notmuch_23

The things we do for a pop... (Port Sun)

For the first time... ever... Thurgood and Aveline Singlance took a rigid-airframe lighter-than-air craft to the very well illuminated commercial city. It cost significantly more to do so, but Aveline brought her F-350 along with a thirty-foot gooseneck flatbed trailer that was enclosed until a hydra neck flattened it. The only reason it's servicable now is because of a lot of wood and bolts. The tires don't even have air: they're filled with dried grasses that more or less serve the same function. But Port Sun is a large city, and would be slow to travel on foot. Besides, how would they get the cargo back to Lunaris from Casper? Unfortunately, all the airships departing from anywhere on Ursa Madeum were completely crammed for months.

What brought them here though, is their rapidly dwindling supply of soda syrup Thurgood brought back on his last (most likely ever) trip to Gaia Prime. So they need to find a source on Valucre. In the process, they hope to perhaps make some business connections, so once their industrial projects in Ursa Madeum start producing, they may find buyers. First order of business though, is to convert their Terran precious metallic coin into Renovatian gemstone coin. So once again, the diesel engine growls as it powers the truck, trailer, and siblings through the underground tunnels into the city proper.

@Thotification @SteamWarden

Underground Tunnels. Port Sun.

"Goddammit Linda. When you said we'll walk to Port Sun, I did not expect us to walk the whole way. What is wrong with you?!"

Holly's outburst rang through the area as she and the Madame Linda Linda paused from their walk to catch their breaths. It was a long walk and two were clearly not built for such long-distance travel. There is only so much walking a dainty woman can handle. To be fair, Holly can still keep on going but the poor Madame's body was already out of order. Holly wouldn't be surprised if the Madame would suddenly pass out from exhaustion. The poor thing.

But Holly's will was as strong as she was stubborn. She would carry the Madame if needed but the sound of revving engines took her attention. That was when this idiot of a woman scooted near the car's path and disgustingly raised her skirt to reveal a rather lithe tranny thigh in attempt to call the driver's attention. Of course the blasted woman did not forget to display the customary hitchhiker's gesture.

Poor Holly could not help but sigh at the Madame's antics. What kind of person in his right mind would fall for such a trap-

"Oh dear," Holly whispered under her breath as she realized who the car's passengers were. "House Singlance."

In the warm "white" headlights where LEDs have long ago replaced the incandescent bulbs, both Aveline and Thurgood see a couple of women walking, and now trying to hitch a ride. Thurgood actually recognizes one of them, and reaches over to jerk the wheel towards her. Aveline stomps on the brake, causing all four wheels to briefly lock as the engine stalls and the back of the trailer kicks out to the left

"WHAT THE FUCK ARE YA DOIN'?!?" Aveline shouts.

"Trust me, run her ass over!" Thurgood replies.

"What, didjya piss her off or somethin?"

"Yeah, I did. Big whoop, wanna fight about it?"

"Actually, yes I do! What the fuck didjya do?"

"Just told her that I don't think with my dick."

"Wait... either you're lyin' or she's crazy, and either one is equally probable at this point."

@Thotification

"THURGOOD SINGLANCE! YOU COWARD!" The Madame Linda Linda roared as the vehicle screeched to a stop just a few inches before hitting her. Her face was filled with a splash of fury mixed with disgust. Even after she died, the Madame still held grudges and this is one grudge she won't let go so easily.

Hands on her hips, she stomped toward's Thurgood's side and began kicking the car. "YOU BASTARDS! YOU COULD HAVE KILLED ME! YOU-"

Before she could continue any further, Holly appeared from behind and delivered a resounding chop the Madame's nape. The Madame's body immediately lost balance, crumpling rather dangerously to the cold hard ground.

With an embarrassed look on her face, Holly addressed the duo, "Sorry bout that. My friend here have trouble controlling her temper."

Holly's mouth turned into a genuine grin. "I'm Holly Sheathe, by the way. Holly the farmer. Mind if we hitch a ride? As to my friend here, we can just throw her at the back of the truck, all gagged and tied-up."

@notmuch_23

"Ooookay, I'm not as pissed at'chya, but I still don't know if you're lyin," Aveline says when Linda Linda starts screaming. Then Holly takes her out with one hit.

"Tol'jya shoulda ran her ass over," Thurgood replies as he pops his seat belt, grabs some rope they brought for securing a load, and opens the right front door.

"Don't got a gag, but we've got plenty of rope," Thurgood tells Holly, "y'allready know my name, that's my sister Aveline, and I'm sure you've heard our last name surrounded by plenty of curse words and insults."

Thurgood puts his left boot on Lindas head and his right knee on her back as he hogties the crazy lady, ignoring anything she might say, before just tossing her into the bed, and securing the end to a tie point. Then he steps back to the rear right door and opens it for Holly. "I can move my seat up if ya need more room back here."

In the city of Port Sun 

Lithist sits on a box with his top hat beside him. "So what are we doing today? I got this little metal man." The hat wiggles around on its own and the gears inside it turn. Lithist then nods and picks up Capri, putting it on his head. "Lets make some money." He then walks to the middle of the street.

Lithist sets the metal man on the ground and puts Capri on it. The hats gears start shifting loudly inside it to draw attention to people. He raises Capri and the metal now stands at three feet tail instead of a few inches. Lithist snaps his fingers and some of his magic goes into the metal man and it starts dancing, clapping its hands, and even prancing towards people watching it. The impressive part of all this is a 375 pound muscled man just made a wired metal man dance through magic.

(OOC: Giving you a taste of what you'd see from Lithist.)

Holly shrugged as she accepted Thurgood's offer. She was just grateful that she'll be having comfortable ride to Port Sun without being gagged or tied. The Madame Linda Linda sure has a lot temper problems.

Finally situated in her seat, Holly assessed her benefactors. These are the famed people of SInglance, although she had no idea why people hated them. For one thing, Holly was more inclined to deal with them than the posh ninnies of the nobility. Or perhaps they share some kind of aversion to the general nobility and their pampered asses. Still it wouldn't do well for a vassal like Holly to be slandering her liege and her liege's circle of friends so she should just keep quiet about it.

"Well, I don't know about any curse words or insult with surrounding your family name. Nor am I actually familiar with it. All I know is that the woman at the back kept grumbling about THurgood this and Thurgood that."

She paused then to produce a flask of alcohol from her coat pocket. "So, what brings you two here to Port Sun? Oh and I'd love to hear more about the insults and curses  thingy."

➡️ Port sun, underground tunnels

If Holly didn't close the door, Thurgood would before he climbs into the front right seat.

"Well, before we do," Aveline says, "take that strap from right behind your right shoulder, pull it out, and find the metal tab on it."

"It looks like this," Thurgood says as he pulls his seat belt out enough to show Holly the tab on his, "then just stick it into the slot on that metal box on your left there, like this." Thurgood then slides the tab into the receiver until it clicks. "We just want'chya to stay safe if some fuckin' moron nails this truck."

It's easy to take things like seat belts and light switches for granted if you've been using them your whole life. This is likely the first time Holly Sheathe has even seen a motor vehicle. Of course, if this is not the case, neither Thurgood nor Aveline know that.

Aveline presses the clutch and brake pedals, shifts the transmission into neutral, and turns the ignition key again. It only takes the solenoid switch four hits to restart the diesel engine. If Holly has trouble fastening her seat belt, Thurgood and/or Aveline will help her do so before they get rolling.

1 hour ago, Thotification said:

"So, what brings you two here to Port Sun? Oh and I'd love to hear more about the insults and curses  thingy."

"We've got a pop fountain at our store in Lunaris," Aveline says, "and we had a pretty large supply of syrup; emphasis on had, so we planned this trip first to get more."

"But as long as we're here, we might as well see what else we can get," Thurgood adds, "and perhaps make some business connections."

Holly is a strong independent woman who need no man she closed the door by herself. No need to trouble Thurood with something so simple.

There is also no need for them to teach her how seatbelts work. That much she can understand. "Thank you for telling but this wasn't the first time I've seen a car, nor ride in one."

Once she's done buckling herself up, Holly would reply. "No need for worry for my safety. Or my friend Linda Linda's safety. Even if some moron nails this truck, I assure you Linda and I would walk out uninjured."

As the car starts moving, Holly would check on the struggling Linda with a smug looke on her face. Oh she's enjoying this right.

"Business connections? Are you starting something cool in Port Sun?"

Huh, so Holly's ridden in a motor vehicle before...

"Not in Port Sun," Aveline replies, "but in Ursa Madeum. We wanna mine bauxite, extract petroleum, and refine them down to aluminum metal and fine fractions, and maybe make things with them."

"We also need equipment we really can't find in Terrenus since the 'civil' war started," Thurgood says, "like giant three-phase synchrinous alternators and distribution transformers. We mighta been able to get them from Tia if its industry was producing."

Some of the things they eant to make with aluminum are modern naval watercraft, polymers, and motor vehicles. Unfortunately, making a product is pointless without buyers, and one of the markets they want to sell their aluminum and polymer fabrics to is the airship builders: both materials will make them much lighter with larger envelopes and larger, more reliable gasbags that will allow the airships to increase their payloads dramatically, since lighter-than-air craft tend to benifit from the square-cube law.

Edited by notmuch_23

Holly shrugged. Right now she had no idea what these two are talking about. Somehow her train of thought got lost with all that technobabble. 

Their mention of Ursa Madeum reminded her of her farm back there. It was a average farm that grew average crops with average produce. She had preferred the simplicity there. All that is now gone, however, as the bitch Linda Linda dragged Holly away from her rural retirement home and back into the streets.

Tia on the other hand was a more recent expwrience for Holly. She had heard stories there but most of which are highly questionable. Especially the one where the Mistress survived a peacekeeper. Now that's just fake news from Holly's point of view.

Still, Holly gotta hand it to others and-

"THURGOOD! I SEEE YOU!"

-and there she was the Madame Linda Linda already awake and untied, clinging to the side of the running truck. How she managed to escape was beyond anyone's comprehension. 

"Thurgood!" Holly cried, "She's awake."

"Hold on," Aveline says. Thanks to chemical energy, she knows that Newtonian physics are on her side, and how to use them. So with a shove of the clutch, she shifts down a gear, then gooses the throttle, aggressively shifting up to fifth, leaving the tunnels for the surface streets in the process.

When Aveline hits sixty and a relatively empty stretch of road, she gives her warning.

"Brace," she says before simultaneously stomping on both the clutch and brake pedal, locking the wheels, causing her, Thurgood's, and Holly's bodies to press hard against the seat belt webbing. It doesn't matter how strong Linda's grip is on the side of the bed, her relatively small body is smashing into the back of the cab: the forces involved are too great for that relatively scant amount of friction to hold back. Even if it was, it would fuck up her arms in the process. The trailer comes inches from completely jacknifing in the process.

That's why you should wear your seat belt. Linda will likely be alive, but seriously injured.

Lithist was walking down a road with a bag of currency until he sees a car and its trailer racing past him. The winds caught his trench coat and hat both flying in the wind although his hat flew way off in the distance towards the vehicle. The second he sees his hat fly he cries out and throws his bag of money in a random direction and bolts towards the hat. 'WHY DID I PUT MY LIFE IN A HAT! WHY NOT A BLOODY GLOVE OR A MASK!' Capri lands somewhere on the road so far past the car that if it were to stop it wouldn't run it over. 

Lithist uses his extreme speed and eventually passes the car as it regains a more normal speed and stands in front of his hat. He looked at the car and then the hat which in turn lead to him picking the hat up and running off the road. "I can't die because some bloke would run over my hat." He lays on the side of the road as his adrenaline wears off and holds his hat up in the air. "Five thousand years nearly down the drain by a gust of wind."

Holly grimaced as she heard a rather loud thud from the back followed by a scream. That should put a lid on Linda's boiling fury and her legs as well. God know what Holly would witness once she checks on that mad woman. 

"I think she's calmed down now," Holly whispered to both Aveline and Thurgood. "Although I highly doubt that would slow the Madame down."

She was sure of it. The Madame would be alive and kicking once they reached their destination. Holly had seen that woman survive stuff she thought was impossible. But that was in the past and this woman was no longer the monster she had been. Holly could only hope that the Madame did break a leg. Or two.

"At least that ought to slow her down a bit." Holly chuckled as she produced a cigarrette from her coat pocket. "Mind if I smoke?"

"Um, actually I do," Aveline says as she shifts back into first, taking off amidst a few honks from impatient drivers, "always hated that fuckin stench. Where were ya want'n to go anyways?"

"Well, I'm hopin' someplace ta eat," Thurgood replies, hungry from their airship ride. No food service on a slow cargo lifer aerostat has left them both really hungry.

"Whelp, depends on where our decent passenger wants to go," Aveline replies.