Ataraxy

The Tournament of Reverie (T1e)

Dawn breaks and it is finally the 24th of December. The sun rises with you as you leave your room, perhaps greeted with sight of many Reverie Cauldrons. Outside on the streets of Andelusia, hundreds of combatants are arriving from all over Valucre in the hopes of winning the Reverie Tournament and being awarded the prizes. They head toward the newly renovated arena. A grandiose structure in Andelusia that dwarfs even the royal castle. Hundreds of thousands can be seated in it, large screens floating above the grounds that are there to depict the tournament's fighters. 

Time flies by until the clock strikes noon.

The first contestants walk out into the spotlight.

And the tournament begins.

Related image

Taking into consideration how the majority of votes for the tournament system went toward T1, this tournament will adhere to that public decision. However, since the Chosen Ruleset is not longer available on Valucre and has been removed as any sort of default combat system, this tournament will be replacing it with T1 Evolution. It still follows the general system of T1 but as stricter guidelines to it. You can find the rules HERE

Each fighter can either be an Independent Fighter, meaning they have no allegiance; or a representative fighter, meaning they represent a nation or group of people. It's not exactly important OOC so you don't really have to tell me, but I think it's a cool narrative addition that can be implemented IC. 

The battleground is stationary and is in the middle of a very large arena, but it changes per round so no two rounds have the same arena. One battle may have the arena change to a field filled with lava while the other may be filled with water and the occasional small land mass. Who knows. 

Prizes

Third Place: IC riches and 5 square miles of land in Ursa Madeum

Second Place: IC riches, 5 square miles of land in Ursa Madeum, a powerful custom made weapon of material found only in the land of Taen

First Place: IC riches, 8 square miles of land in Ursa Madeum, granted knighthood by the Veluriyam Emperor and titled the "Reverie Champion," and are to be handed the powerful S class artifact Worldbreaker

Time Limits

• You have 7 posts to win! After 7 posts, if there's no winner after 7 posts each, whoever has the highest HP wins. 
  • If TWO WEEKS pass by and there's still no winner, the fight will be stopped and whoever has the highest HP wins. I'm not looking to see this last a year. 
  • If the fight ends and participants have an equal HP count, then either they will enter a SUDDEN DEATH match where the first one to score wins or the match will be graded based on flow, creativity, mechanics, and other subjective stuff. 

Judges

• Best case scenario, I'd like to have three judges with each being assigned to a fight in the first rounds and then coming together as there are less and less rounds. However, I understand that this system is relatively new so there aren't a lot of players who really understand it enough to be trusted to make proper decisions. So, if there aren't three judges who volunteer (all of which I have to approve, just applying does guarantee you a seat), I'll simply excuse myself from the tournament and be the sole judge. I have the time for it, in any case lol
  • Another note, is that judges will only speak up if they are called upon. And in order to call upon a judge, the players must ask a specific questions. A judge is to answer that specific question and nothing else. 
  • A judge is not to retcon past posts. A judge can look at previous posts as reference, but can only be called upon to judge the most current post. 

1. Me
  2. ???
  3. ???

Participants

• Make sure you read the rules. This is not the Chosen Ruleset, this is T1 Evolution. There are extra guidelines in T1e that have to be followed. I can't stress reading the instructions linked above enough. I can't help you if you don't read the rules. That's unfair to your opponent who did. 
  • Character sheets are not required, but you submit the template I explain in the rules. This can be made public, ie added to a character sheet, or sent through a PM to keep it private. I don't think it's overly important. 

1. Me, if enough judges
  2. @The Alexandrian
  3. @Veloci-Rapture
  4. @jaistlyn
  5. @Sigil Warden

@amenities @jaistlyn @The Bone King @The Alexandrian - you guys showed interest, so if you're still interested in participating, post down below and I'll add you to the roster!

Edited by Ataraxy

Thank you for tagging me.  I'd like to participate in this event, and I have a couple of questions before I choose/create a character for this tournament.

1. Will characters be forced to use blunted weapons?
  2. Will canon-backed items confer more bonuses in this tournament than regular items?
  3. How will characters avoid lethal damage and the possibility of incurring permanent injuries?  If there is no IC provision for this, would one be desirable?
  4. How should players treat environmental hazards inherent to the selected stage?  Normal humans, for example, would apparently light on fire if they were within 2 meters of lava.
Edited by The Alexandrian

34 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

Thank you for tagging me.  I'd like to participate in this event, and I have a couple of questions before I choose/create a character for this tournament.

1. Will characters be forced to use blunted weapons?
  2. Will canon-backed items confer more bonuses in this tournament than regular items?
  3. How will characters avoid lethal damage and the possibility of incurring permanent injuries?  If there is no IC provision for this, would one be desirable?
  4. How should players treat environmental hazards inherent to the selected stage?  Normal humans, for example, would apparently light on fire if they were within 2 meters of lava.

All great questions! And awesome! I'll add you to the roster then 🙂

1. Nope!
  2. Since the purpose of T1 is inherently to make things equal, canon-backed weapons do not give an edge. Unfortunate, I know, but them's the game.
  3. I actually meant to add this, but completely forgot to write it in so thanks for asking lol
    1. Along with healing mages standing by at the ready, there is a healing barrier around the battle field that prevents fatal blows. Dropping to 0 HP can mean death, but it can also just mean losing the fight or consciousness.
    2. If your character loses an arm, it can be healed back on afterward, for example. Imperial Healers are very good at their jobs 😄
  4. I actually didn't know that! Interesting fact. I would say to treat environmental hazards more as potential tools for victory than innate hazards. So it would be very hot, but you wouldn't light on fire. Unless you're, you know, thrown into it. After all, our characters generally have a captain america base physical structure. I will try to be as clear as possible when posting the battleground intro, however. So if it doesn't say "lava will burn your face off within 2 meters," it's safe to assume that it doesn't and you can just treat it as something "hot that can burn you upon contact." 
    1. Note: I probably won't use lava though, now that I know about that. Kinda puts a damper on SW Revenge of the Sith's final battle. 
Edited by Ataraxy

2 hours ago, Ataraxy said:

Note: I probably won't use lava though, now that I know about that. Kinda puts a damper on SW Revenge of the Sith's final battle. 

Actually, the big problem with lava isn't just the heat. I mean, that sucks too. But before you even got to the heat, you'd probably keel over and asphyxiate from the cocktail of horrific gasses the lava produces, assuming the superheated air doesn't torch your lungs first (I'm too lazy to look up which one of those things happens before the other). AFTER all that, the clothes on your lifeless corpse would combust, and your earthly remains would quickly be consumed by the Wick Effect, leaving literally nothing behind, not even bones or teeth. 

Maybe your feet. Your feet might survive. Then they'd melt. So your big toe bone might be all that was left of you. But that's speculation.

ANYWAY!

Would Ananias be too overpowered for this contest? You've met Ana. You've read the rules (that's my next stop, promise). What do you think?

1 minute ago, Veloci-Rapture said:

@Ataraxy

You might want to go back into your rules post and change the font color. It's super hard to read with the forum's default background, at least the top half is. I had to copy/paste/remove formatting into google docs. 

Edited!

10 minutes ago, Veloci-Rapture said:

Actually, the big problem with lava isn't just the heat. I mean, that sucks too. But before you even got to the heat, you'd probably keel over and asphyxiate from the cocktail of horrific gasses the lava produces, assuming the superheated air doesn't torch your lungs first (I'm too lazy to look up which one of those things happens before the other). AFTER all that, the clothes on your lifeless corpse would combust, and your earthly remains would quickly be consumed by the Wick Effect, leaving literally nothing behind, not even bones or teeth. 

Maybe your feet. Your feet might survive. Then they'd melt. So your big toe bone might be all that was left of you. But that's speculation.

ANYWAY!

Would Ananias be too overpowered for this contest? You've met Ana. You've read the rules (that's my next stop, promise). What do you think?

She'll be totally fine. I believe the system I've created works to equalize the playing field regardless of the character.

I'll post my template draft here since I haven't participated in a T1-based tournament before and would appreciate feedback on this character's template (I have no idea if the character is balanced and am slightly concerned about that; I'm having difficulty assigning damage points to abilities and such).  This power set ended up a lot more complicated than I initially thought it would be!  >.<  I'll revise the format later, but for now, here's the basic set of powers I'm attempting to work and a little extra background on the character.

Camelia Sorina - Representing House Glasmann and House Thal'krotr

Spoiler

General:

Species: Catperson

Type: Summoner/Sorcerer

Persistent Conditions (Innate Advantages and Disadvantages):

Elemental/Magical Affinities: Raw Magic Affinity (I.E. Unless Otherwise Specified, Magical Attacks Are Raw Magic Type)

Body Size: Small and Slight (Under 5'; Approximately 110 lbs; Confers Innate Penalty to Physical Power and Penalty to Opponent's Chance to Hit)

Physical Power: Low (Body Size Penalty)

Magical Power: High (Gifted Summoner/Sorcerer)

Primary Stat: Magical POW

Secondary Stat: Movement Speed (Distinct from DEX)

Equipment:

1. One Leather-Bound Grimoire
  2. One Wand (Fires 1 DP Raw Magic Bolts)
  3. 5'-2" High Metal Scutum (Shield)
  4. Lengths of Heavy-Duty Chain (Coiled Around Forearms)
  5. Grade 38 Titanium Combat Armor (To Prevent Fatalities)

Abilities:

Mark of Decay (Insta-strike) - If Camelia's attacks hit or Camelia is hit by an object, that target/object is marked.  Marked target may be organic or inorganic.  Marks cause no direct damage.  Mark stat targets must be called when Camelia's marks are placed.

Leech Potential(Insta-strike; Technically Prepped) - Camelia "explodes" her marks, removing stacks of marks while leeching the main stat the target relied on since the first mark was placed.  This confers a Persistent Advantage/straight healing to Camelia and a corresponding Persistent Disadvantage/straight damage to her opponent.  In general, attribute theft will target CON, Magical POW, Physical POW, DEX, or Movement Speed, but Camelia will sometimes target elemental affinities thereby changing the type of her magical attacks.  This attack scales like a prepped attack with 0 base damage for damage/healing.  Similar scaling should be applied to buffs and debuffs.

Summon Lesser Servitor (Prepped Attack) - Camelia expends preps or burns stolen attributes (Persistent Advantages) to summon various creatures to the battlefield.  Scaling is as follows:

• 1 Prep/Persistent Advantage Point Expended: Summons a murder of nightmarish crows capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn and obscuring portions of the battlefield.  Crows can move and attack in the same post as they are summoned.  They are driven off upon taking 1 point damage, concentrated or area of effect, but they may return after a 1 round delay until they either take 2 points of damage total or 1 point of area-of-effect damage.
  • 2 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons two large celestial wolves capable of dealing 1 physical/holy damage each per turn.  Celestial wolves have 3 health each and high movement speed.  Wolves can move on the same turn as they are summoned but cannot attack.  Celestial wolves can prep an area-of-effect attack to cleanse the area surrounding them of deleterious effects and curses.  This attack has a base damage of 1 point.  Standard physical attacks launched by celestial wolves have a chance of knocking down/pinning the target.
  • 3 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons an undead bear with 5 health capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn.  The undead bear does not shy away from damage; it cannot move or attack in the first turn it is summoned (during which it preps its passive).  It is not particularly mobile.  Attacks the undead bear lands cause an additional 1 point of necrotic-type Persistent Damage and can stack up to four times.
  • 4 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons a skeletal gladiator with 7 health capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn.  When the skeletal gladiator is summoned, Camelia links her hp to its hp.  It absorbs damage points Camelia would incur until it is destroyed.  The gladiator spawns with an aura of pestilence, causing the wounds of Camelia's enemies within 5 meters of its position to fester, resulting in a Persistent Disadvantage.

Note that summoned creatures can take advantage of Persistent and Situational Advantages to increase their damage output.  They are spawned within 5 meters of Camelia in any direction.

Mortification of the Flesh (Insta-strike/Prepped Attack) - An agonizing beam follows Camelia's outstretched limbs to a distant target.  The sickly green beam rakes across matter, opening superficial wounds and degrading the integrity of items in its path.  Though it deals only 1 damage point against pristine targets, its damage scales with the amount of damage the target has incurred up to a max of 4 innate damage points when the target has three hit points remaining (it increases about 1 point for every 4 hit points the target loses).

Accursed Kitten (Prepped Transformation) - Camelia expends seven preps/stolen attributes to transform into a weretiger.  As a weretiger, Camelia gains massive bonuses to physical power and speed.  Her physical attacks have a chance to knock over opponents and pin opponents to the ground.  Grounded opponents are mauled when they are attacked, dealing additional Situational Damage.  In weretiger form, Camelia passively regenerates 1 point of hp per round.

Edited by The Alexandrian

24 minutes ago, The Alexandrian said:

I'll post my template draft here since I haven't participated in a T1-based tournament before and would appreciate feedback on this character's template (I have no idea if the character is balanced and am slightly concerned about that; I'm having difficulty assigning damage points to abilities and such).  This power set ended up a lot more complicated than I initially thought it would be!  >.<  I'll revise the format later, but for now, here's the basic set of powers I'm attempting to work and a little extra background on the character.

Camelia Sorina - Representing House Glasmann and House Thal'krotr

Hide contents

General:

Species: Catperson

Type: Summoner/Sorcerer

Persistent Conditions (Innate Advantages and Disadvantages):

Elemental/Magical Affinities: Raw Magic Affinity (I.E. Unless Otherwise Specified, Magical Attacks Are Raw Magic Type)

Body Size: Small and Slight (Under 5'; Approximately 110 lbs; Confers Innate Penalty to Physical Power and Penalty to Opponent's Chance to Hit)

Physical Power: Low (Body Size Penalty)

Magical Power: High (Gifted Summoner/Sorcerer)

Primary Stat: Magical POW

Secondary Stat: Movement Speed (Distinct from DEX)

Equipment:

1. One Leather-Bound Grimoire
  2. One Wand (Fires 1 DP Raw Magic Bolts)
  3. 5'-2" High Metal Scutum (Shield)
  4. Lengths of Heavy-Duty Chain (Coiled Around Forearms)
  5. Grade 38 Titanium Combat Armor (To Prevent Fatalities)

Abilities:

Mark of Decay (Insta-strike) - If Camelia's attacks hit or Camelia is hit by an object, that target/object is marked.  Marked target may be organic or inorganic.  Marks cause no direct damage.  Mark stat targets must be called when Camelia's marks are placed.

Leech Potential(Insta-strike; Technically Prepped) - Camelia "explodes" her marks, removing stacks of marks while leeching the main stat the target relied on since the first mark was placed.  This confers a Persistent Advantage/straight healing to Camelia and a corresponding Persistent Disadvantage/straight damage to her opponent.  In general, attribute theft will target CON, Magical POW, Physical POW, DEX, or Movement Speed, but Camelia will sometimes target elemental affinities thereby changing the type of her magical attacks.  This attack scales like a prepped attack with 0 base damage for damage/healing.  Similar scaling should be applied to buffs and debuffs.

Summon Lesser Servitor (Prepped Attack) - Camelia expends preps or burns stolen attributes (Persistent Advantages) to summon various creatures to the battlefield.  Scaling is as follows:

• 1 Prep/Persistent Advantage Point Expended: Summons a murder of nightmarish crows capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn and obscuring portions of the battlefield.  Crows can move and attack in the same post as they are summoned.  They are driven off upon taking 1 point damage, concentrated or area of effect, but they may return after a 1 round delay until they either take 2 points of damage total or 1 point of area-of-effect damage.
  • 2 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons two large celestial wolves capable of dealing 1 physical/holy damage each per turn.  Celestial wolves have 3 health each and high movement speed.  Wolves can move on the same turn as they are summoned but cannot attack.  Celestial wolves can prep an area-of-effect attack to cleanse the area surrounding them of deleterious effects and curses.  This attack has a base damage of 1 point.  Standard physical attacks launched by celestial wolves have a chance of knocking down/pinning the target.
  • 3 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons an undead bear with 5 health capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn.  The undead bear does not shy away from damage; it cannot move or attack in the first turn it is summoned (during which it preps its passive).  It is not particularly mobile.  Attacks the undead bear lands cause an additional 1 point of necrotic-type Persistent Damage and can stack up to four times.
  • 4 Preps/Persistent Advantage Points Expended: Summons a skeletal gladiator with 7 health capable of dealing 1 physical damage per turn.  When the skeletal gladiator is summoned, Camelia links her hp to its hp.  It absorbs damage points Camelia would incur until it is destroyed.  The gladiator spawns with an aura of pestilence, causing the wounds of Camelia's enemies within 5 meters of its position to fester, resulting in a Persistent Disadvantage.

Note that summoned creatures can take advantage of Persistent and Situational Advantages to increase their damage output.  They are spawned within 5 meters of Camelia in any direction.

Mortification of the Flesh (Insta-strike/Prepped Attack) - An agonizing beam follows Camelia's outstretched limbs to a distant target.  The sickly green beam rakes across matter, opening superficial wounds and degrading the integrity of items in its path.  Though it deals only 1 damage point against pristine targets, its damage scales with the amount of damage the target has incurred up to a max of 4 innate damage points when the target has three hit points remaining (it increases about 1 point for every 4 hit points the target loses).

Accursed Kitten (Prepped Transformation) - Camelia expends seven preps/stolen attributes to transform into a weretiger.  As a weretiger, Camelia gains massive bonuses to physical power and speed.  Her physical attacks have a chance to knock over opponents and pin opponents to the ground.  Grounded opponents are mauled when they are attacked, dealing additional Situational Damage.  In weretiger form, Camelia passively regenerates 1 point of hp per round.

At first read through it sounds fine, but there's a lot there. I'll better be able to judge the skillset's balance once you've formatted it according to the template lol

35 minutes ago, jaistlyn said:

I will be participating! I need a few days to think of abilities though.

No worries! The tournament won't start until after New Years! Since it's the holidays I don't want to interrupt people's time with family haha

Notes:

I scaled up innate DP from 1.5-2 and 2.5-3 just to make it easier while doing in game calculating. We'll see whether that .5 DP increase messes with how fast the fights progress or not.

Happy New Year everyone! As it's now 2019, I'm asking that people start making and submitting their ability templates for review. I'm always here if you'd like to bounce ideas off me or want to check to see if you're doing something right. I'm sure most templates will only need a couple tweaks. First time using a new ruleset and all.

ALSO!! I know it can seem like a lot for people who are doing this for the first time, but it's really not that complicated. The longest part is creating the character sheet template. But, once that's done, you never have to do it again lol (I also think it's one of the funnest part though >.>)

Feel free to ask questions here as well! I'm more than happy to answer them. 

Right now the tournament is looking like it's going to be Round Robin. Not really enough people for an elimination type. 

Edited by Ataraxy