Jump to content
Die Shize

Write with Me

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, Tyler said:

I'll note that if you do anything in Norkotia, there is a magical dampening effect in the region, particularly near the capital itself.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this, since nobody beside me has ever organized an RP in Norkotia before.

Your oversight is more than welcome, good sir. In fact, though the thread is 1x1 to start we are considering membership expansions, but maybe you could hop in either way and be an info bank? Help guide us along IC as much as OOC. Some character who knows their way around Norkotia. Like a conman who gets tied up with our characters or maybe a tour guide named Sally.

8 hours ago, Hurttoto said:

There are also other ideas that dont have threads yet

  • Algae lamps
  • Solar lance (battle ship weapon)
  • Whrms (sub-terrain robotic worm unit)
  • Sand reactor (harnessing the ancient sun rays trapped from within sand)
  • Thorium cruise missiles (the ultimate anti-nuke.

And meny more

I think

That all looks awesome. I dabbled in similar roleplay way back when. Don't know much science but I just winged it. Tell me more here or in a PM and we can consider an approach!

1 hour ago, supernal said:

Consider adopting some variant of brevity rules to keep a brisk and lively pacing!

https://www.valucre.com/topic/40841-i-challenge-you-to-brevity/

 

lol that is insane, I was just looking at that yesterday and considering it. I'm going to try this as I am in dire need of brevity (and sometimes broccoli)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

Your oversight is more than welcome, good sir. In fact, though the thread is 1x1 to start we are considering membership expansions, but maybe you could hop in either way and be an info bank? Help guide us along IC as much as OOC. Some character who knows their way around Norkotia. Like a conman who gets tied up with our characters or maybe a tour guide named Sally.

I'll definitely try to follow along and offer advisement OOC at first, and it makes it so much better for me if you guys follow brevity rules too (otherwise it can be a pain in the arse to read long-ass posts all the time). If the situation seems fitting, I can jump in with some local NPC types, but I'm going to at least try to be hands-off IC at the start. Unfortunately, I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to my own stuff, so hopefully I'll be able to restrain myself from getting technical about this or that. If anything, this is me trying to test myself to see how I handle people RPing in my setting without me controlling the story.

But who knows, I keep track of all my named NPCs, so maybe there will be a moment where one of them will crop up IC too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tyler said:

I'll definitely try to follow along and offer advisement OOC at first, and it makes it so much better for me if you guys follow brevity rules too (otherwise it can be a pain in the arse to read long-ass posts all the time). If the situation seems fitting, I can jump in with some local NPC types, but I'm going to at least try to be hands-off IC at the start. Unfortunately, I'm kind of a control freak when it comes to my own stuff, so hopefully I'll be able to restrain myself from getting technical about this or that. If anything, this is me trying to test myself to see how I handle people RPing in my setting without me controlling the story.

But who knows, I keep track of all my named NPCs, so maybe there will be a moment where one of them will crop up IC too. 

Yeah first thing I learned hard when I had my own roleplay setting to manage was the need to separate “solid lore” from “loose lore”.

Solid being things that rpers simply must adhere too, like maybe no magic in my land or acknowledging that my city is built on a hill. Loose being things like dinner table customs or my favorite NPC cafe manager’s work week schedule. Things that would be cool if other rpers acknowledged or even utilized, but that won’t break my land if they are ignored.

That being said, I have a habit of referencing to and trying to adhere to both “types” of user/creator/owner lore, especially if I’m roleplaying in a given setting, so don’t hesitate to point something out to me either as positive or a negative—I’ll gladly tweak the latter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

That being said, I have a habit of referencing to and trying to adhere to both “types” of user/creator/owner lore, especially if I’m roleplaying in a given setting, so don’t hesitate to point something out to me either as positive or a negative—I’ll gladly tweak the latter!

Cool. 👍

One thing I'll maybe forewarn you on is that the main Norkotian Lore article is slightly out-of-date, since the focus of most of my stories there have been about macro-scale political transition, so much of the politics and some of the culture and social situation are undergoing changes. So it's possible you may reference something that is not applicable anymore, but I'll be sure to let you know.

Oh, this is an important aspect too: What time of year are you putting this RP at? If you start it right now in-universe (January), Norkotia is going going to be pretty damn cold, so you had best have your characters dress appropriately for dry, windy, below 0 F temperatures. If you decide you want a warmer, summer setting, then you could move it to be a few months in the past, but that will likewise change the lore scenario a little bit too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Tyler said:

Cool. 👍

One thing I'll maybe forewarn you on is that the main Norkotian Lore article is slightly out-of-date, since the focus of most of my stories there have been about macro-scale political transition, so much of the politics and some of the culture and social situation are undergoing changes. So it's possible you may reference something that is not applicable anymore, but I'll be sure to let you know.

Oh, this is an important aspect too: What time of year are you putting this RP at? If you start it right now in-universe (January), Norkotia is going going to be pretty damn cold, so you had best have your characters dress appropriately for dry, windy, below 0 F temperatures. If you decide you want a warmer, summer setting, then you could move it to be a few months in the past, but that will likewise change the lore scenario a little bit too!

Well, referencing and whatnot usually only comes up with me, not just because, but based on circumstance, such as bringing up a major historical event if perhaps it serves as the basis for a political plot. Anything serious like that and I can appeal to you first; if I otherwise mention like a minir restaurant that has actually been destroyed then you can adjust me. : )

On the other point, I think it’s easier for me right now to adapt to the current weather than the geopolitical situation in the past lol. So I would wager that our thread takes place in the present and I’ll just have my character dress appropriately and don some suitable ski suit.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Die Shize said:

You have boosted my excitement, increased my confidence and I have nothing else to say beyond this:

  Reveal hidden contents

tenor.gif

My ticket? Here you go. It reads: "YOUR DEATH"

Now, in order to put my claim to the test, we also need to determine posting protocol...

I won't get a post in till this weekend but the thread can be made anytime.

Let's keep this strictly melee, with no magic or powerfully powerful powers like "firewind deep feet heal sneak attack x4!" or something polite like that.

I do have this quirk where the first attack must be established by the second post, though. So if, say, I make the thread and intro my char, then you reply and intro your char and after your intro, in that same reply, you attack me--or vice versa.

TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK OF SUCH PROPOSALS, SIR.

Sounds good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, The Bone King said:

Sounds good.

Splendid!

I started making the thread last night and can post this weekend if you don’t beat me to it.

Just remember though that if I do end up posting then you’ll need to attack me in your first reply.

I’ll probably be using a longsword/bastard sword and a shield as primary arms, if that helps you determine your own equipment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Hani are you feeling dandy spandy enough to get a post out this weekend, whaddya think?

I'm a fan of using weekends to do all sorts of things so no worries if you can't.

I reckon come Monday though we should establish a posting order and turn limit, probably Die Shize - Zack - Hani with three days to post till skippage?
This is only to keep the thread going!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I didn't see an OOC thread for your thread @Die Shize, so I figured I'd post here rather than in the AMA. 

Thusfar, I think your guys thread looks great and I have no complaints or concerns. Well, except there aren't really a lot of dense woodlands like Clive supposedly went through, but I'll just assume that was before he arrived in Norkotia anyway. 

So, I'm thinking the town ya'll are in is probably in the rural areas outside of Norkotia City itself, and that's pretty wide-open there. I currently have a few towns spelled-out off-site, though not all of them are named. So if you're within about a 10 to 15-mile radius of Norkotia City, there's towns ranging from as few as 450 people, to as many as 4,400. I only have one named right now, which is Bradonsville (pop: 650), whose only notable established feature is that a now fugitive citizen burned down a whorehouse and killed everyone inside.

If you go beyond that range, the towns are even sparser and mostly smaller. The most notable one currently established is Kohle City (pop: 800), which is built near a massive strip mine that extracts coal and metal ores for use by the industrial sectors in the metropolitan area. That city is a more recent addition to the Norkotian Union and a lot of locals may still talk about the bandit raid that killed their former mayor and sheriff, which also likely has them nervous and suspicious of foreigners, particularly non-humans and "magicers" (magic-users).

Otherwise, this can be an entirely new town. If you want a suggestion so you don't have to make it up yourself, it would be Blutfield, and located relatively close to the site of the Red Flood War as you mentioned you were playing off of. You could even have an old stone memorial in the center of town for flavor if you like. 

But that's just a suggestion, you guys are free to do as you wish, just avoid making the town larger than a few thousand people at the most!

Edited by Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tyler said:

So, I didn't see an OOC thread for your thread @Die Shize, so I figured I'd post here rather than in the AMA. 

Thusfar, I think your guys thread looks great and I have no complaints or concerns. Well, except there aren't really a lot of dense woodlands like Clive supposedly went through, but I'll just assume that was before he arrived in Norkotia anyway. 

So, I'm thinking the town ya'll are in is probably in the rural areas outside of Norkotia City itself, and that's pretty wide-open there. I currently have a few towns spelled-out off-site, though not all of them are named. So if you're within about a 10 to 15-mile radius of Norkotia City, there's towns ranging from as few as 450 people, to as many as 4,400. I only have one named right now, which is Bradonsville (pop: 650), whose only notable established feature is that a now fugitive citizen burned down a whorehouse and killed everyone inside.

If you go beyond that range, the towns are even sparser and mostly smaller. The most notable one currently established is Kohle City (pop: 800), which is built near a massive strip mine that extracts coal and metal ores for use by the industrial sectors in the metropolitan area. That city is a more recent addition to the Norkotian Union and a lot of locals may still talk about the bandit raid that killed their former mayor and sheriff, which also likely has them nervous and suspicious of foreigners, particularly non-humans and "magicers" (magic-users).

Otherwise, this can be an entirely new town. If you want a suggestion so you don't have to make it up yourself, it would be Blutfield, and located relatively close to the site of the Red Flood War as you mentioned you were playing off of. You could even have an old stone memorial in the center of town for flavor if you like. 

But that's just a suggestion, you guys are free to do as you wish, just avoid making the town larger than a few thousand people at the most!

Yeah no OOC thread, usually don’t make ‘em unless really needed

Man I love having options so thank you for that! Blutfield sounds ideal. I mean, all these places would work rather well, but I’ll settle for the mentioned. I like that monument pitch. Can I do some mild expansion from there as it comes up, for the sake of flavor? Not sure if you have any more info on Blutfield.

But yeah that’s one good thing about my PC: memory loss, no idea where she is, so we can shape things OOC as we go. Blutfield it is!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

Can I do some mild expansion from there as it comes up, for the sake of flavor? Not sure if you have any more info on Blutfield.

The only other info I'll add, since you're going to go with it, is the population will be 2,300 and it will be pretty much directly west of Norkotia City, at the edge of the 10-15 miles I mentioned. It can be large enough to have a rail station and a highway connecting it to the metro. Other than that, feel free to expand. I'll keep an eye out in case something deviates from the lore, but I'm sure you guys will be fine.

Edited by Tyler

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tyler said:

The only other info I'll add, since you're going to go with it, is the population will be 2,300 and it will be pretty much directly west of Norkotia City, at the edge of the 10-15 miles I mentioned. It can be large enough to have a rail station and a highway connecting it to the metro. Other than that, feel free to expand. I'll keep an eye out in case something deviates from the lore, but I'm sure you guys will be fine.

The system works!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×