danzilla3

Reunions Across Space

"Kid's eh?"

In the darkness of a bedroom in Last Chance, John Wilder lay wide awake, eyes fixed on the ceiling, enjoying the feeling of his lovers warmth as she pressed into him. After a bit of fun Patricia, or Mrs. Blonde as she was known to others, had been talking to him about her children before she seemed to doze off. The crime lord could hardly fathom what it would be like to have the people most dear to you in the world separated from you by an entire universe. Since they had begun their romantic relationship the children had been a common discussion, and he could tell by the tone of her voice and the sadness in her eyes how much she missed them. He knew she planned to bring them to Valucre somehow, and he had vowed to help her; but the prospect raised some interesting questions.

Would they see him as a father, or could they even accept him at all? Children often had a hard time adjusting to having a parents new romantic interest thrust into their lives; upsetting any kind of established order. But even if they could accept him, would he be fit for the task of helping to raise two children into adulthood? Until very recently he had lived only for himself, caring little for others. In the end he wasn't sure he was the right man for the job... but he would sure as hell try.

"Me. A father. Who would have guessed?"

@Dredge

Edited by danzilla3

@danzilla3

She looked peaceful. For the first time in a long time, she looked at ease. Patricia’s nude and sleeping form was pressed against Jack, and she felt somewhat at ease. Years of crime, death, and living life under the weight of that mask seemed to fade when she rested in his arms. Patricia never needed a man to save her. She never needed a partner to pick up the shattered pieces of her soul and ride away into the sunset with. She was a pilar of strength, efficiency, and unwavering ruthless efficiency. 

But despite that, she felt at home. Or at least as close to home as someone like her could feel. Often the woman dissociated feelings like love, joy, and the wanting of warmth that others provided. But this was a new world, a new Patricia who could be whoever she wanted to be.

And right now. She just wanted to be Jack’s sleeping girlfriend. The woman who wrapped her arms around him and held tight. Her small four foot eleven form nestled into his chest and remained there beneath the blankets and slow whirling ceiling fan. 

”He’s gone, Erika. I’m sorry.” She dreamt, and Jack could hear her talk in her sleep. 

A man named Romeo, and a young woman named Erika. She spoke of them, and Romeo was always brought up in the paste tense, as if he went from an it to a was. Yet despite that, Patricia seemed to harbor some form of regret, as if she couldn’t of saved the man and she wasn’t enough for him.

John looked down at his lover with a small amount of concern evident on his face. It wasn't uncommon for Patricia to talk in her sleep, and when she did, she often talked of her children. Sometimes it sounded like she was remembering good times; birthdays, and holidays, and time spent together. Most of the time however it was more sorrowful then that; apologies to those no longer there, and tears shed for those she was separated from. While it was sometimes enough to just hold her, when things seemed to be getting too bad, he woke her up before she could wake up screaming. 

He turned towards her, stroking her hair to get her to awaken from her memories. When she looked at him he smiled and kissed her head.

"Bad dreams?"

@danzilla3

”Bittersweet now.” She said with the drowsiness of one still half asleep. Anytime she got to see her children was good, even if it was the most heart breaking of moments that she her trauma riddled brain could muster up. 

Rising up from the sheets of the bed, she didn’t bother to cover herself in front of Jack. She just leaned her bare back against the cool wood of the headboard and let out a distant sigh. She truly cared for Jack and he knew that whenever she woke up, especially after what was essentially a nightmare. She needed a minute or two to focus and dial back into her current reality. This universe was home now and that was still somewhat of a shock to her. With hopefully the exception of her children, she’d never see any of them again. Silas, Ticon, Preliat, even the old bastard Strider. They were gone along with everyone else she ever knew. 

But if Patricia was anything, she was adaptable, and she had a plan. Patricia always had a plan. So after taking a moment to adjust and fix herself up a little, she leaned in and gave Jack and deep kiss on the lips to let him know that they were good. Jack was a good man and she didn’t intend on ruining this relationship with her insecurities and pain. 

”I love you.” She smiled at him for a brief moment afterwards before standing up and out of bed. They had a day to start and Blonde had some research to do. 

And by research she meant shake down a group of wizards and mages about spells called dimension doors and ritual castings of them. It was on her list of possible solutions. But before there was anything done, Patricia wanted to say something. She wanted to say thank you to Jack, and that he was the one thing keeping her sane in an otherwise terrible and insane chapter of her life. That he was the shred of good in a foreign and dark world. She didn’t quite know how to express that so she choked on her words for a bit before simply casually rushing into the refresher to do her morning routine.

It took all of John's self restraint not to pull Patricia back into the bed when she leaned over to kiss him, but he somehow managed. When she declared her love for him, a warm feeling seemed to bubble up from within him, and he smiled back.

"I love you too."

As Blonde disappeared into the bathroom, Jack made his way downstairs and began to make breakfast for him and his lover. Eggs, bacon, sausage, and toast were all on the menu today, as well as fresh orange juice, and a pot of coffee. Until recently the crime lord had mostly lived off of takeout for his meals; but ever since he had begun his relationship with Patricia, he had started cooking again. It reminded him just how much he enjoyed doing so, especially for her. When Blonde came down, the table would be set, and he would be waiting for her.

"Big day today," he grinned, "Best to start with a good breakfast right?"

@danzilla3

With her routine done, Patricia made her way to the closet where a few of her clothes were kept. Opening it she had two outfits available, the two that she usually found herself wearing every other day. A simple and plain silk weave red dress, a simple attire that was comfy and fashionable. The other, while certainly stylish, was stained red in the blood of thousands. A black suit and tie, and atop that suit hanging from its straps. A black metal gas mask with more than a few nicks and battle scars on it where paint and metal had been scratched off from sparks and shrapnel. While her heart yearned for the red dress, it was a black hat day.

When she descended from the stairs, Jack would see her in the black suit and tie he had met her in. Hanging from her side was her mask and it was thankfully not adorned on her face. She did want breakfast after all and Jack had gone through the trouble of putting out such a fantastic spread for the two of them. She enjoyed him cooking, it was so rare that she ever got a home cooked meal and the fact that he had whipped it up made it all the more special.

”Big day indeed. You know you didn’t have to do this? I’d of been happy with some nutrient bars and shot of whiskey.” She chuckled a bit before giving him a kiss on the cheek in gratitude. 

Sitting down she began to eat her meal and douse it in the spiciest condiment that Jack had at the table.

”So I was thinking we could go to that one dwarven place on Oaken Street tonight, you know the place where everyone raves about the stew and mead? I’ve never been, and if this world is going to be home I want to get my food scene in.” Another chuckle escaped her in between bites.

Patricia had one rule she lived by. Time with loved ones at home was sacred, she loved Jack and she wouldn’t talk business at the table or at home until they both stepped out that door. He took his time to make this meal, and she wasn’t going to undermine it with talks of beating up a few wizards or grifting information from less than legal sources.

Edited by Dredge

Hearing Patricia talk about things that interested her in Valucre always made John feel more secure in their relationship. For a time, his lover had wanted to return to her home universe instead of just retrieving her children, which would have put a great strain on their romance. These days, she assured him that he had given her a reason to stay, and while he trusted her, it was good to hear her making plans and finding interests in the world. It made him want to help get her children back even more than he already did; to bring them here and find out what they found of interest in their new home. 

"It's been a while since I've had mead," he replied, a grin spreading across his face, "Dwarves know their stuff when it comes to smithing and booze. Add in that stew everybody talks about, and you've got yourself a date my dear."

John winked playfully at Patricia before turning back to his meal. When he was done, he took a quick shower, put on a nice suit, and grabbed the cane sword that Blonde had forged for him. 

"So. Where do we start?

@danzilla3

With a quick kiss at the door after Jack had descended from the stairs in his suit, it was go time. Placing the gas mask on her face once more, Patricia was gone and Miss Blonde was walking out the door. She was free from her past now, and yet this mask still was a part of her. It still haunted and tempted her despite being away from everyone who ever wanted to kill her and topple the criminal empire she built from the ground up. Maybe it was just destiny that the two personas of Patricia’s psyche remained together, but she couldn’t think about that right now. She had business to attend to and her children to save. 

Standing in the crisp morning air Last Chance was a man dressed in an all black suit and tie wearing a mask similar to Miss Blonde. His fiery and thick red hair was slicked and combed to the side. Next to him was a simple magitech vehicle that glistened the morning sun off it’s shiny obsidian shell. The man promptly opened the back seat for the two of them and gave a quick and formal greeting.

”Good Morning Miss Blonde.” He said with a small nod of the head.

”Morning, Orange.” The robotic laced voice of Miss Blonde greeted back the aptly named Mister Orange. 

Stepping into the backseat and finding her place, Miss Blonde began to pull up her data feed on a wristband device and engross herself in work. When it was time for Jack to get in, he’d get a slightly different greeting.

”Jack.” was all Orange said the man, and not in the most kindly of voices either. A rather deadpan acknowledgement and acceptance of his existence.

With the both of them seated in the back of the vehicle, the doors closed and Orange took the wheel awaiting further instruction.

”Magic District, please.” Blonde said as she looked up from her holographic data feed.

Turning her head to Jack she gave a smile beneath her mask, not that he could see it beneath the expressionless and cold piece of high tech metal. She was excited to be working with Jack again, or at least trying to shake down information from the local populace on doing what needed to be done.

”Since this continent seems to primarily run on magic and the technology behind it. The best place to start would be the local practitioners of the arcane arts. I don’t expect them to have the answers but I do think they can point us to a leading expert on conjuration magic.” The trail was set and Miss Blonde intended to follow it until the end. One way or the other she was getting her family back.

Jack always treasured kissing Blonde, almost as much as he hated seeing her beautiful face disappear into that damned mask. He knew that her own feelings about the thing were mixed; both a reminder of a past she wanted to forget, but also a strange comfort. Still, he hoped one day that she would be able to leave it behind, to walk the world of Valucre with her face uncovered. Perhaps once the children were here...

But for now he said nothing, and followed his lover to her transport where they were greeted by her driver, a man known only as Orange. The driver was never impolite to Jack, but never went out of his way to make conversation either. He got the feeling that the man didn't entirely approve of him, or his relationship with his boss. While he could care less about his approval, he did admire the young mans commitment to Blonde. If nothing else, he felt like he could trust Orange, even if they couldn't be friends.

On 1/12/2019 at 9:27 AM, Dredge said:

”Since this continent seems to primarily run on magic and the technology behind it. The best place to start would be the local practitioners of the arcane arts. I don’t expect them to have the answers but I do think they can point us to a leading expert on conjuration magic.”

"I'll turn on the charm then," he grinned, "No sane person can resist my charisma."

@danzilla3

”I hate to burst your bubble, Prince Charming. But I don’t think they’ll get the chance to be wooed by your devilish charm.” She said in somewhat of a playful tone that did emphasize that she was somewhat serious about her words.

They were after all dealing with wizards and magic users, a slippery bunch of people by almost any standard. So Jack’s job for this mission would be to play overwatch. You never know who’d teleport to the front of the building or what magical gollum might be summoned from whatever plane of existence. Jack was the only man for the job as he was an exemplary fighter and could take a hit. Mister Orange on the hand was your standard human meat-bag. He could fire a few shots from his pistol but at the end of the day if he came against someone who could control the elements and summon actual monsters, he wasn’t going to last very long.

So when they pulled up to the magic district and parked in front of a dingy and beat up bar in the center of it, Blonde would let him know.

”Please stay here with Orange. I need you to cover my six in case anything pops off. You know I can handle myself, so if anything happens just call me and I’ll buzz out.” With a nod of her head she existed the vehicle and went out into the early morning salty air of Last Chance and within a few moments she had entered the building disappearing within its dingy depths. 

A few more moments passed and Mister Orange adjusted the rear view mirror so that the blank and empty eyes of his mask could meet Jack’s gaze.

”This isn’t me threatening you. I saw what you did on the hunt, and I could never hope to hurt you. This is me telling you not to fuck this up.” The conversation was started, and these were the first words that Orange had said to Jack that weren’t hello and goodbye.

"Be careful my love. Don't take any chances."

He would never tell her that it should be him going in there and not her, even if that was how he really felt about it. It wasn't that he doubted Patricia's ability, as he had seen first hand her prowess in combat. But for all her ruthless efficiency, she was still just a normal person under that mask. A stray bullet to the wrong spot, and she would die just like anybody else. Jack on the other hand could shrug of bullets, bombs, knives, magic of all kinds, and so much more. Seeing her put herself on the frontlines makes his heart sink into his stomach. 

On 1/14/2019 at 11:44 PM, Dredge said:

”This isn’t me threatening you. I saw what you did on the hunt, and I could never hope to hurt you. This is me telling you not to fuck this up.”

Jack looked up at the driver, seeing the mans face in the rearview mirror; his eyes fixed on the crime lord. It occurs to him that he can't be sure if Orange is referring to the mission at hand, or his relationship with Blonde in general. Hell, maybe he meant both. Part of him resents the man for sticking his nose in his business; but then reminds himself that protecting Patricia is also his business. So instead he just nods.

"Understood."