supernal

Persistent Alternative settings

Not nearly to the same level of detail as we have available for the Valucre canon, I'd be interested in providing some shared settings that people can interact with in Alternative and am curious who else might be interested in doing something like this together or in parallel.

Like maybe a persistent Prohibition Era New York or Chicago or Las Vegas (or all 3) that provides a shared setting for roleplay in Alt and can even be modified through character action. Maybe it'll just be a changelog style thread where anyone can post an update to it or something like that

Some ideas:

• Prohibition Era Someplace for gangster style roleplay
  • Something more Scifi
  • Modern earth 
  • A downton abbey type place 
  • Something superhero / My Hero like
  • Steampunk
  • Post apoc / zombie 

Who wants to do something like that?

Created:

1. Endless worlds - science fantasy
  2. Oatpeak - western
  3. Cicero - Noir / prohibition
Edited by supernal

PICK ME, PICK ME! ? I'd love alternative setting sandboxes to play in ?

10 minutes ago, KittyvonCupcake said:

If anyone made a persistent Regency Era England with the intentions of creating Jane Austen style spin offs, my body would be so ready.

Amen, friend-o, same here ? I'd so be down for that

25 minutes ago, KittyvonCupcake said:

If anyone made a persistent Regency Era England with the intentions of creating Jane Austen style spin offs, my body would be so ready.

12 minutes ago, vielle said:

PICK ME, PICK ME! ? I'd love alternative setting sandboxes to play in ?

Amen, friend-o, same here ? I'd so be down for that

Anyone can have at it really but that said do I sense our first contender already? Should whatever regency era England means be the first pick!? SHALL WE!?

4 hours ago, supernal said:

Should whatever regency era England means be the first pick!? SHALL WE!?

Should whatever regency era England means

SHOULD WHATEVER REGENCY ERA ENGLAND MEANS

My dear Supernal, I declare there is no greater pleasure than losing one's self in novels of the Regency era. Indulge your imagination in every possible flight.

4 hours ago, supernal said:

Anyone can have at it really but that said do I sense our first contender already? Should whatever regency era England means be the first pick!? SHALL WE!?

Early 1800s. The King's son ruled as a King Regent or something. 

Anyways, I'm down af for the Prohibition Era. Dibs on Eliot Ness. I'll be Kevin Costner looking edgy telling everyone to "never stop fighting till the fight is done." Literally probably my favorite time period. I was Eliot Ness for Halloween in my senior year of high school. Fedora and all. No regrets.

18 hours ago, KittyvonCupcake said:

My dear Supernal, I declare there is no greater pleasure than losing one's self in novels of the Regency era. Indulge your imagination in every possible flight.

Maybe we should start with a specific location like a downton abbey estate and village or whatever is appropriate and then add a few hotspots? I think the key will be limiting the scope at first and then if it expands it does so through people adding to it 

17 hours ago, Ataraxy said:

Early 1800s. The King's son ruled as a King Regent or something. 

Anyways, I'm down af for the Prohibition Era. Dibs on Eliot Ness. I'll be Kevin Costner looking edgy telling everyone to "never stop fighting till the fight is done." Literally probably my favorite time period. I was Eliot Ness for Halloween in my senior year of high school. Fedora and all. No regrets.

Where did that happen like Chicago?

3 minutes ago, supernal said:

Where did that happen like Chicago?

Yup! City of crime lol

Edit: Real life Gotham

Edit: The CW actually filmed the crossover of Batwoman in Chicago cause it's more Gotham like than Vancouver. Fun fact

Edited by Ataraxy

I’d be interested in some Space Fantasy. Laser guns and beam swords and ships with daredevil captains and plucky crew and femme fatale space babes. A setting not like with our modern understanding of spaceflight and physics. More of a retro feel, like how we saw space in the 60s and 70s. 

We gotta dream about space again, about fantastical aliens with strange bodies and exotic worlds with strange laws. That’s the setting I’d love to see. 

15 minutes ago, Vansin said:

I’d be interested in some Space Fantasy. Laser guns and beam swords and ships with daredevil captains and plucky crew and femme fatale space babes. A setting not like with our modern understanding of spaceflight and physics. More of a retro feel, like how we saw space in the 60s and 70s

We gotta dream about space again, about fantastical aliens with strange bodies and exotic worlds with strange laws. That’s the setting I’d love to see. 

Disco in space? Groovy baby. I can dig it!

So in the way that everything looks like a nail to a hammer, I think the first step here is to arrive at a common use template that people can modify to their uses. Here's what I've come up with, using 1920s Chicago snippets to illustrate:

### 

Premise
This is to provide some overall direction to the overall fabric of the story and not to dictate what any particular story has to be "about". Against this backdrop could be a simple romance, a Mark Twain type of adventure, a story of industry, so on. 

Prohibition has just been announced. Liquor is illegal. Organized crime is so new a concept its basically inconceivable and yet criminals are organizing to bootleg liquor. The police are trying to figure out how to find the heads and disrupt the trade. 

Common Tech
Even if it is something as easy to look up as a real world time period and location we should provide people with a baseline

Telegraph for long distance communications. Consumer radio is just becoming a thing for people to listen to the news and is a craze that is sweeping the nation. No cell phones. Television is 7 years away. 

Common Attire
Rather than text descriptions this can probably be an assortment of images for different styles for people in different walks of life. 

Hotspots
I think it's very important to only add 2-3 of these, the idea being to give a few options to start things off but not to exhaust possibilities because we want people adding to it over time

Carmen's - Nightclub
Police Station - Cops
Family Diner - A mom and pop burger and shake shop that also deals meth

###

The "canon process" here would be Changelog like. Basically people would respond to the main thread and say what's changed. In an ideal world the first post would be updated for this but that's a nice-to-have and not a need; the point is that the posts also track what's happening reading top down so someone could be like

"Family diner now sells guns too. Thread: <link>"

Or 

"One of the main criminal heads has been captured. Thread: <link>"

Or

"Carmen's has some competition in the form of Mario's. Thread: <link>"

And no approval process. No one is in charge of the area, anyone comes in and just lets people know what they've been doing.

###

Ok that's what I got, what do you all think? If you like it enough to use it as a baseline even with modifications then I say pick your favorite thing and throw something up in Alt for us! I'm also thinking of using generating some maps with labels for the hotspots to give people orientation, and floor plans for one or two of the hotspots, but we'll get to that bridge after the first!

Edited by supernal

11 hours ago, Vansin said:

I’d be interested in some Space Fantasy. Laser guns and beam swords and ships with daredevil captains and plucky crew and femme fatale space babes. A setting not like with our modern understanding of spaceflight and physics. More of a retro feel, like how we saw space in the 60s and 70s. 

This. So much this. I will support the living shit out of anything that lets me play out my zany space odysseys.