Dolor Aeternum

For Your Own Good

“So what do you plan on doing with her?”

A brow rose at the question that one of her subordinates allowed his curiosity to form. Luz was tired of attempting diplomacy, of caring for anyone outside of Illyrian interests. As she walked beside the hovering mechanism that now encased what she considered her burden, eyes bore hard into the form of the draconic girl that had allowed herself to lose control and nearly killed that other gangly man. She would never understand how whatever deities or forces out there thought to create such volatile power and allow someone as hotheaded and immature to wield it. Tapping the top of the metallic, portable containment unit that housed Arashi she sighed audibly.

“She must be contained for our safety as much as her own though I could care less about the latter.”

It would have been at least an hour since she had left her Light to endure this task and she already felt herself feel a longing to return to his side. The thought alone brought the slightest tinge of red onto her cheeks before she drowned it all with a sense of duty and irritation that she could not have the luxuries she desired. Having descended down a circular platform that hummed slightly and glowed just as brightly as the spire above them, they descended for quite a while into a subterranean facility that the Scientific Division reserved for experimentation that was far too dangerous to be seen. Magical wards coated this area with their protective magic meant more to contain than to protect from outside influence. If Arashi still held enough energy to keep herself alert and awake she would feel an overbearing sense of pressure that would make her feel sluggish and disrupt the balance of energy around her. This sensation was not reserved only for her, however, as it was clear that Luz and everyone else initiated every step and every action in reserved fashion so as not to expend too much energy.

That feeling would soon subside once they entered a large chamber at the end of an long hallway. Large transparent doors infused with energy slid open to allow them all entry. In the center of the circular room was a device that seemed tethered by tubing and fixed into the floor beneath them. A planar surface marked the top of the device made of a material that seemed to move fluidly as if it could be manipulated.

“Place her there and make sure she is well contained.”

One of her subordinates gladly obliged, the young girl activating the opening mechanism for the metallic containment unit to attempt to manipulate Arashi to stand and lead her toward the device that now began to tilt into a vertical position in preparation. The sound of whirring and a distinct hum of energy could be heard all around them now. Luz motioned for a few other men to help the young girl, fully expecting Arashi to be resistant as was clear by her next words.

“Comply dragon girl or I will be forced to make you more malleable to make sure you don’t attempt to kill anyone else.”

Moving some stray silver hair from her face she crossed her arms and seemed ready to react forcefully should her subordinates be unable to lead her newest burden to her rightful place.

@Flame Hero: Endeavor

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi felt weird and slightly tired as she woke up. It felt weird for her considering the last thing she she was doing was defying orders after all. She remembered how she saved that kid from the monster only to go after her father and the rest was just blank after that. She wasn't sure if it was the voices in her head that caused this or if it was a different related matter but nonetheless, this was a very difficult situation she had got herself into. She stood up with the little energy she had left after all, looking fairly dazed and half asleep by the looks of the things. 

Then it hits her. She's in a strange place and she was suddenly grabbed by other people. "Hey, hold on a sec! What's this about me killing people? You high or somethin'?" The Draconian did look slightly injured by her part transformation she had, half of her clothes ripped and some deep wounds from where the scales came in at. She had noticed her right arm was painful to move as well as she couldn't open her right eye. "Wait a second, who the heck are you? Hey! That hurts! Watch it!" 

The young girl and the two other men that were now helping her try to restrain Arashi were having difficulty doing so, not fully equipped to handle the latent strength of the girl but barely managing to do so thanks to the wounds that she suffered from. Even so, all they could muster was vying to keep the girl in place, fully assaulted by the volume of Arashi’s words given their proximity to her. All three of the subordinates looked desperately at Luz, pleading silently with their wide eyes given that they believed the girl they were holding was a potent threat with the way their superior had spoken about her. Their very lives were at stake here and if they could not manage to hold the girl and place her in the device nearby then they could very well suffer for it.

Luz furrowed her brows and then stroked her temple as she watched one of the many scenarios she had planned in her head play out so unceremoniously. She was visibly annoyed until Arashi’s words caused her to arch a brow and lips to part in mild surprise. Starting to step forward rather menacingly, she quickly responded to the girl, clearly believing this all to be rather incredulous.

“So it was worse than I imagined. You have no control and your memory is affected as well. Do not forget that detail everyone.”

Luz stopped just a few feet in front of Arashi before she continued, sighing once again audibly as she found it bothersome to have to provide a recollection of the events.

“You nearly killed that scrawny man you seemed to call ‘dad’. His name was Marigold or something of the sort. That power you have been gifted with must have usurped all of your faculties and turned you into some mindless monster. Mindless monsters have no place in any world.”

She motioned with her left hand toward the device behind her and eyed Arashi rather coldly.

“My Light made an agreement with your gangly father to make you my burden in light of your recent attempt on his life. I am now obligated to ensure the safety of my people and those foreigners from whatever it is you are plagued with. Now step toward that device there. We should be able to mend your wounds and keep you contained there while I figure out what to do with you. Oh and my name is Luz Yllende. I now control whatever happens to you…at least for now.”

A hand was waved dismissively toward the device in an attempt to shoo Arashi on to it while the trio that restrained Arashi began to pull her toward the device, their combined strength hopefully enough to drag the resistant girl to where she needed to be.

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi grew fairly annoyed at what was said. Her attacking her own dad? That's not true. It can't be. He's been nothing but nice to her. What kind of lies is this woman trying to tell her? Why would she try and turn her against her adoptive father of all people? Arashi didn't believe this...this was all just made up lies to manipulate her. 

"You expect me to believe some bullshit that you just made up on the spot? I'm too close to my dad to do that to him. Don't give me that shit. Nothing you will say will change that. Even if I did remember, I still wouldn't believe it." Arashi gritted her teeth and sparks starting to come off her left arm slightly. "You don't scare me. I don't care what control you have over me. You can't deal with me, admit it. I'm stronger than you and your scared of me." She attempted to stand her ground at that point with little strength she had left but felt like her strength was fading away as she tried. 

"Shiiit."

She couldn’t say that she didn’t expect the incredulous look on Arashi’s face nor the way she attempted to debunk what was being said. If the girl didn’t remember what had truly happened then why would she bother believing any account from someone she didn’t trust? Some may have found humor with how Arashi struggled to break herself free or with the way her subordinates struggled to restrain their charge but Luz’s face remained cold and stern, regarding Arashi with scrutiny that was devoid of empathy right now.

“I am not here to convince you of what you did nor am I here to coddle you or your notions of superiority. The facts are all that ever matter. It is clear you do not remember much of the last few hours. It is clear you were involved in a physical battle that left you wounded and ruined the armor that is now our property. It is also clear that in your current state you are weak enough to control. I intend to keep you that way.”

The sparks that had come off of Arashi’s left arm caused the trio trying to restrain her to widen their eyes in trepidation but the female of the bunch only tugged Arashi that much harder toward the device as adrenaline caused by that fear sunk in. Arashi would find herself sliding toward the contraption a  bit faster now.

“This strength you are so arrogantly spouting off about is a liability that needs to be placed under control. You obviously do not have the means to do so on your own nor the resilience necessary to limit yourself so I will be forced to figure out how to either neutralize it or extract it. We cannot have you running loose and having the outside world blame us for your actions when we had the chance to prevent them.”

Luz shifted toward the device and began calibrating it in preparation to receive Arashi’s form. Several sensors meant for diagnostics and tests jutted out from the bottom portion of the device. She then started to fiddle with a hefty looking cuff on her left arm that held a display that prepared to receive info.

“Confirm your full name now….”

She swore she heard it somewhere during that whole debacle hours earlier but she was far too distracted. It was clear Luz’s mind was stubbornly fixated on getting Arashi to the device and there wasn’t much that would prevent her from doing so now.

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi grew even more angry at that statement. Intend to keep her that way? What was this woman? Some sort of mad scientist like her apparent father Renji? She surely can't be serious after all, that'd be crazy. Does she know how strong dragons are? They are meant to be feared, not controlled by lowly level humans. Arashi knew deep down that she would never go toe to toe with a true dragon because of how seriously strong they are. Let alone how quite a bit of them view humans as inferior and not worth their time.

"All I am is...just property to you? By Gaia, you sound like my real dad. Well that's what he sounds like everyone else at least. I swear, this is the last time I get involved with scientists...let alone arrogant ones that think they can control one of the strongest species known to man. Pathetic really." Arashi growled as she shows her sharp teeth while talking. "I deeply hate people like you. All of you are the same, thinking you can control a being so powerful that you are incapable of controlling. This is how accidents happen. You can wear me down all you want. That won't stop me from putting an end things like this." 

Arashi struggled against being pushed but was unable too. She seemed to worn herself out and the electrical sparks were fading from her left arm. It was true she was in a weakened state. She didn't have her armour to fully control her powers either. Luz was right. Arashi didn't have much control over her powers which is why she wore that armour to help her control it and it helped somewhat. "I'd much rather you didn't get rid of the only thing keeping me alive and able to fight....after all I wouldn't be Arashi Sato without it. My name would have zero meaning." 

Wait a second, why am I suddenly listening to this woman? The heck is wrong with me?

The naivety that she sensed within Arashi, the mentions of her ‘real dad’, and the mention of not getting involved with scientists were seemingly ignored as she continued to calibrate the system and prepare. About a minute or more would pass before she decided to respond.

“I do not own things I cannot control. What you currently are is a burden. One that I fully intend to relieve myself from. The more cooperative you are, the faster we can part ways.”

Luz kept her back to Arashi now as she nearly completed the configuration she wanted, the device starting to hum loudly while the amorphous portion along the slabs began to glow violet. Fibrous tendrils slowly stretched outward and the metallic portion of the machine suddenly showcased the veiny pathways that allowed for energy to move through the entirety of the machine.

“Dragons, gods, vampires, ghouls…they are all manageable with the right amount of preparation and innovation. We have managed them before and doubt we cannot succeed with a fledgling such as yourself.”

She glared at the trio, annoyed that it was taking them so long to guide Arashi toward the device beside her now. The young men within the trio gulped and pushed even harder while the young girl seemed to look at Luz gratefully as she felt like she had been doing much of the work. It wouldn’t be long before Arashi would find herself against the vertically aligned machine. The cold surface would press into the girl’s back but it was the tendrils that would slowly begin snaking their way along arms, legs, and forehead. Before Arashi could fully feel restrained, however, Luz decided to speak as she suddenly recalled Arashi’s last words.

“What does your name mean to you then?”

Luz honestly doubted she could gather any truly important data from furthering this dialogue but she found herself unable to continue until this avenue was explored unless she wished to damage her own scientific process.

Guest TheMinecrafter

"Cooperative? Actually, on second thought no. Screw that. I have no intention of listening to you. You're treating me like I'm some sort of science project. Last I checked, I have human rights do I not?" She barked. She wasn't too pleased with the outcome of this all and there was no way she could end get out of this. She had no strength at the moment to try and fight her way out and that was her only option. If she could make this Luz woman lose her cool however and do something irrational then it might work but for now, she needed to try and figure out a way out of this. She was just too tired at the moment to bother. 

She was very wanting to reply to the next statement but couldn't bothered to. As she was directed to the machine and put inside of it, she felt the tendrils going going down her body. "The hell is this?!" She didn't have the strength to try and resist and she felt like she was going to fall asleep any minute now due to how exhausted she was. 

"My name means a lot to me. More than you will ever understand. It was the first thing I ever remember. Do you have a problem with that or somethin'..." Just like that, Arashi was starting to doze off into sleep.

What would her Light do here? Illyrians were not known to be fixed in their ideas, focused on bettering the lives of their home without any semblance of care for those outside of their bubble. She had known this, accepted this, and even fully committed to it for centuries without question and yet years of observing their savior have caused her to question herself in ways she never knew she could. The warmth and compassion she witnessed within their Light could not be ignored and she found she could not resist it no matter how much she tried. This is why Luz’s head suddenly snapped toward Arashi as she expressed how she felt she had been treated. Lips parted but before she began to speak she caught herself and stopped knowing fully well that dismissive words were not how ‘he’ would handle this.

The struggle that her desires produced was evident in the silence now and her subordinates just stared at her in bewilderment. As they placed Arashi into the device and confirmed that it could restrain Arashi properly, they stepped away and all spoke in unison. “Ma’am, what would you like us to do now?” Luz would have normally barked a response quickly but found herself mute right now as she lost herself in thought before her cheeks reddened and then she barked her next orders.

“Leave. Let Heron know that I will be personally addressing our newest addition and do not expect to need any help.”

The female of the trio piped up with worry.

“But, ma’am. She is dangerous. We should follow protocol and make sure we are properly staffed here.”

“Just leave…”

The glare in Luz’s eyes was enough intimidation for the trio to start their departure, leaving Luz alone with Arashi as the large doors behind them slid to a close and caused an immediate wave of energy to flow through the various channels throughout this room. With a deep breath serving as a prelude, Luz finally addressed Arashi’s last few comments, attempting her best impression of the calm manner of speech her Light so frequently used. She stood over Arashi with an aura of discomfort that could easily be felt or seen in the way she fidgeted with her robes. No one would truly know how hard this was.

“I know you may not believe me, but I would much rather let you go then be forced to do what I am about to do. You nearly killed my king and your adoptive father. You added to an already chaotic time for everyone there and could have likely damaged yourself and others even further. I will not pretend to know whatever struggles you have endured or whatever pain other scientists have caused you but if you simply let me figure out how to prevent what happened from ever happening again we can both part ways and you can return to whoever you want to.”

Luz attempted to look as calm and collected as possible before moving to collect a seat nearby and sit directly near Arashi. Before Arashi could truly respond, she continued.

“So I promise to be as transparent as possible with what I intend to do and ask that you cooperate with me so that I can help you control yourself. First let me heal your wounds. Is that alright Arashi Sato?”

Luz eyes darted toward Arashi’s as she waited for the girl’s response, moving through some of the screens along the display of her brace, her hands slowly starting to glow a bright green. Meanwhile the tendrils of the machine locked in to place on the machine but still gave Arashi enough room to move her arms, legs, and head slightly…at least for now.

Guest TheMinecrafter

Arashi sighed at the fact that she was called dangerous. She didn't believe any of this and this was getting worse and worse every second. When other scientists left however and she was left with Luz, she sighed. She knew this wasn't going to go well the way she had hoped. Breaking out of here is going to be harder than she originally thought. She listened to Luz as she spoke, almost if annoyed by her words. Arashi did not like listening to what others had to say after all. 

"Help me control myself? Well my armour was supposed to be helping...but something went wrong somewhere it seems. If what you say is true then I really don't have control over them. I never have had any control. From the moment I got them they've been extremely unstable. It's why I avoided combat training and learned how to use a bow to well learn how to fight somewhat. I never really took much interest in combat after that...and well. I set off adventuring and somehow activated my unstable powers. My adoptive dad made me armour to help me control my powers to some degree so I wouldn't fry everything I would touch or burn it. So yes, I have zero control and they seem to always work when I'm all...what do you call it...determined. I think that's the word. Which is why people tend to avoid me...I tend to be a piece of dynamite waiting to explode at any moment...or that's what I'm referred as."

Arashi just made another loud sigh as she continued. 

"No matter how hard I try...it never works. Something always ends up in the gutter for me." She paused for a moment. "...But yes, healing me would be nice, thank you." The Draconian was nothing more than a rebellious teenager would wanted to do something good in life and she ended up like this. "All I wanted to do is be like those heroes I keep hearing about. The ones that stop all the bad guys!"

The visible surprise was evident on Luz’s features at the realization that mimicking her Light’s way of approaching matters actually seemed to work. Arashi was a bit more compliant, a lot more forthcoming, and even seemed aware of her own shortcomings. Luz listened to the girl’s explanation of the armor and an explanation of her powers, the specific words chosen by the girl leading the Illyrian to surmise that these powers were ‘gifted’ rather than earned. The silver in Luz’s eyes dimmed as she shifted her gaze away from the girl, pretending to continue calibration on the device Arashi was now wrapped in but truly just finding herself affected by the girl’s words. Was this how her Light always felt around her or her fellow Illyrians? If it was, he was a far better man than she could have ever imagined.

Empathy began to settle in and Luz’s demeanor softened greatly, which Arashi could have noticed as a rarity had she known anything about this woman who now moved to heal her wounds. Arashi would feel the contrast of warmth from Luz’s healing magic with the cold surface she was now pressed against. The pervasive energy would begin reconstructing teared flesh and alleviating pain from the strain of Arashi’s blinding rage from before. Luz took this time to also analyze some minor details concerning Arashi’s physiology, noticing how it was not purely draconic. This lack of purity and the manner in which Arashi regarded her as a scientist allowed the Illyrian woman to come to a conclusion that only served to place this girl before her in a much more favorable light.

“Which is why people tend to avoid me…I tend to be a piece of dynamite waiting to exploted at any moment…or that’s what I’m referred as”

Luz felt she could relate to those specific words and the ones that followed though she had long since overcome the hardships she had to endure to earn the position she now held so close to her Light. The serious expression that covered Luz’s face quickly shifted into the smallest of smiles once Arashi explained her aspirations to become a hero but she quickly caught herself and then began to speak with innate authority.

“Well your adoptive father was likely far too rigid in his design of your armor hence why it lies in pieces now. A much more fluid design capable of adjusting to your obvious potential is needed but the complexity involved takes time to realize.”

Luz’s silver eyes shone bright as she cycled through possibilities and then stared directly into Arashi’s eyes. The woman stood mere inches away from Arashi now before she continued again.

“But you must first atone for what you have done. Your real father….was he the one that burdened you by experimenting on you? You clearly hold more than just the normal draconic signatures from what I can tell so far which partially explains your inability to control your own abilities.”

Luz moved back a few steps now that she felt she had healed Arashi enough for her to remain comfortable…well as comfortable as one could be given the restraints. Luz was no fool and some sob story, no matter how surprisingly endearing, would not make her break protocol here. The draconic girl would not leave this room until the problem her existence created for them all had been resolved.

Guest TheMinecrafter

"He gave me my armor as a birthday present...I didn't know any of that would happen. He seemed to know me fairly well after all and he seemed trustworthy. After all, my adoptive father is the first person I remember. I just thought things couldn't go worse cause my powers were stable when I was wearing my armor and I had no problems until I heard that weird voice in my head and then I woke up here..." She sighed. She had no memory of what had happened. Last she remembered she was being scolded by her father for not leaving when she was asked to. She waited till Luz finished what she was saying before she answered the next question.

"Ah, Renji? You mean my dad that basically abandoned me? I know he worked with my adoptive father and all...I think he did experiment on me but...I have no memories of that occuring. My adoptive father won't really tell me much about my actual father other than that he was possibly completely insane and was a complete workholic. I have heard some rumors that people go missing when he was around but I heard that when I was younger and nobody could pinpoint a place where he was seen last. Who knows if my dad is still alive."

Luz arched a brow at the mention of a weird voice, her mind cycling through situations she was aware of that would cause what she believed to have happened before Arashi had lost control. Few Illyrians were truly aware of the truth concerning their Light, but Arashi had been fortunate enough to have Luz beside her who fully understood the notion that another entity could be housed within what they considered a vessel and assume control. Though her Light held strength capable of handling such a thing on his own, there were many that required an aid that they could not produce on their own. Luz was willing to provide that for this brazen girl before her.

“So you likely have some sort of spirit fused or tethered to you? Interesting but not unheard of. You need something capable of suppressing that entity while also allowing you to learn how to control your own abilities.”

Luz seemed excited about the prospect of engineering something that might fit that description but she did not ignored the reality of consequence. With her head turned so she was no longer looking at Arashi, Luz continued to speak as she read the data that was appearing on a monitor nearby.

“If you agree to being constantly monitored by me and to the failsafe I am required to install ethically and politically then you may just be able to leave our shores to return to wherever you came from. Understand that the safety of my own home supercedes your own here.”

A flashing icon could be seen on the top right of the monitor that looked much like a diamond which caused Luz to shift her attentions between Arashi and the monitor several times before the whirring sound that had quieted down a bit earlier suddenly spiked in volume. The doors that marked the entrance to this room hummed loudly and changed in color as a potent glaze of magic coated them and then began to slide all around them.

“The device has determined you are dangerous enough to implement more advanced containment protocols. Without diminishing that threat, I will not be able to release you. So do you agree to my terms or not?”

Shades of the forceful Luz were present within those last words, the delivery of her words as cold as they had been when they had first initiated this conversation. Luz yearned for progress but would Arashi aim to stifle it or allow it?

Guest TheMinecrafter

"I have no choice in the matter. You're the one in control of me right now. Do as you fit. I can't stop you. You have me restrained, I can't exactly go against you." Arashi couldn't do anything against this. She was utterly hopeless with her powers and abilities against whatever it was she was restrained with. This scientist had her backed into a corner with no way out of the situation other than to follow. Like she could resist anyways, she had nor the strength to go against whatever power Luz had with her. 

Her armor was broken, she was weakened and now held restrained by this woman with no way out other than maybe brute force, that only worked when she was able to punch through things and was able to get people off of her. The last time she did that, she broke both of her arms and that was a highly painful experience for her to go through. She only ever heard that voice within her head a few times and even then.. it was always very negative and controlling. She didn't know what it even was, other than it hated humans deeply enough to try and control her actions. 

"I know for a fact that doesn't like people...mostly humans for whatever reason. It's only spoken to me very rarely...I did hear a legend about some guy that had like a dragon fused to him and he went insane cause of it. I passed that off as a fake story but...it sounds more and more probable. I've always felt like I wasn't always like this. This draconic part of me doesn't feel natural. The human part of me does. Maybe I was just a human at some point. I don't remember. All I remember is that I have a fear of needles and syringes...and I freak out when I see one. They scare me slot." Arashi kept talking and talking, just trying to explain everything.

"Now.. I'm getting way too tired to stay up...can you let me sleep or something?" The Draconian said, yawning loudly.

“I suppose so.”

The acknowledgment from Arashi of her powerlessness in this specific scenario comforted Luz who much preferred having full control over…well…everything. As Arashi explained the misanthropist views of whatever spirit was tied to her, Luz nearly chuckled as the pattern she has seen in most of these cases always seemed to involve an entity full of hatred for something. Most tethered themselves to someone would be a harbinger of whatever goal they possessed only to realize the true strength of the will their hosts possessed. She idly wondered if Arashi possessed that same strength. The one she always saw in her Light and admired him for.

“Cling to what is natural Arashi. Never kneel to whatever spirit seeks to control you.”

Luz’s words were oddly passionate as if those same words were ones she held true belief in. Those few seconds were short lived, however, as she quickly returned to the task at hand. Inputting a specific key sequence into the wrist mounted device she held on her left arm, the device began collecting some of the air around them while Luz’ veins turned a visible purple along her sunkissed flesh.

“I should have something workable for you by the time you wake up. This mist should induce deep sleep soon.”

A purple mist expelled itself from her device which she moved toward Arashi. Luz quickly grabbed a breathing mask that had been resting near the monitor to cover her own mouth. Once the draconic girl was confirmed sleeping, Luz truly focused on her work mapping the entirety of Arashi’s body and energy signatures in a non-invasive manner while drafting a prototype that aimed to improve on the model of the gangly Doctor Ravenspire.