Jotnotes

Not All Floods Involve Water [OOC]

9 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Fair enough, though I was only using those as examples lol

Though, just as a tidbit, while a Spartan couldn't kill another Spartan, they could kill an endless amount of slaves and PoWs. Also in ancient greece they killed weak babies right after they were born so idk if they're the best example lmao but I do see your point. 

However, I think it's pretty obvious that regardless of society and whether or not it has a hierarchy, humanity prefers to watch as a bystander or help indirectly. There is, without doubt, the occasional society or person that opposes this viewpoint. No argument there, but that's certainly not the norm. Putting one's self in danger in order to protect a stranger would be an evolutionary trait that was weeded out as we grew as a species for obvious reasons. It still exists cause it's not a trait so much as a state of mind but still, there's a reason kids get bullied so much. No one wants to step in and become the bullied. It took the United States two years after WW2 started to really get involved and even then it was only because Japan pulled them in. 

Ironically though, this is a pretty big misconception. Most times someone stands up against a bully the bully just stops. Especially if there are onlookers cause one person interfering gives confidence to others.

In the world of Val though, I would assume that survival plays an even larger factor in human interactions because of the higher possibility of death. Citizens die to players all the time. Would you defend a PC against another PC by yourself when both could kill you with a look? (Of course in this scenario I'm looking at it from the PoV of an NPC citizen, not another PC). 

I mean obviously I'm not a psychologist, but I think its pretty safe to say I could kill someone in Val without onlookers attacking me to defend them. The possibility is there, for sure, but I think Neon is right in that they'd probably just call the authorities. (I don't actually know what's going on in the thread. I just found this topic interesting lmao).

Not in Terrenus if someone is respecting the Gaianistic worldview and the adventuring economy. That’s what I mean to underscore when you say something like “humanity prefers”, even if studies support your observations those studies are done in circumstances and against a culture which likely do not exist in the scenario one is trying to extrapolate and apply those findings to

In Valucre it might be that your interfering to aid a kin could win you literal favor with a physically incarnate deity that grants you some attribute or boon, for example. Paladins in D&D are obligated by their alignment to actively do good or risk literally losing the powers their class otherwise grants them. That’s the sort of thing I mean when trying to reference real world studies as a foundational principle for a reply on the psychology of NPCs. Really the lore should tell you how they would respond and you either portray that accurately or don’t (for any number of legitimate and illegitimate reasons). That applies about a thousand times more than the Milgram experiment does imo 

edit - didn’t see your edit lol 

Edited by supernal

Hyperion's Marketplace has a lot of moneys.

Terrenus is current on the cusp of a civil war, and tensions are really high.

People will not visit a city if they don't feel safe.

I am fairly certain that Xylex would get dropped like a sack of kittens of he tried anything more threatening than winding up for a backhand.

1 hour ago, Jotnotes said:

Hyperion's Marketplace has a lot of moneys.

Terrenus is current on the cusp of a civil war, and tensions are really high.

People will not visit a city if they don't feel safe.

I am fairly certain that Xylex would get dropped like a sack of kittens of he tried anything more threatening than winding up for a backhand.

After the display of might he just showed I don’t think a sane person would challenge him for what in the worst case for them was witness to disorderly conduct and some public disturbance 

2 minutes ago, Neondragon7 said:

After the display of might he just showed I don’t think a sane person would challenge him for what in the worst case for them was witness to disorderly conduct and some public disturbance 

:think: 

8 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

Not to say that they would never go against him but a life or death battle against someone who at worst made a half assed threat (seeing he later turned the situation around) to someone else doesn’t seem likely, especially in an area where such behavior is not necessarily  atypical 

Edited by Neondragon7

3 minutes ago, Neondragon7 said:

Not to say that they would never go against him but a life or death battle against someone who at worst made a half assed threat (seeing he later turned the situation around) to someone else doesn’t seem likely, especially in an area where such behavior is not necessarily  atypical 

'Kay.

Yep, it'll be up in a short while (probably gonna take a little time going through it, as I'll also be moving us out of the city and onto the road, and possibly even into our first encounter, if I see fit)

How long did it take all of y'all to realize it says 'Not all Threads Involve Water' in the first post in this OOC Thread?

Anyway, post is up and raring to go! @Bkfootball and @Neondragon7 feel free to post if you will. If not, we will be moving on to actual encounters and stuff on my next post. 

A little thing I always have a hard time with in threads is setting up opportunities to have conversations. Most of the time it's very hard to have a full, meaningful conversation in a roleplay, because you're so expectant on timing, and whether or not other people actually want to write that sort of thing with you. Moreover, it's absolutely ridiculous posting small, bite-sized posts of conversation back and forth, where it threatens to take up an entire page at times.

What are your thoughts on writing out drawn-out conversations in your threads? What do y'all like to do?

Also, and as a minor consequence that will be noted later.

Deus Ex Aizen (the creator of Hyperion) has taken note of the events that have transpired in the Marketplace, and would like them canonized.

Specifically, Xylex is responsible for damages done to a nearby merchant's stall. Repairs are underway, of course, and witnesses were available to describe some potential culprits.

14 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

Also, and as a minor consequence that will be noted later.

Deus Ex Aizen (the creator of Hyperion) has taken note of the events that have transpired in the Marketplace, and would like them canonized.

Specifically, Xylex is responsible for damages done to a nearby merchant's stall. Repairs are underway, of course, and witnesses were available to describe some potential culprits.

Bounty?

Jeeze what is this one piece? 

7 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

Oh, big time.

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Bounty?

Oh well not that I particularly care

Jeeze what is this one piece? 

3 minutes ago, Jotnotes said:

Oh, big time.

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Bounty?