-Lilium-

Things we give up. [artifact]

Eshara took the proffered piece of bread without rancor, only to almost drop it as the cart hit a particularly deep pothole, sending him into a short juggle before finally catching it.

"Do you like grapes in any of its forms?" he asked, more out of politeness then the budding curiosity within him.

He took a bite out of it. It reminded him of those rations the Force Majeure had for long journeys, which was akin to an elven wayfarer bread, except those had become somewhat manufactured, losing some of their original enchanting palatability. Otherwise though, as Capria stated, it was quite good.

One good turn deserved another. From his pack, Eshara retrieved a paper package of cheese. Locally made of course, a small pick up before they had left. It was fresh-smelling, and boasted of a savory taste even through the wrapping. Pulling the coverings apart, he drew his knife and sliced off a thick slice for her to try. Unless she wasn't the type to enjoy such a simple culinary delight. 

As their meal passed, Eshara felt bolder. "So..." he began, "What exactly was that thing you retrieved from the orphanage. Is it the sort of thing you'd have to kill me for if you told me?"

Eshara’s question invokes self reflection, causing her face to leave all expression behind. The flat affect replacing it, however, maintains some reference to calm. “I don’t eat much, or very often. I prefer plain baked goods when I do.” 

To tell the truth is to expect others to be accepting of the information given. Trust is a lonely world of emptiness, for which she has none. From there their ride continues onwards. Fingers every so often, slowly pulling tiny bits of the sweet bread to feed the pale pink of her lips. Much like a small bird pecking here and there for tiny seeds. Though more slowly and well thought out, a practiced pace.

"So..." he began, "What exactly was that thing you retrieved from the orphanage. Is it the sort of thing you'd have to kill me for if you told me?"

Midway to her face, her hand stops and slowly drifts down to her lap. Face following the track of her eyes as they land on him. That ruggedly worn face of his filling her view. Were she one to get exasperated she might take a deep breath, but nothing comes for a long moment. 

“Yes.” The truth unfolding like an origami swan. Delicate creases and bends flattening out to revert into the sheet from whence it came. “It’s a delicate thing, you see. Many a person has gone after it in the past, and it has been used for both good and bad. For now it will fall into the hands of neutrality to combat the wrongs of many….I hope. I will watch to find out.”

"At least...I may have killed you before. Now, I am not too sure if it really matters that much. I can tell that even if I tell you I’ve hidden Odin’s Mask in your shadow, that you have no desire to possess it for yourself.” Finally, rather than the small piece of bread a broken corner of the shared cheese he’d given her makes it to her mouth, hiding the sly smile creeping at its edges. 

“We should probably get some sleep now.” Not that she would actually do such a thing, but the idea of resting may bring about a calm in both of them.

Odin's Mask?

Doubtless his superiors might know what it was, because he didn't. Eshara grunted by way of acknowledgment. "Seems no more good or bad than anything else in the world then. I'll leave it to your ilk to determine that though". After all, he was a simple soldier, or so he liked to claim. To him, a sword was an instrument of violence. In the wrong hands, utterly useless. In the right ones, capable of good or evil. This mask sounded little different.

"Sleep sounds fine. Shall we take shifts?" He asked whilst finishing up his meal. 

Edited by Fierach