7 minutes ago, elixir said:

Dead, but not forgotten.¬†ūüėĒ‚úä

But now is my chance to takeover.
Please support me. I have pizza rolls.

Pizza rolls? I’m in! You have my axe.

28 minutes ago, AngryCacti said:

Pizza rolls? I’m in! You have my axe.

13 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

Slow down there, buddy. We don't even know what kind of pizza rolls.

4 minutes ago, supernal said:

Right?

He just signed up to eat shoe leather 

The pizza rolls are handmade - stuffed with chicken and bacon and a light garlic glaze. I also have parmesan cheese dip on the side.

So, the only one who's gonna eat shoe leather is you, @supernal. #facts

2 minutes ago, elixir said:

The pizza rolls are handmade - stuffed with chicken and bacon and a light garlic glaze. I also have parmesan cheese dip on the side.

So, the only one who's gonna eat shoe leather is you, @supernal. #facts

You have my halberd 

10 minutes ago, supernal said:

Valushia and Vansin are discussing elements of roleplay on Valucre

Vivaciously vociferous

. . .

@Vansin @Valushia @The Alexandrian @Die Shize @Roen @jaistlyn

Come to me!

Probably won't work but had to try

Also I only included V named users in the above because alliteration, a'ight amiables?

Die Shize    Today 8:08 PM    
I think one flaw in an ‚Äėanything goes‚Äô roleplay world where conflict is whatever is that flat out ignoring someone would also be acceptable
‚ÄúDon‚Äôt want to back off? Okay. I‚Äôll just ignore you.‚ÄĚ

True and also why I think a conflict resolution framework is so important. Although the various styles of T1 I've seen can all be quite fun and engaging, they very rarely resolved conflicts without third party involvement. Which is a fine dependency of a system for specific situations, like a tournament, but not imo for all potential site-wide conflicts; not withstanding the fact that a lot of those systems only really work at a one to one scale and don't scale up, so if you wanted to accommodate mid and large scale conflicts you might need another system for that

1 hour ago, supernal said:

I think one flaw in an ‚Äėanything goes‚Äô roleplay world where conflict is whatever is that flat out ignoring someone would also be acceptable
‚ÄúDon‚Äôt want to back off? Okay. I‚Äôll just ignore you.‚ÄĚ

Valushia Today 7:09 PM
Are you doing this ICly, or OoCly? @Die Shize

@Valushia

That is a good question worth two answers.

If the roleplay parameters accept that 'anything goes' in the sense that you can attack someone's character on a whim without needing their consent because 'anything goes' then I think the other person can just as much ignore the attacker because 'anything goes'. Starting a PVP goes and ignoring a PVP goes because anything goes. So if you don't need permission to PVP or to ignore a PVP then maybe I'm doing this ICly only, assuming that "OOCly" means contacting the other roleplayer with my concerns.

But it's subjective. Because, on the other hand, if someone on Valucre were to randomly take a swing at me especially if I'm just swinging on a swing then I'm compelled by conduct and practice to approach them about it OOC, whether before or after I post IC depending on what that post entails.

Is this what you were after with your question?

Edited by Die Shize

In my opinion...

What really matters in roleplay is that players are having fun.

I don't particularly enjoy rp combat against characters that are ridiculously overpowered.  If the character that pops up in my hypothetical open battle scene starts shooting small black holes from the palms of its hands with 3,000,000,000,000,000 odd troops backing it up and the post is all of two sentences with zero canon backing, my kneejerk reaction would be to discuss it in an OoC thread somewhere and push for a rewrite.

If memory serves @Rabbit once mentioned, in the chatbox, a vampire that could only be beaten on a certain day between certain hours every three years.  I would not accept this character participating in an open battle scene I've elected to host.

I get it.  Some players, generally new-ish players, like insanely powerful characters.  They want people to read their writing and exclaim, "Wow, that character is strong!"  That's typically when old-ish players step in and talk the player with the insanely powerful character down because characters like that just aren't fun for anyone else.

Who here will admit that their favorite superhero is Superman?

Superman used to be pretty rad.  Then, he started dying and resurrecting in what felt like every other movie.  He flew around the world so fast he turned back time.  To me, he became dreadfully dull.

Furthermore...

When my characters fight ridiculously overpowered characters, I'm forced to scale them up or let them die.  The outcome isn't unpredictable and inventive; I'm being shoehorned into making my character immune to black holes or making my character capable of traveling through time to that certain day between certain hours every three years or my character will be utterly destroyed.

It could be argued that I'm too possessive with this hypothetical character.

Let's say I've spent a significant number of hours writing about this characters.  A sprinkling of drama, a dash of intrigue - I've devoted my time to setting my character up for interesting stuff.

Then, in one post, in two sentences riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes, a random dude, who I've been aware of for all of three minutes, tries to murder the everliving daylights out of the character I've spent so long setting up for all this cool stuff.

I have options.  I can power said character up way more than I ever want to (it might make people hesitant to rp with me if my character beats up the ridiculously overpowered character) and pull some nonsense out of the ether to justify it after the fact, let my character die in a horribly anticlimactic and, frankly, disappointing way, or take it to the OoC and set some ground rules for the battle.

I mentioned ignoring someone as well, that’s for instances if the other party is not willing to accommodate to a mutually agreeable end (which has never happened to me on Valucre), or if they are clearly being a troll.

On conflict, to put myself on the attacking end - if I wanted to push for a specific plot that involves the destruction of a player city, I would contact the owner of the city to see if they would be interested in such a plot, or if there’s a way to spin it such that we can both be excited about it. Lots of players want to destroy their own city, if there’s a good plot and if you just ask lol. It usually involves the buildup of backstories too, so it’s unlikely to be a surprise. If I just went in guns blazing, I would most likely be faced with HAHA NOPE and have my face blasted by 10 years of canon by 10 different people invested in the city, or, no one would acknowledge the attack, making it pointless. The community self-corrects in this sense. In this shared setting, what constitutes as truth (of lore) is what people accept and then in turn use in their own writing.

On a smaller scale, I may be able to push my way through one or two newer characters/settings, but meanwhile making people unhappy and not being able to affect too much of the larger lore anyway. No doubt, I may feel superior and powerful for a short period of time, but I won’t get anywhere important. In short, collaboration is the way to go for lasting and in-depth plots.

But I feel like we are just rehashing topics that have been visited before..

Edited by jaistlyn

20 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

Let's say I've spent a significant number of hours writing about this characters.  A sprinkling of drama, a dash of intrigue - I've devoted my time to setting my character up for interesting stuff.

Then, in one post, in two sentences riddled with spelling and grammar mistakes, a random dude, who I've been aware of for all of three minutes, tries to murder the everliving daylights out of the character I've spent so long setting up for all this cool stuff.

I like everything you said and just wanted to comment on this in particular, because although the hyperbole makes it easier to underscore the point you're making, I want to emphasize that the point is not lost even if you mitigate some of the peripheral behavior

If it's 5 paragraphs with good spelling and no grammar mistakes, but still a random dude you've been aware of for all of three minutes, or five days, or two months, the end result is still the same. Although a certain amount of polish to the post content itself makes it more palatable, a shoehorn is a shoehorn. But if you take this end result of "our characters must come into conflict" and instead I spend multiple posts, perhaps even multiple threads, tracking down your character so that they can get into a show down, that's a tasty meal

However, this is an organic reaction to content already put down (your character raided a city, my character is a LEO going after your character) and not an abstractedly spontaneous happening that pits us against one another in what is presumably the opening scene. That's more like your evil character just murdered someone and oh look it's the Dark Knight up there in the rafters descending on you with righteous fury. Even though the nature of the character make sense to be antagonistic to one another, I still see the shape of a shoehorn

Also this hits on something regarding the cost of character creation for this particular forum. Some sites require that you start your character at 0 and literally level up and literally buy items through a point market, and that's what justified my ability to hammer you despite you only knowing me for three minutes. Alexandrian made a character in the noble class and then spent half a dozen threads building them up. But someone else could make a noble and their first act be to target Alexandrian's noble. There was next to no cost for my character, no real attachment, so I don't mind throwing him at you and not caring if he lives or dies - your character is another matter entirely

And run that cycle again if you choose to be a human and I a phoenix capable of resurrection. Even if we have the same character cost, the same amount of time building them up, character death costs a lot less for me than for you by design. It isn't really sensible to weight them the same

Edited by supernal