Vansin

Join the New Religion

Do you have a character who believes in freedom, charity, community, and justice? 

Would you like to see the entire social order of Terrenus remade to raise up the weak and cast down the decadent?

My goal is simple: to start an organic religious movement in terrenus to challenge and supplant any ideology that keeps the common man poor and weak and subservient. 

To do this, I need friends and co-conspirators, peasants, merchants, knights, ladies, princes and kings— anyone who is willing to take up the cause of a new god and the dream of a new world, a world ruled not by men, not even by godlike men, but by a real, true god, an everlasting and untouchable monarch who could forever keep his promises to protect everyone, not just the privileged few. 

As a result of Civil War, this religion, called the Cothic Church, will spread over a sizeable chunk of Terrenus already. With your help, it could encompass the entire continent.

Perhaps, even, the entire world.

Use this thread to ask any questions. If you’d like to join up, message me anytime! 

Edited by Vansin

1 hour ago, Zashiii said:

Can someone assist without worshipping the new god? I have this group that is interested in jpining your cause but has doubts regarding the god.

I’m probably not going to turn anyone away who wants to join, so I’ll say yes to you.

But for anyone reading this, converts and true believers are the sort I hoped to entice with this thread. 

Edited by Vansin

I'd be interested in creating a character to be involved, a convert rather, at first. However, I'd require some IC validation to the claims of godliness; as I'm assuming most converts would. A show of power, or some form of validation, rather than a 'take my word for it' perspective. I'd also like to know a bit more about what these people's would stand for realistically, rather than just being lotted in to fight "the man."

The god isn’t particularly remote. Though he doesn’t personally appear he grants his chosen representative (my character, Constans) the ability to harness his signature green fire. Moreover he has already made manifest one overt miracle, and in a thread I’m writing he’s about to bestow a second miracle that will be witnessed, just like the first was witnessed, by thousands of people. Usually these miracles consist of massive displays of sacred fire which can be viewed from miles away.

He’s no performing monkey who makes magic happen whenever someone asks, but the green fire Constans wields doesn’t burn anyone the god doesn’t want hurt, and so it can act as a minor miracle in its own right and a means of determining god’s favor. 

The religion itself is underpinned by god’s promise to be the sole ruler of the religion and the nation. That is to say that, by nature of his being eternal, he is guarenteeing stability that has become absent in Terrenus following the civil war. In this way the religion Is both reactionary and political. Its moral development has unfolded from the situation in Terrenus. 

Moreover, his ascendancy rejects any other claims to divine right to rule by any temporal power, and brands all temporal rulers as inadequate at best, and pure liars at worst, liars who promise peace and consistency and then just die like all mortals do, creating power vacuums and strife. So the big deal of the religion is that a true god makes a much better king than any man. 

Morally, the religion espouses a fraternal order where those who work and those who plan and consume are all equally subservient to god, once again cementing a sense of equality by comparison to the overwhelming and incorruptible superiority of god. The church itself, taking after its prophet Constans, will (I say “will” because right now Constans is the sole priest of the religion) be a highly ascetic order, eschewing personal possessions so as to remain pure and worthy in god’s eye. In this way, Constans intends to make no part of the religious establishment corruptible by bribery or patronage. 

Lay people in the religion see it as a moral revolution, one which raises them up as the craftsmen of a new world. They are expected to proudly reject any authority aside from god’s and to act as protectors of anyone oppressed or living in squalor. Every faithful is expected to behave like a beacon fire which shows other people there is a better, simpler, more dignified way to live than at the mercy of other fallible men.

Im sure I can go on but this should provide the basic answer to your question @Vilhardt

Edited by Vansin

@Moon Owl

It’s all been fleshed out through roleplay in my thread, however the project of creating a living, breathing religion on here is still very much a work in progress.

Originally, I made it as a faction in Supernal’s Civil War event but it’s really come into its own as his event (which was sort of a faction incubator) concludes in January. We were very lucky to be afforded what is essentially a sixth of terrenus’s wildlands so that’s why we’re looking to grow it out via participation. 

To answer your question: you can learn about the religion right here, through me. Ask me anything! 

Something I think everyone should understand is that the religion is in its infancy, it’s grown quickly because of its populist undertones but there’s no clergy (except for my character Constans) or holy text to speak of as of yet (though with the help of @KittyvonCupcake‘s Book|Ends we’re going to write one) and so it’s a very organic movement of dissatisfied people who are counting on a new god to save them from the turmoil present in Terrenus today. 

People who join up will likely find themselves dispatched all over the place on fun missions and quests to help others in need, collect items, or treat with other rulers as the Cothic Church grows into the world power it’s going to become.

Edited by Vansin

This sounds very interesting! I would love to play in this as Torie, if I may. I'll give you a link when I have access to a computer. She probably would be a new convert. Or rather, be exploring the possibility of converting by observing the behaviour and attitudes (and miracles) of the religion's true believers as she tries to decide for herself that this god is actually a true god and not some mortal imposter. But after the right character development arc she would become a true believer herself.

It should be pointed out that Torie is a human shape shifter who has taken the form of a tiger. She is exceptionally kind and friendly, but also lazy and gluttonous. She's the fattest tigress in all of Valucre!