Ataraxy

The Cult of Power [Open]

Image result for anime bloody warriors male

Power.

It doesn't matter where you are in the universe. There is no utopia. No "safe place" that you can hide. The strong will prosper and thrive while the weak will perish. The law of survival is one of absolutes. Always has been, always will be. Regardless of how one of strength might protect or defend another that is weak, the life of the weak is dependent upon the will of the strong. To many, that is worse than death. To have your life dependent on, chained to another is akin to slavery. The weak cannot live unless under the umbrella of the strong. There are no exceptions. Without their Peacekeepers, Terrenus would not stand so strong. Nor its citizens so safe. Those serving Dredge would not be so brave. Would not have the courage to rebel without believing in the protection of they whom they serve. Would the average citizen of Carmine Empire sleep safety without the strong declaring laws and rules? Without the teachers or a savior, how might a weak child defend against a powerful bully? How will a subordinate fight those who sign his pay check? The check that keeps his house his? Who can stop the rulers of Empires except for those of equal strength? 

There is no exception to the rule. 

The strong will always triumph over the bodies of the weak.

But...

Related imageIs that really the truth? Is there no way to rise above your so-called station in life? 

Many cry for equality. But what they shout for is not equality, no. It is the desperate need to feel a sense of sovereignty. Why can those people do stuff that I can't? Is it because I'm not human? Because I'm not an elf? Because I do not have the money? 

However the truth is simple. It's because you don't have the power to change your place in the world. You are too weak. You don't have the mental strength to train endlessly for years, nor do you have the physical or mental potential to rise above the elite. 

And you are right to feel sorrow. Anger. Hatred for those who are above you simply because of their talents at birth. There is no reason why someone should be better than you for a seemingly endless amount of random reasons. 

Why should they have more power than you? They are dumb. Incompetent. Needlessly ruthless. If you were on top, everything would be so much better. Cleaner. Safer. Stronger

Except there's nothing you can do with those thoughts. They boil in the back of your mind. Rile your anger to the depths of your soul because somewhere deep down you understand. You know. 

There is no escape from who you are. No way to give your powerless self back to Gaia and ask for another. 

You friend tells you about artifacts. You buy weapons. And yet the nagging feeling deep on your soul sells you out. You know that you don't have the power, will or strength, to obtain an artifact of power. Your weapons are nothing but loot in the minds of the powerful beings that wonder Valucre, doing what they like. 

Are you taken advantage of? Are you beaten? Are you ridiculed? Are you stuck in an endless loop of life with no way out? Are you at the edge of your wit, crying in despair at your absolute lack of ability to do anything of any fucking use? 

Well, I'm here to answer your prayers. I am not your god. I am not your savior. I am not someone that will take advantage of your position. I only offer you a choice. A single choice that can change not just your life, but who you are. I can make you better. Stronger. Able to survive without the protection of others. To rise above even the elite of Valucre. 

But there is a cost. 

It is a choice you must make. 

I only offer you the possibility. 

Do you dare take it?

Do you have any other option in this pit of despair we call life?

Under the laws of Equivalent Exchange, your ability to gain something must be of equal value to what you give up. 

I can give you power. Power and strength greater than anything you could have possibly imagined. Beyond what you could obtain by simply training on your own. 

To accept this exchange, this change, is to transform your thread of life. Your fate. Your destiny. No longer will your being be tied to the gods of Valucre or of any other world. You will mold yourself into your own perception- a being of power above all others. 

But you must give me something in return. You must give me your freedom. Your ability to disobey. 

The deeper your loyalty to me, the stronger you will become. 

So I ask you, mortal, do you wish to sacrifice your freedom and gain the power to triumph over those who kept you down? Or do you continue along, drowning in the eternal oceans of equals and superiors?

Take my hand. Obtain my mark. And rise above. Use your newfound power to show those that would have you crawl at their feet who is the one that will survive. Crush them beneath your feet.

Make the world tremble.

Make the world quake in fear.

MAKE THE WORLD KNEEL!

Related image

When joining the Cult of Power (ironically C.O.P. lol) it's necessary to know:

• No, I don't actually want your freedom. Your character won't turn into a puppet or anything. But in order to follow the rules of equivalent exchange, the more loyalty shown to Lilith then the more power your character will obtain. I do expect a certain amount of loyalty once the contract is agreed upon. Otherwise what's the point lol
  • Is that possible? What about Mild Powers and the rules that every character is the same? 
    • Good question and I'm glad you asked Ataraxy. Every character that swears loyalty to Lilith will obtain 2 crescent moon marks, one on each forearm. These two marks act as independent canon weapons- i.e. they amplify the power of your character. They aren't as powerful as artifacts, but a character with a canon weapon is stronger than a character without a canon weapon. And the more a canon weapon is used and built upon, the stronger it is. 
  • That kinda sounds like a loop hole to make our characters stronger.
    • Kinda, but not really. There's no rules that says a weapon can't be an amplifier. And it's not as if you're getting it for free. What your character is giving up is a large portion of their free will. The return for something like that is pretty heavy.
  • Is there a limit to the power? Like, can I go above way above MP and start wrecking shit like if I had an S-class artifact?
    • Lol no. I know I already answered this in a way, but I just know someone's gonna take it like that. As I've said, it's just another way of expressing a canon weapon. But instead of a canon sword that can defeat a non-canon sword, your abilities are amplified or reconstructed. 
    • Supernal has this somewhere that I can't remember but: Artifacts > canon items/ weapons > noncanon items/ weapons
  • How do I join? 
    • Just let me know down below and we'll set something up! 
  • Does this mean I have to follow Lilith around with this character?
    • Nope. You can get the marks and then just wander off until she calls you back. Which I would OOC ask before doing so IC. Like I said, I don't actually want your freedom to use that character lol
  • Can I quit?
    • Sure. But breaking the damage should do moderate damage to you arms. Something you can easily recover from but from an IC point of view should be considered a fairly strong deterrence from ending the contract. 
  • Is Lilith a fun character? Like is she nice?
    • Nope. She's a bitch with a superiority complex. But hey, she can fight mano-e-mano with 2 Peacekeepers. Sort of.
  • Is there a hierarchy?
    • Well no silly Ataraxy, you giant dumbass. That goes against the whole monologue I gave earlier. Don't you read. Work on your Reading Comprehension dude. Jeez.
    • (I kid if you actually had this extremely valid question lol)
  • Is there a sheet?
    • No because there's no organization. It's simply individual contracts being given out from the same person.
  • Who is Lilith?
    • A really mean necromancer. Check my signature. If you have sigs off, lemme know and I'll post it down below.
  • When will this Cult kick off?
    • It actually already has @Piperpie has already undergone the contract and @danzilla3 & @MedicalEye are dipping their toes in the water for the moment.

Now that we've cleared all that up, I've got another bomb to drop! Semi-literally. To those that wish to actually follow Lilith as opposed to simply swearing loyalty, there is an oncoming opportunity for you to aid Lilith in tearing apart a city of Terrenus. As of right now talks are still underway and an exact city as yet to be determined, however a city will be falling at the hands of Lilith (my gal) and Cain (Amenities). If you're interested in joining Lilith to wreak havoc and bring a city of Terrenus to its knees, let me know! We'll be wiping it off the board. Poof.

Gone.

Edited by Ataraxy
Stupid thing stopped the enter button from working smh

10 minutes ago, Zashiii said:

My Khaki and Sera are both interested. Not sure about Middy though. She and Lilith aren't on good terms atm.🤣

Lmao hey, you never know! Maybe Middy will accept Lilith as being stronger and decides that she needs an extra boost of power 😄

Would your characters seek out Lilith to obtain the power or would she have to offer it in a time of need for them?

If only Middy didn't get the boss position. But I think they can seek out Lilith. Or Middy could bring them to Lilith if possible.

So how does this loyalty thing go? 

Edited by Zashiii

1 hour ago, Zashiii said:

If only Middy didn't get the boss position. But I think they can seek out Lilith. Or Middy could bring them to Lilith if possible.

So how does this loyalty thing go? 

You could even have them show up later in the Despair thread! 

It's basically a contract made between Lilith and another character. The power that can be drawn from the contract's loyalty bands is dependent on their loyalty to Lilith. Free will still exists, but even at it's very weakest they feel compelled to obey her. At it's strongest, their more primal characteristics are brought to the forefront until they find themselves willingly obeying her. Or anywhere in between! Also, Lilith occasionally just grants the power to people who ask for it without bothering to actually command them. But that's not to say she never will.

7 minutes ago, ourlachesism said:

The little boy with his glowing necklace will swear fealty to Lilith in exchange for power and the possible return of his memories and/or knowledge of his origins. 👀

Yay! I was looking forward to his joining! Is there a name yet?

Just now, Ataraxy said:

Yay! I was looking forward to his joining! Is there a name yet?

We shall find out together 👀

😅 but in all seriousness, he doesn't have a name since he doesn't have the memories to back it up. It is very likely Lilith and the lovely ladies with her can, in fact, give him a name, provided he likes it. 👀

53 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

You could even have them show up later in the Despair thread! 

It's basically a contract made between Lilith and another character. The power that can be drawn from the contract's loyalty bands is dependent on their loyalty to Lilith. Free will still exists, but even at it's very weakest they feel compelled to obey her. At it's strongest, their more primal characteristics are brought to the forefront until they find themselves willingly obeying her. Or anywhere in between! Also, Lilith occasionally just grants the power to people who ask for it without bothering to actually command them. But that's not to say she never will

Now that you mentioned it, Middy could summon the whole gang if needed. Although, as per membership of the cartel, they already most of their privacy and free will so they are fine with serving Lilith as long as she does not order them to kill each other. But they won't say no to the power boost. And they could also get another chance to bring down a city especially in Terrenus. That Last Chance disaster is still fresh in their hearts. 

Also the additional accomplishments plus Lilith's recommendation would look good in their resume. 😀

Oh and Middy already considers Lilith as a friend. So just give her a call and she'll be there to help.

@Ataraxy How hard does Lilith party? 

Edited by Zashiii

15 minutes ago, Zashiii said:

Oh and in terms of power, can the boost give them enough power to survive a peacekeeper? 

Depends what you mean by that. It might help them not die in an encounter, sure, but if you want something that let's you fight a PK, you need an S-class artifact or plot armor at the least lol

Edited by Ataraxy

2 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Depends what you mean by that. It might help them not die in an encounter but if you want something that let's you fight a PK, you need an S-class artifact or plot armor at the least lol

Just enough to survive an encounter. It won't be long before the cartel are hounded by the Pks (hopefully not). Here's to hoping Lilith's power boost can help them survive an encounter.