supernal

Terrenus military chatter v.2

35 minutes ago, Tex said:

Question, and I do apologize if it's been answered, but that's a hell of a lot of reading to backtrack through on top of reading all the relevant military articles: So is there any particular equipment rundowns? At most I've been able to figure out that there are some sections of the military which specialize in specific weapons, systems, and scenarios, but they never really explain what specific tools and weapons. For example, I intend to make a Sniper, but I have no idea what the limitations to firepower here are, or what the weapons in Terrenus are really based on if anything at all. Like, could Christian(my character) use, say, a good ol' Tac-338 or a .308 WinMag? what about what is essentially a mini 'Railrifle', sending metal through the barrel and downrange via EMF's a la a railgun. what about armor? And what about body armor? Would they get MOLLE body armor vests similar to SEALS and similar forces combat gear? Is it entirely up to us within reason? I'm sure magic could make all of this junk possible anyway, but I want to know exactly what is the base here so I don't go ruining whatever theme you guys have established. Is most of the military 'sword and board' style, or are firearms heavily incorporated? 

As an aside, I was interested in seeing what is the equivalent of a SEALs branch here. For all intents and purposes I saw the Peacekeepers as 'the most elite fighting force' in Terrenus, if not all of Valucre, therefore making them the defacto seal squad. But I noticed that in function peacekeepers are something of a cross between a politician and a soldier. So i wanted to know if I could maybe write up something for this super elite branch that would in essence be considered Special Forces, more or less.

I'll let Supernal answer to more specific/ detailed questions but as a broad overview of what I know:

Military equipment is not necessarily static across all personnel, even including people within the same branch. Other than the equipment mentioned in the Terrenus Military article HERE, your character can be wearing pretty much whatever they want. I've seen military members be armed with a variety of armor from a mecha suit to a literal suit that's bullet proof.The type of sniper rifle you use can vary with whatever you'd like your character to use, however keep in mind that modern weapons don't generally work in Terrenus due to the arcanosphere so you're encourage to come up with alternative methods than a basic firearm you can just pull from the real world. If you want to do use real world weapon anyways, Tyler came up with a method of applying the lore into hard numbers.  

I guess the political aspect kind of depends on how you use your Peacekeeper. Not all PKs are the same. Saron is more spy/ infiltration oriented, so SEAL might be a good relation, but I can't see her really being political. Zeph is like a Gaian Cardinal, so definitely not political. More like a religious fighter, I guess. Julius is more about full force attacks and counter-terrorism, so I'd relate him closer to a Ranger from the 75th reg. Michael's just a crazy kid with a weird eye lmfao They're the best of the best, but not necessarily the same thematically, if that makes sense. Back in the days when each megacity had a PK, they acted as a sort "Guardian" and protected it from invasions while the Regent handled all the political matters, though it's possible some PKs stepped in to be a more apolitical figure but none come to mind. 

Edited by Ataraxy

Oh okie. I musta' misinterpreted. A lot of these assumptions are based on memory fragments from years ago, when I was a bit more involved in the forum. Or at least a lot more curious. I believe it was because PK'sto some degree exercised some form of executive control over rp's, that their function IC may have also sort of reflected this in 'executive' positions, I.E. important political figures. But since you corrected me, I guess the PK's wouldn't exactly be the SEALs of Terrenus. Though because of that vacuum, I guess that gives me an opportunity to pioneer our equivalent to Delta Team or SEALs or JSOC. Unless, of course, we already have what is essentially Super Special Forces specializing in unconventional warfare.

Edited by Tex

On 1/26/2019 at 3:06 PM, jaistlyn said:

@supernal yup, exactly! Motive is investigation for now, eventually likely vengeance + justice.

The by the book answer is that this is a misuse / misappropriation of military resources. Depending on the end result (if this ends up to him murdering someone vs it ends up with him catching a criminal and bringing them to overall justice), the punishment can range from suspension with pay, without pay, verbal warning, mark on a record, a fine, community service, short-term holding in a military barracks, long-term holding in a federal prison following a dishonorable discharge, compulsory military service beyond the minimum 

The not-by-the-book answer is that this will also depending on who catches him and / or the commanding officer's personal biases and / or choices of narrative vs choices of realism. Like I know it's illegal for cops to use cop searches for anything but professional duty but also that it's a pretty common trope for private detectives or ex-cops to use a friendly relationship with a cop to run off-the-books searches or get information without necessarily making a whole investigation about it 

Does that help, more or less? We can come up with something specific once the thread is over and we can get a handle on the scope of impact

46 minutes ago, Tex said:

Oh okie. I musta' misinterpreted. A lot of these assumptions are based on memory fragments from years ago, when I was a bit more involved in the forum. Or at least a lot more curious. I believe it was because PK'sto some degree exercised some form of executive control over rp's, that their function IC may have also sort of reflected this in 'executive' positions, I.E. important political figures. But since you corrected me, I guess the PK's wouldn't exactly be the SEALs of Terrenus. Though because of that vacuum, I guess that gives me an opportunity to pioneer our equivalent to Delta Team or SEALs or JSOC. Unless, of course, we already have what is essentially Super Special Forces specializing in unconventional warfare.

Ohhhh I getchya. 

I would say that the reason PKs can exercise an aura of "executive control" is because their position in the military is essentially generals, for lack of a more clear comparison. So they do have a lot of pull but it's less "Department of State" pull and more "high ranking officer" pull. 

Also, it's possible that you might be conflating the Canon Defense Team with Peacekeepers. While it's true that Peacekeepers are generally used as an IC way of reflecting the Team's OOC position/ will, not all PKs are played by a member of the Canon Defense Team. A perfect example is myself. While I was allowed to have a Peacekeeper, I'm not on the CD team. Essentially this means that my PK can have influence on an RP but only in such a way that any ranking military character would + special character benefits. The "executive control over rps" tends to be enacted by a member of the CD team when some part of canon is being broken or threatened.

Basically though the two do overlap, they're separate in a manner that might be a bit confusing lol

Hope that helped!

58 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Ohhhh I getchya. 

I would say that the reason PKs can exercise an aura of "executive control" is because their position in the military is essentially generals, for lack of a more clear comparison. So they do have a lot of pull but it's less "Department of State" pull and more "high ranking officer" pull. 

Also, it's possible that you might be conflating the Canon Defense Team with Peacekeepers. While it's true that Peacekeepers are generally used as an IC way of reflecting the Team's OOC position/ will, not all PKs are played by a member of the Canon Defense Team. A perfect example is myself. While I was allowed to have a Peacekeeper, I'm not on the CD team. Essentially this means that my PK can have influence on an RP but only in such a way that any ranking military character would + special character benefits. The "executive control over rps" tends to be enacted by a member of the CD team when some part of canon is being broken or threatened.

Basically though the two do overlap, they're separate in a manner that might be a bit confusing lol

Hope that helped!

Great explanation! 

@Tex depending on how long it’s been you may be remembering when there was no canon defense team (what Ataraxy is mentioning). Since then I’ve separated those more GM like capabilities into the canon defense team and kept the PK as a high ranked IC military response team. I’ve also increased the number of PK to allow for more zone defense than stationary assignments 

So that may explain what you’re remembering and why but ataraxy has provided a pretty solid lay of the land as it is currently 

WRT the above, in case anyone wants to add to or clarify on what I've said about the sheet, here's what I said in response

On 1/31/2019 at 4:13 PM, supernal said:

There's no need for sheet review really but I read through persona, history, and up to v23. No red flags on it, and the flavor you've got built up around the circumstances of his birth and the inclusion of crystals and gaia references is great

Small typo here: hEdward’s Hyperlight Core

On abilities I will say that a lot of times whether an ability is OP/breaks mild powers has less to do with the nature of the ability then how it's used. Someone that claims to be able to earth bend is just fine, until they're slamming mountain ranges on top of people or shifting the earth's axis. So on the surface these abilities are all fine, interesting, and inter-linked in intriguing ways, just make sure to keep application in mind and don't take my general thumbs up on the sheet as an all-inclusive thumbs up on every potential application of what you've got down in your sheet. That's one of the reasons why sheets aren't treated as canon material

I stopped reading at Type so if there's specific material that you want to get my thoughts on let me know

Were my general, overview thoughts on the first half of the sheet. With that in mind I said that Tex looks ready to go!

Because of the nature of the plot in question I forgot to update here but, even though they've been doing it for at least a few months, let's welcome @Veloci-Rapture

You're making the nation proud!

And of course @Tex if no one's pieced that together yet from the above

Edited by supernal

15 hours ago, supernal said:

Welcome to @Moon Owl and @Unicorgi - our newest recruits

Both are FIST agents 

@Ataraxy - one of you one of you! 

Thanks, I was looking at possible first assignments and found this particular one interesting:

Hell's Gate

Class C: After a quarantine has been declared in a sector of the city, military operatives, in particular FIST, continue the investigation. Which side are you on?

Now I have to say that my knowledge of the quarantine and the specifics of the current situation regarding it, however with Marcus just joined/drafted into the FIST organization this would not be totally unrealistic. However if anyone has a brief recap of the situation or can provide a reference where I can learn a bit more about the situation that would be highly appreciated. 

Also if anyone would want to join me for this quest that would be great, I will post here first since I'd prefer to do this one with other military personnel rather than with a civilian character. Let me know if you're interested. For this one I'd prefer to just make it a 1v1 or perhaps three people at tops. 

If you're interested, here's a link to a brief profile (more will be added as he progresses) of Marcus

Thanks for your time!

30 minutes ago, Moon Owl said:

Thanks, I was looking at possible first assignments and found this particular one interesting:

Hell's Gate

Class C: After a quarantine has been declared in a sector of the city, military operatives, in particular FIST, continue the investigation. Which side are you on?

Now I have to say that my knowledge of the quarantine and the specifics of the current situation regarding it, however with Marcus just joined/drafted into the FIST organization this would not be totally unrealistic. However if anyone has a brief recap of the situation or can provide a reference where I can learn a bit more about the situation that would be highly appreciated. 

Also if anyone would want to join me for this quest that would be great, I will post here first since I'd prefer to do this one with other military personnel rather than with a civilian character. Let me know if you're interested. For this one I'd prefer to just make it a 1v1 or perhaps three people at tops. 

If you're interested, here's a link to a brief profile (more will be added as he progresses) of Marcus

Thanks for your time!

Oh man what a throw back! Taking me back 2 years lmao surprised thats still up there.

So quick context, that thread is essentially part 2 of this thread: