jaistlyn

Light hearted, open ended, no rules RP [Closed]

Understanding this is a no rules RP and not even mine:

One of the principles I outlined in the mild powers set that I think can apply here is that it's less the origin of the power and more the amplitude / power level / effect. Reality Warping can be fine if what it gets used for is in a similar scope to everything else going on, and is OP when it's doing OP things. Turning someone into a toad can be done with a hex spell or with reality warping; turning the planet into a flying turtle would be outside of the scope of MP for me, but idk how it would apply here

14 minutes ago, Michael Bloodfang said:

@Tyler Uh, wow I did not know that there are many things that can get interpreted when you have Reality Warping, well you ever heard about Alien X from Ben 10?

"Reality warping is the ability to change reality itself. It is one of the most extreme powers. Famous reality warpers include Franklin Richards, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Jamie Braddock, Proteus and more recently, the Scarlet Witch. The strength of the power often varies, but a little of this goes a long way."

I'm honestly thinking he can warp reality at his will but if there are other way tell me since I'm curious and I don't know a whole lot.

I only know of Ben 10, but know almost nothing else about it other than I think it's a cartoon about high-schoolers that involves science fiction?

But anyway, so you're saying "warp reality at his will", but that's very very vague. Is he like, literally god where in an instant he can say (as Supes puts it) "Now the planet is a flying turtle!" and BOOM, the world is a flying turtle. Or is it like how Scarlet Witch has it where it's more... well honestly Scarlet Witch's powers are more like highly advanced Force (from Star Wars) powers, namely telekinesis and mind-affecting telepathy. Those are powerful, and can technically be considered "reality warping", though they could technically be achieved through other magical or even scientific means as well. 

It's a question of if you are leaving it open so he can do "any and all of the above", or if he uses it a specific way, and it is also worth asking yourself how much he can use it and to what extent. Can he just lift a pen with telekinesis? Or can he force the planet's rotation to go 100x faster so the day-night cycle is a matter of minutes or seconds? 

Then again, isn't magic just "reality warping" in and of itself?

@Tyler Well I don't want to make it corny so I don't think I will have him a planet a flying turtle because that's a bit too much even for my standards. I think honestly it's more so like Scarlet Witch's abilities than anything else because it makes much more sense for me that way, instead of making literally that he wishes into reality because I don't want to do things that may ruin the RP. 

So it's definitely the types of powers like Scarlet Witch that I have planned out for him and I am very certain that no known science can warp reality because uh, it's supposed to be with numbers and stuff and it more so proving something in more of the atheistical side. And magic I don't know if it counts as reality warping so I'm laying more on Scarlet Witch type powers. 

Imo, in fiction science and magic are basically the same thing explained in different ways. Like time travelling, it can be achieved by both 'science' and 'magic'. Same thing for reality warping. When we are talking about science, it is science fiction, not actual known science. If course, if you can explain it using actual, or close to actual science, then that's fantastic and more power to you.

But anyway, yes anything is allowed, whether explained through science or magic or gods, aliens, etc.. what's important here is just to make things fun for everyone involved, the yardstick you can be using to measure is not 'is this believable?' but 'does this idea allow every character to react to it? Does it build onto what the other players have written? Can everyone have fun with this idea?'

Edited by jaistlyn

I heavly don't second that. I find that science and magic are two different things and should not be involved or thought out as being the same thing because they are vastly different from each other. That's how I feel about it. And I actually never thought that science fiction had anything to do with magic like lightsabers are made with a certain technology we don't have because maybe we either don't have the right minds or the right materials to do so.

And the time traveling thing with science can be a tricky thing to explain because if we look at back of the future. The simplified idea is that the car travels at so many fast light years that it can actually travel through time. I don't remember if it was even explained how you can travel in time. But I think it is also the fault of people who made these things and didn't really explain how it works, time travel without magic and why it works and how is it not magic.

Maybe our beliefs clash against one another but oh well, we live in a democratic world so we're allowed to believe that things are different than the other may think it is or seems. But I personally will not be saying in OOC or IC that magic and science are the same thing because you can't do a lot of things with science than you could with magic and I never thought science could warp reality..I don't know if it is possible and if it is..please explain me the damn equation and calculations that allows you to do so lol 😂 

Anyway, I'll be trying this warping thing like Scarlet Witch does, sees if it works or not and if it doesn't I'll give him a reason that is easy and simply as moon and sun. "I choose not to use it. Because it will get boring." Because the actual reason why he even does this is because he is boring.

I'm almost done with tha character sheet...I'll also be introducing another character that has talked with this Mad Doctor in the past if that is okay, I want to find a way to explain why he can do what he can that can possibly rival magic, though I highly doubt he can rival the power of a god but it would be interesting to see. Will give him a bit of reasoning as to why he is so mad. I watched a video on how to do so and I think is going to be dope.

So I suppose you can stay tune for my reply which will be a long ass one...so bare with me..I know I'm being the last one or second to last one 😂 school been a bitch lately 😂

Here is a sneak peak on who this second new character is..

IMG_20191118_152326.jpg

Yes. I've drawn him out myself. I present to you Mr. Universe!! 

Edited by Michael Bloodfang

Nice! I like the drawings, and I like that you have your own theories! I'm perfectly ok with a difference in opinions, but here's hoping that this difference will not get in the way of anyone's enjoyment of the RP! Looking forward to your new characters. And there's no rush at all!

Thank you very much! I appreciate it. And of course, I never wanted to make this RP unpleasant for anyone and I sure do hope so I didn't and if I did I am sorry. Sometimes these beliefs get the better of me like I came to understand people like Thanos or Captain America...when you have beliefs and you feel like you are right it can make you dangerous lol.

That is why I even asked you guys about if the reality warping powers would take out the fun of the RP or not. To make sure because I like this RP and honestly this is the longest RP I've been because of so many people going offline and never come back or simply don't have the time to RP to so I am eternally grateful for those who find the time to continue this.

I want to make these OP characters of mine as hopefully as entertaining and interesting as possible whilst I do realize it may not be the cup of tee to everyone. I am still trying so, yeah. And thanks for assuring me there is no pressure I just don't want to keep this RP in a pause or actually fall out of line because I've taken so long to reply. I'll be working on that reply on Tuesday night and work more on Wednesday and probably have it up by then and if not then Thursday very late Friday if something does come up. 

Also I'm glad you are looking forward into them @jaistlyn it surely will be crazy..just like you always want it 😂

@jaistlyn Ay...I don't know how you found out I am a super fanboy of Iron Man but oh well..I got exposed 😂So I honestly believe that Iron Man does not use magic, because there is nothing magical about the process of making the Iron Man armors. 

We saw in the very first Iron Man movie that got released on 2008, how he build the first Iron Man armor mark 1 out of pure scraps with arc reactor that can power something big for 15 mintues and then he upgrades it to Mark 2 and then 3...how he does it...I wish I could know honestly.

Here is the problem again, what makes it different than magic? I believe honestly that things like Iron Man suits are advanced technology that we normal beings can't really wrap our minds around to because again we don't have the technology, we may have the right minds for it but we are limited with the technology of our time ooor the US Government or Area 51 doesn't want people to become Iron Man so they keep that knowledge to themselves, anything is possible honestly.

But if you put Iron Man with Doctor Strange they are vastly different, the one is with the power of science and the other with magic...who wins in a fight? Doctor Strange even as a hardcore fanboy like myself..can't deny the fact that Doctor Strange is a powerful character. So in my view, the line in the sand between science and magic is like this. Space bridge, time travel, spaceships, advanced mechanical suits like ironman can be made with science that is for me advanced technology and anything that is supernatural like reality warping for example or raising people from the dead is magic. Get what I mean? 

Well uh, looks like I've fininshed a lot earlier than expected. I don't have the bio to Alina but I don't find it to be that important now because it will be explored in the RP anyways so stay tuned for that. But I have Lanmo's section done so if anyone is interested to see what kind of diabolical op of a character I've made once again...here you go, enjoy.

In case you see the picture, there is one, the black monster is Lanmo and the white haired girl Alina

Fun fact: Aline in greek means light and Lanmo means darkness haha, pretty clever. Right? 😂

But.. but time travel in Endgame.. 

I just find this a very interesting discussion. Quantum mechanics, for example, is not fully known in the world today, and so it can be used to explain away many things in science fiction (aka handwaving). On the other hand, although magic can be anything because it does not actually exist in our world, only in our imagination, we tend to think that it can be used to do anything. But for myself, I think the best magics written have a system behind it. I watch a lot of animes, so I would pull out Full Metal Alchemist and Hunter x Hunter as examples. e.g. where transmutation needs an equivalent exchange, or, a system where you use your will to control invisible 'auras'. Valucre does have a few magic theories as well, like the planes of existence of Genesaris, and Valucre's Laws of Magic. I think having a system grounds magic and makes the story consistent. 

However, I will point out that none of these systems, science or magic or otherwise, need to apply in our no-rules thread, and it IS no-rules exactly for this reason. I deal with keeping within bounds of my head-canon system of magic elsewhere on Valucre (I even have a thread with supernal where we are exploring combining magic with science to create anti-magic armour!). Here in this thread, we are allowed to handwave anything at all without worrying about explaining anything, just having fun reacting to anything that others think up of. Hence the no-rules.

Edited by jaistlyn

Yeah, I did say that Time Travel and all falls under the category of science but at this point it has become so intervoluted that there isn't anymore a difference to it. And in real life magic doesn't really exist, well in a atheist perspective. I'm a christian and I know there are forms of forbidden black magic, white magic and so on. But I don't wanna involve that into this conversation for the sake of not talking about sensitive subjects like this one.

Quantum Mechanics is science so the only difference between science there is a piece of technology that allows you to travel through time while magic simply gives you the short way end of the deal and simply teleports you there and throughout with a magic spell. 

I'm surprised you find this conversation interesting, maybe you never met someone like me before but I do in ways see that magic and science are the same while they are not at the same time. If that makes any sense lol. And I'll be sure to check those links out in my due time. 

They can have the same end effect, but the explanation on how they work differs. Also the environment would be different. Where one would be surrounded by metal, machinery, the other would be surrounded by light, elements, or ethereal things. That's how I see the difference between them.