supernal

General chat thread

12 minutes ago, supernal said:

Sapir-Whorf!

that theory's also v v cool but the one I'm referring to is Craig's constitutive view of communication. The constitutive view can be used as a metamodel, as an overarching theory under which comm theories fall under (to take the magic system:comm model theory further, universal laws of magic lol)

A neat example of the consti view of comm is the communicative constitution of organizations. Basically it states that communication is the thing that constructs organizations and organizational structures.

Like a certain IC meeting on a certain medieval archipelago that resulted in a new government structure 👀

All of this just drives in the point that the pen is mightier than the sword. Also bc personally, delivering sick burns is more interesting than stabbing someone.

There was also an interesting reading on how metaphors are an important aspect of how we view reality. The same reading had the phrase "Construct your own reality to see" which is way more metal than a comm theory textbook has any right to be

/ok stopping nerding out for real

14 minutes ago, Fierach said:

I personally like delivering sick burns while stabbing somebody.

Now to build a flamethrower into a pen so I can do that on so many levels.

Add an Ebola delivery system to that and those burns would get very sick indeed 

4 minutes ago, EpicRome23 said:

445970.jpg

True true true 

Just that most times picking up the pen is the most effective strategy, that’s what makes it mightier (is my take). What’s Sun Tzu say about winning wars without fighting? That it’s like the best victory ever or something?

More at valucre.com 

Edited by supernal

58 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

Idea for Outreach to present gift bags to new members

Hide contents

IMG_E6052.JPG

STOP RIGHT THERE, POSTER SCUM

THIS IMAGE HAS BEEN LABELED FOR NONCOMMERCIAL REUSE

YOU MAY PASS

Tidy little swag bag, that 

12 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

@supernal

@Tyler

I am legit excited for Mandalorian.

Am I alone?

I looks way better than any of the movies have been, and certainly better than the upcoming movie looks...

Disappointed to see the main character shooting Stormtroopers though. Can Disney not read the audience and realize over half of Star Wars fans prefer the Empire to the rebels? lol

Edited by Tyler

1 hour ago, Tyler said:

I looks way better than any of the movies have been, and certainly better than the upcoming movie looks...

Disappointed to see the main character shooting Stormtroopers though. Can Disney not read the audience and realize over half of Star Wars fans prefer the Empire to the rebels? lol

Totally. Trailers are trailers but what we're getting teased with seems pretty suggestive as far as what to expect.

My chime on that next point is that I'm in the number of Star Wars fans who prefers variety in a franchise filled with it than the same old Stormtroopers and rebels and Empire all over again.

Then again, the setting is what it is and they're already going for something different by focusing on a non-Force character. Unless, of course, the Mandalorian finds out that he is Force-sensitive and his mother was a Jedi who was killed by banthas before he was born.