Valucre added to a new directory! Read more... ×
Valucre
Grubbistch

What is a Wizard without his Wand?

Ingrid hid her hands in her robes as she turned. Taking her uninjured hand, she guided him to his desk chair for him to sit down a moment. A nearly marring experience was definitely jarring. "I see..."She said, leaning and looking at his neck. It was red from scratching and she could feel the dark mana nesting in there like a serpent. Waiting. The fact that it had this behavior means it had a sentient nature...and that wasn't good if it was trying to hurt it's host.

"Meditation will help you confront it...but do it with me only. I don't want you left alone with it until we can find a way to get it out or tame it down."She said, easing away and kneeling down. "Don't worry so much about impressing me...You will always have people with expectations of you as a future lord...but you are my student."

Ingrid put her hand on his shoulder. "I don't expect anything from you...except that you do your homework and listen when I say 'be careful'."She said, giving him a pat. "And maybe clean your room."

Ingrid rose up from kneeling and smiled. "Magic isn't so much about winning. It's a connection with nature and knowing yourself. It's not so much about domination, it's coming to peace with your strengths and weaknesses as a person."She said, moving back over to her chalkboard and picking up her piece again with her non dominant hand, scrawling one word. Weakness in the Insecurities section. "I don't expect you to be perfect. I don't expect you to be able to conjure up an army on the first try...everything has to start somewhere."

She stepped away from the board. "We're going to try the spell again."She said, pulling the rock out of her pocket but making sure it was clean before she put it on his desk. "This time, I want you to not focus on making a work of art...I want you to focus on the simplicity. Simple shapes."She said but stayed close. She still had lots of space on her hand and another hand to work with if things went wrong. "If you aren't able to do it right now, we can take a little break. Besides, I have a surprise for you. Someone important to meet. We'll practice as many times as needed...but if that dark feeling comes back we'll stop for the day. We don't want anyone losing any eyes or hands."

Luis smiled, his heart feeling better after hearing the kind words of his teacher. Sometimes one can get lost in their own mind, and be weighed down by things that don't even matter that much in the world. He felt incredibly lucky to have such a teacher to help through this difficult journey. "I would like to practice, just for a little while. Then I want to see this surprise."

Determination has always been one of the main virtues associated with House Uldwar. People spoke much about the incredible drive his father, Oscar, had when he went out in combat, always striving for victory even when the odds got bad. It was said that his prowess in battle came mostly from his weapon, a strange sword made of black metal. Fate's Bane was it's name, and in Ursa Madeum, people whispered that whoever held the sword was destined for great things. All the patriarchs held the sword during their reign, it was a greater symbol of authority than any crown.

Improvements were made, but Luis still had a ways to go before he could fully master the spell. It felt nice to be a little more in control of himself, and his neck didn't itch at all during the lesson. Now that he felt satisfied with his progress, he was excited to see what the surprise was.

Ingrid could see a difference right away when he took the time to ignore impressing her and work on the spell itself. The difference was night and day. The star needed work, but his cube and the cylinder were starting to be right on point. After he practiced, she would walk with him down from his room to the east wing were her room was. The person who waited for them was highly respected not just by mages but by royalty. The Queens that had been staking their claim across Valucre asked for her specifically to assist them be it with their help or a magic purpose. 

In her room, there was the sounds of giggling from Camille and a deeper, more womanly chuckle inside. Ingrid would open the door to reveal a woman clothed in all black except for green silk around her bosom and a cavat around her neck who was casting a playful little spell with Camille to chase smokey bubbles around the room. When he caught one, it would poof and sparkle for a moment before fading away and he would go chasing after another. "Come in Luis, this is someone whom I think you'll like to meet."She said, stepping in. 

The woman in black would look up from her spot on the window sill and smile a whit e smile from under her hood, easing off of it. She was shorter than Ingrid but her presence filled a room. Reaching up and removing her hood, she would reveal herself to be another elf, her hair as white as snow and eyes as blue as sapphires to Ingrid's brown hair and sky blue eyes. "This is Kalmuli. Grand Archmage and Master of the Weaver Academy where I graduated."

"You must be Luis...You are more handsome than Ingrid described."Kalmuli smiled at him.

Luis felt extremely honored to be in the presence of such a powerful wizard. He knelt to her, wanting to show his respect to her station before speaking. 

"Lady Kalmuli, I...it is a great honor to have you in our home. If I had known you were going to be here I would have asked my mother to receive you with celebrations befitting your status."

Mother always said that important guests deserved important accommodations, or else you could be seen as rude. He had heard of many of the exploits of the archmage and her abilities, counting her among the great masters of the world. At the very least he would have tried to freshen up before presenting himself to her.

Kalmuli chuckled and approached him, patting his shoulder. "I don't need it...I'm on an informal visit here. Besides, I wanted to meet my Alumnus' new student."She said, easing off his shoulder and lingering over to head back to her spot on the window. Camille was still chasing the magic bubbles and it entertained her to watch the toddler run around and chase them. "Of course, I have to wonder if you would be a good student at my Academy one day."

Ingrid smiled and took a seat at the small dining set in her room. "I think he will be a fine fit...We were working on Red Mana today and he's been doing very well. I'm sure in the future he'll make a great student."She said with a nod. 

"So that is what I felt earlier..."Kalmuli noted. "From the sensations I got in the beginning...hmm...Luis, come to me a moment. I want to look at your mana."

"Do you think that's necessary?"Ingrid frowned. She was worried about the dark mana and Luis' want to show off but Kalmuli was wise enough to know better than to trigger that..right? The great teacher was more impulsive than she was. 

"Always..."Kalmuli said, gesturing for Luis to come close to her.

With a big smile, the star struck apprentice went to Kalmuli and presented his palm to her. It was a thrilling experience to meet one of the mages he had been following for some time now. To think if he could actually go to the same academy Ingrid went to and study magic there, it would be a dream come true.

When his mana appeared once more, Luis would be disheartened to learn of how much the darkness had grown already. "That wasn't so big earlier today..."

The darkness had spread outwards, having nearly consumed the entire base of the red mana, replacing it with black particles. It swirled, collected and spread out in slow clumps, as if made of oil. Something was strange about it, something that he couldn't quite explain as he looked into it. Whatever this energy is, it was powerful, it was old, and it was angry.

"Am I going to be all right?" Concern shown in his voice, unsure of what to make of it. All magic was directed by intent, but this seemed different entirely, almost like a curse of some kind.

Kalmuli examined the sight of the mana, feeling it out. It didn't like her presence here either and it was desperately trying to seep in deeper. She smirked, and brought her hand over it. Slowly she introduced her mana to it, pushing it into the darkness. It may be old...but Kalmuli was older. She separated the red from the black and very quickly, placed a seal over it to keep it from progressing any further. "Looks like you've got yourself a parasitic aura..."She said, chuckling. "But this seal will keep it tame until you can control it."

"A parasitic aura?"Ingrid said, her brow furrowed.

"Mmhm...something that's been planted in him since he became more active with mana..."Kalmuli explained. "It's designed that when you become stronger, it starts to seep a little bit more and a little bit more..."

Kalmuli put her hands on his that contained the dark aura. She smiled and pat his palm. "Not to worry young Lord...someone may have just tried to mess with you to control your fate...but they haven't been introduced to a Fate Weaver yet. At least, not me anyway."She said, releasing his hand. "Once your natural mana is strong enough, the seal will disappear naturally...but feeding into negative intentions will make it stronger. Self doubt will just give it all the more reason to try to slip the seal and try to take you over. Turn you into something that I know you are not."

Kalmuli would reach over, cupping his face with her hand. "Fate has good things in store for you if you are willing to make the changes, young Luis...Of course, if anyone else says otherwise, you can talk to Ingrid who will contact me and I'll sort it out right away."

For the first time in his life, Luis felt as if he had finally been allowed to take back control of his destiny. A heavy burden was lifted from his shoulders, but it was also replaced with a serious responsibility attached to it. Luis understood the importance of keeping his emotional state under control, though he knew it would be a difficult task in the future. Puberty was on it's way, but he wouldn't allow that to mess with his future.

"I can't thank you enough for what you've done, Lady Kalmuli. You have my eternal gratitude, and my promise that I will be the best wizard that I can be." He would never forget this kindness, remembering it fondly whenever he needed a reminder of why he had to stay in control. 

"If it's all right, could you look at a book I've been struggling to open for a while? I figured with your knowledge you could crack the mystery behind it, so I could better understand what it is and what it says." If given permission, he would run back to his room to retrieve the copper bound book that was chained shut. Unknown to young Luis, he held in his possession a tome known as Arcadia's Rest, a powerful artifact which an orc shaman had carved many powerful rituals within it's glass pages. 

"The lock doesn't have a keyhole, which leads me to believe it needs a certain spell to open it. Unfortunately I have no idea what age it comes from, so I don't have a clue as to where to look for a possible unlocking charm."

Kalmuli and Ingrid would smile while he said his thanks. Kalmuli herself, would beam a smile and gave his hair a ruffle. "Don't grow up too quickly...Humans don't have a long puberty like elves do."She said, chuckling and then giving him a wave. The door to Ingrid's room would open so he could go grab the book he was so excited about. Ingrid however, seemed to be concerned about it. 

"Are you sure you should let him toy with something like that?"She asked her teacher with some concern.

"Something like what?"Kalmuli said, tilting her head. 

"Orc Magic..."Ingrid said lowly.

"There's nothing wrong with the Orcs...but let me take a look at the book itself. If it's something serious, I can confiscate it right away."Kalmuli said before Luis came back with the book. She opened her hands up to accept the book, taking a hard look at it and the shape of it. It was definitely Orc...no doubt about it. The area that radiated off it though was dark...and familiar. She looked to Luis. "This is a very old book...several hundred years old. It's a book of Orc Shaman...I'm sure the contents have some rituals but...you must be very careful. Depending on the shaman who wrote this, they can be dark magic user. What the Orcs call 'The Fel'."

Kalmuli looked at the lock on the book, running her fingers along it. "I can open it of course...Orc and Elves aren't too far from each other in terms of magic...but I think for your safety and your family's, leaving it locked would be best."She said, holding the book in her hands. She could feel something from it trying to leak out and trying to attach to her but she warded it off easily. "It's a possibility that this book may be the cause of the dark mana...but we won't know until it's open and that's too much of a risk if you already have exposure."

Luis nodded, understanding why they would rather he be cautious and not open the book just yet. To think he had such a valuable treasure from centuries ago, it almost blew his mind. Only in great legends did people speak of such objects of power, and surely this one would be like all the others. As soon as he was ready for it, he was going to pry open that book and see for himself what was inside.

"When can I apply to go to the Academy? Is there an entrance exam you have to take?" Excitement was pumping through his veins, it was all so much for him to process all at once. This was going to be the start of his legend, the beginning of his epic tale that would show the world what he was made of.

Looking over to Ingrid, Luis felt himself stricken with a critical idea. "I should tell mother about this right away, she'll be incredibly proud that I could get into the Academy!"

Kalmuli pondered on this but kept the book in her hands. She felt uneasy about leaving it with him...Luis had an ambitious attitude about everything and she admired it...but with the hopes of opening the book, she had second thoughts about leaving it here. She took the book, opening her robe and sliding it under, making it seemingly disappear. "When you're caught up...Ingrid his going to help you catch up to where you need to be in order to take the exam. Ingrid will give you practice exams to prepare you for it and then when she feels you're ready, you'll come for the exam itself. You'll stay a week at the academy in preparation for it."She said, lacing her fingers together and settling them under her chin as she leaned forward. 

"That's if you get into the Academy, Young Lord."She added on. 

"He's already showing a lot of promise...today he was working with earth. Some young students can't even make it move on their first try. He's dedicated..."Ingrid remarked. 

"...Dedication can also turn out to be obsession...Don't pretend that I can't see that hand wound of yours. Come here."Kalmuli said, extending her hand out and gesturing for Ingrid to come over. Ingrid reluctantly listened, coming over and showing the wound on her hand. Her natural healing had stopped the bleeding but there was still a puncture wound there. Kalmuli tutted. 

"We were talking about intention today...strengths and weaknesses."Ingrid said, looking to Luis. "And we got a hard lesson about that today, didn't we?"She looked down at her hand as Kalmuli was working on healing it. It would only take a minute but this was evidence of why one had to be cautious. 

He hated that he had messed up that spell, and frowned when he saw how it had hurt his teacher. Magic was a dangerous thing if handled improperly, especially now with this predicament going on with his mana. If he wanted to be a true wizard, he had to start acting like one, and that meant setting aside childish beliefs and practices.

"Yeah, I know I need to be more careful when I'm using magic, at least now I fully appreciate that lesson." Recognizing he was allowing himself to slip by feeling bad about his actions, he stood up straight and remained confident in himself. "Sometimes I will fail, and sometimes I'll even slip up, but I know in my heart I can be a good wizard. I just need some help and guidance towards that."

Looking to Ingrid once more, he reaffirmed his commitment to being her student. "I swear I'll take all of this more seriously. For so long this has been my dream, I just never realized what the reality would be like. I'll show you and Lady Kalmuli what I can do, but it won't be to impress anyone, it'll be to show myself that I can be more than what my father wants me to be."

Kalmuli would smile and Ingrid would too, moving her hand away out of Kalmuli's hold once it was finished healing. "I will say this...you still made a cylinder, it was just a pointy one."She said, showing her hand that was completely smoothed and healed over. "In reality, a star, a cube and a cylinder are basic shapes to form the base and points of a spike. You didn't fail...you just did something a little earlier than you should have and the dark mana took over from there."

Kalmuli would sigh at her graduate. Ingrid had such an upbeat sense of things...it was almost frustrating. She would look back to Luis. "I look forward to it...to graduate the Academy, you have to fight me with everything you have. It's not an easy feat."She said, looking to Ingrid. "This one got lucky."

"Ah...speaking of fighting. Why don't you show Luis your wand? I think he'd be rather surprised at the shape of it."Ingrid mentioned, Kalmuli raising an eyebrow. For her, it wasn't much to look at but Ingrid knew that Luis would be fairly surprised. Wands had many different shapes and Kalmuli's had one that his father would approve of. "Of course, when you've gotten mastery over a few things, you'll be able to even name your wand. Mine personally is called 'Juggernaut'."

"It's such a masculine name...Needle is more elegant."Kalmuli commented, getting off the window sill and reaching into her coat. There was the sound of steel against steel, Kalmuli drawing out not a wand...but a sword. An elegant-looking rapier engraved with runes on the spiraling hilt.

"Wow..." Luis was awestruck at the beauty of the weapon, completely surprised that it was in fact a magical wand. "I thought wizards only used wands or staves or even orbs. My father would likely pack my things for me if he thought I could have a sword as a wand." 

Lord Uldwar had always dreamed of his sons being great warriors, even if it wasn't the same dream they had. Part of Luis had a feeling Henry never really wanted to be a knight, and Godric made his feelings clear when he left the island in search of adventure. Even Luis would rather explore the art of the arcane rather than wield a sword or don armor. Sometimes that lead to more than a few arguments between the two.

"So it can work as both a rapier and as a wand? That seems almost mad." It was clear there was much more to magic than he had ever known, and it excited him deeply to explore it.

Kalmuli brandished the blade, looking it over for any smudges and nicks but the blade itself was perfection. Just how she liked it. She pointed the end of the blade down to the floor, sticking it in with a twang and letting it stand there on it's own. "Your wand is an extension of you. After awhile, it starts to form a personality of it's own."Kalmuli explained. "It can take the shape that works best with you. I chose a sword because I was a swordsman before I became a mage."

Ingrid looked down at her healed hands, flexing her fingers a little. "And mine are gloves...I'm what they would call a Pugilist."She said before slipping her hands into her robes and folding them there comfortably. "Each type of weapon has it's own strengths and weaknesses. When you know yourself a little bit more, the shape will come to you."

"Would you like to see a duel?"Kalmuli asked the boy. It would be a rare sight to see a Grand Master and an Archmage in a sparring match. "I wonder where there would be a safe place to do it..."

"There are the fields outside the town. They're open plains and no one really around. Lord Uldwar may even want to attend as well since this would be one of the few times I'll get to show my real skills..."Ingrid remarked. It would be a good wake up call to Luis too to see how dangerous it could be but also a means of showing him how Red Mana is used in offense and defense.