A long, long time ago, on a website far, far away...there was this event called "Survivor".

Basically, it involved dropping PCs on an island with only a few basic items, like a knife, spear, canteen etc.

Each player started out on different parts of the island, and they started out alone.

The goal was, like the title, to survive, and ultimately to be the final survivor.

This was indeed a long time ago, like fifteen years, so I don't remember much except that it was quite popular and people looked forward to this event each time that it would come around.

You can imagine some PVP was involved. This was a site where PVP was basically a constant in any thread in the sense that a person didn't need permission to engage in it. I only say that because, despite this prevalence, Survivor conversely wasn't so much about killing off rival players as it was fending off NPC creatures and the elements. In fact, players would even partner up or group up to beat the odds. Though survival was paramount, players and GMs discovered how fun it was to just survive against nature and the island's creepy-crawlies, despite the fact that the PCs were ultimately pitted against each other.

The event masters would even step in to GM monstrous bosses that the contestants had to overcome. That was probably where most of the 'PVP' took place, with some collaborative touches from the GM.

Well, I could probably rant on, but false memories would probably overtake what few real ones remain.

First question I ask is has Valucre ever done anything like this?

Regardless of that answer, would anyone be interested in doing something like this?

This is by all means only an Interest Check right now. I want to get thoughts and feedback. If enough interest is given, then maybe details could be fleshed out and we could host our very own Survivor!

I think there have been variations of battle royals/ hunger games/ dungeon crawls with NPC monsters but I can't recall a situation where they've been combined with a good PvP system if ever at all. 

I, for one, would most definitely be interested in something like this! I love large projects 😄

I even created a combat system that applies to battle royals (which you'll actually be using in defense of Tazarek), though it hasn't been applied to NPC creatures or whatnot so i dunno how useful it would prove for this. What kind of PvP do u remember them using? Strictly RNG?

1 hour ago, Ataraxy said:

I think there have been variations of battle royals/ hunger games/ dungeon crawls with NPC monsters but I can't recall a situation where they've been combined with a good PvP system if ever at all. 

I, for one, would most definitely be interested in something like this! I love large projects 😄

I even created a combat system that applies to battle royals (which you'll actually be using in defense of Tazarek), though it hasn't been applied to NPC creatures or whatnot so i dunno how useful it would prove for this. What kind of PvP do u remember them using? Strictly RNG?

Yeah, this would be like a combination of battle royal, 'hunger games' and dungeon crawl all in one setting and in one sitting. Survival at its...survivalist?

How dandy of you to forward your interest! I'm far less experienced with combat systems than I've observed of you, but I've observed that you'd be quite the helpful mister, er...mister. And that's a boot besides our past roleplaying adventures!

For Survivor, whether I remember accurately or just limit to 'what ours could be', I'm thinking of three types of combat systems. And I'm just spitballing here.

• T1 PVP for those who want it. This would provide a more direct path to victory or defeat: one player wins or loses, though perhaps there's room to 'escape' the fight at a single dice roll or something. The good thing about this combat is that, considering only one PC can ultimately win Survivor, then you're eliminating the competition when you beat someone in a T1 fight. The goal is to kill them, in this case. Unless you want to smirk and just incapacitate them because smirk.
    • Not everyone likes PVP or is good at it, and I don't want to leave those misters and madams out of the game, so I reckon this kind of combat would indeed be optional
  • RNG would be the non-T1 PVP alternative to the above. I've never really dabbled with RNG because I'm not a fan of chance being the ultimate decider of whether I win or lose a fight (because, let's face it, I'm not my PC but I am the one controlling my PC). The outcome would also be non-lethal for the combatants, though it could result in minor to major damage, from a broken toe to a foot that just fell off.
  • A combination of competitive and collaborative combat (and alliteration!) for when a GM steps in for a boss fight or a lesser creature fight. Their opponent, or opponents, who are the PC players still have to fight like they mean it, strategy and tactics and all that, but the GM can provide some collaborative clues for player victory. In other words, I guess, the GM isn't just going to roll over and die, but they're going to provide a fighting chance as well. This would therefore cater to those players who aren't as PVP savvy, particularly because they could band together to overcome.

25 minutes ago, Die Shize said:

Yeah, this would be like a combination of battle royal, 'hunger games' and dungeon crawl all in one setting and in one sitting. Survival at its...survivalist?

How dandy of you to forward your interest! I'm far less experienced with combat systems than I've observed of you, but I've observed that you'd be quite the helpful mister, er...mister. And that's a boot besides our past roleplaying adventures!

For Survivor, whether I remember accurately or just limit to 'what ours could be', I'm thinking of three types of combat systems. And I'm just spitballing here.

• T1 PVP for those who want it. This would provide a more direct path to victory or defeat: one player wins or loses, though perhaps there's room to 'escape' the fight at a single dice roll or something. The good thing about this combat is that, considering only one PC can ultimately win Survivor, then you're eliminating the competition when you beat someone in a T1 fight. The goal is to kill them, in this case. Unless you want to smirk and just incapacitate them because smirk.
    • Not everyone likes PVP or is good at it, and I don't want to leave those misters and madams out of the game, so I reckon this kind of combat would indeed be optional
  • RNG would be the non-T1 PVP alternative to the above. I've never really dabbled with RNG because I'm not a fan of chance being the ultimate decider of whether I win or lose a fight (because, let's face it, I'm not my PC but I am the one controlling my PC). The outcome would also be non-lethal for the combatants, though it could result in minor to major damage, from a broken toe to a foot that just fell off.
  • A combination of competitive and collaborative combat (and alliteration!) for when a GM steps in for a boss fight or a lesser creature fight. Their opponent, or opponents, who are the PC players still have to fight like they mean it, strategy and tactics and all that, but the GM can provide some collaborative clues for player victory. In other words, I guess, the GM isn't just going to roll over and die, but they're going to provide a fighting chance as well. This would therefore cater to those players who aren't as PVP savvy, particularly because they could band together to overcome.

Third option definitely seems more attractive, though a bit unrefined (obviously since u just came up with it lol). Seems slightly subjective but I'm sure a few guidelines could be put into place.

Normally I'm all for T1 but doing so means you'd have to create your own ruleset as Val no longer supports any T1 ruleset. 

I definitely agree with you on the RNG portion. However, it might be possible for us to combine RNG for mobs with LBS (my system which I'd link but using phone) for PvP. Definitely an interesting project. It'll require a lot of planning and stuff though haha how many GMs you think would be needed/ players allowed to participate?

Oh man, these kinds of concepts are amazing! ❤️ I'd love to join in, should there be such a thing in the future 😄

I myself am not very PVP-savvy, so if I may, the third option presented above would be most viable for players like me 👀 Anyway, here is my show of hands for my interest! 👐

21 minutes ago, Ataraxy said:

Third option definitely seems more attractive, though a bit unrefined (obviously since u just came up with it lol). Seems slightly subjective but I'm sure a few guidelines could be put into place.

Normally I'm all for T1 but doing so means you'd have to create your own ruleset as Val no longer supports any T1 ruleset. 

I definitely agree with you on the RNG portion. However, it might be possible for us to combine RNG for mobs with LBS (my system which I'd link but using phone) for PvP. Definitely an interesting project. It'll require a lot of planning and stuff though haha how many GMs you think would be needed/ players allowed to participate?

Yeah, that’s the thing with Survivor: it’s an odd sense of ‘collaborative competition’ and, honestly, I think that’s why it worked—in the past.

PVP (T1) was just a part of it, and I don’t think it was exercised as much as just surviving the island itself and battling the GMs’ creatures. Much less battle royal or 1x1 duels; much more progress-via-storytelling.

Though, while I’m a fan of simplicity, the idea does cater to full on PVP when and where warranted. If it’s doable without too much behindthescenes structuring and management.

But, yeah, that would be deeper planning, going beyond the core basics that I’m currently getting at right now. Of which, there would have to be a player cap, but ten players and three GMs could cut it. They’d act as judges too. Understanding that people start out a ways apart, so no outright posting order, and players would eventually be eliminated in various ways. PVP is one thing, also GM’d hostiles; the island itself is an enemy.

I remember there being traps on the island that a PC could set off and lose the whole game. They’d even make traps for rival PCs.

Ooooh... I think any character I would come up with would be the first voted off the island.

That being said - I wanna try!

I think it would help me as a writer being that I have little experience in writing combat, and it's been a hot minute since I've written anything action intense. 

Plus this just sound super fun!

I’m liking the feedback so far, lads and lades. The wheels are turning...even if the train isn’t moving yet. Gonna be a long haul!

*continues stirring the pot and adding this and that to see what tastes good and what tastes like leathery burnt bacon*

Edited by Die Shize