supernal

General chat thread

At earlier's conversation, I think anyone given the choice would take the billions (ignoring the statistical probability increase into the double digits of being killed by your own family above x winnings in the lottery) but, that's sort of the point of a Van Gogh situation.

It's a
posthumous honoring without input. 

Nobody except some very crazy & unique individuals want to be killed in the line of duty during wartime, but that doesn't change the accomplishments they undertook leading to them being given (an) award(s). They just failed for reasons of their own doing or not, to grasp that particular honor while they lived. It happens.

That doesn't directly tie into the sociological or biological trait of greed (not to be confused with self-preservation as this is the aim of "thriving" not surviving, which fame then wealth as a byproduct with a capitalized upon brand facilitate). It operates without input from the person in question regardless of what they'd prefer. You can set out with very good intentions and business sense, still fail, then be recognized when you're no longer in the game; it's just more common for that to occur in the creative realm than it is something you can more tangibly compare and must tangibly demonstrate like a physical feat since that more often has a short shelf life.  

Likewise, role-playing is a social hobby first, all creative endeavors second. End of the day, no matter what you might present, there is always something social to be had in it regardless of how you brand yourself; and you're always hunting for it.

Whether it's to appeal to a specific group or distinguish yourself from said group, or to "beat" people (while making sure to remind people you don't care about that! Looks cooler when you seem indifferent to success), whether you see the whole situation as one big interconnected and erratic video-game in text format or you think yourself a novelist writing about your steampunk robot skunk: end of the day, you are trying to obtain some form of "recognition." Be it for competency or malevolence as a sort of meta-role play within the role play, it's human nature. The only real exceptions I could see would be people who are better off writing solo as they don't grasp the social aspect of the game at play. 

Or something. ?

20 hours ago, Haelikor said:

At earlier's conversation, I think anyone given the choice would take the billions (ignoring the statistical probability increase into the double digits of being killed by your own family above x winnings in the lottery) but, that's sort of the point of a Van Gogh situation.

It's a
posthumous honoring without input. 

Nobody except some very crazy & unique individuals want to be killed in the line of duty during wartime, but that doesn't change the accomplishments they undertook leading to them being given (an) award(s). They just failed for reasons of their own doing or not, to grasp that particular honor while they lived. It happens.

That doesn't directly tie into the sociological or biological trait of greed (not to be confused with self-preservation as this is the aim of "thriving" not surviving, which fame then wealth as a byproduct with a capitalized upon brand facilitate). It operates without input from the person in question regardless of what they'd prefer. You can set out with very good intentions and business sense, still fail, then be recognized when you're no longer in the game; it's just more common for that to occur in the creative realm than it is something you can more tangibly compare and must tangibly demonstrate like a physical feat since that more often has a short shelf life.  

Likewise, role-playing is a social hobby first, all creative endeavors second. End of the day, no matter what you might present, there is always something social to be had in it regardless of how you brand yourself; and you're always hunting for it.

Whether it's to appeal to a specific group or distinguish yourself from said group, or to "beat" people (while making sure to remind people you don't care about that! Looks cooler when you seem indifferent to success), whether you see the whole situation as one big interconnected and erratic video-game in text format or you think yourself a novelist writing about your steampunk robot skunk: end of the day, you are trying to obtain some form of "recognition." Be it for competency or malevolence as a sort of meta-role play within the role play, it's human nature. The only real exceptions I could see would be people who are better off writing solo as they don't grasp the social aspect of the game at play. 

Or something. ?

Reading this really stimulated me.

Edited by elixir
my icon is the accurate portrayal of my stimulation.

On 5/8/2019 at 5:43 AM, The Rabbit Emperor said:

I have the stupidest character concept that won't stop bouncing around in my head.

8 inch tall humanoid. Pixie/Fairy/Other Thing. 

Okay, not that weird yet.

Mech pilot.

6'5" tall mech, equivalent in scale to a human piloting 60' tall mech.

Get to live out my mech pilot RP fantasy, but in literally any RP. Doesn't fuck with power creep, isn't leveling cities, can fit in a dungeon. 

It's so stupid, but I...I want to do it. 

If you don't do this, I will totally steal it. That sounds amazing.

5 minutes ago, Grubbistch said:

Man this Clan stuff is really popping off. I'll just sit here with my Buddhist minotaurs, Chinese Dragonborn and other eastern inspired cultural profiles up in Alethea, though it would be cool to interact with them maybe.

My guy, I will hit you up for that sometime soon ?

28 minutes ago, Grubbistch said:

Man this Clan stuff is really popping off. I'll just sit here with my Buddhist minotaurs, Chinese Dragonborn and other eastern inspired cultural profiles up in Alethea, though it would be cool to interact with them maybe.

Our old survey results indicated that people like the idea of conflict between medium sized groups. The pattern holds! 

1 minute ago, supernal said:

Our old survey results indicated that people like the idea of conflict between medium sized groups. The pattern holds! 

Really, noble houses and clans are all the rage nowadays! People want to be in a group in a we-stand-together-as-family against others ? first Ursa Madeum, now the Datsuzoku and I believe there will be more in the works soon!

Edited by vielle

Just now, vielle said:

Really, noble houses and clans are all the rage nowadays! People want to be in a group in a we-stand-together-as-family against others ? 

They always have been! This isn’t anything even remotely new it’s just the circle turning back around. It’s the exact same driving force behind all those criminal orgs 

Just now, supernal said:

They always have been! This isn’t anything even remotely new it’s just the circle turning back around. It’s the exact same driving force behind all those criminal orgs 

??? I hope to capitalize on this trend for Avarra soon ? it's effective!

1 minute ago, vielle said:

??? I hope to capitalize on this trend for Avarra soon ? it's effective!

YES YESSSSS

I LOVE IT 

It’s really fun and engaging to see the different takes of the same general scheme, not just what comes of it but where it comes from too. I hope others get those feels too 

Just now, supernal said:

YES YESSSSS

I LOVE IT 

It’s really fun and engaging to see the different takes of the same general scheme, not just what comes of it but where it comes from too. I hope others get those feels too 

I definitely got those feels! It's so effective, I feel we've got way more responses than we ever prepared for in the Yanaihara Clan ? 

you've heard of noble house, you've met with imperial clans, now get ready for: mercenary syndicates battling for control over a plutocratic society built on adventuring economics and hunger-games-treasure-hunting ?