Poll - quests or slice of life?

Which do you prefer?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Quests or Slice of life?

• Quests
    • Slice of Life

Just doing a quick, informal survey type to deal to see what people think 

To have a shared, working definition, think about each in these terms:

• quests - pretty common since they are an easy way for board leaders to seed their areas with lots of prompts. they follow a traditional adventure-type plot structure, where people will get together, face challenges towards a goal, and then complete that goal. usually these have a Big Bad of one sort or another and usually the PCs are successful (like most games and stories) but they aren't limited to this
  • slice of life - also fairly common. the canon is easy to influence generally speaking but since its for noteworthy events, a lot of slice of life that is on a smaller scale doesn't usually call for canonization. that said slice of life threads that commonly do influence the canon are things like celebration threads (festivals, balls, galas), event threads (world fair, whispernight, etc), threads concerned with economic or political alliances and things like that

Personally I like doing both so that's what I do. But which one do you find yourself gravitating to towards more?

Tried to do a slice of life RP once and I just enjoyed the prospect of being able to just focus on the personalities of every character involved without making things weird or solely focused on something. Course my thread died because I may have had no idea what I was doing despite getting more than a few people into it, but it seemed like it would've been really fun once it got passed the intro and the interactions began. I imagined it being a literary hangout for everyone at a school for Terrenus's more gifted.

Quest are tons of fun too, but they're all I ever do and it's hard to find one that has a sense of humor.😅 I guess at this very moment I'm cravin' a change of pace. One where cool stuff can happen, but with a much more relaxed feel.

After having done a number of both, I enjoy a mix too, especially having the same group of characters transition from quest to slice-of-life, or vice-versa. 

Quests are usually very objective-based, and there is relatively fewer chances of character interactions. Players in a quest are in general impatient to get on with the action, especially if it’s a large group (otherwise some people might run out of things to interact with). I have experienced this first hand from GMing a number of threads in Yh’mi - when I try to give some ‘downtime’ for character interactions, it isn’t as exciting until I throw in the next piece of action, so it’s fights after obstacles after fights, and though characters don’t speak that much, they get to play off each other’s skillsets and develop a natural partnership. I find that when playing with someone new, quests are an excellent way to break the ice.

When you play with someone familiar though, or someone whose character happens to be a good fit with your character, I like exploring the relationship between the two, or between a group of characters through slice-of-life threads. These are the ones that let me flesh out my character’s personality, backstory and motivation, since my RP style is more of making things up as I go in order to fit the situation, rather than fixing most of my character’s traits right from the start.

It also boils down to my personal preference in having a mix of moods in my threads. I like to think that I’m a versatile RPer who’s able to write a range of scenes, from solemn and depressive to humorous and happy. Quests tend to be more serious, and slice-of-life more light-hearted, though there are definitely exceptions. I would say maybe 70% of them are that way? I enjoy the mix, and hope to continue with it!

@zackrobbman I have definitely done quests which are much fun and full of silly nonsense, but for me it boiled down to luck with the players participating, and the characters they choose. I don’t know what the secret formula is unfortunately XD

Edited by jaistlyn

I'm pretty in favor of quests because even a quest can have bits of slice of life in it to interrupt the adventure bits. I also tend to get bored with slice of life because there's no over-arching goal or progression. I'm sure you could make one, I've just never experienced that in the ones I've participated in.

That being said, that's why I'm in favor of open hub threads like my Sadira Amar and Enoteca. It allows for subplot and still caters to SoL users who just wanna RP out a chill time. It's hard--in my opinion--to maintain a whole thread dedicated to one thing. Having an open thread that allows for multiple interactions on a SoL level is more achievable.

I like quests because I can knock out character development, plot and progress all at once. And it doesn't even have to be like a typical quest adventure. I like having objectives and goals to meet, and plotting my character's progression around it.

And now I've evened it out again.

I find quests kind of grindy, both as a player and GM, whereas I think the greatest enjoyment I've had here on Val has come out of some of the big "party" slice-of-life threads. Even if my characters have never been important or central focuses in those events, I still find it fun to be part of a much larger event (especially since it exposes me to a lot more players and characters). Just my enjoyment factor for those handful of big threads alone easily has outweighed my experiences in quest threads.

I evened it out again now too. I prefer quests with rewards (I like dat phat loot guys).

I also agree with jaistlyn regarding these as ways to break the ice with new characters or get to play off of each other's strengths. It also brings people that may not have even though of sharing stories together with the promise of individual achievement. Even more 'slice of life' stories can come out of those quest ones if things go well.

As an example, I wouldn't mind going on another quest with the folks I went through the Safe Riots thread with Agony so long ago. Felt we had chemistry both ooc and ic.

For anyone new coming into this that doesn't want to back read it should be said/understood that this isn't about one being better than the other, and it isn't about doing one to the exclusion of another since people often (and to great effect) mix the two, it's about gathering what your preference is even if that preference is a 55/45 split leaning one way

And on that now right now quests are in the lead! I'm surprised at how neck and neck its been