Ichi

Suggestion Box!

I don't know where to start a story, the plot walls seem so high now. How can I have the confidence to write concrete plot into the world of Val when there are so many already set in stone ideas set up that are deeply hidden in the existing lore archives?

To put it simply: I don't think you expect someone to read all the val archives to make a cannon post, right? Cause I'd like to build this world too, but It's a big mountain to climb if I have to read all the lore. I just wanna write and have fun doing it. (Basically never leaving Alternatives.)

6 minutes ago, Ichi said:

I don't know where to start a story, the plot walls seem so high now. How can I have the confidence to write concrete plot into the world of Val when there are so many already set in stone ideas set up that are deeply hidden in the existing lore archives?

To put it simply: I don't think you expect someone to read all the val archives to make a cannon post, right? Cause I'd like to build this world too, but It's a big mountain to climb if I have to read all the lore. I just wanna write and have fun doing it. (Basically never leaving Alternatives.)

Of course not! That would be counterproductive. Why would you need to know the combined history of the planet of Valucre, or say the history of Elendaron or even what's going on in Elendaron, to make a canon post in Genesaris? Or to join the noble houses of Ursa Madeum? Rhterotical questions of course, to underline that you would just need to know about that area, or those houses, since you can't go into a place with zero knowledge but certainly not like you have to comb through the whole database

We actually cover this on the new member guide, which wasn't around when you first registered and went up before you came back. Check it out!: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/nux/new-member-guide/

You can think of the lore as an encyclopedia versus a guidebook. You don't need to read the whole thing start to finish, you just pick up the proper "book" and read the appropriate "section" for reference 

Does that make sense? 

And if so, is there something about any of our guides or the structure of the site or something someone told you that made you think the only way to enter the canon world was to read a decade's worth of activity first? Because if so I want to fix that ASAP

Also if you don't mind taking a moment to read the new member guide, even if just that landing page I sent, I'd your feedback on if the information there would have been useful if you knew it existed so I know whether we're on the right track or not

Edited by supernal

2 minutes ago, Ichi said:

Another possible method is to start off by joining with someone more experienced and learning from your interactions with them. Sometimes you can learn how stuff works faster by getting involved with it!

2 hours ago, supernal said:

Also if you don't mind taking a moment to read the new member guide, even if just that landing page I sent, I'd your feedback on if the information there would have been useful if you knew it existed so I know whether we're on the right track or not

How's about making the overview its own block among the blocks on the first page?

Edit: World basics is the overview. That makes sense. I'm the idiot, sorry.

Well, now that I've read through the basics, here is my user friendly suggestion for creativity focused, research hating writers: Longer summaries for the different locations. Clicking each link and researching a place and finding it not to be what you want can seem like a time consumer. Call me lazy, but I am. I agree with you. It's not a weapon that can hurt me when I am doing this for entertaiment. My heart and soul goes into writing a beautiful world and scene, referencing loosely to knowledge someone else made. A summary is about all I'd go off to be satisfied.

To sum up: Longer summaries, cause guys and girls like me will most probably only read those. If we like the whole summary, we will THEN click the link. Cause then we'll be certain we won't be disappointed by what's inside. (Not trash talking, just saying Terrenus and Genesaris struck me as being samey when I first started out. Magitech and airships are pretty close. I didn't know where to put Vince. Still kinda don't.)

Note: This looks like a lecture. I am deeply sorry. I have uber respect for you Mr Supernal. What you did here was amazing. Big fan. I mean, I keep coming back, right?

44 minutes ago, Ichi said:

How's about making the overview its own block among the blocks on the first page?

Edit: World basics is the overview. That makes sense. I'm the idiot, sorry.

Well, now that I've read through the basics, here is my user friendly suggestion for creativity focused, research hating writers: Longer summaries for the different locations. Clicking each link and researching a place and finding it not to be what you want can seem like a time consumer. Call me lazy, but I am. I agree with you. It's not a weapon that can hurt me when I am doing this for entertaiment. My heart and soul goes into writing a beautiful world and scene, referencing loosely to knowledge someone else made. A summary is about all I'd go off to be satisfied.

To sum up: Longer summaries, cause guys and girls like me will most probably only read those. If we like the whole summary, we will THEN click the link. Cause then we'll be certain we won't be disappointed by what's inside. (Not trash talking, just saying Terrenus and Genesaris struck me as being samey when I first started out. Magitech and airships are pretty close. I didn't know where to put Vince. Still kinda don't.)

Note: This looks like a lecture. I am deeply sorry. I have uber respect for you Mr Supernal. What you did here was amazing. Big fan. I mean, I keep coming back, right?

We’re looking to keep the articles in the new member guide lean since word count has a pretty strong ratio to both attention span and recall. The national average reading speed is 200 WPM with a 60% retention rate so we try and keep things easily digested. That said what if the articles that the world page leads you to have a “thematic summary” of the place near the top that gives you a little snapshot without having to consume the whole article? 

As for Terrenus and Genesaris, I agree that magitech and airships are pretty close and that one even influences the other but you’ll notice in both cases that item is the last to be mentioned. The first to be mentioned are their theme keywords. To get a better idea of the similarities and differences of each I’d suggest reading the Culture, Language and Religion sections as a starter. That’s peobably what I’ll recommend to people when I talk to them about the whole thematic summary thing 

Also thanks, and no worries 

Edited by supernal

Genesaris actually developed magitech on its own without the influence of Terrenus before the barrier that hid it from the rest of the Valucre world fell. I would say things on a whole for the rest of the world really took off after that.

The culture, language and religion are what really sets Terrenus and Genesaris apart. They are highly different in their people. Genesaris for example has a variety of religions and languages, and cultures, just like the real world. You can pretty much fit anything in there without worrying too much about being different from the rest of Genesaris. You can fit in Terrenus as well, but its laws and views of outsiders, especially Unnaturals (vampires, undead, etc.) are widely different and features interesting prejudices. Also like the real world in certain places, but with twists. I can't say too much on Tellus Mater, I don't rp much there, but its technology and futuristic twists are cool too.

If you have questions just PM the board leader and they can answer anything you need.

If there's any concern about being able to bring something divergent into Terrenus, worry not, countless people bring in characters and perspectives into Terrenus that vary from the mainstream. Norkotia has a decidedly anti-environmentalist skew as a direct response to the popular Gaianism, and COTH is populist as a contrast against the Terran empire. Even with their prejudices against Unnaturals, Tia is a city with a majority vampire population who were left to operate in peace - until earlier this year when they went on something of a blood binge due to the extreme changes the continent is undergoing

I think you'll find all of the continents to be pretty accommodating even within the scope of their general theme 

It's also worth nothing that since they all do exist within the same planet that you can easily travel from one continent to the other, so picking a place to start definitely doesn't mean you're stuck there 

9 hours ago, supernal said:

Of course not! That would be counterproductive. Why would you need to know the combined history of the planet of Valucre, or say the history of Elendaron or even what's going on in Elendaron, to make a canon post in Genesaris? Or to join the noble houses of Ursa Madeum? Rhterotical questions of course, to underline that you would just need to know about that area, or those houses, since you can't go into a place with zero knowledge but certainly not like you have to comb through the whole database

We actually cover this on the new member guide, which wasn't around when you first registered and went up before you came back. Check it out!: https://www.valucre.com/lore.html/resources/nux/new-member-guide/

You can think of the lore as an encyclopedia versus a guidebook. You don't need to read the whole thing start to finish, you just pick up the proper "book" and read the appropriate "section" for reference 

Does that make sense? 

And if so, is there something about any of our guides or the structure of the site or something someone told you that made you think the only way to enter the canon world was to read a decade's worth of activity first? Because if so I want to fix that ASAP

I SUGGEST that Ichii The KIller bonds with more people on this site........

9 hours ago, supernal said:

Does that make sense? 

I suggest that I start and FAQ Team!!! THis is a HUGE-ASS site, and there should be no excuse for this person to have to ASK advice on who to rp with, what character to use and anything else.  I'm ALWAYS GREETING people and offering ANY help that I can offer; and I SPLIT MY INDEX FINGER TO THE BONE LAST WEEK!!! I still type terrible, but where is the is Welcome Team? Where is the FAQ team? You know WHAT? I'm going to go to DESOLATE and ask if I can form an FAQ TEAM to answer these questions for ANYONE: I don't care if you're black white, KKK, a Fish, Zebra.....or anything you could be a CRAYON.................I'm going to start an FAQ TEAM for Valucre!!!
 I'll DO The STUDYING!!!!! I don't care what it takes!!!!! I WANT to HELP!!! DESOLATE.............................MICKEY FLASH........................CORBAN....................CARLOS...................I know that I left as Tavern Leader...but I do F.A.Q Team!!!.................... I KNOW that I can!!!! If I don't know the answer...I'll just point them to an FAQ section or something....you know that these new RP cats are NOT goig to READ all of that Information......................Maybe I can help...............

I if get PENALIZED ONE more time for being HONEST, then I know where I stand; I don't actually mean ANYTHING to anyone on this SITE. And I MEAN THAT!!!............period...let me get a warning point for THIS "OUTRAGE."

No Signature..................................not this time................................

13 hours ago, Ichi said:

Use in character knowledge to your advantage, most importantly where your characters lack it. Depending on what your characters are, there's a good chance that the bulk of happenings wont really apply to you and you can work your way in at your own pace.

Being royalty, emprah, or a king of industry seems to be popular but it requires you to know about all your peers.

I picked Predators Keep as my hub because it had only a few pages of threads and a very good cannon summary for the board. Then I could pay attention to the rest of the site if I felt like it. I did crafting and low level quests. Nothing world shaking.... yet.

--------------------

What do you want your character(s) to do?

Edited by Akiris

Noted! I'll read up on a single page of lore for one place, then never leave that place till I have a good idea of the area. Just one thing: If someone would be so kind as to feed me a long long summary of each area so I know exactly where to zoom in on and find my exact starting location? (Vince needs to steal himself a new pair of airship! Ichi needs to explore himself a new pair of fantasy world and Marcus needs to research himself a whole new pair of artifact!)

If this is a no go, I will flow slowly towards my destiny. (Will only be able to post after +-  a week of research and archive skimming.)

Read the description of the area.

You can skim the past events. As your character likely wasn't there for them knowing that full contents of those threads isn't important.

Then read the full quest descriptions. These are the current cannon issues the keep faces.

Done. At this point you'll have a working knowledge of Predators Keep.