Adding to @EpicRome23's words regarding the current battle system.

It might be suitable to discard "Enfeeble as a separate action" rule for monsters and tie "Roll Enfeeble" effect to certain attack types on monsters' side. For instance, the players knocked down by a Ramming attack would get a certain roll penalty (as if they had to take their time to recover from the direct impact). Or, if we are about to go lore-friendly, we could combine Chhitten's bite with Minor Enfeeble as well (actions restricted by growing fear induced by neurotoxin). Sure, that would make the system even more complicated (and, perhaps, broken?), yet I do hope it would add some challenge for us heroes.

Edited by P.N.See

+/- 5

That's the number it would take for enhance/enfeeble to equal the effectiveness of defend/heal as it's a garunteed push up or down a tier at +/- 5 without the ability to push two tiers at once. For a static number more would make it better than the alternatives and less would keep it suboptimal.

If you want to add RNG to this concept, when a character is attempting to enhance or enfeeble have them declare how many of such actions they're hoping to get this turn and must cover thier declares if possible before doing other actions that round.

Then consult your d6 and d4 and use the higher number for your enhance/enfeeble number.

Ex.

Declares two enfeeble actions in roll post.

Rolls an eight on d12

Rolls a three on d6

Rolls a four on d4

Result is two -4 enfeeble actions that must be taken before other actions can be performed that turn.

Suggested rule change: change the current max of +/- 3 to the highest three actions.

Ex.

Four enfeeble effects are thrown on a monster. A -5, -4, -3, and -1. Only the top three would be kept for a total of -12

Same concept for enhance.

This would make CC viable without giving players the ability to garuntee lockdowns on monsters. Having two rolls (d4 and d6) lessens the chance that the E or E roll will be straight garbage but gives it a small chance to be more effective than a defend or heal with the ability to hit +/- 6 per action.

Damn. I knew I was missing a lot here. Sorry everyone, didn't mean to hold anyone up if I did. Things have just been so busy its been hard to keep track of such a large group as this. 

Would it be okay to withdraw until its my turn to play the monsters? By then some of my threads should be done and I'll have more time to devote to this. 

Well it sounds like everyone has familiarized with the basic dice, so I’m ready to add layers to it in the next round! @EpicRome23 I calculated the numbers too, but I had expected a number of dropouts (not directed at any of you, but just that in my experience, about 30-40% drop out of a large thread in the first two rounds. And it hasn’t happened, which is a good thing!), and I also didn’t expect the heroes to have such luck lol. But stay tuned!

@P.N.See good suggestions! I’ll likely take that up as one of the enhancements to the rolls.

@Akiris +5/-5 is disadvantageous to the monsters, because minusing an action to them means all the heroes as a group gets one less damage, whereas an avoid by the hero can still mean that there is no penalty to the monster’s overall attack if they don’t attack that particular person. The other way could be interesting, but it’s complicated for a large group like this. It might work for a smaller group setting, though I would do away with combining 3 dice, and just pick the top one. Having a -12 is too much. XD The whole enfeebling is kind of icky actually, I may take it out and replace with something else entirely in the next round.

@Grubbistch awww ok! Your monsters will not be used in this level though! Either the second or third level. I’ll let you know!

@Lawman to keep things moving, I’ll unfortunately have to move the Chhitten for you if you don’t manage to post by Saturday. Don’t worry, if you’re back after that they’re still yours to control.

Edited by jaistlyn

Oh I'm definitely staying tuned. Yeah, usually you'd have a number of dropouts now, so in theory the roll numbers should have balanced out somewhat more.

+1 to tying in the enfeeble actions to the attack rolls, it makes narrative sense and that's always nice.

And I actually figured out that that third thing! ?

Talking with @Garion over Discord, he gave me the idea of boosting monster HP when they group up. I'm not too sure about reasonable numbers here (though he suggested doubling), but I'd like to put this idea out in the open air, as it were. Entirely fair if this idea is too strong, I'm just throwing out feedback and seeing what sticks lol

And only marginally related to the current discussion, but, to those who will be controlling monsters in the future... if you get Saevion, please, please, don't screw up like I did. Name them after Santa's reindeer.

Edited by EpicRome23

4 minutes ago, EpicRome23 said:

Name them after Santa's reindeer.

Rudolph charged them, red nose shining so bright it blinded the defenders before sticking one of them into the wagon, the defender's blood dying its snout red as well. 

Ooh nasty stuff indeed 

1 minute ago, EpicRome23 said:

Oh I'm definitely staying tuned. Yeah, usually you'd have a number of dropouts now, so in theory the roll numbers should have balanced out somewhat more.

+1 to tying in the enfeeble actions to the attack rolls, it makes narrative sense and that's always nice.

And I actually figured out that that third thing! ?

Talking with @Garion over Discord, he gave me the idea of boosting monster HP when they group up. I'm not too sure about reasonable numbers here (though he suggested doubling), but I'd like to put this idea out in the open air, as it were. Entirely fair if this idea is too strong, I'm just throwing out feedback and seeing what sticks lol

And only marginally related to the current discussion, but, to those who will be controlling monsters in the future... if you get Saevion, please, please, don't screw up like I did. Name them after Santa's reindeer.

You didn’t screw up! Hey you did injure a significant number of people, and you did damage to the wagon!

In another thread I had before, which is even more boardgame-like with an actual board, you get attack bonus for flanking. I’ll have to calculate the numbers and see what to implement, while not being too complex! 

@AthenasFire you're currently at the top left, and the chhitten are at the bottom left. You need to spend 1 action to move to the bottom left in order to hit the chhitten (also let me know if you're hitting chhitten A or B). So either you spend your first action to move and the second to attack, or stay and replace the attack with something else! You can always refer to the Google sheet to see everyone's positions. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1w6oi2m7C7JDcY1iJE6R31ukrGqhX_Tsj8ZvqX46Pcao/edit#gid=0

Alright, the Chhittens have made their move! Tagging everyone who hasn't made a post yet! Round 4 will start next sunday, or when everyone has posted, so put in your post before that! 

@HollowCipher @ChaosLord @Thotification @Lawman @Fierach @P.N.See @Garion @Metty @Dolor Aeternum @Moon Owl