Acies ab Vesania

The Valucre Photo Album

I mean, I was about 99% sure with the Twins cap combined with the flannel shirt, but I mean, you could have been someone from Kansas City who finally came to their senses or something! ?

Also Skol!, if you are football-inclined.

Edited by Tyler

21 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I mean, I was about 99% sure with the Twins cap combined with the flannel shirt, but I mean, you could have been someone from Kansas City who finally came to their senses or something! ?

Also Skol!, if you are football-inclined.

Eww, football. 

I'm more a baseball and soccer fan tbh.

I don't have any kids, but here is a pic of my husband and I! He is my everything and my world ❤️ 

dT3axVj.jpg

And here are some pictures from our trip to Italy last year! 

The Roman Forum 

xYajZPr.jpg

The Colloseum

sC7OA6v.jpg

Island of Capri and the Mediterranean 

YCFwOeE.jpg

Managed to get a shot of some jelly fish too off the island of Capri..

Feimvu3.jpg

Edited by Malaysia NightReaver

So while exploring the world, I found this stray dog that seemed to like me a lot. I might in fact be Snow White. Then I had all the funzies on the roller coaster. But then, while tubing all my friends left me. It was a good time.

20190722_204140.jpgSnapchat-1934445748.jpg                                                  Snapchat-1330045504.jpg?width=279&height

2 hours ago, Praetorian said:

So while exploring the world, I found this stray dog that seemed to like me a lot. I might in fact be Snow White. Then I had all the funzies on the roller coaster. But then, while tubing all my friends left me. It was a good time.

20190722_204140.jpgSnapchat-1934445748.jpg                                                  Snapchat-1330045504.jpg?width=279&height

What kind of dog is that? Must be a new breed. ?

Have you ever wondered what arresting a free fall with your hands does to your body? Find out in today's episode of Dragon Ball not Z.

Story time!

So I've mellowed out a lot in my old age and I don't talk about myself nearly as much as I use to. However, for the purposes of today's story I'm going to provide some context photos.

So I'm a marine inspector, and I look at boats, really the insides of them. A lot of what I look at, looks like this:

20190507_145036.jpg?width=1391&height=67720190507_145125.jpg?width=1391&height=67720190508_092210.jpg?width=1202&height=677

20190508_093527.jpg?width=329&height=67620190508_093514.jpg?width=329&height=676

20190510_103855.jpg?width=329&height=676

This spaces can range anywhere from 60 foot vertical clearance to only 18 inch vertical clearance. Some are extremely wide, others are remarkably narrow. Most of them are unimaginably dark, save for the flash light I bring with me.

Today, I had removed my hard hat, which has a lamp mounted on it, to access a tank. I had to remove my hard hat because I couldn't physically fit into the opening with it on. Because I didn't have my headlamp, I was limited to the light provided by my flashlight. However, due to how I had to, essentially, fold my body up to get through the opening, the flashlight wasn't in the space with me. So as I squeezed in and twisted and rotated about, until I finally got one foot in and on a ladder, I was functionally blind.

Climbing down a few rungs, I took a step down and found solid ground below me. Still unable to really see, I took a step back with my other foot and it landed on a knife edge. We use the term knife edge to describe a vertical piece of metal only a few millimeters thick that extends vertically a few inches from a horizontal plane. Well, as I let go of the ladder, the knife edge crumbled. Generally speaking, steel isn't supposed to crumble. And so, I fell.

I can't really say that time slowed down, that I had a bunch of time to think about what was happening. I know that I was aware of the fact that nothing was beneath my feet, and that I was descending, but I couldn't have told you how far I had descended or how long it took for my arms to flail out. I certainly don't remember grabbing onto the knife edge, but I did.

Because my head was well below the horizontal plan I was standing on, and I'm about 6 foot tall, I'm assuming I fell somewhere between 6-8 feet before I stopped falling. There was probably another 12 or so feet below that I could have fallen, and I most likely would have ended up hitting my head.

So here are some pictures of what happens when 200 lbs falls about 6 feet and comes to an abrupt stop thanks to grabbing a ledge. FYI the discoloration on my hands isn't blood, the staining is from the rust. 

20190828_112446.jpg 20190828_112439.jpg?width=329&height=676 20190828_112435.jpg?width=329&height=67620190828_112449.jpg?width=329&height=676

So there are a few larger cuts that are easily visible, however, what can't be seen is a lot of the smaller ones that didn't penetrate all of the layers of skin. Furthermore what isn't captured is the joint and finger pain. All of the knuckles on my fingers feel exactly how a toe does after stubbing it. Additionally, my finger mobility is partially reduced right now, enough that I had trouble gripping my steering wheel on the drive back home. 

There was pretty minimal bleeding, even from the deeper lacerations, I largely assume that this is because of the amount of pulverized rust that got into the cuts. 

Anyway, long story short, I'm fairly confident that if I had fallen for double the distance and caught myself, that my hands probably wouldn't have held up very well and I'm not entirely sure that the ligaments wouldn't have ripped/torn. I also, probably, would have had much deeper lacerations on my hands and fingers.

I'm assuming that the cuts on my forearms probably happened as I was falling and trying to find something to grab. Most likely I scrapped the knife edge a few times before my fingers found purchase. This assumption is largely derived from the fact that my left arm is covered in scratches going in two different directions, which would be impossible unless my arm was wildly flailing.

As an aside, I don't think I'll ever write a literal cliffhanger scene, I've come to accept that if my character is going to fall, they're probably just fucking falling.

P.S. For anyone with misplaced concerns, I'm perfectly fine. This is probably one of the least painful things to happen to me on the job, and all in all the experience wasn't particularly scary.