HollowCipher

A Heist in the Mountains

A wisp of air, Dan slipped into Ethan's room. He silently got behind him, and lowered himself to his ear. Dan's mouth materialized right beside it, and spoke one word.

"Ethan."

Ethan yelped and fell over in surprise. Dan materialized laughing his ass off at him. He absolutely loved it; scaring a son of Hades was like stealing from a son of Hermes: basically impossible. So when it happened, it was always glorious.

"Goddammit Dan-o!!"
"Oh don't be such a baby. Get yourself dressed, we got a job."
"A....job?"
Dan rolled his eyes. "Thieves' lingo. We have a potential heist or something similar. My little birds have told me that groups of people have been going to Alterion in droves."
"So? People can move."
"Yeah, I'm totally telling you this just from that. Some of them have been really tall and fat. And the witnesses have all reported trouble focusing on their eyes. You know what that means."
"Cyclopes. Damn."

"Exactly. Leo's already dressed and packed. I got us a flight booked, we're leaving in 10 minutes."

Dan left, and began to finish his own prep. Mainly this meant changing into his "work clothes".

Spoiler

Image result for persona 5 joker

After they had arrived, and Dan gleaned where the caravan of monsters and people were heading, the three of them: Dan Palmer, Ethan Nagamura, and Leo Vasquez were walking up the Kageroth Mountains. Well, two of them were walking. Dan was floating above the ground using his wind powers.

"Are we sure they're here?"
"Yes. We're almost there, Leo don't worry about it."

Dan looked to Ethan. "So, you ready Shadow Boy? These guys won't be drunk and stupid. Our first REAL heist together."

"Oh yeah. We need a cool name for ourselves. And Ethan REALLY needs a better name. He's totally copying you by calling himself Jester. And a new wardrobe. Those bells are the least stealthy thing like... ever. Any ideas?"

Ethan stopped walking for a second and pulled out a water bottle before drinking deeply. "Fine fine. What ideas do you have Dan-o?" He asked as he stuck out his tongue. "And Leo if you think my costume sucks why dont you help me whip something else up?" Ethan pulled out a cigarette and lit it lazily before taking a deep drag off it. "With my ability to appear and disappear through shadows maybe we go with something like 'The Wraith'?" He takes another long drag off the cigarette and blows smoke rings into the sky. 

"Hmmm... Ideas for a name..... Masked Phantoms?"

"Wait, Me? I ain't no Athena boy, I can't do any of that sewing mierda. If you want armor or weapons or gadgets or gaming systems or really really cool ways to operate stuff, I'm your boy. Well, no... I'm Dan's boy and Dan's boy only, but I can make stuff for ya. You just gotta bring me the stuff to do it with. Like the blacksmith in RPGs. Except I'm way hotter and cooler. And better. Maybe we should go shopping and get you a better outfit. From someone who can do looms and arts and crafts and stuff and-"

"Leo. Babe. Calm down. Stop talking for a sec and take a breath."

Leo obligingly stopped talking for a minute. Dan smiled. He loved Leo, including his little quirks. Like Never shutting up, constantly having to move something, needing to constantly be tinkering with something or planning to tinker with something.
Although his 'cool ways to operate stuff' usually meant starting out wanting to simplify things like turning lights on and off, but ending up making things WAY complicated. Like having to clap twice, spin in place once, and do the zombie dance from Thriller, all while singing the opening theme to God of War, just to turn the lights in the room on and off.

Dan looked down, wondering yet again why Leo refused to wear shoes. even when going into the mountains. He appreciated it, he preferred a barefoot Leo actually, but he didn't know WHY. He suspected that it was because he himself didn't wear them, but he wasn't sure.

"Hmmm.... Wraith. Joker, Pyro, and Wraith. If you're gonna be Wraith... maybe...."
Dan opened his hand and used conjuration magic to conjure an outfit in Ethan's size.

Spoiler

Image result for overwatch Reaper cosplay outfit

"Something like this?"

Ethan takes one last hit off his cigarette and then flicks it off the cliff. Leo was a trip. His brain always went a mile a minute. Ethan just chuckled silently and shook his head. After a moment Dan conjured up an outfit. Ethan looked it up and down before getting a devious grin on his face and exclaiming. "Its perfect Dan-o! I swear sometimes you know me better than myself." With that he started shedding his clothes right then and there. Once changed he put all of his old clothes in his bag and put the mask on the back of his head. "So where to now gents?"

Ethan stripping right in front of them was enough to turn both of the younger demigod boys on. Being a son of Hades, he was paler than both of them, but the point still stood.
Both of them shook the feeling from themselves; This was not the time to start making out because Ethan started getting them hot and bothered.

"Its in the mountains. I can feel something on the wind."

"Whoa, someone's gettin' all Lord of the Rings on us."

"Ha ha."

All joking aside, inside of 10 minutes, the smell of sweating cyclopes hit Dan like a truck. And it wouldnt be long before the others got it too.
Once they cleared the next ridge, they saw it. Monsters in droves; Lamias, Cyclopes, Manticores, Dracenae, Telkhines, they were EVERYWHERE. Swarming around what looked like a massive mining site into the mountains.
Dan also spotted hellhounds, but his powers of wind and air control kept their scents right where they were to avoid being spotted.

"Hey uhh, guys? I think we found it."

It only took Ethan about a minute before he almost gagged at the smell that came over the ridge. It smelled like a mix of spoiled cabbage, burning hair, and Leo's athlete foot. At Dan's comment he looks out at the sea of monsters in front of them and almost passed out. A little light headed he turns to the other two. 

"Uhhhhh. What the hell are we supposed to do here? There's at least 500 monsters here. This is suicide. I mean I know we've taken on Titans but seriously boys?"

He nervously pulled out his pack of cigarettes and shoves one into his mouth. With shaky hands it took him longer to light the cigarette than normal. Once lit he inhaled the entire thing in one breath. He dropped the butt at his feet and stamped it out. While exhaling he looked at Dan.

"Well Dan-o. You better have one hell of a plan!"

6 hours ago, Kayderyn said:

"Uhhhhh. What the hell are we supposed to do here? There's at least 500 monsters here. This is suicide. I mean I know we've taken on Titans but seriously boys?"

Dan smirked.
"My dear Wraith. Who said anything about fighting them? Pyro, the gear if you please."

Leo took off the backpack he was wearing, and unzipped a portion of it. Out of it he took: handcuffs, a ballgag, coils of silk rope-
"Ooooh wait, you meant the HEIST gear. Right, sorry."

Dan snickered. While it was funny, he knew better. Leo did that on purpose, 100%.  
He put the 'special' gear away, and unzipped a different part. Out of it, he took several small orbs.

"Best way to start a heist. Got this from a Batman movie. These little guys will emit sonar pulses at all times once activated. Range of about 30 feet. Perfect for mapping a place out. Like say, a mining operation. In addition, they're real sensitive to sound, so we have both visual and audio."

As usual, Leo was a genius. Scrawny, sure. But there was no one who could out invent him.
"Alright. Wraith, me n you are gonna go into the caves, and set these up. Put them in 30 foot intervals, or in places where a lot of these bitches seem to gather."
"Oh, and-"
Leo took out 3 small headsets, all looking like bluetooth headsets.
"Wear these. We'll be able to keep in constant contact with each other. I'll work on setting up a base while you guys do your field jobs. Sound good? Awesome."
"Hopefully this goes without saying, but try not to get spotted, Wraith."

Dan waved his hand over himself, and conjured his 'work clothes' (his thief outfit, mainly) onto himself.

Spoiler

Image result for persona 5 joker outfit

He took some of the orbs, and started walking toward the monsters like it was an everyday thing. Once he was positive that the coolness was achieved, Dan just... disappeared. In reality, he dissolved his body into the air. He continued, going right past the monsters, and going into the caves.

Ethan didn't know what Leo's intentions were pulling out so much BDSM gear, but whatever they were Ethan was into it. Not that he would ever tell the other two his thoughts about it.

Ethan grabbed a handful of the orbs and stuffed them into his pockets. "Alright that doesn't seem too bad. And don't worry I have a panic vial if I need it?" And with that he slipped the headset on and switched the mask to covering his face. He slipped into the shadows and slowly made his way towards the caves. As he approached the opening he started dropping one every 60 feet. Every now in then he would stay hidden in the shadows and reach out to Leo and Dan. "How are things looking gents? I'm about a third of the way out of sensors. I'm going to go deeper in to drop more where there may happen to be more important shit. I'll check back in shortly." With that he started navigating the caves further and further. Once he was about a mile in to the cave he started dropping more sensors every 60 feet again. As he got further in he started to see the walls were lined with uncut gemstones. He almost forgot what he was doing and started trying to pry them out of the cave walls almost getting him caught by a pair of cyclopes that were walking through. With that he dropped his last sensor and started traveling back out of the cave. 

Once out he found a nice quiet spot and reaches out to Leo. "Hey Pyro. You got a base camp set up yet? I'm done so how are things looking? What about you Joker?"

Dan slipped into the cave entirely unnoticed. Well, of course he did. Who would take notice of a breeze going into the cave? He slipped the orbs into inconspicuous locations, making sure to do so at the perfect distances.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Kayderyn said:

"How are things looking gents? I'm about a third of the way out of sensors. I'm going to go deeper in to drop more where there may happen to be more important shit. I'll check back in shortly."

"Things are uneventful and boring on my end."

"I tell you, I ssssmell demigodsssss."
"Nonsssssensssse."
"No. Ssssseriousssssly. There were three on the wind. Two of them are clossssse, in the cavessss, popping up randomly. The third completely vanissssshed jusssst now."
"Ridiculoussss. What demigod would be sssso ssssstupid to enter a cave sssssyssssstem crawling with legions of monsssssterssss?"

Dan waited for the dracenae to leave.
"Seems some of the monsters can smell us. Wraith, you shower recently?"

Dan knew full well that a demigod's scent to a monster was impossible to get rid of, no matter what you did. He just liked poking fun at Ethan.
Dan finished up, and just as he was about to report in, he heard Ethan again.

On 3/23/2019 at 6:36 PM, Kayderyn said:

"Hey Pyro. You got a base camp set up yet? I'm done so how are things looking? What about you Joker?"

"Yep. Set up and ready to go. Out of sight, scent blocking, the works. The guard and miner chatter's flooding in. Man, I didn't think they'd all be banging each other's moms. Really weird. The cave system's fascinating. LOTSA different tunnels. Nearly all of them still being made. Guess maybe they're looking for something? Who knows. Come on back.

"On my way. All orbs set and functioning.
"Hurry up, Joker. I'm gettin' lonely out here."

Ethan slipped into the shadows and traveled past all the monsters heading straight for the safe haven that was the scent blocked base camp. He stopped just outside the perimeter of the camp when he heard something strange. 

"The smell stops right here! I don't understand it." One cyclops said to another. "I know I'm getting it too. We should go head back to the boss to see what he wants us to do." With that, the two of them turned and walked directly into Ethan. With one swift motion, he conjured shadows to muffle the screams and simultaneously sliced one of the cyclopes heads clean off. He took his mask off, made his eyes go black and stared directly into the others eye. A twisted smile curled onto his face as the shadows slowly began to swallow the cyclops. It clawed at its throat trying to make any sort of sound, but alas, it was futile. The shadows consumed him and the cyclops was no more.

Ethan wiped his sword on the pants of the corpse before picking him up and dragging him into the base camp. "Hey Pyro, we have an issue." He motions to the decapitated cyclops. "He and his buddy were standing right outside the camp. They said something about informing the boss and we can't have that!" He pulled out his cigarettes and lit one up before continuing. "My plan was to just kill him so I could still talk to him. Buuuuut. I got a little carried away." He took a long drag off his cigarette and blew out a smoke ring. "I'm going to need your help to reattach this bad boy so we can ask him some questions." He put his cigarette out and picked up the head. "So what do you think big fella?"

Leo looked at Ethan and his friend, right before the decapitated cyclops turned into golden dust.
".....Yyyyyeeeaaahhh.... 'Bout that.  Guess you forgot dead monsters turn to dust, huh? How'd the Death guy's son forget that? Tsk tsk."

Just then, Dan materialized in all his coolness.
"What'r you lot goin on about?"

"Wraith wants to interrogate a pile of monster dust."

".....Yyyyyeeeaaahhh.... Good luck, bro."
He turned to Leo. 
"So, Pyro. Any news?"

"Yeah. Mostly complaining. Didja know they're only makin' minimum wage for this?"
"Useful news?"
"Ooooooh. Well, I did hear somethin' weird. Lotta them repeating it. They're wanting a seed to tell them something."
".....What?"
"I know, right? They keep goin', 'Tell us Seed!' And sometimes they just interject it randomly into sentences. Think there's some kinda bad mushroom down there infecting them?

Dan's eyes went wide. ".....Tell us seed? As in, Tellus Seed?"
"Oh yeah. I guess you're right. But why would the monsters be looking for a Tel-"

Then it was Leo's turn to have his eyes go wide. ".... Oh.... Carajo.
This had gone from 0 to 100 REAL quick.
"Alright. Hyperion's looking for a Tellus Seed. Wraith, that's the thing that gave me my unbeatable wind powers. I have no idea what this one will do, but Hyperion is looking for it, likely to try and get a leg up on us. So. Recon's over. Now, we got a heist to pull off."

Ethan's face instantly went from malicious grin to utter defeat in a mere moment. "OMG how could I forget?!?!" He pulled out his emergency flask and downed the entire thing. He let out a loud belch before lighting up a cigarette and hitting it non stop until it was out. 

"So what do we.....wait. A TELLUS SEED?!" Ethan's brain sluggish from the effects of the alcohol took a minute or two to piece everything together. "So Hyperion is looking for a Tellus Seed....you're powers came from a tellus seed.........WAIT! What if we got it first?! We could keep golden boy from getting any stronger and we ourselves could get much much stronger." With that he pulled his mask down and pulled out his stygian iron sword. "Looks like we've got quite the heist to pull off. You ready boys?"

On 4/13/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kayderyn said:

"Looks like we've got quite the heist to pull off. You ready boys?"

That looks an awful lot like what you just said.
Yeah, I know. But not everyone can be as cool as me, let him have it.

"Im just as gung ho as you guys, but we have a small problem. They haven't found the seed yet. Which means no one has any idea where it is. Other than it's in that cave. How exactly are we going to find it?"

That.... was a good point.

"Unless my sexy thief boy can sense other Tellus Seeds, we're really no better off than the monsters are. Actually, we're at a DISadvantage, because there's 3 of us to gods know how many of them looking for it."

"And no, I cannot sense other Tellus Seeds. I'm a Tellan. Someone who's eaten from a Tellus Seed. In Tellus Mater, especially in Alterion, I am immensely more powerful. Its said there's not a force in the world that can defeat a Tellan in Alterion. Except for some kind of energy or something. But, none of it's here; I'd know if there was."

"Point being: Before the heist can start, we need to find the seed. Any ideas?"

After about a minute of silence, Leo spoke up again.

"Well... Maybe if you put more sonar orbs in more parts the cave system, I'd pick up a room they haven't found yet?"

Ethan shook his head a bit and lit a cigarette. "I guess I could shadow travel deeper into the cave this time and just lay them around everywhere." He takes a long drag off of his cigarette before continuing. "How many more sensors do you have fire boy?" Ethan was having a bit of issue trying to think of anything else that might help them locate this Tellus Seed. He suddenly had an idea. "Leo if I can sneak you deep enough into the cave would that help you find it a bit easier? I've been working on a way of cloaking another person in shadows and keeping them from being noticed. I'm about 95% sure that it would work." He took a couple more drags from his cigarette before snuffing it out and tossing it into the woods. He walked up and grabbed another load of sensors. "You see if you can think of anything to help us out. I'm gonna go place some more sensors. I should be back within an hour or two."

With that shadows swirled up around his feet and swallowed him. As he made his way back to the cave he thought about what would happen if Hyperion got his hands on a Tellus Seed. Completely distracted he almost ran straight into a cyclops but he managed to dodge to the left just in time. He kept to the shadows until he got to about where he was before. He started traveling down offshoots and placing sensors everywhere hoping that Pyro's monitor was lighting up like a christmas tree. He traveled further and further in. Eventually he started getting tired and it started getting harder and harder to keep in the shadows. He found an abandoned dead end and phased back into existance. As he sat there taking a break he kept his eyes and ears peeled for anything. After about 5 minutes of rest he heard the sound of several monsters talking as they were walking out towards the exit. 

"We are getting cloossssse. We have reached sssssome ssssort of door that we can't get through." Said one voice that obviously belonged to dracinae.

Then a deeper more masculine voice responded. "We need to inform Hyperion that we are close. He'll want to know. Hopefully we can find it before the week is out. But who knows what challenges await us on the other side of that door."

The voices slowly trailed off as they walked towards the entrance and Ethan's heart rate shot through the roof. They were getting close. He had to find this door and get information back to Joker and Pyro as soon as possible. With a renewed vigor he cloaked himself in shadows once more and started sprinting through the caves dropping a sensor every 30 feet or so. About 30 to 45 minutes later and many countless turns he found the door. He took a sensor and hid it behind a wooden pillar that was helping support the cave system. The door was very obviously a door but it showed no hints as to how to open it. There was a crack around the edge of the door but there was no handle or anything like that. He memorized everything about the door and the caverns and path that led to here. 

Checking to make sure that there was no one around he touched his comm device and whispered in to it. "Pyro....Joker....I'm on my way back. I have incredible news. See you soon." And with that he cloaked himself in shadow yet again and high tailed it towards the entrance and started making his way towards his friends and compatriots.

After everyone was done with their discussion, Dan grabbed some more sensors and left for the cave again. While sure, he WAS putting them down, Dan was.... well...
Alright he was stealing wallets. He couldn't help it. He was a Hermes boy, what did one expect?

In addition, his curiosity was coming into play. He wondered what effects a Cyclops hair or Dracena fang would have on potions. Probably nothing, but it wouldn't hurt to try. Once they had the seed, he'd just take a few. Just enough to experiment.

Dan was aware of the nickname a few of the students in Bronte were giving him when they thought he couldn't hear; The Mad Alchemist.

Well, they're not wrong.
Shut up.

Then, he heard Ethan speak.

On 8/4/2019 at 2:55 PM, Kayderyn said:

"Pyro....Joker....I'm on my way back. I have incredible news. See you soon."

"So long as it isn't 'olds' by the time you get here."

"Wow Pyro. Even for you, that was bad. I'm coming back too. Wraith, this had better live up to the hype."

Dan slipped right back out of the cave, and headed back to the hideout.