supernal

Books on the mind

On 9/26/2018 at 12:47 PM, supernal said:

The elements of style is public domain: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/37134

Philosophy of style is also public domain: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5849

As you can see from goodreads reviews, a lot of the advice here is sound and does not seem used by the author. Which makes it funny. But is still very nice 

Tamora Pierce's Tortall series! It's hands down my favorite series ever. Realistic combat, realistic romance, good magic system, badass female protagonists who are so well written, guys, increasingly complex worldbuilding, a talking cat, a dragon called Kitten, and just. If you're looking for a good fantasy series, read it.

I am currently on the second book to a series by Melissa Caruso. Her first Tethered Mage was such a good read, it wasn't hard to move through the story, now I am on the second book Defiant Heir. Great series in a land of magic and fear of mages. 

I am currently reading "the Life-changing Magic of Tidying Up: the Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing" by Marie Kondo, who is famous for her KonMari style of organizing.

I was curious to apply it to my life, and so far so good. I purge my closet of a lot of clothes I simply don't wear, keeping clothes I do (the jist is to keep things that spark happiness and joy within you). Safe to say I kept a lot of things I didn't need to keep.

The thing I like about it, is that it's not just a physical purge--but a mental and emotional one too. You start with the easiest categories and end with the hardest ones to gain momentum. I'm at a point in my life where my room is a place that is full of stuff. I am tired of stuff. I liked stuff when I was a kid. A lot of things I plan to donate. A lot of my Disney stuff is going to my god daughters, save a few precious things.

I highly recommend it, if nothing else for the sake of doing it and simplifying your life.

On 10/11/2018 at 2:57 PM, supernal said:

Philosophy of style is also public domain: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5849

As you can see from goodreads reviews, a lot of the advice here is sound and does not seem used by the author. Which makes it funny. But is still very nice 

The prince is also public domain: https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1232

IQ84 and Kafka on the Shore, both by Haruki Murakami, and Lincoln in the Bardo by George Sanders have been my absolute favorite reads this year. 

Murakami's writing has a stoic elegance and a way of transforming one's perception of events both ordinary and odd into a seamlessly transcendent state. There's almost something gentle about the way he guides you through his stories. Moments of violence were never gratuitous. They simply were; they were moments that existed, and held as much weight as a strange moon or a talking cat. Subjects that would have been horrifying or campy, or both, in another writer's hands were surreal in Murakami's voice. 

Lincoln in the Bardo is told in dialogue format, illustrated with often contradictory letters and statements, and concerns itself with a pair of ghosts that are trying to look after the soul of Abraham Lincoln's dead son while they exist in a state of denial regarding their own deaths. Reading it is like reading a more narrative structure of poetry. Instead of speaking, it sings, and its story is strangely beautiful. 

Trevor Noah's Born a Crime, because Trevor Noah is so smart and funny and is telling such an important story and has these really cute dimples and what were we talking about again?

I'm also reading The Secret History by Donna Tartt again. I love this book so much. So much. Donna Tartt has this incredible ability to perfectly construct living, breathing characters and scenery that, simultaneously is constructed with hyper clarity while feeling as though you're staring at the world through the lens of someone waking from a half forgotten dream. This would be my third time reading it, and I'm still discovering new details.