supernal

General chat thread

If you're feeling a touch of writer's block, why not try out one of Bernadette Mayer's writing experiments? Most toe the edge of nonsense, which I think is fantastic. If your creative is blocked, you need to let it play. Check out #28. Sounds familiar, no?

Spoiler

Experiment with writing in a group, collaborative work: a group writing individually off of each other's work over a long period of time in the same room; a group contributing to the same work, sentence by sentence or line by line; one writer being fed information and ideas while the other writes; writing, leaving instructions for another writer to fill in what you can't describe; compiling a book or work structured by your own language around the writings of others; or a group working and writing off of each other's dream writing.

While reading up on "glittering generalities", I came across the idea that there are 7 core devices in propaganda. So here's what to look out for in the propaganda you likely consume daily!

1. Glittering generalities
  2. Name calling
  3. Testimonials
  4. Plain folks device
  5. Band wagon
  6. Transfer
  7. Card stacking

35 minutes ago, Grubbistch said:

I wish there was a way to feel less mentally tired without having to like, go off and blow hundreds of dollars i don't have on some spa place or something ya know? Is that why people do yoga, or generally any other exercise stuff?

Pretty much. I mean I don't know if that's the capital w WHY but it helps. Physical exercise alleviates stress and also the improved cardiovascular usually means more physical and mental energy 

Also there have been some studies indicating that as little as ten minutes of meditation a day can also improve mental states 

1 hour ago, Grubbistch said:

I wish there was a way to feel less mentally tired without having to like, go off and blow hundreds of dollars i don't have on some spa place or something ya know? Is that why people do yoga, or generally any other exercise stuff?

Here’s a pretty decent article that I found. https://www-m.cnn.com/2016/01/13/health/endorphins-exercise-cause-happiness/index.html

I think the general idea is that you make your mind feel better if the body is in more pain that it is

Guest TheMinecrafter

Any idea how to get back into rping? I'm having trouble doing that.

Sometimes people make the argument that words don't matter, basically that they aren't "sticks and stones", or that word choice doesn't matter, but I have learned about loaded language my friends, and the use of this throughout the lifecycle of politics tells me, whispers to me, of the power of words 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loaded_language

Seriously though, the tactics! 

Edited by supernal

Sometimes I find myself giving up on other Role players I used to really want to write with, always promising to post or beg me to do something ic with for them to wash out and never produce. 

Suppose that is the way, making new role play buddies to take their places. I just hate giving up on others.