supernal

My only issue with this is posting in color or doing extra stuff like images. The only way that I can get things to post in color now when I post from work (using my mobile phone mind you) is using html tags. Mostly a QoL thing for me tbh but I approve of this change anyway because reading black on black text is super annoying.

2 minutes ago, Dolor Aeternum said:

My only issue with this is posting in color or doing extra stuff like images. The only way that I can get things to post in color now when I post from work (using my mobile phone mind you) is using html tags. Mostly a QoL thing for me tbh but I approve of this change anyway because reading black on black text is super annoying.

I've added the "text color" button to the text editor for "small" devices

Let me know if that eases the pain a bit

On 8/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, Dolor Aeternum said:

The only way that I can get things to post in color now when I post from work (using my mobile phone mind you) is using html tags. 

May I ask, how exactly did you use the html tags to put color in your posts? I use exact color codes for my posts, and this would help greatly.

Edited by HotPizza

test 

Testing to see if BBcode works. If it doesn't, I'd suggest we try and get that enabled if possible because when we draft stuff up in any document type, we generally use italicize here, bold there, etc. Now that it pastes plain from any source, it'd be good to have the option to add bbcode brackets where necessary as we draft up whatever we intend to present. Better that than to post and go down the whole thing again bolding and italicizing everything we intended to have some formatting attached to it. 

Edit: Pasted bbcode works! All is well again in life. 

Overall this is more reliable long term than trying to bring back some kind of rich text formatting in the future since that wont apply to everything. BBcode can be added to any note/word medium and it'll come over simple and clean. 

Edited by LastLight

I was under the impression that the forum software does not have bbcode?

Edit: ... wow. Lemme try italics.

Now bold and italics. Now for a URL. Don't worry, this is just Google.

Now a color I believe works well on both dark and light theme. Wait, the color didn't work. Drat. Only certain colors work, apparently red and blue work, but not goldenrod or firebrick. Even carrot doesn't work, and it's a forum default color.

Still, it's great that i can type a draft with bold and italic in Notepad, and paste it into a post, and everything will work perfectly. 

If I had anything more to ask, it would be the ability to edit posts in BBcode form. As in, when I edit the post, I can see all the BBcode that was originally used in the post. That way, I can edit colors by swapping out specific elements instead of retyping all the code or using inbuilt forum functions (defeating the point of BBcode).

Edited by HotPizza

I...I miss the subtext and footnote option, only because now that I'm introducing a bazillion new deities, I've taken to adding footnotes about who is who for those who may be interested. But, I imagine it was sorely underused (except Cody, cause he's silly like that). I feel like it'd be neat when introducing new species ICly before being plopped into a lore article...I wish I had thought of that sooner when those options were still available.

Its gotten much easier to read black on black, tho'.

Oh, so that's why when I was trying to update my RP list, it wouldn't work. Gall darn dark theme-using scum wrecking things for me...

Now I need to reformat the whole thing so the table still works. Off to research BBcode I guess. lol

Edited by Tyler

11 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Oh, so that's why when I was trying to update my RP list, it wouldn't work. Gall darn dark theme-using scum wrecking things for me...

Now I need to reformat the whole thing so the table still works. Off to research BBcode I guess. lol

Not necessarily!

This is a feedback thread after all. If people are saying they would rather deal with the imperfections that come from having a rich editor vs the imperfections that come from having plain text forced through the editor, then I can switch it back. Think of this more as a "tell me wtf you think" kind of thread

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Not necessarily!

This is a feedback thread after all. If people are saying they would rather deal with the imperfections that come from having a rich editor vs the imperfections that come from having plain text forced through the editor, then I can switch it back. Think of this more as a "tell me wtf you think" kind of thread

I...

Think I'd rather just have straight HTML formatting ability! lol That's actually what I do is I have my table set up in HTML off-sight, then I use a viewer to bring up in formatted form in a browser, then copy that onto my Val post. If I could just copy the HTML coding straight over, that would be even better.

If not, I'm fine with reworking into BBcode, tbh. I much prefer having the code functionality over a rich editor/wysiwyg.

(I just wanted to complain about dark theme users. 😉 )

Edited by Tyler

2 minutes ago, Tyler said:

I...

Think I'd rather just have straight HTML formatting ability! lol That's actually what I do is I have my table set up in HTML off-sight, then I use a viewer to bring up in formatted form in a browser, then copy that onto my Val post. If I could just copy the HTML coding straight over, that would be even better.

If not, I'm fine with reworking into BBcode, tbh. I much prefer having the code functionality over a rich editor/wysiwyg.

(I just wanted to complain about dark theme users. 😉 )

Unfortunately allow straight HTML formatting would open up a security issue in that people could potentially set up cross-site scripting attacks through our editor

Also RE BBCode, to my understanding it's deprecated and not supported through the editor so I assume it checks and runs some kind of conversation rather than actually formatting BBCode (which would explain why it's limited in some respects, like with the font colors HotPizza was mentioning). So I think that whether rich or plain text, the bbcode conversion would still apply

Does that change your individual preference for rich vs plain editor?

25 minutes ago, supernal said:

Unfortunately allow straight HTML formatting would open up a security issue in that people could potentially set up cross-site scripting attacks through our editor

I didn't know that. Blah, that sucks.

25 minutes ago, supernal said:

Also RE BBCode, to my understanding it's deprecated and not supported through the editor so I assume it checks and runs some kind of conversation rather than actually formatting BBCode (which would explain why it's limited in some respects, like with the font colors HotPizza was mentioning). So I think that whether rich or plain text, the bbcode conversion would still apply

Does that change your individual preference for rich vs plain editor?

Yeah. Work had been preventing me from doing it, but I finally tested it to see if I could do a table with BBcode, and I could not. So yes, my preference would be toward restoring the rich text pasting ability.

hello spoops

i think i will post fiery divisive opinionated opinions ok

rich text is godly, it supports copy-pasting fancy formatting and tables

and poor text is just that, poor and broke and oh don't it wish it had some more oomph to it

that oomph is precisely what rich text has

don't you want this site to be prosperous

In real talk: death of rich text means death of formatting (for the most part), and formatting is what gives a lot of posts flavor and style -- something that, I think, would be a great shame to lose. In the very rare cases that things cannot be read, I think a gentle reminder and/or a screenshot and/or a temporary changing of the theme - these sorts of minor inconveniences - are vastly superior to simply straight-up killing off formatting altogether. The trade-off is too supreme.

I was the one who brought up this issue in the first place, because it’s not rare. I’ve heard lots of complains from Val members about it. But since even the developers of the forum cannot not solve the background pasting issue (bleaah), I suppose pasting the background is a lesser evil to me than not being able to copy and paste rich text.