealed the items in all the buildings, she will return to the Town Hall (or, if it has already been invaded by zombies, she will go to another building in clockwise direction).

- Hedia can be healed by healing items.

- If dead, Hedia cannot be revived.

Attack damage modifiers

If zombies are flanked, (there is more than 1 unit of heroes or guards adjacent to them), they take 1.5 times the final damage, rounded down.

Ranged attack rules

Spoiler

Ranged attack modifiers

Ranged attacks can hit enemies up to 3 squares away (also d6 die). However, the further the target, the less damage the target will receive.

Adjacent square: -0 to attack

2 squares away: -1 to attack

3 squares away: -2 to attack

Movement also affects the attack damage. Think of this as moving and shooting in a very short period of time, so your aim might be less accurate.

1 movement: -0 to attack

2 movement: -1 to attack

3 movement: -2 to attack

So, if you move 3 squares and then attack an enemy 3 squares away, the final damage modifier is -4, i.e. you'll need to roll 5 or 6 to even hit the target.

Line of sight

Ranged attack can only affect units that are within your line of sight, i.e. if you draw a straight line between the center of your square and the center of the enemy's square, it cannot pass through buildings or any other unit, be it friend or foe.

Movement in and out of buildings

As long as the space right outside the door is empty or is occupied by an ally, you can enter the building with 1 movement if you're adjacent to the door. Within the building, you are considered to be adjacent to all units inside, and to the space right outside the door. You can leave the building with 1 movement as long as the space right outside the door is empty or is occupied by an ally.

*New* Wall/window smashing rules

Spoiler

Zombie stacking

Zombie units can combine, (e.g. a unit of 1 can combine with a unit of 2 to became a unit of 3), up to a maximum of 6 zombies in one unit.

Smashing a building's walls/windows

Both heroes and zombies can attempt to strike a part of the building by rolling a d6

1 - Pretty much nothing happens

2 to 3 - A window is smashed

4 - 6 - The wall is smashed

Window smashed effects

If a ranged hero is standing in the space right next to the window, s/he can perform a ranged attack. Ranged attack rules apply. (Line of sight, modifiers)

3 zombies can climb in or out of the window at a time, if the space next to the window is empty. If the unit has more than 3 zombies, it will be split into 2 units. (e.g. 5 zombies would be split into 3-2).

When a window is smashed, the next roll of 2 or 3 would smash the wall.

Wall smashed effects

Wall is basically gone, and normal movement and attack rules apply to both heroes and zombies.

Smashing is a free action

The roll for smashing a door/window is a free action for both heroes and zombies, i.e. you can smash and then move and attack, or move then smash and attack, etc. However, you can only smash once per turn.

Items

Items are as follows in no particular order. I have an order for them, but will keep it secret. When searching for an item, a die roll is made depending on the number of items there are left. e.g. 20 items = d20, 19 items = d19.

Attack items can be used together with an attack action. Using healing items takes two movement.

Effects that cause half or double damage are applied to the final damage calculated.

Item descriptions:

Spoiler

1. Heal 5 HP (Item in Guard Station; used)

2. Heal 5 HP

3. Heal 10 HP

4. Heal 10 HP

5. 1 x Area attack (attack affects enemies in all adjacent squares) (Found by Sera; used)

6. 1 x Area attack (attack affects enemies in all adjacent squares) (Found by Anshi'la; unused)

7. 1 x Area attack (attack affects enemies in all adjacent squares)

8. Decrease zombie damage to half damage for 2 turns(Found by Sigrid; unused)

9. Decrease zombie damage to half damage for 2 turns (Found by Anshi'la; unused)

10. Stun zombie unit for 2 turns (Found by Mister Squiggles; used)

11. Stun zombie unit for 2 turns

12. Double damage  (Found by Sigrid; Used)

13. Double damage (Found by Hedia; Unused)

14. Increase attack rolls to d10 permanently (immediate effect)

15. Gains permanent ability to heal players/Hedia as an action by rolling d6 (on the same level as attack, search etc, immediate effect) (Sera gains the ability)

16. Gains ability to revive players with a d20 roll for HP permanently (immediate effect) (Item in town hall)

17. Reroll attack die once and keep the higher result 

18. Reroll attack die once and keep the higher result

19. Nothing ("Found" by Sigrid)

20. Nothing ("Found" by Hedia)

Edited by jaistlyn

39 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

@FirePenguinDiscoPanda tagging you to see if you'd like to participate in any capacity.

@sorainvoked tagging you to see if you're bringing any character along for the ride besides making the zombie rolls.

Oh? What capacity were you thinking of? While Marigold is unfortunately busy, I could use a Hedia' head guard of sorts (I've had some ideas). Or would you just like me to help set the town up for this disaster? 
What would you prefer?

I'll participate, less for the game concept (though who knows, I may enjoy it!) and more because I already have a character arc going with FirePenguin related to my character Nikki, which is tied to the entity in the Imperium. So she's just going to stumble upon the town as a result.

@FirePenguinDiscoPanda I do still need information from you about where our previous RP took place, this will affect where I put Nikki to start with (whether she arrives upon the town from the North-South-East-West) as well as my backstory description on how she got here.

8 hours ago, FirePenguinDiscoPanda said:

Oh? What capacity were you thinking of? While Marigold is unfortunately busy, I could use a Hedia' head guard of sorts (I've had some ideas). Or would you just like me to help set the town up for this disaster? 
What would you prefer?

I sort of meant participating with any other character, if you were interested. The head guard could be one of the Heroes too!

The heck, @Grubbistch, your character is a Deep One? That's awesome! I literally just finished reading The Shadow Over Innsmouth (second time, was a reread) last night! Also, my character that's going to be in this game (Nikki) is basically out searching for eldritch horrors of the Lovecraftian variety too. 

EDIT: Oh, @jaistlyn, so my character has a magictech assault rifle (think a AR-15 type of gun that shoots magic plasma bolts), what's the rule for attack range? The gun is configured to be a mid-range sniper rifle.

Edited by Tyler

I will gladly join if you'll have me ^^ I don't want to be bias toward the town's condition either so if it's better for me to stay out of it I will.
Ill be involved with the aftermath regardless ._.

26 minutes ago, FirePenguinDiscoPanda said:

I will gladly join if you'll have me ^^ I don't want to be bias toward the town's condition either so if it's better for me to stay out of it I will.
Ill be involved with the aftermath regardless ._.

Of course I’ll have you! No worries, I’ve reduced bias by letting a neutral party (sorainvoked) play the bad guy rolls and making the items’ order secret.

I'd like to join in on this.  Not entirely certain with whom, but I'm leaning towards Mister Squiggles stumbling into this situation and protecting the town because the irony amuses me.

Alright, I have an answer for you @Tyler

Ranged attack modifiers

Ranged attacks can hit enemies up to 3 squares away (also d6 die). However, the further the target, the less damage the target will receive.

Adjacent square: -0 to attack

2 squares away: -1 to attack

3 squares away: -2 to attack

Movement also affects the attack damage. Think of this as moving and shooting in a very short period of time, so your aim might be less accurate.

1 movement: -0 to attack

2 movement: -1 to attack

3 movement: -2 to attack

So, if you move 3 squares and then attack an enemy 3 squares away, the final damage modifier is -4, i.e. you'll need to roll 5 or 6 to even hit the target.

Line of sight

Ranged attack can only affect units that are within your line of sight, i.e. if you draw a straight line between the center of your square and the center of the enemy's square, it cannot pass through buildings or any other unit, be it friend or foe.

Edited by jaistlyn