Vilhardt

Home for the holiday/Reverie reunion

Mil Dot Lunaris had done well, definitely reaching out to it's target market. Honestly, the white haired one wasn't surprised. Hell, he carried their merchandise everywhere, loaded, and it never failed to do it's job. Their merchandise had helped him survive, make a living, and make it back home.

The tall, lean man chewed on an unlit cigar for moment, lounging at a seat closest the Mil Dot entrance as he waited for small business to die down. His arms were crossed behind his head, relaxed. His burgundy all terrain jacket was a bit long, covering his black slacks and heavy boots. His eyes were pales, and his wirey white hair was shaved on the sides, with a short top; a soldiers cut.

His long face was familiar enough, definitely one of a kind. He had a wide jaw, with a narrow nose and a high, sturdy brow. His demeanor was shady, always had been. He looked around, keeping an eye out for Thurgood or Aveline, they had to be around here. He had come back into town for business, and Joshua figured that he'd stick around for a while, at least until after Reverie.

@notmuch_23

Edited by Vilhardt

The Morrisons have been doing a fine job running the place, which is good, since life had suddenly become very busy for Thurgood and Aveline, since they've been promoted to major nobles in Ursa Madeum.

Finally, at least Thurgood makes it back, as the rumble of a diesel engine heralds his arrival. Not only does he need to draw out and arrange construction of a port, he also needs to plan an entire mining operation for vulcanium, which will need to be extracted deep underground out of granite. Slowly he plods up the stairs, not being able to afford to use the elevator on this very cloudy day. In fact, the store is only on half lighting, depite needing double, since he hadn't the time to finish the methane auxillery electrical generation unit, so the building still relies on photoelectric generation.

"I do not remember building this many fucking stairs," Thurgood says to nobody in particular as he finally reaches the top. The automatic doors open as he drags his feet towards them, through them, then towards the door to the "back", since he doesn't have the energy to vault the counter to get behind them.

The place seemed slow enough for the comrade to poke around, maybe ask one of the people on shift a couple of questions. He would have, but a distinct sound broke his focus. Booming, screaming, raging, and tearing up the drive. A combustion engine. Josh could still remember the first time he had heard one. The thought made his body ache for a moment.

A long, heavy clamber up the stairs drew a glance from the Merc, and a moment later Thurgood came into sight. He looked worn out, which was not surprising. The knucklehead chuckled a bit under his breath. Joshua waited for a moment, watching his bud carry on with his business without speaking.

Unlike his bonafide acquaintance, this clown had all day to kick back and relax, which wasn't uncommon. Josh still owed the Singlance siblings a debt, in a sense. He had paid them in full for all of the hardware he had destroyed before ditching out of town to search Terrenus for answers.... Well, ALMOST, all of the money at least. That aside, Aveline and Thurgood had always treated him well enough, taught him how to hold, chamber, and shoot a gun. They helped him get up to speed technologically, a trade he had definitely used allot. The list continued. 

In truth, Joshua Rymer had laughed at the thought of the pair becoming Noble's, because it seemed odd to him; but it also seemed ingenious. They were Outsider's just like he was, and their almost flawless acuity with learning and applying their trades on the fly was legendary. House Singlance was going to become an industrial powerhouse, without a doubt in his mind. Hindsight thought drew another snicker from the white haired one. It was no wonder why Thurgood had looked so beat.

As Thurgood prepared to head into the back, Josh piped up.

"Figured I'd catch you around here."

"Wait, I've heard that voice before..." Thurgood thinks as he looks back, "oh, it's you... uh... fuck, I don't think I ever learned your real name."

It's been so long he couldn't even think of the fake name Josh gave when they were tracking down the shifters that stole all that money.

"So what the fuck brings your sorry ass back to Lunaris?" Thurgood asks, "is it the barbecue? I bet it's the barbecue."

Thurgood wouldn't peg Josh Rymer for the type of person to help him out with much.

"Just when I think I can finally rest..."

"Is it the barbecue? I bet it's the barbecue."

The very thought caused Josh's gut to spring to life, growling in agreement. It was definitely the barbecue. The white haired one rubbed his neck, laughing bashfully before answering Thurgood. He had formally introduced himself as Ghost when last they had met. These days he went by another name, still fake of course, but more casual, more comfortable. Josh had no reason to hide his name from Thurgood, as most knew him by Matthew. Still, he wasn't about to cough it up just yet.

"I came back to Lunaris on business. With the first Reverie coming up, I thought I'd stick around for a while. This city is the closest thing I've got to a home."

Josh explained his vagabond mentality. Lunaris had changed allot, he didn't need to voice that opinion, that was as evident as the changing of the seasons. It hadn't mattered that much to him, he could hold his own on the streets without a doubt, but with the populace increasing and the things he had missed after awhile, it was just nice to see a familiar face; which reminded him of someone... He glanced around a bit, double checking his surroundings.

"Where's your sister?"

The Merc asked, still watching his back. Aveline was a real fireball, and Josh was definitely a fire starter. He had assumed she wouldn't be to far behind Thurgood, not realizing that they had been so busy this time of year. He hadn't changed a bit, still as clueless and as carefree as ever.

5 hours ago, Vilhardt said:

"Where's your sister?"

"Went to the Reverie ball, didn't let me go," Thurgood replies, "made that clear, as if I had time to go."

Aveline figures that the ball is as much a diplomatic event as a party, and she consideres bringing him to that networking event in Hell's Gate a mistake.

"What kinda business ya here for?" Thurgood asks, wondering what kind of bullshit he'll need to put up with.

Right now, Thurgood is npt in the mood to put up with any bullshit right now: he's got a cement kiln to power, a heavy port to build, and a river to dam. Industrializing Ursa Madeum will take a shitload of work, and somebody's gotta do it.

"The ball huh?"

Josh perked his inner brow curiously. He wished he could meet Titus, thank him personally for saving his life. Aside from that, he saw little fun in conversing with the upper class. It must have sucked to have to deal with all of the "beautiful people" of the Empire's court.

"I'm here endorsing some big pharma company or something like that. People these days just can't get their hands dirty apparently." 

He shrugged, figuring that it didn't matter that much. There wasn't much point in him wasting Thurgood's time any further. They were both street smart, and they both knew why he was here. He cleared his throat and cut to the chase.

"I'm barely getting by these days, honestly. Nothing new.. But.. You know."

The jarhead paused for second, continuing a moment later.

"I've heard on the road that House Singlance has been staying busy. I was just wondering if you guys needed any help. I mean.. I still owe you guys."

He rubbed the back of his neck shamefully. Josh must have seemed like a dirt bag, just another lousy bum trying to dip his hand into a honey pot. This was certainly the case, there was little doubt about it. Fortunately, Thurgood could probably throw the man further than he could trust him, literally. Either way, free labor was... Well... Free.

Hmmm, this actually made Thurgood pause.

"I'm surprised that you heard something other than cursing and insults when people mention us," Thurgood replies.

This is an odd position. Aveline knew more about Josh than Thurgood did. But, he is one of the heroes that helped Taen during its more tumultuous times, and it's not like either Thurgood or Aveline are in a position to turn away assistance. The work, whatever form it may take, will not be easy, but both Thurgood and Aveline believe in fairly compensating their employees.

"I think we should talk in my office."

The white haired one burst with disbelief, snapping to attention.

"Sure thing. You won't regret this."

He would probably regret this.

Joshua stood quickly, leaving his hefty sack of belongings behind. He paused for a moment, shaking his head and laughing as he prepared to follow Thurgood.

"I ONLY heard cursing and insults when I mentioned you guys. I heard that you told some fancy clowns to go fuck themselves. That's why I figured you'd been busy. Competition is good for business, and your competition is busy running it's mouth."

It seemed that at some point, the houses of the Empire had forgotten that it consisted of more than just Ursa Madeum. While Titus waged war, it fell on the Taenites to rebuild amongst themselves. People like House Singlance had been essential in keeping this half of the Empire intact, and Josh doubted that many people from the other side of the spectrum understood or respected that.

Edited by Vilhardt

"Nah, it was a douchebag and her little cunt," Thurgood says as he opens the door to the office as he lets Josh in, "I could feel their contempt the second I saw them"

Of course, we don't know if Oscar would be more pissed that Thurgood called Cassie a douchebag, or him a cunt. Either way, Thurgood doesn't care; there's nothing he can do to make the Uldwars abhor him more.

Thurgood motions for Josh to take a seat in front of the desk, while Thurgood sits down behind. The office itself is fairly small, has by now five filing cabinets, an LCD computer monitor on the side of the desk closest to the outer wall, and the desk itself is littered with papers. The LED lights came on automatically when Thurgood opened the door, strips around the wall on simple crown molding set at a 45-degree angle, all warm white.

"So, ya just lookin' for a job, or do ya wanna join our house?"

Josh filed in behind Thurgood, chuckling as he explained what had happened. Typical politics. Someone had gotten sore assed because they weren't used to having roughnecks in their circles. The Merc took his seat, making himself cozy for a second before responding to Thurgood's question.

Joining House Singlance at the present would be political suicide. Most people would probably do well to avoid such, but Joshua... Well, he was looking for an excuse to go down swinging. Always had, always would. He had worked beside the Grandian Court time and time again, always treated like a dog because of his status as a soldier, only tolerated because of his sister's research. He had hated it. This was different though, the siblings empathized with the commonwealth.

"Join House Singlance? Shit... Sign me up. I could use a new name."

Josh joked, being completely serious. A single Noble House which boasted two heroes of Lunaris would be no laughing matter.

"Well, uh, the adoption route is really only open to those younger than us, first because the Department of Health won't let us adopt anybody older, second...

...don't think you wanna be callin' me dad," Thurgood replies. "There is another way though: service. The other noble houses are full of servants that they love to keep at arms-length from the house, as well as those that are essentially lesser courtiers that are a little closer. That's bullshit; if you're working for us, you're either part of the house or not. That said though, we're not just giving out positions within our house like Costco does free samples: ya gotta earn it. Before I start that process though, I need to know what skills, other than bullshitt'n, you can offer us, and just as important, your real name. Av might know it, but she's in Andelusia Castle prob'ly pissin' other nobles off even worse than I would right now."

Edited by notmuch_23

'Uuughh... Fuckin paperwork.'

How could the thought not have crossed his mind. There was always paperwork. Josh had developed multiple styles of application for his magical prowess, and learned vast amounts of knowledge about magitech, but the paperwork was definitely not his strong suite. Still, he had little choice. He thought for a second and began his first formal introduction.

"Joshua Dylan Rymer. Formerly the second in command of the Grandian Hybrid Operations Force. I specialized as an improvisational sabotage and demolitions expert, using electromagnetic force to alter terrain and manipulate machinery. I studied arcane structure development, and runic inscription at the military academy to better utilize Grandian technology."

The soldier almost sounded automated; conditioned to respond this way. A few more words almost slipped out, but were withheld because his military detail was irrelevant. He elaborated briefly to clarify the extent of his generally un-applied talent.

"In short, I can integrate with, create, and destabilize magitech. In addition, I can conjure and manipulate magnetic fields and electric currents, as well as the other fundamental attributes of natural elements. I've only studied electricity extensively, but the elemental laws of this world appear to mirror those of Grandis so I'm sure that I could improve."

Unbeknownst was the fact that the man was a category nine mage in his homeworld, being outclassed in strength by only raw elemental entities themselves, which had been before he had become one himself. The Grandian glyphs he had memorized still affected this world, which led Josh to believe that the two pulled magic into their worlds respectively from the same source. If this held true, then Josh would be considered an elemental apparition, being manifest of this source of energy. A sentient bioform of raw magic.

"I mean, I magleved a multi ton catwalk into a giant snakes face.... I think that speaks for itself." Josh shrugged, unsure of what qualities Thurgood was looking for.

The skills and accomplishments Josh just rattled off really impressex Thurgood, but the "noble" didn't show it, though it does make Thurgood a little nervous to speak the next bunch of words.

"For new recruits into House Singlance, we're adopting the motorcycle club system," Thurgood says, "and it's the same for those seeking both adoptions and service positions. We need to see what kind of person you are, if you have the skills you say you do, if you'll be a good addition to our house, and well, if you can handle the pressure of being part of House Singlance, As part of it, I'll teach you how to drive, we'll see how well you can handle certain combat situations, and really test your loyalty to Taen, or whatever the fuck they're callin' the empire now, and to us. If you manage to impress both me and Aveline, more importantly Aveline, you'll be able to call yourself a noble, and enjoy all of the benifits of being a member of House Singlance, when we find out what those are. This means though, if you aren't familiar with how motorcycle clubs work, that barring sexual and egregiously and clearly lethal tasks, for at least the next six months, your name will not be Joshua Dylan Rymer, but Prospect, and you'll be our bitch."

Thurgood lets that sink in, and thinks about what he'll have prospects wear, and for that matter, full members of the house. It won't be a "cut", but it won't be formal either. Where on Valucre cpuld he get polo shirts?

"Well, the choice is yours, Rymer."

The choice was indeed his. While the thought of six months of service didn't exactly sit well in his gut, the merc had served harsher tyrants in more dire times. A test of cunning, identity, and aptitude hardly seemed inappropriate here. Josh would definitely have to show what little merrit he had left in these colors of his. The room grew unpleasantly silent, causing Josh to scoff and spit up his response sourly.

"Fine. Let's fucking do this.." 

He bitched and moaned already. This was his choice, he'd see it through no matter what, but he probably wouldn't enjoy this part of the process that much. Shit, who would? Still, he was no slouch, and he'd go the extra mile to get the job done. Josh sighed, cupping his face in disbelief and gritting his teeth before continuing.

"Alright then... Where and when do we start?"

Josh asked eagerly, assuming that he should jump into his position headlong, a strong suite of his. He had assumed that Thurgood already had something in mind, knowing all too well that the siblings generally stayed very busy.