Darling König

The Dark Horse, A Steampunk Adventure

How long had it been since Reinhardt had found himself in this strange and fascinating new world? What had been born from an Alchemical mishap became one of his crowning discoveries. There existed realms of Existence outside Earth and his own timeline. Or perhaps he should say Dimension, Universe? Whatever the case may be he had to find a way to connect a path between this realm of Existence and back home in France. For a few reasons. one of which was his coven must be deathly scared due to his absence. Or perhaps time was affected differently and nothing had changed since his accident. But such questions and answers would have to wait. He had set up several bases of operations across this world so He could always have a place to fall back to should  the Winds of Favor blow against him suddenly. 

He was dressed in in leather leggings and vest. He had a pair of goggles resting atop of his head. he had a white tee under his vest as he began working on his latest piece of work. A Bike that hovered off the ground but was powered by Steam. He had seen in other nations similar vehicles powered by Mystical and Arcane means. But he lacked any knowledge of how those contraptions worked and decided he would replicate their feats with his own knowledge and understanding. An oil stain streaked his right cheek. He grabbed a wrench and began torquing a bolt into place with ease. He found solace in his solitude in his repetitive actions while building new devices. 

@Hani

It had been about a week or so when Rin had first come across the blonde man, who had caught her attention when she had seen him buying spare parts for what she could only assume to be a bike. That ounce of interest led her to the current situation she was in, which was hiding near the entrance of his workspace silently observing him work as she casually drank tea from her metal canteen. From what she could tell he was pretty efficient in building from nothing to something, which was what she was looking for. Rin herself liked to tinker with broken things and fix them up, but she needed someone with more knowledge on how to invent and innovate things, specifically bikes, which he seemed to know. 

After what seemed like minutes, the girl finally stepped out of the shadows and into the light of the room. Her black leather boots lightly thudded against the ground as she made her way over to the blonde. Her baggy green sweat pants rested snuggly across her hips, while the pant legs were tucked into her boots. She wore a short black tank top that stopped a bit above her belly button, showcasing a small amount of skin. 

“How long have you been working on this?” The brunette questioned as her form of greeting. 

Though he hated to admit it, he had heard the girl sitting outside his garage. Though for the most part he had to feign slight surprise when she walked up. He looked up at her a bit as he began to silently translate her dialect. He cleared his throat as he had the taste of oil and soot now in his mouth. He said in a rather thick German accent "I have  been on this particular project for the last two or three months. But this one is I'd say the fourth or fifth iteration of it's line." He stood up and waved his hand across his garage. Several other completed Steambikes rested with copious amounts of dust on them. He said "The previous versions were successful. But alas they weren't exactly what I was looking for. Plus what's the point of riding them when you're alone?" His eyes snapped to the side as his words became sharp "And don't you say a damn thing you useless piles of scrap metal and bolts. You know you can't ride because you weigh too damn much."

The hiss of steam could be heard coming from a hallway leading into the garage and loud stomping echoed as a brittle and metallic voice replied in a French accent "Oh don't be so rude while we have guests. Besides you can't blame me for wanting to be there by your side and enjoying the things you can see and do." A human sized machine made out of steel and copper came out. It had a clearly feminine design but there was no face to it. Reinhardt rolled his eyes as he said "Ja Amalia, I know. Perhaps making this Robot with that communicator was more trouble than good." The Robot "Amalia" giggled as she turned and asked "Million pardon madame. But we haven't introduced ourselves. I am Amalia Vess, and this curt man is Reinhardt Relzion. How may we assist you today?"

2b043dc875d7b1536d6ea5f6fa4f6e4c.jpg

The city was quite diverse when it came to the people who inhabited it, and with that diversity came different languages and accents. His manner of pronunciation was not something she had heard before, which made her wonder where exactly he came from.

As he gestured to the bikes Ha Rin directed her gaze to them and raised a brow in pleasant surprise. Each bike was unique yet similar to its predecessor, and have clearly remained untouched with the layer of dust atop of them. At his following words, Rin look to him in disbelief, then heard the loud stomps. Her head snapped in the direction of the hallway to see the female robot come out. A small smile appeared on her lips, since for a split second she had thought he had gone mad and actually was talking to a pile of metal scraps and bolts.

“I’m Ha Rin Lee, but I go by Rin.” She briefly glanced to the blonde male, who she now knew the name of, then looked to Amalia once more. “I’m finally able to participate in the city’s hoverbike races, but the hoverbike I have isn’t exactly up to par or suitable for such extremities. So, I’m searching for someone that can build me another hoverbike.” Turning to the tall blonde, she looked at him for a second. “And you seem like an eligible candidate for the job. What do you say?”

Edited by Hani

Amalia nodded as she said "Well Madame Rin feel free to take a seat in the garage. I tell Rein to keep the door shut but he always says something about the fumes and other such things. I'll fetch you some refreshments." The Robot turned and stomped back into the garage." Reinhardt had shook his head and rolled his eyes as he muttered "Damn Hunter doesn't know the first thing about Alchemy or Steamwork." Once Amalia was gone he looked over at Rin as he said "Forgive Amalia, She can be incorrigible at times. As for your request. While I have many Bikes I haven't a Clue if they can meet your need. I'm a fine Inventor, that is not an Issue. But I haven't tuned anyone of these bikes for the purpose of racing. But I can look into that, Let it not be said Reinhardt Relzion was ever scared of a Challenge or doing something new." He waved at the bikes as he said "The keys are on the table feel free try them out. They're all steampowered so you'll have to give the boilers a minute or two to heat up." 

"Ah! Thank you Amalia!" Rin called after the robot as she took her leave, before returning her gaze to Rein. 

Rin couldn't help the grin of excitement that crossed her lips as he gave her the opportunity to try out the bikes, and she was ready to run over but paused. "Steampowered? How does that work?" She questioned while making her way over to the bikes, and decided to ride the closest one. She dusted off the seat of the bike causing a small dust cloud to fly off to the side. Just how long have these been sitting here, Rin wondered. 

Reinhrdt stood up and placed his wrench into the Toolbox as he answered Rin "I won't bore you with Specifics. But the general gist is that the bike is filled with Water. When you turn it on the water is sent into the Boiler in the engine and it turns that into Steam. The Steam serves as the power source for the engine. So long as you got water water in the tank you can keep driving." He walked over to the hover bike. He placed his hand and said "This is the Sunder-59 Falcon. A mid generation Hoverbike I made. Its a bit larger than my newest designs. But leaps and bounds smaller than my first few models." Amalia came out of the hallway giggling as she said "If you had seen them you'd think he was building a Carriage." The Robot hand a Tray with three cups and a Teapot on it. She waved for Rin to come and join her. She pulled out a Small table for the three to sit at. She said "I made some Tea for us. Do you drink Tea? Oh I'm making Crepes. I know for a fact you haven't had those. They're from Our Homeland."

137c400b3a711c2f2ae0a05ffe1a9e72.jpg

Rin stopped dusting off the bike to look at Reinhardt as he explained how the steam powered bike worked. Having water as fuel for a hoverbike was unusual, but surely not unheard of if he was making these types of bikes. “How long does it usually take for the bike to use up all the water?” Despite being on the clunkier side in regards to shape and size, Rin found herself liking the model. It would be great to use when just cruising around the city, but surely for racing it would burn out quick. It’s weight would surely slow it down, and it would have to work a bit harder to get it to go at high speeds. Unless if he had managed to find a way to somehow bypass all those variables. 

Rin’s fingers tingled, already longing to feel the bike’s handlebars beneath her fingertips. It was such an exhilarating feeling when the wind harshly whipped against your clothes, and the scenery passing you by in a flash. It truly made her feel alive and free, which was one of the many reasons why she started illegally racing. Money being another minor reason. It was more of a perk than anything and it helped with buying parts for her bike. 

“A carriage,” Rin questioned with a teasing grin present on her lips as she kept her gaze on Rein then looked to Amalia. “Were they really that big?” 

“Tea? I love tea. It’s the one thing I’m good at making in the kitchen.” Rin retreated from the bikes while rubbing her hands against the fabric of her sweats, trying to rid them of the dust. “What are crepes?” 

Edited by Hani

Reinhardt paused as he thought on Rin's question. He replied "I wouldn't really know. I have never driven them long enough to know their longevity. Since it's a mid generation model I imagine it has decent mileage. But I can't can't promise anything." His eyes narrowed as Rin joined in with Amalia's teasing. The Steamwork Robot nodded solemnly as she said "Indeed Rin, His first few models were as Large as he is is Cantankerous. Which is rather large if you ask me." She poured all three of them tea in the cups as she said "Well good thing I was already making some for Reinhardt. I'll bring you out the Crepes so you can taste a bit of our Homeland." The robot turned and swiftly strode away from the pair. reinhardt quipped softly raised the tea cup to his lips "They were not that big...just clunky looking.." He took a long sip and let out a satisfied sigh.  

Rin reached for a cup, brought it up to her lips, and let out a hum of delight after tasting the tea. At Rein’s small comment, Rin couldn’t help but to laugh lightly. “I’m sure she’s only joking.” 

The girl took another sip of her tea before casting a curious glance to the blonde. “Where is your homeland?”

Reinhardt nodded as he said "I know, Amalia's a cretin and savors in poking fun at my works. She believes my machines are things of the Devil. But here she is using one to speak with us. I love Irony the most. But as to your last question. I'm not certain you can truly comprehend what I will say. But I come from another realm of Existence. Where Amalia and I come from is a place called Earth. There is no Magic, There is only Science and religion. Our Science has brought us to the point of Steam based machinery and weapons. Like what I make. But needless to say I came to Valucre on accident after a heated debate with Amalia." There was a sigh from the doorway leading into the laboratory. Amalia stood there as she said "A Heated debate is putting it lightly Rein and you know that." Reinhardt nodded as he answered her "And yet our personal issues is none of this Human's concern." Amalia shook her head down as she put the plate of crepes down. She chided Reinhardt "Don't forget. You're Half Human too."

Rin had wondered if there was a realm beyond this world, but have never entertained the thought. She had merely brushed it off as something impossible, yet here was this man and this robot. Both from a realm that sounded strange. No magic? 

Amalia appeared once more with a plate full of what she assumed to be crepes. The dessert looked delicious, but her focus was mostly on Rein. “You’re half human?” Rin questioned with furrowed brows. 

Reinhardt internally groaned as he realized the Two Outsiders had unintentionally spilled the beans about their origins. Amalia giggled softly as she saw the disconcerted expression. Amalia nodded as she said "Yes, Reinahrdt and myself. We aren't from this realm called Valucre. Matter fact where we come from is simply called Earth. In our Realm there's no such thing as Magic or magitech. Just steam machines and religion. Though some may argue magic exists. But those are practitioners of the Black Arts and such things is heretical." Reinhardt waved his hand silencing Amalia as he finished his Crepe while Clearing his throat. He said "Amalia is too eager to talk about things best left alone...but since the Cat is out of the bag. We don't have a choice." 

Reinhardt rose from his seat and opened his mouth and showed Rin a rather Elongated Canine. He clenched his mouth and showed his upper canines were longer than normal before saying "I am what people in my Realm call a Dhampir. I am a half blood son of Vampire and a Human. Specifically my Mother was a Huntress of the Church like Amalia and my Father was an Alchemist of great Renown who also happened to be a  Pureblood Vampire. My Great-Great-Great-Great Grandsire was the one who invoked a ritual making our House into a Coven of Blood Drinking Vampires." He lifted another crepe to his lips as he asked "Is that enough for now?"

Edited by Saerwen Talmiel

Amalia was much more open about their origins, than Rein. Who clearly wanted to keep it under wraps. Taking a seat, Rin looked up at Rein as he revealed the elongated canines and just what exactly was he. 

"It's not." Rin answered simply while holding Rein's gaze. There were too many unanswered questions. So many things she wanted to know. "But seeing as you're reluctant to say more, I'll let it go." The male wasn't obligated to tell her anything more about Earth seeing as it was something personal, but it wasn't everyday that you encountered someone from another realm. Naturally, who wouldn't want to learn about such a thing. "For now, I'll settle with this crepe." The girl turned to crepes and picked one up, she eyed the treat for a second, before taking a bite. She quickly took another bite of the thin pancake, the taste delighting her taste buds. "This are delicious, Amalia."

Amalia nodded as she said "The Crepes are delightful. I'm glad there's someone else besides this old Stick in the mud who enjoys them." She rose as she said "I'll go and let you two Machine heads talk business. If you need me I'll be inside Cleaning around the house." The Steamwork robot walked out gracefully. Reinhardt sighed softly as he said "Now tell me how exactly you wish your Bike to be designed. What aspects do you need me to focus on?" Reinhardt wanted to put off anymore thoughts of Hoome and finding a way back off for now. Besides she was a client and he needed to know what exactly she wanted from his work.