supernal

General chat thread

3 minutes ago, desolate milkshake said:

One party concedes to the other party's dance because we're an enlightened group of beneficent roleplayers whose pro-social values has ascended beyond thinking about interactions in terms of winners and losers.

This is correct because there is literally no way anyone who participates in a dance-off RP loses.

Edit: also I just want to add this actual semi-serious possible discussion topic I raised before the topic of dance-offs before I go sleep

• also on the subj of politics, yknow how empires usually expand through conquering and imperialism and other kinda unethical means
  • it'd be fun to see a genuinely competent government expand through a non-hostile, purely peaceful way, with all absorbed entities willingly accepting rule under its banner

Edited by Csl

3 minutes ago, desolate milkshake said:

One party concedes to the other party's dance because we're an enlightened group of beneficent roleplayers whose pro-social values has ascended beyond thinking about interactions in terms of winners and losers.

Dibs on the Viennese Waltz, the unarguably most graceful and beautiful and non pareil of all possible dances 

Unfortunately the citizens of one nation refuse to accept the other nation's dance of the tango, and vice versa for the former's waltz. In time, the differences in tempo, timing, and style prove irreconcilable and the two rulers are forced out of power, and flee into the mountains to live out the rest of their lives in harmony. 

Many years later, a video showcasing a new form of dance fusion of both styles appears mysteriously in the kingdoms and brings peace once more.

Edited by Fierach

I would like to have a discussion on discussion.

What is the best way to discuss something on this site?

Discussion etiquette?

When you are discussing something are you also eating and drinking?

What are your thoughts on thoughts?

Hoping to crowdsource responses.

Pretty damn good. Shot a good bit of trouble and was able to help strategy wise on a few things other people in other teams were running up against. I didn’t solve the issue outright but got everyone a little closer. That was nice! 

21 hours ago, Die Shize said:

I would like to have a discussion on discussion.

What is the best way to discuss something on this site?

Discussion etiquette?

When you are discussing something are you also eating and drinking?

What are your thoughts on thoughts?

Hoping to crowdsource responses.

Relevant actually, metadiscourse was a thing discussed a lot in one of my classes about communication theory (and a source of headaches for a lot of us). It's actually important to talk about how we talk about talking (not that comm is limited to talking) because communication as a field started out as an amalgam of theories from other fields like psychology, sociology, economics, etc., and there are hundreds of different and often incompatible theories on how comm works, the nature of comm, etc. For example, there's a whole argument on whether or not it's possible to not communicate. There's a need to distinguish communication as a discipline from other academic disciplines, since most of a time comm is just seen as a means to an end.

However this one dude proposed a constitutive view of communication which views comm as being the actual thing that constitutes / makes up social reality. This view supports the existence of multiple traditions of comm - different ways of viewing comm, since social reality can be constituted in different ways. For example, the Cybernetic tradition of comm views communication purely as information transfer, while the Phenomenological tradition views communication as shared experience, and the Rhetorical tradition views comm as artful verbal discourse and use of logic.

This is somewhat relatable to the various incompatible magic systems and views of the metaphysical Val supports, but that's another longer discussion.

/i'll stop being a nerd now and cut short my gushing over school short thx for listening to my ted talk :'D