Veloci-Rapture

Spring Writing Contest Theme - Poll!

Spring Writing Contest Theme - Poll!  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which theme would you most like to write about for our upcoming Spring Writing Contest?

• Rebirth/Renewal/Circle of Life
    • Redemption
    • Nature survival
    • April Fool's/Humor

I bet you thought I'd forgotten all about this! Well, I haven't. I've taken the suggestions from the previous thread and boiled them down to a few general themes, and now I'm coming to Valucre to see which one they'd most like to write about for our spring contest!

I recognize that these options are not necessarily mutually exclusive; humor can be a part of all of them, for example. But I'm keeping it simple for now; I want to include the broadest spectrum of stories possible, and choosing "Humorous nature survival stories" goes from being thematic to being really restrictive. 

Let me know what you think!

As of right now, I plan to open this contest for entries on April 1st, with the deadline being May 1st.

Just trying to fully understand the themes, what's the difference between redemption and rebirth/renewal? Like what keeps redemption from being another /addition to that first item? I think it makes sense to have it broken out but want to make sure before casting my vote

Rebirth/Renewal doesn't necessarily have the moral component of redemption; it could be someone trying to cure a plague or going through a spiritual journey to become something else (but not necessarily going from bad to good, like going from novice to master, or unbeliever to believer, or laity to priesthood, or burger lover to hotdog aficionado). 

Further, redemption doesn't necessarily require a full-on change from one state to the next. It's generally "bad person to good person", but it can also be "bad person does a thing which makes them maybe not all the way bad or bad forever". It doesn't necessitate that the change be complete, or even permanent, just that it overwrites some previously existing component (and can be undertaken for a variety of reasons).

Rebirth/Renewal is big and not necessarily moral -- Redeption is moral, but not necessarily big.

Great turnout so far, gang! Love the participation! I'll let this run for another week or so; we've got plenty of time, but I also want to give everyone an opportunity to get started well in advance of the official opening. Sometimes it takes a bit for those creative juices to congeal into something awesome, like cheese! 

2 hours ago, Grubbistch said:

Come on comedy! I actually stand a chance of winning if it comes down to making someone laugh a little.

Come on REDEMPTION!!!

Spoiler

Though, Grubbistch, you can still put some comedy in your redemption. 🤩

On 1/10/2019 at 1:41 PM, Veloci-Rapture said:

Rebirth/Renewal doesn't necessarily have the moral component of redemption; it could be someone trying to cure a plague or going through a spiritual journey to become something else (but not necessarily going from bad to good, like going from novice to master, or unbeliever to believer, or laity to priesthood, or burger lover to hotdog aficionado). 

Further, redemption doesn't necessarily require a full-on change from one state to the next. It's generally "bad person to good person", but it can also be "bad person does a thing which makes them maybe not all the way bad or bad forever". It doesn't necessitate that the change be complete, or even permanent, just that it overwrites some previously existing component (and can be undertaken for a variety of reasons).

Rebirth/Renewal is big and not necessarily moral -- Redeption is moral, but not necessarily big.

What you explained is literally what I'm going for with Marigold' arc

'Bad to bad light'