WalkingWarrior

Seeking A Mentor (Closed/Fulfilled)

It's as the title suggests. My character Red is seeking a mentor to teach him in the ways of magic. Character info can be found here or in my signature.

Genre: Fantasy, maybe a bit of Sci-fi depending on how you perceive magic.
Location: Somewhere in Terrenus, likely a small pub or something similar. Definitely a smaller town rather than a large city, Red's scared of crowds.
Idea: The idea is simple and straightforward; Red wants to find himself a magic teacher. He's been enamored with magic since he was a kid, and despite all his self-made attempts he hasn't got very far. Red isn't a terrifically imaginative man so the nuances of creativity and the mental capacity for 'imagine anything' that typical magic covers will be difficult, if not impossible for him to grasp. He's going to need someone to teach him at his level, so to speak. Someone patient, practical, and above all else capable.
FAQs: None yet.

Edited by WalkingWarrior
Forgot to add link.

If he finds his way to Genesaris in the future, my Magician is opening an Academy soon tailored to teach the Arcane Arts. Otherwise, good luck! Maybe he can bump into him should my guy visit Terrenus anytime in the future, which is highly possible considering his affiliation to the Scarlet Region and it's Queen.

@Twitterpated Oh, dude. Let's definitely keep this in mind. I don't want his first exposure to magical teaching to be to the dark arts, but I had never even considered how Red would react to that kind of thing. An encounter with a dark magician would definitely be very interesting for him. Even a non-teaching encounter might be interesting to ponder and work out at some point.

I have a character that's the leader of a vigilante group who is magic capable and teaches by way of intensive workshops but this would only be viable in a scenario where your character would assist the group in their vigilante activities. If that sounds intriguing let me know and I'll send over some more details 

@supernal I don't think Red would be right for a vigilante group, but hit me up anyway. I've got another character I'm revising who would be good for that.

@Twitterpated Gotcha. Is 'dark arts' in this case just a reference to all types of magic, or specifically things like blood magic, necromancy, etc.? It was my mistake to assume the latter right off the bat, I forget that there's about a billion interpretations of magic and how it all works.

I would personally agree that dark arts is more like blood magic or necromancy yes, working with demons and what not. 

Arguably, I'm sure anything the IC communities see as "unsanctioned magic" constitutes as dark magic. Which is what will make Xartia's school so controversial. All magic is good/light, and also bad/dark, its reality is only dictated by the user's intent. That's what he believes. 

Either way, he has limited the share of his knowledge to what he feels is acceptable to share as public info. His proposed teachings are found in a text book he produced as a light grimoire. 

If you wish to see more I can share your the lore notes in the book as well as the academy. 

I like that outlook, I'll admit. The dichotomy of magic is difficult at best to discern, and even a healer with bad intent can do some major damage. Very very interesting. Red would definitely have a hard time seeing the grey in all of it. 

Go ahead and send me what you've got, I'm interested in learning more even if Redtail'd be more reluctant. Throwing him into it headlong would be very interesting.

If you want a character who might help Red to ... 'realise his potential', so to say, I have a character who might be able to help with that! My character Eulalia isn't technically a traditional magic user in the 'spell casting' kind of way, but her psychic abilities are based on arcana, and she's a strongly empathetic person, and quite a good teacher. 

Eulalia? That doesn't happen to come from those old Brian Jaques Redwall novels, does it? If so, excellent. If not, I recommend them.

That actually sounds pretty much exactly like what Red'd need to get himself started. Someone to help guide him to the right path, rather than someone to show him the one they've already used. And, admittedly, pending how this all goes it'd be very interesting if he ended up using the arcana himself. An arrow imbued with the Tower, for instance. Yikes. I'm for it, though, this feels right.