Die Shize

How do you post?

Probably one of the most obvious if overlooked questions out there, but how do you post?

Not as in how do you click the post button, but how do you personally type up your roleplay posts? Whether an IC OP or a reply to a thread already in place?

Do you write everything out in the Valucre post box? Google doc? Microsoft Word? Notepad?

Do you listen to any kind of music as you write? Ambience? Silence?

Are you like me and have to edit about twenty times before and after you post?

I'll start us off.

My typical posting procedure is to type it all out in a Google doc or Word. Used to be Word, till Microsoft decided to charge what they charge, and I'm an absolute tabber so I found it easier to keep a Google doc right beside a Valucre tab.

Listening to music/ambience is typically a need for me as much as someone might not be able to concentrate unless there is total silence when they write.

If I'm responding to someone else's IC post, I copy-paste their whole post. Then I'll bold certain aspects, such as character actions from major to minor, so that I have at-a-glance references of what I can if not should respond to.

Similarly, I'll bold and highlight the other rolepayer's dialogue.

Only after I'm satisfied in the Google doc do I paste over everything into the Valucre box. And I'm never satisfied lol. I'm also one of those writers who often 'thinks' words instead of types them, so that a sentence might this ("might look like this"). And, as mentioned above, I'm always having to edit even after I scrutinize before hitting the post button. I usually read over my work well after it's been plugged into a thread, always afraid that I left out vital info or just one word was misspelled.

So, that's my MO. What's yours?

I use Libre office, because I don't mind it! And there are literally dozens of ways that I post. Sometimes I have to have music, and the music depends on what type of post I'm doing up. Once in awhile I need quiet. Pin drop shattering quiet. Other times, I can do up a post while having multiple conversations, usually about gaming or role play. Needless to say there is always something related going on.

I use Microsoft Word because I have it and it transfers well. I usually put on some music, a mix of some favorite songs, but the thing is, I often tune it out. I don't even hear the song that's playing when I write. I put on the theme song for Saw, start writing my character death, and the next thing I know Barbie Girl (I don't even know why I have this song) is playing and I'm done.

I'll look back and forth from the post to my Word document several times while I post, to make sure I respond to everything. To make things easier I just scale down both windows so they both fit on my widescreen monitor. Then I think for a moment how I want to start the post, usually without using the word "The", then I go to town. I don't stress too much about spelling and grammar, though I do tend go back and edit in lines and reword some things that could be better; I'm good at both, Word will catch any extreme mistakes, and it's not like my work's going to be scrutinized by a professor or anything anyway. As long as my post satisfies my writing partner, I'm good. >_> I don't think a lot of people read me anyway, so why worry. 

Very, very, VERY rarely I might make an outline for my post. This only happens when there's a whole lot happening, usually a detailed fight going on. I've only done this maybe three times though. I really prefer to free write my posts.

1 hour ago, The Hummingbird said:

I use Microsoft Word because I have it and it transfers well. I usually put on some music, a mix of some favorite songs, but the thing is, I often tune it out. I don't even hear the song that's playing when I write. I put on the theme song for Saw, start writing my character death, and the next thing I know Barbie Girl (I don't even know why I have this song) is playing and I'm done.

I'll look back and forth from the post to my Word document several times while I post, to make sure I respond to everything. To make things easier I just scale down both windows so they both fit on my widescreen monitor. Then I think for a moment how I want to start the post, usually without using the word "The", then I go to town. I don't stress too much about spelling and grammar, though I do tend go back and edit in lines and reword some things that could be better; I'm good at both, Word will catch any extreme mistakes, and it's not like my work's going to be scrutinized by a professor or anything anyway. As long as my post satisfies my writing partner, I'm good. >_> I don't think a lot of people read me anyway, so why worry. 

Very, very, VERY rarely I might make an outline for my post. This only happens when there's a whole lot happening, usually a detailed fight going on. I've only done this maybe three times though. I really prefer to free write my posts.

I've also written while listening to the Saw theme when the occasion called for it, but you made me lose my shenanigans at "Barbie Girl"

I would read you but as with most of us I only read those I'm in the same thread with, not least of all due to the agony of time, but the last time I tried to write with you I think you told me to go choke on a seagull or somethin somethin LOL not really but it's a good insult that I might use one day

Wait I do remember reading you in the All is Bright ball or whatever one in fifty balls that Pasion has thrown. I enjoyed the read.

Good question! ?

I also use good ol' Google Docs for safekeeping of everything I write, and it helps to keep them all in one place for future lore recall if needed. When I'm replying to anything, I usually keep the previous post in a separate tab and just switch back and forth to see how well it flows out. Dialogue from the previous post usually makes it onto my own post so it's smoother to read them out; hence, I just copy-paste the dialogue and pop it in the Docs, easy peasy ?

I usually write with silence to better hear myself mentally reading out my writing to see if it sounds right, but music features plenty too depending on what I'm writing; ambience or cinematic soundtracks usually make their way onto my writing playlist.

When it comes to writing/editing the post, I usually find myself writing bits and strings of separate actions which I then stitch together to make a solid post, if that makes any sense ? I don't post anything until I'm completely satisfied with the post, so if there are any edits to be made post-posting, heh, they're usually grammatical errors or something like that ?

I write out my drafts for posts on whatever paper I can find, whether it's my journal or a paper napkin or somewhere in the margins of a sketchbook. This is necessary because I fling words in an order that rarely makes logical sense, and typing requires some form of order. A Google Doc with "GAH NO take the thing and move it there goat noise" just doesn't flow as well as it does on paper. 

I keep my phone near by to use the previous posts as reference.

Long posts are then written and tinkered with in a Google Doc, short posts are written straight in Valucre's text box now that it saves my work so well.

I rarely listen to music while I write unless I need a specific mood. Songs with lyrics are typically too distracting, though I have been known to blast Wu-Tang Clan when writing. Other than that, I like everything from Armenian folk music, heavy witch house, Chopin, and the Witcher soundtrack. 

Also I burn incense and often fall asleep mid-post, only to wake up with a cat on my head and my computer somehow safely put to the side.

I primarily write on mobile - on buses and trains (one-hour commute each way to and from work, wheee). I use Microsoft OneNote to write my posts, while having the page of the posts open on my phone browser. I switch back and forth between the different apps to make sure I get everything.

In large threads, I will write in point form all the relevant parts that others have written, that I choose to respond to. Sometimes, I copy and paste entire sentences of dialogue from other characters and put them in italics to respond to them - it helps me to keep everything in one place while I write too, since screen estate is so limited on the phone. (I think I first saw Pasion Pasiva doing it this way and I thought it was a great idea.)

Sometimes I’ll write a few paragraphs and go back to edit them before writing the rest, other times I’ll finish the whole post and then edit, and rarely, I just post without editing lol. I don’t do any heavy editing, just rephrasing some stuff and correcting some grammar.

Sometimes I listen to music, but if I do it’s always without lyrics, and 70% of the time it’s horror atmospheres to set the mood for Yh’mi and the various dark villains I write. ? I find that mood harder to get into without music.

Edited by jaistlyn

It all just comes out in one sitting, usually — right in this little box!

No music.

No fancy dark background.

Just me and this site (unless I need invisible tables to make things fancy, then I go to OpenOffice to add some cool magic).

I have a general idea of where I want things to go / the things I want to accomplish by a certain point in a thread; however, I enjoy the sheer spontaneity that comes from letting everything out. I always want to try to "live" as the character in that specific moment, but most times I just fail horribly.

Usually, I go through once to proofread, but I usually miss a lot of things. Essentially, most posts are the first-draft — uncensored and unedited (like this one).

I guess that I should take more time when it comes to posting as some people say that I am a "writing maelstrom," but I can't help it.

If twenty-some paragraphs just explode onto the page thirty minutes after you respond, it is just by fate's design! I had nothing to do with it. I am possessed by this passion :3

Edited by Artificer

Short posts I will write in the Valucre text box. If I am only dropping two to three paragraphs, I expect to finish quickly enough to forgo worrying about site crashes.

Longer posts I do in MS Word mostly. On occasion, I have used Google Docs. 

I like to write with non-vocal music of varying kinds: epic, orchestral, ambiance, movie scores, etc. I find vocals can get distracting.

I can get away with turning in college papers in classes outside the English department with little to no editing and revision, so I don't dabble in it much. If the document is especially long or I find the post is of greater importance, I will do a pass or two through it for revisions/fixes. Otherwise, I just scan for typos. 

I sometimes draft snippets of dialogue or narrative response in a mobile note if something comes to mind quickly and then go over it to expand on it and make sure the pacing and timing make sense. The longer writing I do on Word, and email to myself for backup if I can't finish it in one sitting since I don't know which computer I may end up working on it in the future 

Although the site and internet in general has gotten pretty good about stable connections I grew up in a time when internet jitter was high so if I'm writing something longer than a sentence or two even in OOC (like this post) I'll write it in notepad or copy and paste before hitting submit

I used to listen to classical and then video game music, sometimes a crackling fire or a cat purring or white noise, but nowadays I don't and prefer to get to something at least kind of close to quiet