supernal

General chat thread

Call me crazy, but I'm not sold on the premise that arguments based on "should and shouldn't" are particularly relevant here.

Let's talk absolutism.

There is no god of roleplay.  When you die, an Adventure League certified dungeon master won't grade how strictly you adhered to some arbitrary rp ideal.  In various, contemporary cultures, on the other hand, people place great emphasis on how well one person treats another.

I could, at any moment, send my super-violent character, Caeceila, into a battle scene and watch her steamroll characters with very valid power and skill sets.  I've built her around site lore, namely Triat Gaianism (I would have had her take the form of a wyrm in A Cure For What Aleth You, but I couldn't get over the "no legs" bit (I kind of regret that decision)), with a thematic set of abilities that just so happen to be particularly potent.  It is probable that I will accumulate a large number of canon troops to back her up shortly.  Already, I have heavily implied that if/when I field troops with her, their expertise will be in air supremacy and artillery bombardment.  I'm looking forward to creating a canon carrier-class airship outfitted with mass drivers and a magitech pulsed-detonation engine for her use.

If a player with a martial artist is looking for a fight and I send in three squadrons of airships to drop napalm on the area, artillery to shell it between passes, and have my carrier-class airship fire mass drivers at the martial artist, am I treating that player well?

No!  I'm not!  A little banter OoC is all well and good, but this isn't the Kobayashi Maru!  The martial artist isn't ready to Captain Kirk his/her/its way out of there, and this probably isn't what the player intended while typing the OP and selecting the Open option.

If we treat people, as opposed to characters, with Open threads poorly, there will be a dearth of Open threads.  I recently stuck a post in a Port Caelum thread in which Caeceila attempted to ship Enrele into Port Caelum.  I sensed, from the IC response, that this wasn't something the people running Port Caelum wanted to deal with and didn't push it any further.  My ultimate goal was to alert them, OoC, that my character will eventually come for Dredge while contributing a post/set of posts for any canonization requirements that may apply to the thread.  I didn't go and call them out for allowing one of The Courier's characters into Port Caelum in the same thread without batting an eye while mine immediately fell under great scrutiny because the port was, purportedly, closed to visitors even though The Courier's character was clearly a visitor who had recently arrived at Port Caelum.  Why?  I didn't want to force story on another person.  I don't want to ruin someone's fun.  I don't want to beat up their characters and steal their IC stuff from them if we are not having fun doing it.

I want five(ish) things when I'm rping.  In no particular order, these five(ish) things are:

1. I want to have fun.
  2. I want others to have fun.
  3. I want to contribute to a memorable story that keeps others interested in rping with me (ties back to 1 and, hopefully, 2).
  4. I want to see others take stories in unforeseen directions (ties back to 1 and 2), and I want to see others advance their own stories through character development (ties back to 1 and 2)
  5. I want to improve my writing abilities.

If I treat others poorly, I'm missing the mark on Element 2 and, most likely, Elements 3 and 4.  If I force combat on people, I'm treating them poorly.  Thus, I fail to meet my goals as a roleplayer.

I believe most roleplayers have similar goals.

Lemme tell you about something I've had experience with elsewhere.

For a long time, I played a bunch of villains.  They were part of an evil organization.  The evil organization's base of operations was a giant, insane eldritch entity.  Two good organizations opposed the one evil organization.  One day, they decided to team up and kick in the front door.  They proceeded to beat up the villains and then leave.

This wasn't enough for one guy.  He had his heart set on killing the giant, insane eldritch entity.  The eldritch entity losing wasn't enough; it was perma or else in this guy's mind.  When the player of the eldritch entity denied the perma, this guy was erupted with salt.  He banned anyone from playing characters affiliated with the evil organization in "his" city.  He didn't even play in or manage "his" city, and it was one of two cities on the forum.

I cite this as an example of how failure to treat others with due consideration and, incidentally, failure to correct bad rp practices before they become ingrained can impact not just the people actively engaged in an rp but large segments of the rp community if not the rp community as a whole.

4 minutes ago, Rabbit said:

My ever deviating sleep schedule proves that statement wrong.

Now talk to me about how alligators and sharks haven't greatly diverged from their branch on the evolutionary tree, and/or how dinosaurs ended up as farm chickens. I guess success and progress aren't interchangeable hmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMM!

edit - it may have come across as sarcastic but that was really me coming to the conclusion as I was typing it out

Edited by supernal

2 minutes ago, supernal said:

Now talk to me about how alligators and sharks haven't greatly diverged from their branch on the evolutionary tree, and/or how dinosaurs ended up as farm chickens. I guess success and progress aren't interchangeable hmmmmmmmmmmmMMMMM!

Looks like this is needed in the general chat, send Frank Zappa my apologies. Looks like my bad sleep schedule can come in handy.

burn-heal-spell-card-o-first-aid-burn-cr

55 minutes ago, Sorano said:

Well, I'm absolutely tired of sneezing! 😁

Sneezing opens up pathways some might consider to be natural.

Edited by Roen